• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Tetsuo9 said:
Yeah, at this point I'm really kinda worried that something is wrong about the PC version, why not to show it to the PC community if it looks really good?

Because PC makes up like 10% of the sales and Bethesda doesn't give a fuck. Us PC gamers will have to wait 4 more days to see it.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hole. Lee. Shit... I really thought all these people talking about playing over the weekend were getting review copies or early hook ups or something. I had no idea this actually came out on a Friday. YES!!! This is like finding a $20 in the wash!!!

Edit - More like finding a $100 in the wash!

Midou

Tetsuo9 said:
Yeah, at this point I'm really kinda worried that something is wrong about the PC version, why not to show it to the PC community if it looks really good?

I'd imagine it's just a deal with MS to point as many people to the 360 version as possible. I'm not saying its a dirty tactic or that its some conspiracy theory, it just seems logical.

Echoplx

Apparently here's 'proof' of the texture difference, lemez means disc.

iC40Y4Rfn4Eg4.jpg

krpiper

Lakitu said:
I'd believe it if that guy had a modican of proof. He doesn't. Until it comes out from more reputable places, then I'll start to worry.

I doubt Beth is that stupid to make such an error

CyReN

CrazyDude said:
So what do you think of the game compared to Oblivion?

I was more of a Fallout fan than Oblivion fan tbh, but this gaming is winning me over so far. If you like either of those there's no reason why you should pick this up.

CrazyDude

CyReN said:
I was more of a Fallout fan then Oblivion fan tbh, but this gaming is winning me over so far. If you like either of those there's no reason why you should pick this up.
Just what I wanted to hear.

Wonder how long until The Elder Scrolls Construction Set is out for this game. I didn't play with it much in Oblivion but in Morrowind I had so much fun building my own houses. Even when I wasn't building my own houses I was changing the layout of the guild hall rooms to make them super personalized. Wish you all could have seen my awesome room I built in the Mages Guild Hall in Caldera and Balmora, along with my sick ass digs in Vivec and Tel Aruhn.

ironcreed

Banned
New preview from the guy reviewing it for OXM.

Why I did not want the Skyrim Review

Choice quotes:

"It's also a game you can write about pretty much forever. Every NPC has a personality. Most have a story. Some have a deep quest line that you might never find unless you walk into every house. How much of that are you supposed to experience before you can have an opinion? And how am I supposed to fit it into an 800 word review for a magazine? I could fill the whole magazine."

"Then there's my antipathy to previous games. I loved them in theory. Watching YouTube videos of a dog getting confused and killing its owner in Oblivion is still brilliant. But I hated Oblivion's levelling system. Those faces, like a condom full of sour cream and mince, made me want to honk. Morrowind infuriated me by making me tread through that dry immigration process, before a rubbish old skeleton hacked me to bits in the first cave I walked into."

"Skyrim, with its gentle but inevitable difficulty curve, its immaculate leveling system, and skeletons that are really easy to kill, might be the Elder Scrolls I can finally love. Oh God, the dragons! If this was a review, I'd tell you about the music that comes in when the shrieking behind that mountain blossoms into a set of leathery wings and a lethal blast of ice!"

"Because this isn't a Skyrim review, I can't really talk about the game. I can probably get away with meaningless anecdotes, like "a horse got over-excited and hoofed my friend in the face". And I can probably repeat known entities, like how the leveling system is designed to let you grow in a way that suits your style, instead of coralling you into your class behaviour that you regretted the second you realized that Bards were shit."

Full article here:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/35710/blogwhy-i-didnt-want-the-skyrim-review/?page=1

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Haven't heard about this disc thing. That's really weird. Has that happened before? I know there's a couple cases of a game loading longer from the HDD than from the disc, but this is new.

Midou

EschatonDX said:
Any word on DX11 features?

They said it will not have DX11 graphical features but use some of its superior processing to make certain things run better, or something like that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Woorloog said:
How do we know those pics weren't taken with different resolutions?
WHAT lol

They look the same to me, off screen of course. They are both bad either way. At least the PC should have a great resolution bump if anything else.

Lakitu

st5fu
LiquidMetal14 said:
WHAT lol

They look the same to me, off screen of course. They are both bad either way. At least the PC should have a great resolution bump if anything else.

The issue is that it looks noticeably worse on the HDD side.

Anybody with the 360 copy that can confirm this? I hope it's not true.

Woorloog

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
WHAT lol

You take offscreen shot from console with 720p and 1080i, it is going to look different. We do not have proof the guy didn't do that.
Those pics have different texture quality

(And yet another idiot to my ignore list, didn't expect to find so many of them from GAF)

Echoplx

Woorloog said:
You take offscreen shot from console with 720p and 1080i, it is going to look different.
PC will obviously have better textures and resolution will help.

(And yet another idiot to my ignore list, didn't expect to find so many of them from GAF)

Wow, the game will be running sub 720p resolutions upscaled either way, it won't effect the texture resolution at all.

Esch

Banned
-GOUKI- said:
You guys are expecting way too much out of this. 99% sure this won't have any real dx11 features. Not even BF3 had any.
I'm not expecting much at all, just wanted a word because they said some would be included.

Also looking at the specs made me ~_^ a litte, 260 GTX or better recommended? For what they're calling the "high" settings (not ultra)? Just makes me wonder what the upper limit of the game looks like.

Woorloog said:
You take offscreen shot from console with 720p and 1080i, it is going to look different. We do not have proof the guy didn't do that.

What do you mean that resolution will help? I'm a PC gaming neophyte. Isn't 1080p console the same as 1080p PC? I did hear that some games run sub-true HD on console and the 360 upscales it. Is that what you mean?

LiquidMetal14

-GOUKI- said:
You guys are expecting way too much out of this. 99% sure this won't have any real dx11 features. Not even BF3 had any.
I thought that one has tess at least no? It certainly looks like it has something going on. I have the game btw, looks amazing.

Woorloog said:
Those pics have different texture quality

Not that I care nor am I mad about an ignore but what makes you think those shots are separate resolutions? Or are you saying something else? I mean they look the same minus the obvious texture difference. You're taking things too serious but hey, do what you want.

Woorloog

Banned
Epyon MX said:
What do you mean that resolution will help? I'm a PC gaming neophyte. Isn't 1080p console the same as 1080p PC? I did hear that some games run sub-true HD on console and the 360 upscales it. Is that what you mean?
Poorly worded, let's remove that.
360 does upscale image... but isn't same pic in 720p and 1080i/p a bit different looking on same TV?
LiquidMetal14 said:
Ibut what makes you think those shots are separate resolutions? Or are you saying something else? I mean they look the same minus the obvious texture difference. You're taking things too serious but hey, do what you want.
Off screen shots, with strange claim HDD reduces texture quality, something i've never seen to happen on 360 before. How do we know the guy is not making bullshit claims to troll us?
Different resolution could explain the difference as i do not belive the disc/HDD having different texture quality until shown properly.

Echoplx

Woorloog said:
360 does upscale image... but isn't same pic in 720p and 1080i/p a bit different looking on same TV?

No, it doesn't work like that. Changing the output mode will not effect what textures look like.

LiquidMetal14

Woorloog said:
Not really. I mean we also are looking at an offscreen shot of all things BUT even then I don't see one and say it's 720 and then the other and say that has to be a 1080i shot lol

It bares no difference in the comparison as both textures look bad anyways.

Woorloog said:
Off screen shots, with strange claim HDD reduces texture quality, something i've never seen to happen on 360 before. How do we know the guy is not making bullshit claims to troll us?
Different resolution could explain the difference as i do not belive the disc/HDD having different texture quality until shown properly.
I don't really know the if the guy is trolling but it's pretty obvious that there is no resolution difference in those comparisons and find it odd that the disc screen looks better but still bad.

Switters

Which thread is the one where we argue about whether Dark Souls is JRPG or not? Because there's absolutely no hand holding.

On topic: I'm stressing about the pc vs. xbox. I have a MB Pro with i7 8 gb ram geforce 330m w 1gb vm. I have to run BF3 at 1024x768 with the lowest settings to get a decent frame rate.

Timber

The dungeon I was in earlier had a swimming pool in it, with a diving board and dressing rooms and everything. There was an underwater elevator in the pool (had to kill the ghosts and atronarchs first before I could use it) that took me up to some kind of underground stable. It had been overrun by wereboars but, providentially, there was one cow just minding its own business. Daggerfall is kind of a crazy game.

LiquidMetal14

WarMacheen said:
PC Videos, where are they. Maybe I should just drive the few minutes to Bethesda and beg.
Maybe you should, you ape!

Switters said:
Which thread is the one where we argue about whether Dark Souls is JRPG or not? Because there's absolutely no hand holding.

On topic: I'm stressing about the pc vs. xbox. I have a MB Pro with i7 8 gb ram geforce 330m w 1gb vm. I have to run BF3 at 1024x768 with the lowest settings to get a decent frame rate.
This game is not as intensive as BF3 so I would give it a shot at least. Wish there was a benchmark tool for more PC games these days. Not just built into the final game either. I mean a free DL.

bengraven

Bootaaay said:

That was me and THANK YOU!

God, that Windhelm house is epic. Doesn't help that you took it at night with flames and snow and that little eagle statue near it.

I was going to ask another question: in these shots I see some fog, like in Riften. From some streams I've seen, there is low lying mist in some plains areas. Is there quite a bit of this ambient fog as well?

(weather looks INCREDIBLE in this game!)

zethren

Banned
Drazgul said:
More like total suck - wasted perk for those who use other type of attack(s), and still something you have to spend a point on if you want the other two perks.

Or you could be a badass and only fight with your fists.

I don't have the video in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure you can bypass that perk to get to the next one. The perk lines aren't just a straight line; there are intersections and whatnot that lead in other directions torwards other perks. But like I said, I don't have the video in front of me right now so I'll double check that when I can.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm dying for some raw PC footage. When have they said they're going to be showing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom