• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodfella

I'm assuming this has already been said, but it would seem that the low rez textures when installed would explain the <4GB install size on 360.

Probably a bug or some misguided attempt to make the install size lower.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
cackhyena said:
I don't think I am. Just saying, the pros of not installing don't outweigh the cons. Not for me.
I'll install it as well, but we're trying to bring attention to it, so Bethesda should address it. It shouldn't be an 'install or don't' it should be an 'install for best performance on 360', so that's what we're trying to create some buzz on. I mean, Bethesda's not Naughty Dog, but I'm hoping the community manager sees some of these posts and mentions it to whoever

bengraven

What a weird ass bug. How is that even possible?

Maybe the textures are supposed to be part of the install, but aren't.

Then the system looks for the textures and only finds the SD ones? Or some hidden PSP textures. :p

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Blue, with the recent crazy AC:R thread and the PR thread, I would just like to point out that I actually read all of your OT and prefer it the way you did it.

That AC:R one is fucking nuts.

Tobor

I can't watch live streams. It pisses me off when they do something stupid I wouldn't have done. I can't watch anyone play a game like this, now that I think about it. Plus, I'd rather go in fresh. I don't want even like to see the screenshots people are posting.

As for "Installgate", maybe it's just a bug they can patch?

Stahsky said:
Blue, with the recent crazy AC:R thread and the PR thread, I would just like to point out that I actually read all of your OT and prefer it the way you did it.

That AC:R one is fucking nuts.
Thanks. I have to say I agree. That AC:R one is pretty to look at, but 15 posts? Goddamn, son.

Yeah, it'd better be. I'm going to camp outside.

Nick Breckon sent me a PM with a slight correction to the title. Thanks for updating it, Kabouter!

Xdrive05

goodfella said:
I'm assuming this has already been said, but it would seem that the low rez textures when installed would explain the <4GB install size on 360.

Probably a bug or some misguided attempt to make the install size lower.
Was coming in here to say the same thing... looks like they install downres'd textures, which explains everything. If so then the onlu question left: bug or intentional to lower install footprint?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Xdrive05 said:
Was coming in here to say the same thing... looks they install downres'd textures, which explains everything. If so then the onlu question left: bug or intentional to lower install footprint?
Well it sounds like some people are kicking around a 6.7 install size as well, so who knows?

tetzlat

I Know that its originally an Belgium store chain, but this one is in Holland and therefore its a Dutch shop.
Flawless logic ;)

My Brother said they got an email from the head office saying they could sell it

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Blue Ninja said:
Thanks. I have to say I agree. That AC:R one is pretty to look at, but 15 posts? Goddamn, son.

It was 15 posts? Hahaha, that is too weird.

I got a ten page paper to finish before Skyrim comes out. I must be victorious.

But seriously. DoTA 2, Tribes and soon Skyrim. I don't need anymore video games. Those pretty much cover it.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
pakkit said:
Things I Ate in Skyrim

Now this is a preview I can get behind. The ending is hilarious.
It's been posted a couple of times and I hope it continues to get posted over and over again. It really is the best Skyrim preview out there. It captures the sense of exploration in these types of games perfectly. I wasn't all that excited for Skyrim until I read it and started remembering how much I loved Morrowind.

Complistic

can i get a link showing off the new conversation mechanics? I know you can walk around and leave the conversation and stuff now.

bengraven said:
What a weird ass bug. How is that even possible?

Maybe the textures are supposed to be part of the install, but aren't.

Then the system looks for the textures and only finds the SD ones? Or some hidden PSP textures. :p

People that just recieved the patch should UNINSTALL and then re-INSTALL to see if it fixes the HDD bug or whatever... Please if possible and report back...

Because any patch that would address that.. coming from a strong PC background.. would require a reinstall of whatever assets that were originally loaded onto the HDD...

parabolee

Here is another screenshot showing the texture issue (not mine) -

FROM HARD DRIVE -

34xer84.jpg

FROM DISK -

fneaub.jpg

Esch

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Wood Elf actually, archery with single handed swords and destruction magic, and the armour is Elven :)
That's pretty much what i was planning to do but as a redguard.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ahem. There is a new Elder Scrolls game and is coming out this week.

YAHOOOOOOOOOO!

That is all. Back to talking about textures or whatever.

parabolee said:
Here is another screenshot showing the texture issue (not mine) -

34xer84.jpg

fneaub.jpg
So until we hear otherwise, play the 360 version from the disc and don't install to an HDD for the best visual experience, right?

Bethesda is extremely silent right now on so much. I guess because the game hasn't "officially" launched yet. But still, if people are fininding these huge issues I'd at least hope they'd acknowledge it...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It definitely looks like the HDD version is sluggish in regards to loading textures (which I've seen a times in lots of Bethesda games). Higher res texture not loading at all is eyebrow raising though, especially being the HDD install.

GhaleonEB

I assume the bottom pic is running from disc?

I was planning to install to HDD (my first game to do so), but I'll hold off. I'll take longer periodic loads in exchange for the better visuals. What a strange bug.

The cuff on the left hand...

iumogg

Neo Member
Can someone who has played the game discuss the combat? I could never get into oblivion because the melee combat was so unsatisfying. It didn't convey any real sense of contact or substance. Like there was no weight behind it. I fear that after playing games like Dead island and Dark Souls, the melee in this will feel weak and unsatisfying. Have they improved the feel of the combat since oblivion?

Mr YuYu

tetzlat said:
I Know that its originally an Belgium store chain, but this one is in Holland and therefore its a Dutch shop.
Flawless logic ;)

My Brother said they got an email from the head office saying they could sell it
Lekker!!

I'm calling them tommorow to verify. That would be awesome news!

Durante

Wasn't the game supposed to have 4xAA on consoles, and everyone was praising it for that?

Because there's no AA at all in those shots.

Edit: actually it seems like there's some AA on some of the background objects, but quite far from the IQ you'd expect. And the foreground stuff doesn't have any AA at all.

GhaleonEB said:

I was planning to install to HDD (my first game to do so), but I'll hold off. I'll take longer periodic loads in exchange for the better visuals. What a strange bug.
Maybe Bethesda built the streaming/compression tech like Bungie did with Halo 3, wherein the game is optimized to read off the disc?

I assume this particular problem is 360 exclusive? I guess there's no way to know yet.
I don't mind playing with the disc in but having the high-res textures from the disc and no the HDD install is...interesting.

tetzlat said:
Flawless logic ;)

\o/

Pre-ordered it at GameMania, so I'm happy. Do you know if they'll sell the guide on wednesday as well?

Esch

Banned
Looking at the racial bonuses- I'm sad they took a lot of the Dunmer's combat ability. People who are playing the game... What say you?

SlB1C.png

goodfella

Johnny2Bags said:
People that just recieved the patch should UNINSTALL and then re-INSTALL to see if it fixes the HDD bug or whatever... Please if possible and report back...

Because any patch that would address that.. coming from a strong PC background.. would require a reinstall of whatever assets that were originally loaded onto the HDD...

Makes sense. Oh well, I'm getting it for PC anyway.

Worrying for the state of the rest of the game though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
KingK said:
Gah, I can't decide what race I want to play as. I'm thinking either a Dunmer battle mage, a Bosmer ranger, a Redguard warrior, or a Khajiit assassin (just spent the last few minutes looking at the race attributes).

Yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of character to roll too. I'm going to roll 4 different characters over the weekend and play a couple of hours with each, and after that I'll decide which one to focus on and do my first play through with:

1. a straight up glass cannon mage who uses only staffs as weapons and has a thing for fire and destruction spells
2. a paladin, sword and board wearing heavy armor and healing or buff spells
3. a ranger character, dual wielding for close range but skilled in a bow too, wearing light armor and runs like a cheetah
4. a thief / assassin focusing on sneaking, stealing, daggers, and confusion.

I didn't do much with magic in Oblivion, played almost exclusively a paladin type character, so I'm leaning towards the mage at this point. Won't know until I have the game and spend all weekend playing the ever living shit out of it. My girlfriend has already been warned that I will be at the PC and that she will have to keep herself entertained, lol. Honestly, she's heard me talk about Skyrim so much that she is looking forward to sitting down next to me and seeing it in action. She loves the main theme music. She's a good woman...

Solo

IMPERIAL SCUM mass murderer/kleptomaniac pitting all guilds against eachother for personal gain is the only way to go. If I don't like your face, you die.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lakitu said:
Those are awful photos, obviously they're close-ups of the textures but they neglected to take a picture of the whole screen. There is a difference, but the one above is much more accurate I'd imagine. Again, not much difference at all. The over-reaction is ridiculous.

Can we turn off the reality distortion field, please.

parabolee

GhaleonEB said:

The cuff on the left hand...

Yes edited to make that clear.

iumogg said:
Can someone who has played the game discuss the combat? I could never get into oblivion because the melee combat was so unsatisfying. It didn't convey any real sense of contact or substance. Like there was no weight behind it. I fear that after playing games like Dead island and Dark Souls, the melee in this will feel weak and unsatisfying. Have they improved the feel of the combat since oblivion?

The combat is vastly improved. Has a lot more weight ti it. However it pails in comparison to Dark Souls.

I find that I prefer to fight in 3rd person. But 3rd person is still not up to the quality it should be to be used for exploring. Mainly because you character always faces the direction the camera is pointing as apposed to the direction you push the left stick, which just feels odd.

But as I said, combat is big improvement. Blocking is satisfying now and you get a good fell of making contact when you strike someone with your weapon. You will be happy with the upgrade, just don't expect Dark Souls. It's about as good as Dead Island though, minus the chopping limbs off.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
EschatonDX said:
Looking at the racial bonuses- I'm sad they took a lot of the Dunmer's combat ability. People who are playing the game... What say you?

SlB1C.png

To make sense of this, the Y axis represents the level? So the Kajiit are better at combat up to a certain level and then stealth is good?

zethren

Banned
Stahsky said:
I got a ten page paper to finish before Skyrim comes out. I must be victorious.

Me too man. :/

Plenty of Skyrim OST music will be playing as I write it though, that's for sure.

GhaleonEB

How are the random execution/finishing moves? I'm dismayed they are randomly triggered as opposed to us trigging them (they should be keyed to doing a hold-the-trigger power move so we can control them). From reading and from the videos, they look a bit jarring - you go for a normal blow and end up in some finishing move.

I don't get why control of them wasn't put in our hands.

dondarm

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
To make sense of this, the Y axis represents the level? So the Kajiit are better at combat up to a certain level and then stealth is good?
Nope, its the number of skill point bonuses at start. Khajiit get ten points for combat skills and 25 points for stealth skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom