• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So does armor have requirements? In Oblivion I liked the sorcerer class because I got to wear boss armor AND use spells.

JoeBoy101

zoner said:
So does armor have requirements? In Oblivion I liked the sorcerer class because I got to wear boss armor AND use spells.

Doubt it, but if it does, the only requirements will be based off your Heavy Armor skill.

And I seriously doubt there will be requirements.

Luthos

Was that texture install problem only for 360?

Isn't Bootaaay playing PS3? I haven't heard him say anything about textures.

Seep

Can someone with the 360 version comment if this game has screen tearing? Because all of the leaked vids have it in parts I'm just wondering if it's the shitty upload or the game itself.

LProtag

Oh no, I've looked too much into this and there's too much hype now.

The end of this year and games man... I've been buying one new game a week at least.

webrunner

Anyone know if the companions are like, nameless random people, or does it have some characters with quests and dialog you can recruit like in Fallout 3/NV?

also my fiancee would like to know how the romance options work. She didn't ask me to ask but I know that's her thing.

Dr. Ecco said:
Maybe I didn't understand the leveling system correctly, but it seems to me that picking a race, aside from their corresponding racial abilities, doesn't have much of an impact beyond the first hours in the game, just like picking between a sorcerer/knight/hunter in dark souls. In other words, if I want to make a, let's say, mage orc, all I have to do is build the corresponding skills and eventually it will be as good at destruction as a high elf, right?

So many possibilities...
You're correct but those racial abilities can be pretty good sometimes.

If you make a Orc Mage you'll still have a skill called "Berserker Rage" that will make you deal extra melee damage and increase your physical resistance for a minute or two... really useless for a magic caster but it won't be a game changer anyways. On the other hand if you chose Altmer as your race you'll have the equivalent of 5+ levels worth of extra Mana to cast with and your activatable ability would be a Mana Regeneration spell.

It really won't matter though. In Oblivion one of my characters was a Red Guard "Wizard" who had super high Restoration and Alteration... Red Guards (at least in Oblivion) start out with no magical bonuses. He was quite the bad-ass.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What are the chances of this game holding the same sense of discovery and challenge as Risen while being as big as a Bethesda game usually is now? Can I have some odds to bet against? I have 4 dollars in my paypal account right now.

Gorgon

weeskwee said:
I only ever get this pumped for an Elder Scrolls game. After the greatness of Morrowind, I was super pumped for Oblivion. But that wasn't anywhere near as good. Now this... Skyrim looks epic. CAN'T WAIT! took the day off work. :)

It's funny. I really don't care for the ES games at all, although I love RPGs, specially open-ended. But the ES backdrop never meant anything for me. Then came Skyrim's reveal trailer and now it's easily my most expected game this year. Guess it rings the right bells for my Norse/Conanesque hunger.

Crazy.

TheKurgan

KingK said:
I think I've convinced myself to be a stealthy Bosmer ranger named Bloodraven on my first playthrough. I just spent like an hour trying to decide what to be, lol.

Also, once again, anyone looking for a good list of race bonuses and abilities, you can see them right here

A Bosmer "Dark Brotherhood" Assassin was my favorite character in Oblivion. With a maxed out Alchemy skill I was able to kill almost anything in one shot with my poison dipped arrows =)

That being said I think I am going to do my first playthrough as a Nord. Seems fitting for Skyrim.

Complistic

webrunner said:
Anyone know if the companions are like, nameless random people, or does it have some characters with quests and dialog you can recruit like in Fallout 3/NV?

also my fiancee would like to know how the romance options work. She didn't ask me to ask but I know that's her thing.

I'm curious about both these things as well. Haven't seen anything on them either.

Khezu

webrunner said:

It seems to be a mix of both, quest people seem to be better though, there either immortal, or absurdly hard to kill.

Volimar

I don't think I've ever played a Nord, but for my first playthrough it just feels like it would be the proper way to go.

Too bad I won't get the game till December...

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Volimar said:
I don't think I've ever played a Nord, but for my first playthrough it just feels like it would be the proper way to go.

Too bad I won't get the game till December...

Only today I've really started thinking Nord is the way to go... In Morrowind I was a Dunmer I'm pretty sure (it's been a while) and then in Oblivion I was a hack'n'slash Orc for the longest time, until finally turning him into a vampire and leveling up his stealth, bow, and magic skills.

I was leaning toward Argonian stealthy badass but something (I suspect the live-action trailer I saw all day yesterday whilst watching NFL) has me wanting to be a Nord. I could combine archery with two-handed killing, with a side of magic...

Plus that would make me feel so much more in the spirit as I drink Belgian ale after Belgian ale that I have stocked up for 11/11/11...

Laekon

Anyone worried about building a stealth character when the game seems to need you to fight dragons? I'm planning on making an illusion/1 hand stealth fighter but how the hell am I going to take on a dragon?

I would like to know about whether there are there companions in a Fallout vein or if they're just temporary comrades and not as fleshed out. And how does romance work, I wonder?

bigboss370 said:
Do Elder Scroll games (Skyrim) have multiple endings like Fallout?
Generally, no. The TES canon is a bit more coherent than Fallout's. The last time the devs gave a TES game multiple endings (Daggerfall), the "Dragon Broke". Look it up - it's interesting stuff.

Volimar

Laekon said:
Anyone worried about building a stealth character when the game seems to need you to fight dragons? I'm planning on making an illusion/1 hand stealth fighter but how the hell am I going to take on a dragon?

Invisibility/Chameleon spells/potions/scrolls will go a long way, but it has to figure that less combat oriented characters will be somewhat less effective against the dragons.

Nakasan

So freakin hyped!

So reading the character plans everyone has makes me think im the only one who "brings" a character with me through all games. Started in Everquest; Spritely woodelf bow and arrow sneak-theif called Zzim. Be it oblivion, dragon souls or mario kart wii (so, any game with customisable character) hes always there with some fantastical explanation why hes there, like quantum leap really!

Fifa taught him when trying to reach the top, sometimes just being part of a team is the true reward.

Cant wait for him to adventure in skyrim... like fridays dont take long enough to come round already!!!

Romance, you can marry NPCs. It sounds pretty Fable-esque, they'll move in with you, make you dinner, you can take them with you on adventures.

Numpt3

InsertNameHere said:
Oh no, I've looked too much into this and there's too much hype now.

The end of this year and games man... I've been buying one new game a week at least.

Tell me about it. I haven't been following this at all, just watched those three short dev walk through's on youtube... From no hype to super hyped in the space of a few minutes. :p

Loxley

Nakasan said:
So freakin hyped!

So reading the character plans everyone has makes me think im the only one who "brings" a character with me through all games. Started in Everquest; Spritely woodelf bow and arrow sneak-theif called Zzim. Be it oblivion, dragon souls or mario kart wii (so, any game with customisable character) hes always there with some fantastical explanation why hes there, like quantum leap really!

Fifa taught him when trying to reach the top, sometimes just being part of a team is the true reward.

Cant wait for him to adventure in skyrim... like fridays dont take long enough to come round already!!!

Oh trust me, my sword n' board wielding Paladin from World of Warcraft will be slicin' dragons come this Friday :)

Volimar

HadesGigas said:
Romance, you can marry NPCs. It sounds pretty Fable-esque, they'll move in with you, make you dinner, you can take them with you on adventures.

Tired of your wife?

"Hey, honey. I thought it'd be romantic if we took a 2nd honeymoon to that high level dungeon. Armor? Nah, what you're already wearing looks great."

Durante

Lakitu said:
This has been posted before but... Elder Scrolls trailers from Arena to Skyrim

Nice to see the evolution of the series. The Daggerfall trailer has aged well.
I just watched the whole thing, Morrowind is so good. It's interesting to see how the Oblivion trailer basically only shows a single outdoor setting (a lush forest), especially compared to the Morrowind one. Skyrim is clearly a return to form at least in terms of environments.

Volimar said:
Invisibility/Chameleon spells/potions/scrolls will go a long way, but it has to figure that less combat oriented characters will be somewhat less effective against the dragons.
Well, the tools of stealth have always been there but it's not always handled properly. I got into morrowind because of the ability to create a steath character in an RPG that wasn't just, faster, with a dagger and could steal useless items. I had so much fun, but it was my own fun; I could never do the things the game asked with that character. Oblivion made it much worse I thought. The leveling system really got in the way, no Morag Tong missions, and the extreme need to strong combat that my character never had.

I am praying that I can make the character I want to jump from building to building, pick locks and murder people in their sleep. I never used much magic in that roll but if it fits the character and situation and I'm all for it. I just hope they don't bork the leveling and have me weak later in the game.

I have to somehow not get this until Christmas break.... I'm in my 4th semester of nursing school and have a cardiac test and then finals. I'm pretty sure I will neglect my studies for Skyrim.

cackhyena

m0ngo said:
Tell me about it. I haven't been following this at all, just watched those three short dev walk through's on youtube... From no hype to super hyped in the space of a few minutes. :p
Can someone link me these?

Reluctant-Hero said:
Apparently some shit went down between BioWare & GAF.

Meh. Too hyped for Skyrim to care.

302ysgk.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
So how's it goin guys? Forgot to check this thread since the shit with Bioware went down with the spoilers and then the C&D...

Laekon said:

Aww shit I'll be honest I didn't even think about that. I imagine I will have to kite some dragons to cities and have guards help me fight :lol

edit: also I still can't load avatars very quickly. Site's getting hammered still!

Guys, I'll try and keep up with Skyrim (big) news in the "News and Updates"-section under the OP's main banner. Send me a PM if I miss anything or take a while to update.

BobTheFork said:
Well, the tools of stealth have always been there but it's not always handled properly. I got into morrowind because of the ability to create a steath character in an RPG that wasn't just, faster, with a dagger and could steal useless items. I had so much fun, but it was my own fun; I could never do the things the game asked with that character. Oblivion made it much worse I thought. The leveling system really got in the way, no Morag Tong missions, and the extreme need to strong combat that my character never had.

I am praying that I can make the character I want to jump from building to building, pick locks and murder people in their sleep. I never used much magic in that roll but if it fits the character and situation and I'm all for it. I just hope they don't bork the leveling and have me weak later in the game.

This is a fear I have as well. I really want to be ranged/dagger/stealth kills. I wonder if this game will accommodate that or will I have to re-roll once I hit the proverbial wall so to speak.

JumpingTheGun said:
Bethesda wont be sending any C&D's round this way for discussing all this right?
Ha! Let's hope not!

"People are discussing our game before it's official release?! Cease and Decist that nonsense! We have a PR timeline to manage!"

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
This is a fear I have as well. I really want to be ranged/dagger/stealth kills. I wonder if this game will accommodate that or will I have to re-roll once I hit the proverbial wall so to speak.
I don't imagine ranged players having much trouble. Stealthy dagger-users, however, ae probably going to be screwed. It's a grand TES tradition of condemning certain play types. In Daggerfall, you could only really beat the game as a Spellsword - everything else was just for show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom