• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerStepp

Extremely stupid/newb question, though I've been around a few years I've never questioned it:
How do some folks in these threads get their copies early? I've always assumed they're reviewing it or just lucky enough to be familiar with outlets that have broken street date?

Zep

Banned
DangerStepp said:
Extremely stupid/newb question, though I've been around a few years I've never questioned it:
How do some folks in these threads get their copies early? I've always assumed they're reviewing it or just lucky enough to be familiar with outlets that have broken street date?

Your answer for the most part.

Luthos

Hey Bootaaay, you said you were using archery. What's the most amount of arrows a human type enemy has taken? (or monsters for that matter?)

Archery in Oblivion would of been fine for me, if it didn't take 50 arrows to down a single enemy. I know it's an RPG, but I want it to realistically only take 1-3 arrows to down someone.

DangerStepp said:

Broken street dates. Anyone who has a copy for review is under NDA until the review embargo ends which is the end of the week.

Hawk269

DangerStepp said:

Well, there are alot of mom & pop (independent stores) that sell games early. When I lived closer to Santa Monica/L.A. (California) I had my choice of about 5 different stores who would get games early and sell them early. These are small stores, normally they only have one store perhaps some have more than 1, but they are small independent stores that dont care about street dates.

That is pretty much how most get games early, usually these stores are located in big cities like LA, New York etc. because for them to survive they rely on their customer base and the fact they get games early. 3-4 years ago, I could normally get any new title up to a week early...but now where I live, a 6 hour round trip is not worth it to me anymore.

Drazgul

john_trent11 said:
Broken street dates. Anyone who has a copy for review is under NDA until the review embargo ends which is the end of the week.

Not that they'd ever find out if you were posting under some random internet nick on a gaming forum.

And some people seem to have their early game purchases coincide with the leaked pirate releases - funny how that goes.

Neo 007 said:
Ok Gaf,give us some good Tamriel names for toons...

http://uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Names

Check the top of the page for a dedicated page on each of the races, should give you some ideas.

Wallach

Did that Fists of Steel perk actually make it in the game? On the images of the Heavy Armor constellation I don't see the spot where it would be on the left side.

Locke562

joseph1594 said:
I don't think he means level 70 has a hard level cap. What he probably means is that all of your skills will max out by level 70, thus making it impossible to level up further. To "raise" the level cap, you would have to make it where your skills could go over 100.

Or you could get thrown in prison which will reduce your skills. Then all you have to do is level them again and repeat the process... INFINITE LEVELS!

fbi said:
the story is great, very game of thrones

Awww shiiit.

joffrey-clap.gif

W1SSY

I need to stop visiting this thread. Each time I come here I just want to get the game even more, but I have so many games I need to finish.

I'm ready.

MAIN: male orc spellsword, heavy armor, good

ALT 1: male khajiit stealth archer, light armor, evil

ALT 2: female altmer mage, robes, good

GavinGT

Banned
-GOUKI- said:
OMG hahaha. I think we have our first glitch. Either that or Giants in the game have hulk powers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPaSBB5jsi8

minor spoilers

Yep, happens every time.

The only glitchy thing I've encountered is that occasionally when fighting someone, their body will momentarily appear to levitate a couple feet above ground. Then they'll just return to the ground without missing a beat. They're only up there for a fraction of a second, but it's pretty noticeable and it's happened a couple times already.

Luthos

CrankyKong said:
Is there much variety in the environments?
So far I've only seen snowy/rocky plains
I believe so. That autumn looking forest I've seen looks amazing. It's all orange, with leaves on the ground everywhere.

But I'm cool with it anyway. Snow is like my favorite environment in games. (that and rainy scenes)

fbi

Banned
Luthos said:
Hey Bootaaay, you said you were using archery. What's the most amount of arrows a human type enemy has taken? (or monsters for that matter?)

Archery in Oblivion would of been fine for me, if it didn't take 50 arrows to down a single enemy. I know it's an RPG, but I want it to realistically only take 1-3 arrows to down someone.
I'm using archery and it sucked at first but
It gets a lot more powerful. One shot kills for most average game and I'm at level 17 char but 42 archery. Also you getba slow down perk. Basically I'm the max Payne of skyrim. Aldo took down a dragon with just my archery skills. And a heap of frost resistance.

Luthos

fbi said:
I'm using archery and it sucked at first but
It gets a lot more powerful. One shot kills for most average game and I'm at level 17 char but 42 archery. Also you getba slow down perk. Basically I'm the max Payne of skyrim. Aldo took down a dragon with just my archery skills. And a heap of frost resistance.
Thanks for answering. Sounds good. I might have more fun with my thief/assassin character this time.

Are giants neutral or what? In that video posted above it became aggressive within a close proximity and in the E3 demonstration they attacked once the player assaulted the mammoth.

spekkeh

Banned
fbi said:
As for story, I never played morrowind or oblivion but the story is great, very game of thrones
I reckon you'd like the story even more if you had played those games as comparison. I hope this will be the first TES game I manage to actually finish to completion (although I fear Zelda is going to cause a short pause).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Re: trying oblivion on default difficulty:

I just went into an Oblivion gate and I'm sort of getting my ass kicked. I think I'm not really getting the combat yet... I don't have the kind of weapon I wanna use yet either so it's tricky to tell. Definitely feels like it's not really meant to be played with mouse and keyboard at first.

Looks like I have a handful of spells, any way can I switch between them without using the menu?

Right off the bat I can tell what a good addition the quick selecty thing in Skyrim is going to be.

Rapstah

Hawkian said:
Re: trying oblivion on default difficulty:

I just went into an Oblivion gate and I'm sort of getting my ass kicked. I think I'm not really getting the combat yet... I don't have the kind of weapon I wanna use yet either so it's tricky to tell. Definitely feels like it's not really meant to be played with mouse and keyboard at first.

Looks like I have a handful of spells, any way can I switch between them without using the menu?

Right off the bat I can tell what a good addition the quick selecty thing in Skyrim is going to be.
Oblivion did have quick select at least for items with the d-pad on consoles. I think it involved the number keys on PC?

robin2

Question:

Does it have regional locking? I'd like to buy the uk version from amazon-uk, but being from outside uk.

Thanks

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Rapstah said:
Oblivion did have quick select at least for items with the d-pad on consoles. I think it involved the number keys on PC?
Ah 1-8 I see. Didn't know that you could select spells that way too...

I'm referring to the "Favorites" in Skyrim though, don't know how it works exactly, but...
The way the Favorites system works in Skyrim is much different (and better) than the quick select in Oblivion. You have no limit to the amount of things you can set as favorites.

Sounds a lot better than 8 presets. Don't know how they pulled it off exactly but sounds good.

Mastperf

Gravijah said:
iirc early impressions were that the ps3 version looked better while the 360 version ran better.
I think that was just one guy and another guy who played and compared both said he was wrong.

GreekWolf

Mastperf said:
I think that was just one guy and another guy who played and compared both said he was wrong.
I fully expect the same result as FO3 and New Vegas. Both versions will have distinct advantages, but one will suffer a few more chugs/glitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom