• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Another post from Gamefaqs
rza_2002 said:
1/ patch is already out, doesnt say what version it is though as it used to show you on the main menu but its away now

2/ just uninstalled my game to call BS, and seriously its like i'm playing a different game, it does take twice as long to load but theres a massive improvement in graphics :s

skyrimcompare.jpg

Midou

3chopl0x said:
Would rather hear New Vegas/Morrowind fans

:C

I am also a bit curious to hear from this type of perspective. :p

Though I'm not saying Oblivion fans don't know what's good or anything I'm sure a lot played morrowind and new vegas well.

johntown

Banned
v0mitg0d said:
I've put in roughly 50-60 hours into my review copy of Skyrim. Oblivion fans, we've got a LOT to talk about on Thursday!
As someone who enjoyed Oblivion I will take this as a positive statement.

johntown

Banned
Midou said:
Though I'm not saying Oblivion fans don't know what's good or anything I'm sure a lot played morrowind and new vegas well.
Yeah I played Morrowind and I liked that and if it is more like that then I am fine with that. If they say it is more like NV though I will be disappointed. I liked Fallout 3 much better than NV.

ironcreed

Banned
I am just going to run it from the disk. That is what I usually do anyway. Increased loading is something that does not really bother me. Gives me time to grab a few sips of my drink or something.

cackhyena

Besides the left weapon looking darker, I don't see any massive improvement. I'll stick to no grinding noises and faster loads, thanks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
cackhyena said:
Besides the left weapon looking darker, I don't see any massive improvement. I'll stick to no grinding noises and faster loads, thanks.

Did you look at the other picture? Much bigger gap in quality.

Lakitu

st5fu
cackhyena said:

Yeah, this. It looks essentially the same except for the left weapon looking sharper. What an exaggeration.

ironcreed

Banned
cackhyena said:

That is actually the only difference I noticed as well. I don't see a massive difference either way.

Isn't the weapon animated (idle animation or something?). Could very well be motion blur if the camera shutter speed was low enough..

Edit: the picture above tells a different story however..

Bootaaay said:
Wood Elf actually, archery with single handed swords and destruction magic, and the armour is Elven :)
Shit, I'm kind of torn on the races now... Dunmer or Bosmer

On Dunmer side I don't care about Destruction too much, but I love Illusion and Alteration. On Bosmer side I absolutely love Archery but I don't care for Pickpocketing. Little worried how useful Command Animal is.

I WAS leaning toward a Dunmer specializing in Archery but now I'm thinking a Bosmer with his Alteration and Illusion pumped up a bit.

Decisions, Decisions...

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, the glove looks distinctly sharper, but everything else is a blur on both. Either way, I am just going to run it straight from the disk like I do with every game I play on my 360.

Lakitu

st5fu
loblaw said:
...really?

Those are awful photos, obviously they're close-ups of the textures but they neglected to take a picture of the whole screen. There is a difference, but the one above is much more accurate I'd imagine. Again, not much difference at all. The over-reaction is ridiculous.

Symphonic

Lakitu said:
Those are awful photos, obviously they're close-ups of the textures but they neglected to take a picture of the whole screen. There is a difference, but the one above is much more accurate I'd imagine. Again, not much difference at all. The over-reaction is ridiculous.

I'm not saying it matters, I'm just saying that stating the textures aren't different is insane.

cackhyena

MrBig said:
The textures drop down from around 512 :)lol worthy in itself) to 256
Need glasses?
I guess I'd rather have a smoother experience than get a little more texture out of something that will for the most part remain a blur in my hands. Look at the difference in pretty much everything else in the background in those pics. The rock wall, the character's clothing, it all looks better on HDD. Yeah, I'll stick to HDD for a better experience. You can have your teensy bit better looking weapon you'll hardly look at.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
cackhyena said:
I guess I'd rather have a smoother experience than get a little more texture out of something that will for the most part remain a blur in my hands. Look at the difference in pretty much everything else in the background in those pics. The rock wall, the character's clothing, it all looks better on HDD. Yeah, I'll stick to HDD for a better experience. You can have your teensy bit better looking weapon you'll hardly look at.
Really no need to be so defensive about it. We're just trying to make people aware of problems that exist.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Houston3000 said:
Shit, I'm kind of torn on the races now... Dunmer or Bosmer

On Dunmer side I don't care about Destruction too much, but I love Illusion and Alteration. On Bosmer side I absolutely love Archery but I don't care for Pickpocketing. Little worried how useful Command Animal is.

I WAS leaning toward a Dunmer specializing in Archery but now I'm thinking a Bosmer with his Alteration and Illusion pumped up a bit.

Decisions, Decisions...
I booted up Morrowind this weekend and created a Bosmer with archery, conjuration, alteration, illusion, and security. Conjure, shoot from behind, float, and steal everything. I think I might go with something like that for Skyrim. But I really wouldn't make a race choice based purely on what class you want to play, as you can fit any race into any class-style without much hassle. The Dunmer story line seems like one of the more interesting ones after what happened to Morrowind.

MrBig

cackhyena said:
This is a problem that shouldn't be happening, its not about what you are looking to play.

If you are looking for smooth performance you should be buying the PC version, as I am.
Better textures than what either of those comparisons show, extra effects, longer draw distance, and the more powerful you tower is the better the frame rate will be.

cackhyena

zoner said:
Really no need to be so defensive about it. We're just trying to make people aware of problems that exist.
I don't think I am. Just saying, the pros of not installing don't outweigh the cons. Not for me.

cackhyena

MrBig said:
This is a problem that shouldn't be happening, its not about what you are looking to play.

If you are looking for smooth performance you should be buying the PC version, as I am.
Better textures than what either of those comparisons show, extra effects, longer draw distance, and the more powerful you tower is the better the frame rate will be.
I'm on a dual core, 3GB ram, 4870. I ain't getting what I need to out of something like this. Human Revolution was enough of a bitch in areas. I can live with the 360 version.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Giant Bomb announced a 12 hour live stream of Skyrim hosted by Greg Kasavin this Thursday! Can.not.wait.

piratepwnsninja said:
I did the same, except I got denied because we're crunching. Not to mention I totally spaced out weeks ago and volunteered to run camera at an event Friday night.

So to recap my 11-11-11:

1) Requested day off, told no because of crunch. (at least the days denied roll over)

2) Had a plan to only work a half day because the carpet cleaners gave me a four hour window they'd show up in. Wife then informs me she has "Skyrim day" off, so I don't need to stay home.

3) Remembered I'd volunteered to run camera Friday night.

Awesome.
I was also setup to have the 11th off (paid holiday for Veteran's Day) and my wife does as well. She told she go out all day and gang out with her parents. I was stoked.

But then my buddy called yesterday morning and incited my wife & I up to his family cabin on Lake Tahoe for the three day weekend. *Sigh* My wife would kill me if I denied that invitation to play a game all weekend. So my Skyrim weekend us over.

But as a consolation my wife told me that she'd do the 4 hour drive on Friday morning so I can play the game all night and sleep in the car. So I imagine that I'll at least get 4 to 5 hours of play in after the midnight launch.

tetzlat

My brother works at the local GameMania ( Dutch gameshop ) , and they get their copies this wednesday and they are allowed to sell it right away .
So only two more days of waiting !!!

Dries

Oh noez, the textures will look terrible on PC cause you need to install it to a HDD..

Yes, this is a sarcasm post

Truant

Dries said:
Oh noez, the textures will look terrible on PC cause you need to install it to a HDD..

Yes, this is a sarcasm post

Better install to a folder, burn that to a DVD and run it from the disc.

Prodigal

Banned
Ugh I'm pissed at myself for waiting so long to replay Oblivion. I never got through much of the actual story and now on the guy I made last week I'm already wanting to re-roll! Guess I'll just have to re-visit this game much later down the road.

Truant

The only cool thing about the main quest in Oblivion was figuring out the puzzle with the letters in the book, and that was pretty easy.

tetzlat said:
My brother works at the local GameMania ( Dutch gameshop ) , and they get their copies this wednesday and they are allowed to sell it right away .

You mean a Belgian gameshop!

tetzlat said:
They're allowed to sell it on Wednesday?

*dance*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom