• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
EschatonDX said:
Looking at the racial bonuses- I'm sad they took a lot of the Dunmer's combat ability. People who are playing the game... What say you?
I'm playing an Orc Warrior, so I say good :)

goodfella

Why do people keep comparing combat to the Souls series?

Mechanically it wouldn't work in the universe with the magic, bows and stealth being more exclusive on character rolls in TES.

Also, Souls is essentially an action game, so its kind of like comparing TES to ninja gaiden or DMC.

parabolee

GhaleonEB said:
How are the random execution/finishing moves? I'm dismayed they are randomly triggered as opposed to us trigging them (they should be keyed to doing a hold-the-trigger power move so we can control them). From reading and from the videos, they look a bit jarring - you go for a normal blow and end up in some finishing move.

I don't get why control of them wasn't put in our hands.

I find them pretty awesome. But you are right, would be more awesome if they were manual.

Esch

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
To make sense of this, the Y axis represents the level? So the Kajiit are better at combat up to a certain level and then stealth is good?

No, the Y axis is the initial starting bonuses added up and grouped by category. I think. How exactly they decide what skills are combat and which are stealth(say, armor categories?) i'm not sure, but based on the racial stuff i've looked at this makes sense. Mostly?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
dondarm said:
Nope, its the number of skill point bonuses at start. Khajiit get ten points for combat skills and 25 points for stealth skills.

Ah, thanks. So races with no stealth points could still become good at stealth, it would just take longer.

GhaleonEB said:
How are the random execution/finishing moves? I'm dismayed they are randomly triggered as opposed to us trigging them (they should be keyed to doing a hold-the-trigger power move so we can control them). From reading and from the videos, they look a bit jarring - you go for a normal blow and end up in some finishing move.

Well from some footage I watched this weekend,
you can damage an enemy bandit down to a sliver of health and they'll drop to ground, beg for mercy and starting crawling away. The player did this to two enemies in a row and was able to trigger the cinematic finishing move on both crawling bandits.

So the finishers do seem random, but there also seems to be certain circumstances where you can trigger them.

Esch

Banned
zoner said:
I'm playing an Orc Warrior, so I say good :)
Definitely a good choice. I feel like they have an incredible daily ability too, probably makes dragon fights a cinch. I think i've switched. I was going to do my Dunmer assassin but now I think a redguard battlemage is in order. The magic looks too fun not to play with this time ;)

No one here plays as a Khaji'it? (sp). Im all over that shit. The permanent night vision fucking rocks and for someone who plays stealthily and focuses on marksmanship through dungeons, caves and hideouts this choice is TOP. I chose a kitty for Oblivion and never looked back.

GhaleonEB

Reluctant-Hero said:
Well from some footage I watched this weekend,
you can damage an enemy bandit down to a sliver of health and they'll drop to ground, beg for mercy and starting crawling away. The player did this to two enemies in a row and was able to trigger the cinematic finishing move on both crawling bandits.

So the finishers do seem random, but there also seems to be certain circumstances where you can trigger them.
That's interesting. I guess we can just expect to land periodic finishing blows when we see enemies have just one bit of life left, or on the killing blow.

Which raises the question: can I do finishing moves on creatures that die in one blow? Even passive cretures? For instance, do we get slo-mo cutaways of us bludgeoning a goat? Because I'm okay with that.

ced

JumpingTheGun said:
No one here plays as a Khaji'it? (sp). Im all over that shit. The permanent night vision fucking rocks and for someone who plays stealthily and focuses on marksmanship through dungeons, caves and hideouts this choice is TOP. I chose a kitty for Oblivion and never looked back.

The night vision is activated for 60 secs according to those racial bonus's linked. I was going to do Khajiit but not now if that's the case.

burgervan

Can anyone tell me if there are water-based enemies like killer fish or eels? If so, I'll be avoiding water as if my real life depended on it.

JumpingTheGun said:
Khajiit. And as far as I know, their night eye's an activated spell that only lasts for 30 seconds or so...

johntown

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
I'm going with a Nord first, and I'm calling him Wulf. He will feast on dragon entrails and drink wine from Stormcloak skulls.
I am going with a Breton first. Not sure what I will call him but I will be sneaking around drinking skooma while while pick pocketing and breaking into buildings.

Blue Ninja said:
I'm going with a Nord first, and I'm calling him Wulf. He will feast on dragon entrails and drink wine from Stormcloak skulls.

33586-16143.jpg

Nice.

Blue Ninja said:
Khajiit. And as far as I know, their night eye's an activated spell that only lasts for 30 seconds or so...

30 seconds is enough. You can just keep using it over and over and it didnt require time to recharge. At least thats how it was in Oblivion.

Sorry for the possible double.

JumpingTheGun said:
30 seconds is enough. You can just keep using it over and over and it didnt require time to recharge. At least thats how it was in Oblivion.

Sorry for the possible double.
I think it was a one-usage-per-day power in Oblivion, actually... Could be wrong, never really played as a Khajiit.

JumpingTheGun said:
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsN/33586-16143.jpg[IMG]
Nice.[/QUOTE]
[URL="http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Wulf"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RL1J3.jpg[/URL]

scy

Deciding to finally keep up with this topic was a bad idea :( These next few days will take forever and now I'm inclined to grab a console copy just because.

Damn it!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
JumpingTheGun said:

I'm definitely playing as a Khajiit but Argonians are also a great stealth class (as the graph indicates). Stealth and Magic can be a very fun combo.

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, apparently I am. Eye of Night was their lesser power, Eye of Fear was their greater power.

Yeah eye of Fear was a once a day use and I never really used it. Night vision + a high powered bow + zoom = win.

The only Elder Scrolls game I've played is Oblivion, and i didn't enjoy it much. However I loved FO3 and New Vegas and Skyrim looks awesome.

I got a couple questions:

1) Do Elder Scrolls games or Skyrim specifically have multiple endings like Fallout 3 depending on choices you make in the main story?

2) How the heck is a stealth build supposed to help if you're going up against dragons in this game?

3)
SlB1C.png

is the chart accurate?

Seep

So we should play from the disc and don't install if you want the hi-rez textures. I have a 360s which is nice and quiet so I'm good. :p

Also that direct pic look better than I expected. wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

abundant

Deadly Cyclone said:
Ah, thanks. So races with no stealth points could still become good at stealth, it would just take longer.
It won't take long at all to be a good at Combat, Stealth, or Magic. The only real thing that is important when picking a race is personal preference and the races unique active and passive abilities.

GhaleonEB said:
Which raises the question: can I do finishing moves on creatures that die in one blow? Even passive cretures? For instance, do we get slo-mo cutaways of us bludgeoning a goat? Because I'm okay with that.
I remember seeing that happen in a fans off-screen recording of the live Quake-Con 2011 Skyrim demo that Todd Howard played through. He was attacked by wolves at the beginning if the demo and his first hit on the third wolf went straight into the finishing move animation.

Here, http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=jtfrdge9N_E, at about 8:35 into the video.

AiTM

Banned
Im trying to stay true to the lore, so I am going to name my Nord Something the Dragon Hearted.

I know Nord names are supposed to be weird and basically unpronounceable, like, Drajkjron the Dragon-Hearted. So Im still trying to think of the first part.

Telosfortelos said:
I booted up Morrowind this weekend and created a Bosmer with archery, conjuration, alteration, illusion, and security. Conjure, shoot from behind, float, and steal everything. I think I might go with something like that for Skyrim. But I really wouldn't make a race choice based purely on what class you want to play, as you can fit any race into any class-style without much hassle. The Dunmer story line seems like one of the more interesting ones after what happened to Morrowind.
Replace Bosmer with Dunmer and Cojuration with Short Blade and you got my regular build from Morrowind.

Basically sneak around with my bow, super stealthy with Chameleon and after engaging my target from afar would throw out Blind and Shield myself for a fight, Levitate and keep shooting arrows if it got hairy - Silence and such for magic users. Similarly Invisibility + Dagger assassination runs were awesome. Plus being able to cast Feather on myself is a must for my play-style. Not to mention the fun (In Morrowind at least) of casting some crazy ass Jump spell or Foritfy Acrobatics and then leaping across the world only to Levitate at the last second to save myself.

FHIZ

This whole texture HDD/disc 360 is really weird. Thank god my old 360 died two weeks ago and I got a S to replace it.

Im going with my original Khajiit character from Oblivion.

The legend of Alyxx Meridius lives on. (Funny thing is this is really my cats name as well).

Wondering if the infamous Umbra will be making an appearance...

Aptos

I'm thinking of pre-ordering on steam but I had a couple of questions:

1) Is it really releasing at 10pm the day before release? So I could be playing two hours early?

2) How could I get my hands on the cool world map?

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, I'm still installing. The issues seem to be with the textures on our character. I hope Bethesda clears this up.

Is anyones local GS doing a midnight release? I know mine is. Its gonna be a long fucking Thursday. Bust my ass at work, come home and attempt to sleep til 1130 and then remain awake until sunrise or I pass out from excitement and exhaustion. Four day weekend FTW.

Khezu

burgervan said:
Can anyone tell me if there are water-based enemies like killer fish or eels? If so, I'll be avoiding water as if my real life depended on it.

I'm not sure, however in past interviews or articles or something, I remember hearing that like morrowind there is more focus on water areas, and stuff hidden in them, like ship wrecks, and possible ruins, so i would assume there would be some water enemies.

ced

GhaleonEB said:

Yeah agreed. I just hope we can disable it, you know like in the Fallout games where there was that option, except this time maybe it will actually work...

-Yeti said:
So, according to that chart above, an Imperial would make a better Battlemage than a Dunmer?

Hmmm....

Keep in mind, that these are only starting bonuses. A few hours in, it won't really matter.

Lakitu said:
Well, I'm still installing. The issues seem to be with the textures on our character. I hope Bethesda clears this up.

Me too, I have an old noisy 360 and installing is a godsend. Lower quality character hand and weapon textures isn't enough to put me off installing, though as you say hopefully they can patch it.

abundant

-Yeti said:
So, according to that chart above, an Imperial would make a better Battlemage than a Dunmer?

Hmmm....

Starting stats don't mean anything because once you level up a few times, you would of already overcome any weakness to Combat, Stealth, or Magic.

-Yeti said:

Hmmm....
Well, Imperials specialize Restorative magic while wearing Heavy Armor, Shields, and One-Handed weapons... slight bonuses to Destruction and Enchanting as well. Their racial calms humanoids, and they pillage more gold than other races.

Dunmer specialize in Destruction magic but only wear Light Armor and have no weapon or shield specialization; instead, they have slight bonuses ti Alteration, Illusion, and Alchemical magics as well as some Sneaking skill. Besides their fire resistance their racial is destructive magic.

As been mentioned though, you can overcome most of the stat differences with an extra couple levels. It's just a head start in the beginning.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
so can anyone recommend a good steam game that could last me the last few days? Im seriously jonesing for some adventure rpg type game to keep me going :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom