• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoy101

Timber said:
The dungeon I was in earlier had a swimming pool in it, with a diving board and dressing rooms and everything. There was an underwater elevator in the pool (had to kill the ghosts and atronarchs first before I could use it) that took me up to some kind of underground stable. It had been overrun by wereboars but, providentially, there was one cow just minding its own business. Daggerfall is kind of a crazy game.

Nicely done you son of a bitch. I read about the wereboars, jaw prepared to drop, and then saw the last sentence.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What perspective do people play in most, 1st or 3rd person? I like the look of the 3rd person cam and think I want to play it in that perspective. I played every other Bethesda game in 1st person though. Seems like the immersion is higher that way, no?

Woorloog

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Nick can you confirm if this HDD texture issue will be resolved in a patch before or on 11/11?
Can someone confirm the issue actually exists and it wasn't some fluke, streaming not working or other such thing?

Dresden

LiquidMetal14 said:
What perspective do people play in most, 1st or 3rd person? I like the look of the 3rd person cam and think I want to play it in that perspective. I played every other Bethesda game in 1st person though. Seems like the immersion is higher that way, no?
The animation and such still looks clunky and unappealing, I'll be sticking to 1st person.

LiquidMetal14 said:

First person most of the time, third person when I'm walking around and I'm in the mood to see my armor.

Solo

LiquidMetal14 said:

First. Third is complete and uttter jank in every single Bethesda game. Oblivion was unplayable in third. Skyrim has been touted as having greatly improved third, but until I experience it myself, I'm not buying that.

Unicorn

Are there effect details like dragon breath or fire spells setting trees and grass on fire? How about electirc spells or ice spells affecting water differently?

Unicorn said:
Are there effect details like dragon breath or fire spells setting trees and grass on fire? How about electirc spells or ice spells affecting water differently?
Fire will burn objects for a short amount of time - I've seen it on the walls of houses indoors and also plants outside. Not sure about the other elements though.

Dyno

I've played all of the Bethesda RPGs on my 360 but I'm wondering if the PS3 version is going to be just as good this time around.

Anybody know if they are comparable or is there a superior console version?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dyno said:
I've played all of the Bethesda RPGs on my 360 but I'm wondering if the PS3 version is going to be just as good this time around.

To my knowledge, they haven't even shown off the PS3 version.

Also this whole HDD thing is going to make me paranoid of installing Revelations and Saint's Row now. I hope they patch this before the game's out

bengraven

Houston3000 said:
Wonder how long until The Elder Scrolls Construction Set is out for this game. I didn't play with it much in Oblivion but in Morrowind I had so much fun building my own houses. Even when I wasn't building my own houses I was changing the layout of the guild hall rooms to make them super personalized. Wish you all could have seen my awesome room I built in the Mages Guild Hall in Caldera and Balmora, along with my sick ass digs in Vivec and Tel Aruhn.

Did you play them on consoles or delete your saves from the PC? Because otherwise, print screen is a helluva drug.

Dyno said:

All signs point to the 360 version being only slightly better - vibrant colors, deeper blacks, shorter load times. That said, these advantages are apparently very slight.

Couldn't tell ya where I read that though...

bengraven

Just did the test for my system's ability to run Skyrim and while it was OKAY! it wasn't as good as I wanted.

I have to accept that my awesome rig isn't awesome anymore. It probably hasn't been for two years now. I need a new card and processor, but I'm broke. :/

Solo said:
No. It will still be the best version.

I have to admit, I'm really really nervous.

I'm seriously considering buying the 360 edition and putting the PC version off until later when the GOTY editions are out or great mods.

I'm worried about their treatment of the PC gamers during this hype period.

DangerStepp

CAW said:
:0
Thanks! I think I just found the place where I'm getting it...

Solo said:
First. Third is complete and uttter jank in every single Bethesda game. Oblivion was unplayable in third. Skyrim has been touted as having greatly improved third, but until I experience it myself, I'm not buying that.
This. Bethesda has been touting how much they've improved the third-person view with every new game they release and I've yet to be impressed. There are certainly improvements, but it isn't enjoyable to play with.

BeeDog

The Lamonster said:
All signs point to the 360 version being only slightly better - vibrant colors, deeper blacks, shorter load times. That said, these advantages are apparently very slight.

I wouldn't put any faith in the bolded parts. As usual, it probably depends on how the 360 outputs compared to the PS3, which has correct color settings.

But either way, the 360 will probably end up as the best console version like usual.

Level 16 now, here's a shot of my character;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0214.jpg

bengraven said:
I was going to ask another question: in these shots I see some fog, like in Riften. From some streams I've seen, there is low lying mist in some plains areas. Is there quite a bit of this ambient fog as well?

(weather looks INCREDIBLE in this game!)

Yeah, there is a lot of ambient fog, it looks great in motion and really adds to the atmosphere of the areas. Also, other effects like the wind whipping across sheets of ice, water spray splashing from waterfalls and steam rising from hot springs (complete with geysers) look really good. Blizzards look fantastic too.

benzy said:
How much do the houses cost?

The one in Whiterun costs 5000, with about 1850 spent on upgrades, haven't found out how much any of the others cost though.

LiquidMetal14 said:

I really do appreciate that Bethesda took the time to ensure that playing in 3rd person is a viable choice this time around, and I've found it to help in close combat when you need to keep an eye on your target, but I still play mostly in 1st person. It just feels right for an Elder Scrolls game, and as you say, is much more immersive.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The Lamonster said:

Where do you get that info? We have a guy on here with the PS3 version saying it's identical.

bengraven

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, there is a lot of ambient fog, it looks great in motion and really adds to the atmosphere of the areas. Also, other effects like the wind whipping across sheets of ice, water spray splashing from waterfalls and steam rising from hot springs (complete with geysers) look really good. Blizzards look fantastic too.

I think I'm going to tear up because it's not Friday. :*(

haha

johntown

Banned
Dyno said:

Usually the differences are minimal. Lighting usually looks slightly better on the 360 (PS3 usually looks a little darker).

Most cross platform games look virtually the same and even side by side. Most games look slightly better on the 360.......with a few exceptions.

bengraven said:
Did you play them on consoles or delete your saves from the PC? Because otherwise, print screen is a helluva drug.
On PC

We're going back about 8 years ago though, I've long since lost my screenshots and saved games for Morrowind, heh.

zethren

Banned
Wallach said:
Did that Fists of Steel perk actually make it in the game? On the images of the Heavy Armor constellation I don't see the spot where it would be on the left side.

Yup it's in, based on what I've seen.

I have no doubt that the PC version will ultimately be the best version but recent PC ports have been particularly disappointing. I can deal with textures that aren't as good as they should be, or interfaces that are not the most efficient for the platform but there has been some unacceptable performance and crash issues with recent releases. Problems that until lately, I thought were slowly going away.

DangerStepp said:
This. Bethesda has been touting how much they've improved the third-person view with every new game they release and I've yet to be impressed. There are certainly improvements, but it isn't enjoyable to play with.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were completely functional, though to me it always felt weird firing weapons in third person.

johntown

Banned
Edvardelis said:
Fallout 3 and New Vegas were completely functional, though to me it always felt weird firing weapons in third person.
I actually prefer the over the top view they had for Oblivion for 3rd person. I can do the over the shoulder 3rd person view but I prefer the slightly behind and over the top.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So can anyone with a 360 copy and the game installed to the hard drive confirm that it looks better after the prerelease patch?

Man, I'm desperately trying to find the game at some local shop but have no luck so far. My online shop hasn't got the game yet so even if they get it tomorrow, I won't have it before at least Wednesday.

Geez, I feel like the 15 year old boy who was desperately searching for a copy of MGS2 all over again.

Esch

Banned
Dresden said:
The animation and such still looks clunky and unappealing, I'll be sticking to 1st person.

Same. Seems harder for magic and archery playstyles as well, and i think it's easier to miss important loot this way. I think it IS ideal for stealth segments though, and probably not bad for pure melee characters.

johntown said:
I actually prefer the over the top view they had for Oblivion for 3rd person. I can do the over the shoulder 3rd person view but I prefer the slightly behind and over the top.

That did look better, but it made doing anything requiring activating a certain spot pretty much impossible because you couldn't see what the heck you were pointed at.

Midou

EschatonDX said:
Same. Seems harder for magic and archery playstyles as well, and i think it's easier to miss important loot this way. I think it IS ideal for stealth segments though, and probably not bad for pure melee characters.

Essentially stealth and horse parts were where I was in third person in Oblivion. It does seem improved now, but even as I plan to do a mostly melee character, I plan to play mostly in first person.

johntown

Banned
Edvardelis said:
That did look better, but it made doing anything requiring activating a certain spot pretty much impossible because you couldn't see what the heck you were pointed at.
Lol yeah I would generally switch to 3rd person only for sword based combat in Oblivion.........everything else was done in 1st person mode.

eosos

Banned
Finally preordered this off of steam. Thought about intkeys, but the potential hassle wasn't worth it to me with this game. Anyone know if they're doing a pre download thing?

Owzers

Dorfdad said:
Where do you get that info? We have a guy on here with the PS3 version saying it's identical.

i probably wont' decide which version to buy until friday afternoon right before i go to Kmart to get the game. Worse textures if installed to the harddrive? Definitely want some type of confirmation if this is true Xo

v0mitg0d

I've put in roughly 50-60 hours into my review copy of Skyrim. Oblivion fans, we've got a LOT to talk about on Thursday!

DangerStepp

Edvardelis said:
That's cool if you can tolerate it, it just isn't my bag. I had a friend who hates FPS play through most of FO3 in that view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom