• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Dries said:
Wondering if the enviroments of this game will surpass the current king of enviroments: The Witcher 2.

That won't be surpassed for a loooooong time. The artistry + technical muscle on display was unparalleled.

Midou

Solo said:
That won't be surpassed for a loooooong time. The artistry + technical muscle on display was unparalleled.

Yeah, a game with a large open world like Skyrim would have far too much trouble achieving that level of detail in its environments.

I was totally ready to do nothing but play Skyrim this weekend...then my parents decided to come visit. Screw them, though! :p

For those already playing...is there anything graphic (i.e. gorey violence, etc.) so far that the typical judgmental old fogies would find offensive? I refuse to give up my couch. Been waiting too long for this game.

Just requested my day off from work on the 11th... had a few more unscheduled days left for the year anyway. Hope the game actually releases early.

Loxley

Pai Pai Master said:
For those already playing...is there anything graphic (i.e. gorey violence, etc.) so far that the typical judgmental old fogies would find offensive? I refuse to give up my couch. Been waiting too long for this game.

I haven't played it (yet...), but I believe that the only real "gory" element of Skyrim comes in the vein of random decapitations through some of the flavor animations in melee combat. It's violence level is basically on the level of The Fellowship of the Ring.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Pai Pai Master said:
I was totally ready to do nothing but play Skyrim this weekend...then my parents decided to come visit. Screw them, though! :p

Better not loot anyone's armour and leave them naked in the forest.

Houston3000 said:
Just requested my day off from work on the 11th... had a few more unscheduled days left for the year anyway. Hope the game actually releases early.

I did the same, except I got denied because we're crunching. Not to mention I totally spaced out weeks ago and volunteered to run camera at an event Friday night.

So to recap my 11-11-11:

1) Requested day off, told no because of crunch. (at least the days denied roll over)

2) Had a plan to only work a half day because the carpet cleaners gave me a four hour window they'd show up in. Wife then informs me she has "Skyrim day" off, so I don't need to stay home.

3) Remembered I'd volunteered to run camera Friday night.

Awesome.

FHIZ

So what's the limitations of guilds I can join? Like, if I join the Dark Brotherhood, does that mean I can't join the others? Or do certain guilds block out others. I remember joining all of them in Oblivion, but I can't for the life of me remember if it was just because I created multiple characters.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Bootaaay said:
This game is just really very beautiful, each new area has a different look and feel and some really epic scenery. The world definitely has a lot more visual diversity than Cyrodil and some beautiful sights to be seen;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0208.jpg

Loving every minute of it so far.

Also, someone asked for pictures of the houses you can buy a few pages back, here's the one's I've found;

Riften; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0189.jpg
Whiterun; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0135.jpg
Windhelm; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0187.jpg

I've found one out in the wilderness, so they're not that common - that, or I haven't been looking in the right places :p

Hey Bootaaay, Can you give you tell us if the PS3 version is up to par compared to the 360 footage around the web? Any real issues (see Fallout 3) so far? Or we good to go with PS3?

Lakitu

st5fu
FHIZ said:
So what's the limitations of guilds I can join? Like, if I join the Dark Brotherhood, does that mean I can't join the others? Or do certain guilds block out others. I remember joining all of them in Oblivion, but I can't for the life of me remember if it was just because I created multiple characters.

You can join as many factions as you like with a single character.

Edit: The poster below me is correct.

CrazyDude

FHIZ said:
The only limitation is between the rebels and the imperials.

SarBear

I've never played a western RPG before, but I think I'm going to give Skyrim a try. I watched a couple of lengthy previews before and it seems really intriguing.

I can't say how sucked into the world of the game I will become because of other games and school, but I'm definitely going to invest some solid time into it and be open as possible.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SarBear said:
I've never played a western RPG before, but I think I'm going to give Skyrim a try. I watched a couple of lengthy previews before and it seems really intriguing.

I can't say how sucked into the world of the game I will become because of other games and school, but I'm definitely going to invest some solid time into it and be open as possible.
If you can be open to it then it should grow on you. If you don't like the idea of walking around and exploring worlds in a realistic matter (by walking OMG) then you may think it's too methodical. Just don't buy it due to the hype. If you truly think you can get lost in this game and fully enjoy it, then buy it. If you have no time to fully appreciate it, I would wait for a time when you can devote yourself to this game. It's worth it and far more engaging/rewarding in that manner.

CrazyDude

SarBear said:

You will hate it for a little bit, but don't give up on it. It will just click eventually. Then again, you may love it from the start. Just stating my own experiences.

FHIZ

Lakitu said:
You can join as many factions as you like with a single character.

Edit: The poster below me is correct.

CrazyDude said:
The only limitation is between the rebels and the imperials.

Awesome, thanks. I have no idea what the Rebels and Imperials are, guessing story related? Haven't been keeping up on that for obvious reasons.

Loxley said:
I haven't played it (yet...), but I believe that the only real "gory" element of Skyrim comes in the vein of random decapitations through some of the flavor animations in melee combat. It's violence level is basically on the level of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Meh, that's fine. In terms of action these games really aren't that graphic (not like Fallout obviously). Was just wondering if there was anything uncharacteristically gruesome that my mom's not gonna be too fond of, haha.

Dorfdad said:
Hey Bootaaay, Can you give you tell us if the PS3 version is up to par compared to the 360 footage around the web? Any real issues (see Fallout 3) so far? Or we good to go with PS3?

No real problems, although it did crash my PS3 once when transitioning from indoors to outdoors. Very occasionally it might stutter when autosaving, also the soft shadows on buildings and objects flicker when you move which can be a bit distracting, and the draw distance of the grass and foliage isn't very far, although no worse that what you'll have seen in the 360 footage.

SarBear said:

Really?

Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls game I REALLY got into (having briefly played Morrowind way back), so it's not quite the same situation, but I really really enjoyed it. The Elder Scrolls series is special in that way, and definitely a great "western" RPG to play if you've never played something like it.

I can't fucking wait to take over an abandoned house, or even a keep, and make it my home. I think the first thing I'll do, if it's still possible, is put an apple/carrot into a display case at said fortress.

I also requested Friday off, and my boss loved my reason :D

SarBear

CrazyDude said:
You will hate it for a little bit, but don't give up on it. It will just click eventually. Then again, you may love it from the start. Just stating my own experiences.

Why do you believe i would dislike it for a bit?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SarBear said:
Well, if you've never been intrigued by the freedom in computer RPGS, then maybe the lack of guidance will rub you the wrong way.

Solo

Derrick01 said:
Being exposed to a massive open world with almost no hand holding is intimidating at first. It hits everyone their first time through.

Come on, man! The minimap will have a huge icon directing him where to go for the next main questline mission.

CrazyDude

SarBear said:
Just because it takes sometime to get use how things work in the game and get past the non linearity. I played Fallout 3, and it was my first real non linear game that I could think of that didn't hold my hand throughout the game. The lack of direction gets to you for a little while before everything falls into place.

Woorloog

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Being exposed to a massive open world with almost no hand holding is intimidating at first. It hits everyone their first time through.
It still hits you 10th+ time in. I've played a lot of Morrowind, still have issues deciding what to do with new characters. Same with Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

SarBear said:

If you haven't played a western rpg, it may be a little overwhelming at first. Basically there's nothing that tells you exactly where you have to go at any given point; its always entirely up to you. Some people wouldn't know what to do with freedom if it kicked them in the ass!

abundant

Derrick01 said:
This is so true. Oblivion was my first open world RPG I've played and it was so overwhelming that I had to buy the strategy guide just to ease me in.

SarBear

Lyphen said:
Well, if you've never been intrigued by the freedom in computer RPGS, then maybe the lack of guidance will rub you the wrong way.

krpiper said:
Its a different play style not much hand holding and a different gaming experience in general

Derrick01 said:

So what I'm getting is that there's no real guidance? ;)

It's ok, I don't think I'll mind that too much. I've mentally told myself it's too different from a traditional JRPG for me to hold the same expectations from it. I just hope I don't wander in too strange a land and meet some level 100 holy devil dragon that wipes the floor with me due to my curiosity.

Having trouble deciding if I should play this on PC or 360.

My PC exceeds the minimum requirements, but definitely doesn't meet the recommended. (I can run DX:HR & Fallout New Vegas not maxed, but pretty well). I'm tempted to buy it on 360 because it'll "just work" but then I don't get the joys of modding.

Thoughts from those with more experience than me? Thanks!

Fou-Lu

Derrick01 said:

That was my favorite thing about first playing Morrowind, it didn't make me dislike the game, it made me want to keep playing just so I could figure out what the hell I could do.

DangerStepp

piratepwnsninja said:
I did the same, except I got denied because we're crunching. Not to mention I totally spaced out weeks ago and volunteered to run camera at an event Friday night.

So to recap my 11-11-11:

1) Requested day off, told no because of crunch. (at least the days denied roll over)

2) Had a plan to only work a half day because the carpet cleaners gave me a four hour window they'd show up in. Wife then informs me she has "Skyrim day" off, so I don't need to stay home.

Awesome.
Yeah, I think I'm going to do the same thing but if not, thank goodness it drops on a Friday!

Solo

CrazyDude said:
Yeah, but the core of the game isn't the main story.

Sure, but my point was simply that, if you let it be one, every Elder Scrolls game can be a pretty guided experience.

CrazyDude

SarBear said:

It's ok, I don't think I'll mind that too much. I've mentally told myself it's too different from a traditional JRPG for me to hold the same expectations from it. I just hope I don't wander in too strange a land and meet some level 100 holy devil dragon that wipes the floor with me due to my curiosity.
Well everybody is different.

Woorloog

Banned
SarBear said:

Guidance? Follow the quest marker (and use Clairvoyance spell which shows the route to chosen quest marker).

krpiper

Epyon MX said:
Having trouble deciding if I should play this on PC or 360.

My PC exceeds the minimum requirements, but definitely doesn't meet the recommended. (I can run DX:HR & Fallout New Vegas not maxed, but pretty well). I'm tempted to buy it on 360 because it'll "just work" but then I don't get the joys of modding.

Thoughts from those with more experience than me? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to the 360, and double dip on steam when the mods are out and such

KingK

CrazyDude said:

Yeah, I had never really been a fan of WRPGs, and I really didn't like Oblivion at all when I tried playing that years ago. When I got Fallout 3 though, Bethesda's style of game just "clicked" with me all of a sudden, and now I can't wait for Skyrim. It makes me kind of regret that I didn't stick with Oblivion a little longer and give it a fair chance. I really did not like the leveling system in that game though, so I'm glad they've changed Skyrim's to be a bit more like Fallout.

Derrick01

Banned
Solo said:
Come on, man! The minimap will have a huge icon directing him where to go for the next main questline mission.

I've seen people get angry because they didn't know where to go in New Vegas when they stepped outside of the doctor's house, despite the game auto selecting the next main story quest as active with the marker and everything.

Besides quest markers and directions aren't what I was talking about. Even for veterans like me it's still intimidating knowing you have this massive world at your disposal from the moment you leave the intro area. What do you do first? There's so much to choose from.

piratepwnsninja said:

So to recap my 11-11-11:

Awesome.
Well, I just sent the request off, my boss hasn't approved it yet. She keeps walking by my desk to and from meetings - it's a little short notice to request a day off technically less than a week in advance.

I also have plans Friday night though... or if I'm home I guess a little earlier in the afternoon. I wasn't really thinking and told my friend a week or two ago that I would go out with her on the 11th - she wants to take me to some shops on 5th Avenue and buy me clothes for my birthday during some big sales she know of. I'd hate turning down the opportunity for some chick with a good sense of fashion to pick me out expensive clothes for free so I'm taking advantage. Hopefully it's just a couple hours though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't see why anyone with a competent PC won't get it there. Even if you play on mid settings, it will still look good. And then there's the resolution and frame rate bump.

Woorloog

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
God I am dying for PC footage. Cannot believe I have to wait until Friday
Think of shown trailers, mentally make them slightly better (more shadows, a higher texture resolution, all that shit). You won't be looking at Crysis 2-, BF3- or Witcher 2-level game.
Menus will be shitty with KB/M, there will be tons of stuttering and other issues and then Steam crashes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I can't fucking wait to take over an abandoned house, or even a keep, and make it my home. I think the first thing I'll do, if it's still possible, is put an apple/carrot into a display case at said fortress.

probably my favorite part of Morrowind - and a big reason i loved Animal Crossing so much.

can't wait to find a nice house, get a horse + a dog. then roam around leveling up and finding sweet loot... this is gonna be my zen game - i really don't care about playing through the story.

Midou

Derrick01 said:
I've seen people get angry because they didn't know where to go in New Vegas when they stepped outside of the doctor's house, despite the game auto selecting the next main story quest as active with the marker and everything.

Besides quest markers and directions aren't what I was talking about. Even for veterans like me it's still intimidating knowing you have this massive world at your disposal from the moment you leave the intro area. What do you do first? There's so much to choose from.

Yes, I can see it being quite intimidating to new people, as it sometimes still is for players who have played a lot of them. At least personally, I like to explore and just go out on my own, but sometimes I'm still afraid I'm doing something in the wrong order, even though I know deep down that probably isn't true.

If someone can get over this initial shock that you play your way instead of the game's way (see FFXIII*), you can have an entirely different kind of fun.

*I actually don't mind FFXIII, but that is a good opposite game. :p

Tetsuo9

herzogzwei1989 said:
God I am dying for PC footage. Cannot believe I have to wait until Friday
Yeah, at this point I'm really kinda worried that something is wrong about the PC version, why not to show it to the PC community if it looks really good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom