• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawkian said:
Ah 1-8 I see. Didn't know that you could select spells that way too...

I'm referring to the "Favorites" in Skyrim though, don't know how it works exactly, but...

Sounds a lot better than 8 presets. Don't know how they pulled it off exactly but sounds good.

Set a favorite in the main inventory, then press up on the d-pad when you want to access it.

Fjordson

Seeing people on GameFAQs talk about the game actually looking better when not installed to the HDD. Most noticeably textures. This sound right to anyone with a 360 copy? Doesn't make much sense to me.

web01

Hmm I just read somewhere that lvling up skills has absolutely no effect on damage etc except for allowing you to unlock perks, surely that cannot be correct. Can anyone with a early copy confirm or deny this?

akira28

I'm going to try to use willpower to wait to buy this. I have Dark Souls and BF3, and those are long and meant to last. Maybe I can dedicate the new year to Skyrim.

Lakitu

st5fu
Fjordson said:
Seeing people on GameFAQs talk about the game actually looking better when not installed to the HDD. Most noticeably textures. This sound right to anyone with a 360 copy? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, me neither. Still, I'm installing to HDD no matter what. Won't be able to stand the noise of my 360 for 300 hours.

Woorloog

Banned
Omi said:
People should just use UTC +/-n

Life would be so much simpler.
Amen to that.

Fjordson said:
The fuck? Doesn't make any sense, need confirmation with pics ASAP!

Aselith

Have they started preloading with Steam yet? Seems like they're going down to the wire if not. I just got it on D2D and I need to start preloading asap as I'm on satellite. :/

thundr51

With this game coming out I'll finally be able to walk around in human form without getting invaded in Dark Souls!

Then again, i'll be too busy playing this myself.. Sorry DS.

web01 said:
Hmm I just read somewhere that lvling up skills has absolutely no effect on damage etc except for allowing you to unlock perks, surely that cannot be correct. Can anyone with a early copy confirm or deny this?

correct. There are perks that make you more powerful in each weapon style.

Gravijah

Fjordson said:

maybe part of the day 1 patch?

Fjordson said:

The only 360 game that performed worse once installed was Halo 3 (which I think was eventually fixed in a patch?), I can't imagine this is the case.

Wallach

web01 said:

According to the instruction manual, that is incorrect. Damage is calculated by weapon, skill level, and perk selection.

Arcipello said:
so even if i recieve my PC retail copy ealier than 11.11.11 i wont be able to play it until then?
Correct. Steam required. I just hope it will be unlocked here in the UK at a reasonable time, preferably 00:01. Better not be another F1 2010 which didn't unlock until 4pm!

Arcipello

Slackbladder said:
Correct. Steam required. I just hope it will be unlocked here in the UK at a reasonable time, preferably 00:01. Better not be another F1 2010 which didn't unlock until 4pm!

PC master race... not so masterful :(

I tried Oblivion on the PC with a controller and it's impossible. Even with Xpadder it can't be done, mainly because the movement on the left stick is ridiculously over-sensitive or it uses the WASD of the keyboard. You end up walking around like you're pissed, completely unable to walk in a straight line.
Oh well. Just a few more days.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i hope im not the only one who has the sountrack on loop while hes in the office D:

Plasma

Banned
Slackbladder said:

Most of the time they unlock at midnight so fingers crossed, nothing is more frustrating than having the game right there in front of you and knowing you can't play it.

reektann

Gorgon said:
Reviwers have "review copies", which aren't the final build.

They looked pretty final to me - in sealed 360 cases like you'd see in the shops. I think this was just more of a delayed announcement for hype week.

reektann said:
They looked pretty final to me - in sealed 360 cases like you'd see in the shops. I think this was just more of a delayed announcement for hype week.

On the blog they say they had 20+ versions of the game to make, some versions could've been finished earlier than others and they went officially gold when they were all done.

SorchaR

Slackbladder said:
I tried Oblivion on the PC with a controller and it's impossible. Even with Xpadder it can't be done, mainly because the movement on the left stick is ridiculously over-sensitive or it uses the WASD of the keyboard. You end up walking around like you're pissed, completely unable to walk in a straight line.
Oh well. Just a few more days.

You can make the controller work with an external program like Xpadder, but if I remember correctly you have to make some ini tweaks first to turn the original settings off.
here's a guide:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...troller-working-100/page__hl__controller+x360

I never had any problems with walking too fast, but I've always used Pinnacle rather then xpadder. I'm not sure if that makes a difference though.

Echoplx

Maybe it's just me but I don't know why anyone would choose gamepad over kb/m for RPGs if they had the choice

Dem hotkeys.

NBtoaster

3chopl0x said:
Maybe it's just me but I don't know why anyone would choose gamepad over kb/m for RPGs if they had the choice

Dem hotkeys.

With controller its easier to sit back and take in the world. They can have hotkeys too.

spekkeh

Banned
3chopl0x said:

Dem hotkeys.
The L/R triggers are made for two handed combat. Much more natural than inverse mouse clicking.
(plus you can lay back playing it on the couch)

Desaan

3chopl0x said:

Dem hotkeys.

Well that's easy, TVOUT a 46inch LED TV and a very comfy couch!

Ploid 3.0

I'd take controller anytime. It's very comfortable, not a lot of clicking, and it feels right for me. I could never get Oblivion to play well with controller, but Fallout NV was great with it. Oblivion seems like it tacked controller on. Also I so wish ME2 had controller support. I would have been finished with it by now if it did.

Something else, it's not a competitive game so you don't have any pressure to play with the best options that will give you a better edge.

Echoplx

Where's my backup?! I'm being overpowered by gamepad users D:

But seriously, I can understand those arguments. I've always been a PC gamer so those things don't really bother me as much. Saying that it effects immersion does seem just a bit silly to me though.

kevm3

What's odd is that I feel as time goes on, the series is becoming less feature-rich, but the gameplay is improving to the extent that I actually enjoy the series more, while wishing that some of the old features remained in the game. In Daggerfall, you could do things like climb, but I liked Oblivion was the one I played the longest. Hmmm.

Ploid 3.0

3chopl0x said:

But seriously, I can understand those arguments. I've always been a PC gamer so those things don't really bother me as much. Saying that it effects immersion does seem just a bit silly to me though.

I'm not knocking keyboard, just that controller allow you to be a lot more lazy. KB/M should make archers very awesome.

3chopl0x said:

Right here, I love keyboard and mouse and wouldn't have it any other way if it can helped. Only time I use my pad on the PC is for racing and vehicles in FPS

spekkeh

Banned
kevm3 said:
What's odd is that I feel as time goes on, the series is becoming less feature-rich, but the gameplay is improving to the extent that I actually enjoy the series more, while wishing that some of the old features remained in the game. In Daggerfall, you could do things like climb, but I liked Oblivion was the one I played the longest. Hmmm.
That's not really odd. All other media have long understood that less can be more.

(although yeah I too wish I could still buy houses and a boat)

Derrick01

Banned
3chopl0x said:

Dem hotkeys.

I easily trade a few hotkeys for being comfortable which I have pretty much accepted will never happen on a keyboard and mouse.

fbi said:
the story is great, very game of thrones

Having a really hard time believing that, Bethesda's no genius in the writing department. Unless you mean it's GoT in the sense that someone stabbed someone else in the back and that was it.

Hm, guys I'm not so big on this steamworks stuff but I'm hoping my retailer will have my copy around Wednesday (they usually get it a couple of days before tactual release date) so, you're telling me I won't be able to play until friday? :(
I'm getting a physical copy too, if that does even matter.

Derrick01 said:
Having a really hard time believing that, Bethesda's no genius in the writing department. Unless you mean it's GoT in the sense that someone stabbed someone else in the back and that was it.
Well, to tell you the truth story did seem much better than Oblivion from the get-go but it's not like that is very difficult to top, still with over 3 years in development I expect a somewhat solid main quest.

spekkeh

Banned
dondarm said:
Uh, houses are still in.
Oh right, but less, aren't there? I think it's also a bit where Daggerfall felt sort of procedurally generated, or there were just so incredibly many villages, that you felt you bought a house that nobody else in the world owned. That was your casa and it was the best thing ever.

Could just be pre-internet and teen me talking, dunno.

MrBig

Sutton Dagger said:
The only 360 game that performed worse once installed was Halo 3 (which I think was eventually fixed in a patch?), I can't imagine this is the case.
That was because H3 was released before installing was a feature and had an HDD pre-load of the maps from the disc to improve loading times that caused the maps to be loaded from the HDD twice when installed. That wouldn't really apply here.
I can't think of how it would be possible that skyrim would look worse when installed. If anything the textures would get decompressed (which it doesn't actually do) when installed to the HDD. I didn't see any visual difference when my friend installed the game.
I'm calling BS.

Gattsu25 said:
Wat?

How does that even make sense?
The controller is a less intrusive interface than the keyboard. I prefer to play SP games as well with a controller simply because it is so simple.

Derrick01

Banned
Tony Redgrave said:
Hm, guys I'm not so big on this steamworks stuff but I'm hoping my retailer will have my copy around Wednesday (they usually get it a couple of days before tactual release date) so, you're telling me I won't be able to play until friday? :(
I'm getting a physical copy too, if that does even matter.

Nope you won't be able to play until Steam activates the game which is midnight Friday morning. That's part of the reason why people use Steamworks so they don't really have to worry about pre-release piracy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
akira28 said:
I'm going to try to use willpower to wait to buy this. I have Dark Souls and BF3, and those are long and meant to last. Maybe I can dedicate the new year to Skyrim.
Wait until we have the PC version and the screen shots ah start ah flowing like the the fine wine WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I also hope the game isn't some 11GB DL. Of course I will DL whatever but the difference in DL time between 6GB and 11GB on Steam is like 4 hours. Oh well, I guess that's what pre loading is for. I'm pretty excited but have been staying away from nothing but a few screenshots that Boootay posted. It looks good but not direct feed good. And it's on PS3 so it looks good but not PC good :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom