• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker

Tony Redgrave said:
Hm, guys I'm not so big on this steamworks stuff but I'm hoping my retailer will have my copy around Wednesday (they usually get it a couple of days before tactual release date) so, you're telling me I won't be able to play until friday? :(
I'm getting a physical copy too, if that does even matter.

Well, to tell you the truth story did seem much better than Oblivion from the get-go but it's not like that is very difficult to top, still with over 3 years in development I expect a somewhat solid main quest.

Wondering also...don`t tell me this game can`t be played if you are not connected to the internet on PC...?

Derrick01 said:
Nope you won't be able to play until Steam activates the game which is midnight Friday morning. That's part of the reason why people use Steamworks so they don't really have to worry about pre-release piracy.
Well that's a boomer, pardon my ignorance again but, is this worldwide? I live in EU and I've never seen anything like this before, I think I've only had to wait for one game ever to lift a time limit. But yeah, I'm just frustrated right now :/

moojito

Getting worried by the lack of a pre-load on steam for this. I've never preordered anything on steam before though. Anyone know if preloads normally happen 1-2 days before launch?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
moojito said:
Getting worried by the lack of a pre-load on steam for this. I've never preordered anything on steam before though. Anyone know if preloads normally happen 1-2 days before launch?
Could be today. Could be in 2 days. It should be soon.

???????

WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Solo

moojito said:

Not that a pre-load even matters (because this game is so tiny), but to quell your fears, RAGE didn't get pre-loaded until the day before release, and that game was a huge 22GB, not a dinky little 3.8GB like Skyrim.

Derrick01

Banned
Tony Redgrave said:
Well that's a boomer, pardon my ignorance again but, is this worldwide? I live in EU and I've never seen anything like this before, I think I've only had to wait for one game ever to lift a time limit. But yeah, I'm just frustrated right now :/

Yeah I imagine it's the same and will unlock whenever it hits midnight where you are.

Dries

So guys, has there been any word from Bethesda about the PC version? The last console to PC ports (DE:HR and BF3) both had issues with stuttering.. Stuttering seems to be the latest trend nowadays. So anyway, has Bethesda given out a word of reassurance or something?

Dries said:
So guys, has there been any word from Bethesda about the PC version? The last console to PC ports (DE:HR and BF3) both had issues with stuttering.. Stuttering seems to be the latest trend nowadays. So anyway, has Bethesda given out a word of reassurance or something?
Hm, don't want to sound like an arsehole or anything but I played DX:HM in PC and had no sluttering at all, however I have a pretty solid RIG.
I can tell you however that the sluttering in FNV was pretty much a memory issue, so I guess it depends on how well has Bethesda optimized the game, but judging the installation size I'd say they'd make a good job at compressing at least.

FHIZ

I've been literally glued to this thread for the past day or two. God I need this game in my life now. The only thing that's going to kill me is New Egg's shipping of it. I had to go for the cheaper price, but I guess I may have to wait until saturday, or worst case scenario, monday, before I can play it.

Solo

Derrick01 said:
I think he was joking but lately he's right, it has been an ATI problem.

Bingo. I was intentionally being an ass, but there is truth to it too. Rage had a boatload of issues on ATI cards but ran flawlessly on my GTX570.

Midou

Solo said:
Bingo. I was intentionally being an ass, but there is truth to it too. Rage had a boatload of issues on ATI cards but ran flawlessly on my GTX570.

To be fair, the RAGE issues were a mix of AMD's poor Open GL and Id's inability to properly test their product before launch. I mean it is easy enough to blame AMD, but Id could have easily worked with them when they saw the mess that was release RAGE.

Now the game is Blue on my card too, hilarious, this time its AMD's fault though, cause a driver update broke it.

MrBig

Dries said:
BF3 was developed as a PC lead game. Stuttering came from driver problems.
Bethesda's PC/360 versions are pretty much identical in terms of the engine. Stuff can pretty much be ported directly between them with very little hassle. Don't worry.

Morokh

Ricker said:
Wondering also...don`t tell me this game can`t be played if you are not connected to the internet on PC...?

you should be able to play offline, but you must activate it at least once online, after that, put Steam in Offline mode, and play your game.

LiquidMetal14

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Yea, if my 2gb unlocked 6950 has issues with this game, well I'll have issues with this game to say the least.
I have the same GPU except mine is a GIGABYTE 2GB and I flashed it with a max OC. I have yet to experience any stuttering in a game.

Keasar

MrBig said:
BF3 was developed as a PC lead game. Stuttering came from driver problems.
Bethesda's ports have been solid, no reason to worry.
Except apparently they switched lead platform in the middle of the development to consoles (BF3 I mean).

Dries said:

I had no stuttering from the PC version of BF3, and I believe many issues had to due with a lack of VRAM with higher settings for some people. (Namely Ultra settings with 1Gb cards.)

LiquidMetal14

Keasar said:
Except apparently they switched lead platform in the middle of the development to consoles (BF3 I mean).
That's BS market speak really. I mean DICE has been great with their console ports and to say that post release is like trying to please the console fans and reassure them that the product is even better since some magic shift in the middle of development too place.

Solo

Its not like Skyrim is really going to push your GPU like The Witcher 2 anyways. I suspect that performance will be good across the board.

Seep

fbi said:
The framerate has occasional problems but nothing to distracting. I've pumped about 25 hours into it so far and feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm up to my second city, doing as much as possible and taking my time.

Games epic.
Any screen tearing going on at all?

moojito said:

Preload was confirmed by Deacon on twitter about a week ago. Here's a link.

Razorskin

----- ------
I can't wait to experience the game with my surround sound system, hopefully it has superb sound design. Last game I played that wowed me in the sound department was Bad Company 2.

This game is just really very beautiful, each new area has a different look and feel and some really epic scenery. The world definitely has a lot more visual diversity than Cyrodil and some beautiful sights to be seen;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0208.jpg

Loving every minute of it so far.

Also, someone asked for pictures of the houses you can buy a few pages back, here's the one's I've found;

Riften; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0189.jpg
Whiterun; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0135.jpg
Windhelm; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0187.jpg

tuco11 said:
To those who have played it.. how easily have you found dragon word walls from just random exploring?

thanks

I've found one out in the wilderness, so they're not that common - that, or I haven't been looking in the right places :p

Dries

Solo said:

The games ran fine om my 6970 too, don't get me wrong. With DE:HR I even had constant 60 fps, but the stuttering remained. It was a pretty widespread problem, but not everyone, obviously, suffered from it. The BF3 stutter isn't really bad actually.

DICE said they are patching it and the problem occured because the mouse was directly inputting mouse movements while the engine was outputting controller movements or something.

Just hoping Bethesda won't fall into that same trap.

Razorskin

----- ------
Razorskin said:
Bootaaay, have you found Triple H in Skyrim?

2WJLS.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
Bootaaay said:
This game is just really very beautiful, each new area has a different look and feel and some really epic scenery. The world definitely has a lot more visual diversity than Cyrodil and some beautiful sights to be seen;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0208.jpg

Loving every minute of it so far.

Also, someone asked for pictures of the houses you can buy a few pages back, here's the one's I've found;

Riften; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0189.jpg
Whiterun; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0135.jpg
Windhelm; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0187.jpg

That first screen is so beautiful. 4 days... 4 days... counting down doesn't seem to be helping. Thanks for the continuous impressions and screens.

How much do the houses in Riften and Windhelm cost?

Hey Bootaay, is your character beginning to feel more and more powerful? I don't know if I played Oblivion wrong, but I never felt that my character was really growing stronger.

If you've already talked about this, my apologies. Been trying to keep up with thread, but have been studying for a test.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anyone know when Steam will pre load and unlock? I'm going to a midnight launch, but if I get home and Steam prevents me from playing at 12:10 EST, I'm going to go insane.

Xdrive05

Will the PC version have plug-n-play 360 gamepad support? I dont remember Oblivion supporting it but I know most modern multiplat PC games will...

I didnt get a chance to see that 25 minute video that leaked onto YT, but I was definitely there to watch peeps rip it a new one. Yesterday I watched the E3 '011 G4 (i know, i know) interview with Howard and it showed plenty of gameplay and everything looked fine and beautiful to me ( I hadnt seen the game in action before). The dragon scenes were incredible. Before I was on the fence, now Im sold. Good thing Ive got a four day weekend.

nastynate409 said:
Hey Bootaay, is your character beginning to feel more and more powerful? I don't know if I played Oblivion wrong, but I never felt that my character was really growing stronger.

Yeah, it definitely feels like my character is becoming more capable - enemies like wolf packs or groups of bandits might have given me trouble early on, but now I'm tearing through them. However, the more I've explored, the more enemies I've encountered, and creatures like Ice Trolls, Hagravens and Spriggans have been very challenging enemies. Also, dragons are just difficult full stop, especially if you're attacked by one in the open with no cover.

Lakitu said:
How much do the houses in Riften and Windhelm cost?

I don't know yet - if it's anything like Whiterun, I'll need to complete some quests for the Jarls of each city before they let me buy property. There's so much stuff to do though, I haven't gotten round to it yet - currently I've got 8 quests and 16 minor quests active, lol.

Razorskin said:

I think I've seen the Triple H NPC, for a quest in Whiterun, but there are a fair few nord dudes in the game that look like him :p

Awesome Bootaay, thanks for the reply. I like challenging enemies, but hate challenging things that I feel like my character is way past having to struggle against.

LiquidMetal14

Xdrive05 said:
Will the PC version have plug-n-play 360 gamepad support? I dont remember Oblivion supporting it but I know most modern multiplat PC games will...
Dind't someone mention Fallout 3 or NV having native controller support? I wouldn't worry if that's the case.

LiquidMetal14

Boootay, thanks for your responses. Could you please spoiler some details, you know what I mean. I know the map details but incase something comes up that is too sensitive I would like to be as spoiler free as possible. Your impressions have been great thus far.

Damn, DP. Forgot I posted already.

Quikies83

Any of you playing advanced copies have it for PS3? If so, how's it running?

For 360 - what's the HDD space requirement for game install??

Nat3yBo1

Neo Member
The long anticipated Elder Scolls V is finally upon us all!! I'm excited!! I just beat GOW3 on INSANE and that was the last game in my back log! I'm ready for this!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Has any of you that have played the game become a vampire yet? I am just curious if it's anywhere near as annoying as oblivion :p

LiquidMetal14

Dries said:
Wondering if the enviroments of this game will surpass the current king of enviroments: The Witcher 2.
Maybe with mods, nothing I've seen looks as good as The Witcher 2 Assasins of Kings™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom