• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
aidan said:
I think I've settled on a Redguard Templar type. One Handed/Shield/Restoration/Speech/Heavy Armour.

Does that seem like a decent route? I'd like to also look into either Smithing or Enchantment.
I'm doing something simpler, but probably with a much bigger focus on magic.

Wallach

aidan said:
I think I've settled on a Redguard Templar type. One Handed/Shield/Restoration/Speech/Heavy Armour.

Does that seem like a decent route? I'd like to also look into either Smithing or Enchantment.

Sure. I think any of the Redguard, Nord, Orc or Imperial would be a good race as far as skill bonuses goes. Between them it's more about what you'd rather be, and I'd say the racial powers are also more important than the skill bonuses.

ced

Blue Ninja said:
If I post any more pics, I'll link 'em instead.

Also, I'm not minding the third person killcam as much as I thought I would. It adds a nice touch to combat sometimes, and it's not all that frequent.

Hey if your feeling generous go into the options and see if you can find if the kill cam can be disabled.

Lakitu

st5fu
There have been a few reports of freezing, unsurprisingly.

I'm always going to have a back-up save just incase. Learned that the hard way during New Vegas.

Smellycat said:
SolidSnakex received his copy of GI. Is the Skyrim review supposed to be in it?

Andrew Reiner has just started writing it I believe. So I'd guess no.

Echoplx

Lakitu said:
There have been a few reports of freezing, unsurprisingly.

I'm always going to have a back-up save just incase. Learned that the hard way during New Vegas.

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Sums up how I play Bethesda games on PC

ced said:
Hey if your feeling generous go into the options and see if you can find if the kill cam can be disabled.
That's the first thing I did. Doesn't seem to be an option for it. :(

If it's any consolation though, I seem to be finding the first-person kill animations a lot more distracting than the third-person ones.

bengraven said:
Very rural town. My wife gets regular UPS deliveries, but 1 in 4 seem to go astray and suddenly either disappear, get delivered to a neighbor's house (that neighbor living in Miami for the majority of the week and so not home) or to another town and address altogether.

Me, my wife, my father, and a close friend of mine have all been on the phone with the local depot because of a package that's gone astray and the next time it happens we're going to either refuse to accept UPS deliveries or have them delivered to family member in a more reliable town.

I try not to fuss too much because other than this house, I've never had an issue with UPS,even living in rural areas before in the middle of fucking no where. FedEx and me are a different story.

Ah, I see. Hopefully it doesn't get lost. That would be awful lol.

BrassMonkey1010 said:
Why are people ordering a physical PC copy? Don't you have to register it with Steam anyways?

You don't understand how slow my internet is and how long that would take haha.

LProtag

I was getting worried that I would be overwhelmed with hype and purchase this game even though I've been spending too much money. But then I found out my girlfriend ordered it for me for my birthday.

Best girlfriend.

legbone

all right gaf, i need some help. i have preordered skyrim and have this friday off so i am ready to go. but i would like to pick up a game today to carry me over. i ordered black ops (not really my cup of tea but i like the campaigns) from amazon for $33 bucks last week. but for some reason the usps has sent it to arkansas from iowa by way of california. don't ask me. i have a feeling the guy (it was from amazon marketplace) sent it to arizona by mistake. happens all the time. people assume AR is arizona. but anyway, i have 60 bucks to burn so do i go war in the north or modern warfare 3? i figure war in the north will be $40 bucks or cheaper in a couple of months so i am leaning toward mw3. what do you guys think? and sorry if this is shitting up the thread. i just figure most here are in the same boat as me (hyped up as hell for skyrim and trying to find things to make the time go by).

Biggzy

BrassMonkey1010 said:
Why are people ordering a physical PC copy? Don't you have to register it with Steam anyways?

Well here in the UK, one can easily find a copy of Skyrim that is cheaper than if you download it off steam.

Lakitu

st5fu
legbone said:
all right gaf, i need some help. i have preordered skyrim and have this friday off so i am ready to go. but i would like to pick up a game today to carry me over. i ordered black ops (not really my cup of tea but i like the campaigns) from amazon for $33 bucks last week. but for some reason the usps has sent it to arkansas from iowa by way of california. don't ask me. i have a feeling the guy (it was from amazon marketplace) sent it to arizona by mistake. happens all the time. people assume AR is arizona. but anyway, i have 60 bucks to burn so do i go war in the north or modern warfare 3? i figure war in the north will be $40 bucks or cheaper in a couple of months so i am leaning toward mw3. what do you guys think? and sorry if this is shitting up the thread. i just figure most here are in the same boat as me (hyped up as hell for skyrim and trying to find things to make the time go by).

Never really been fussed about Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer or the Call of Duty games in general, but if it's your sort of thing, why not? Both games (MW 3 / Skyrim) will provide you with ample game time.

legbone

mw3 would be for campaign pretty much. never really got into the multiplayer. unfortunately there is nowhere around here to rent mw3. it will be a while before mw3 comes down in price. ah hell, maybe i will just go back to forza 4. i hit level 51 the other day and haven't touched it since.

Lakitu

st5fu
legbone said:
mw3 would be for campaign pretty much. never really got into the multiplayer. unfortunately there is nowhere around here to rent mw3. it will be a while before mw3 comes down in price. ah hell, maybe i will just go back to forza 4. i hit level 51 the other day and haven't touched it since.

If it's for campaign only, I'd say it's not worth it.

Mr YuYu

My game just froze for the third time. Never had this problem with new vegas or oblivion. Maybe i'm having some bad luck atm.
For the rest the game seems superb. Visuals and music are awesome!

legbone said:
When you're finished with Skyrim, there's a change MW3 will have dropped in price, but not the other way around.

Mr YuYu said:
My game just froze for the third time. Never had this problem with new vegas or oblivion. Maybe i'm having some bad luck atm.
For the rest the game seems superb. Visuals and music are awesome!
No freezes here yet.

PONGSTAR

Banned
legbone said:
That will work or you can just pick individual nose hairs and roll them into miniature javelins.

Zeliard

InsertNameHere said:
I was getting worried that I would be overwhelmed with hype and purchase this game even though I've been spending too much money. But then I found out my girlfriend ordered it for me for my birthday.

Best girlfriend.

ajsbch.gif

MMaRsu

Fuck...i got all excited when i was able to copy my ps3 save to a different profile however when you load it up it disables trophies and saving.. :(

Wilbur

Banned
So I'm fucking hyped.

I never ever ever played RPGs, ever. Hadn't heard of Morrowind. Shunned Final Fantasy. The only turn based I could abide was Pokemon. I was 13, it was 2007, and I was in a supermarket with my brother about to buy Spider-Man 3, complete with exclusive Green Goblin.

Saw Oblivion, argued with my brother for around 40 minutes because I insisted this was supposed to be good and I heard it wasn't all about making potions and spending experience points making Derek the barber as strong as you were, so we got that.

Played it for 170 hours, one save alone. I'm sure it was a Nord, could have been a Redguard. I created so many other saves after that first one I can't remember too much. Which is why I'm having the dilemma I'm having now. Picking a race.

The thing is, I don't think I'm an RPG player. Sure I'll explore everywhere, I'll do the hunting, I'll probably have some ulterior motive for picking a race, but I don't think if I was to imagine a backstory for my character, if I was to say 'well I will only do Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild because he wouldn't do other ones' I'd feel like I wasn't having the complete experience, and I'm generally very likely to use much more sword combat than I am making potions and using soul gems and using spells other than fire ones. That's just me, I'd like to be able to say otherwise because it might help me with this.

The smart money's on a Nord; comes from Skyrim and I can easily see them being the heroes of the tale, ones likely to be Dragonborn and thus fitting in with the story more. Redguards for the same reason, plus they're black which makes them cooler (and outs me as a positive discriminator). I don't want to be an Imperial - too vanilla - or a Breton - too average. The only Elf I'll consider is Dunmer because they're fucking cool, are good at everything (but can I really see one being Dragonborn and Hero Of Skyrim?) and the beast races all appeal to me; Argonian less so due to its completely reptilian look. But the Orcs in Skyrim look fearsome and formidable, especially the ones with white eyes and protruding bones through their noses and whatnot, while the Khajit are fucking lion men. Lion men. The same problem applies though, will it feel weird saving people and doing quests and helping rid the world of dragons if I'm a fucking lion man?

That gives me a choice of 5 to narrow it down to. Nord, Redguard, Dunmer, Orc, Khajit. Convince me GAF. Take into account the fact that if I pick Nord, I probably won't walk around topless and raping wolves into submission, or if I'm an Dunmer I won't burn everyone I suspect has a hatred of me. I'll probably play it a very simple way; completing quests, hacking and slashing, exploring and saying wow fucking wow. Help me here.

legbone

good point blue ninja. i figure i should be finishing skyrim once the new consoles are releasing. mw3 will be cheaper then. this wait is killing me.

Biggzy said:
Well here in the UK, one can easily find a copy of Skyrim that is cheaper than if you download it off steam.

Yup, I was lazy and got it off amazon, where it costs me a few quid extra to get release day shipping. I probably could have got a better deal if I tried, and I'm still saving around £6 compared to if I got it straight off of Steam.

ced

Blue Ninja said:
That's the first thing I did. Doesn't seem to be an option for it. :(

That sucks, so the kill cam stays in first person right? I know it will be annoying but at least it stays in the perspective you play in, I thought it went out to 3rd no matter what.

Seriously, the first-person finishers are a lot more distracting for me than the kill-cam ones. That's a strange realization. :lol

I think the FP ones would be a lot better if they didn't temporarily disable your HUD. Now it just feels weird to stay in first person and have your HUD temporarily disappear for no reason.

ced said:
That sucks, so the kill cam stays in first person right? I know it will be annoying but at least it stays in the perspective you play in, I thought it went out to 3rd no matter what.
It goes into a cinematic kill-cam sometimes, regardless of perspective. But as I noted above, it's a lot less intrusive than it might seem to you now.

LProtag

Not sure if this has been asked a billion times but do we know the differences between the PS3 and 360 versions?

I mean, I only have a PS3 so I'm obviously getting it for that (as I also only have a laptop), but I'm just curious if it's leagues behind or anything.

Zeliard

Wilbury said:
But the Orcs in Skyrim look fearsome and formidable, especially the ones with white eyes and protruding bones through their noses and whatnot, while the Khajit are fucking lion men. Lion men. The same problem applies though, will it feel weird saving people and doing quests and helping rid the world of dragons if I'm a fucking lion man?

Are you saying cat people are incapable of empathy?

Pretty racist stuff.

Wag

Uh, I have a 2600k@4.8GHz, Tri-Crossfire 6950 16GB PC- a 360 and a PS3, what version should I get? :p

KingK

InsertNameHere said:
Not sure if this has been asked a billion times but do we know the differences between the PS3 and 360 versions?

I mean, I only have a PS3 so I'm obviously getting it for that (as I also only have a laptop), but I'm just curious if it's leagues behind or anything.

A bunch of people in this thread already have the PS3 version. It seems like it's on par with the 360 version. No glaring problems noticed so far, as far as I know.

Seep

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah. Opening sequence had a lot of tearing, but now that I'm in the world itself, I haven't noticed any more occurences. The map has a bit of tearing, though.
Cheers, I can deal with that, unless the PS3 version has none then I'll get that one.

schragnasher

Neo Member
Wilbury said:
So I'm fucking hyped.

I never ever ever played RPGs, ever. Hadn't heard of Morrowind. Shunned Final Fantasy. The only turn based I could abide was Pokemon. I was 13, it was 2007, and I was in a supermarket with my brother about to buy Spider-Man 3, complete with exclusive Green Goblin.

Saw Oblivion, argued with my brother for around 40 minutes because I insisted this was supposed to be good and I heard it wasn't all about making potions and spending experience points making Derek the barber as strong as you were, so we got that.

Played it for 170 hours, one save alone. I'm sure it was a Nord, could have been a Redguard. I created so many other saves after that first one I can't remember too much. Which is why I'm having the dilemma I'm having now. Picking a race.

The thing is, I don't think I'm an RPG player. Sure I'll explore everywhere, I'll do the hunting, I'll probably have some ulterior motive for picking a race, but I don't think if I was to imagine a backstory for my character, if I was to say 'well I will only do Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild because he wouldn't do other ones' I'd feel like I wasn't having the complete experience, and I'm generally very likely to use much more sword combat than I am making potions and using soul gems and using spells other than fire ones. That's just me, I'd like to be able to say otherwise because it might help me with this.

The smart money's on a Nord; comes from Skyrim and I can easily see them being the heroes of the tale, ones likely to be Dragonborn and thus fitting in with the story more. Redguards for the same reason, plus they're black which makes them cooler (and outs me as a positive discriminator). I don't want to be an Imperial - too vanilla - or a Breton - too average. The only Elf I'll consider is Dunmer because they're fucking cool, are good at everything (but can I really see one being Dragonborn and Hero Of Skyrim?) and the beast races all appeal to me; Argonian less so due to its completely reptilian look. But the Orcs in Skyrim look fearsome and formidable, especially the ones with white eyes and protruding bones through their noses and whatnot, while the Khajit are fucking lion men. Lion men. The same problem applies though, will it feel weird saving people and doing quests and helping rid the world of dragons if I'm a fucking lion man?

That gives me a choice of 5 to narrow it down to. Nord, Redguard, Dunmer, Orc, Khajit. Convince me GAF. Take into account the fact that if I pick Nord, I probably won't walk around topless and raping wolves into submission, or if I'm an Dunmer I won't burn everyone I suspect has a hatred of me. I'll probably play it a very simple way; completing quests, hacking and slashing, exploring and saying wow fucking wow. Help me here.

LOL If your going through that much thought on a race...Baldurs Gate 2 would make your head explode.

DangerStepp

Minsc said:
Trying to beat TES games is usually the least fun part for me, I tend to ignore the main plot as much as possible and just enjoy the game world
and modding madness
I'm totally the same way here. It's fun to just get out there and explore and create your own adventure.

Woorloog

Banned
People, in case the game happens to be the usual Bethesda quality, remember to keep at least 2 saves. Don't trust one save file alone.
Seriously. I've read post on GAF where people note they have only one save file. That's just plain stupidity when it comes to large games like Skyrim or Fallout 3 etc.

Biggzy

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Yup, I was lazy and got it off amazon, where it costs me a few quid extra to get release day shipping. I probably could have got a better deal if I tried, and I'm still saving around £6 compared to if I got it straight off of Steam.

Asda and Sainsburys both had codes you could have used that shaved off something like 20% off the price.

Wag

Woorloog said:
People, in case the game happens to be the usual Bethesda quality, remember to keep at least 2 saves. Don't trust one save file alone.
Seriously. I've read post on GAF where people note they have only one save file. That's just plain stupidity when it comes to large games like Skyrim or Fallout 3 etc.
Heh. On Fallout 3/New Vegas I had 100 saves.

MMaRsu

Woorloog said:

What are you supposed to do, create a ton of duplicate saves? It's 4mb per save man shit.

I'm a damn badass dark elf what are you bitches doing about that? Nobody mentions these badass dudes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
InsertNameHere said:

Best girlfriend.

My fiance was going to buy it for me, but instead she bought us a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Home & Studio, Robie House, and a passing tour of his houses in Oak Park. Awesome gift, of course - not complaining. But Skyrim would have been cheaper and I would have given her mad props for openly giving me a gift that would shelter me for months.

On topic, I've decided to go with Redguard. The focus on archery and magic is so prominent in the racial bonuses, as well as one-handed for cool swords and shit I find...This is definitely awesome.

Friday, where you at?

thefil

I've decided to go Khajit so I can punch folks effectively. Here's hoping they have they have backwards legs the way I like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom