• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are having more trouble deciding on a race this time because none of the races look fucking stupid anymore. It was easy to choose which ones I definitly did NOT want to be in Morrowind and Oblivion. :lol

Wilbur

Banned
Wallach said:
Solo, I'll help you this one time. You find a sock and I'll get a bar of soap.

Welp. Sounds kinky.

Zeliard said:
Are you saying cat people are incapable of empathy?

Pretty racist stuff.

I'm a positive discriminator, cats are too good for empathy.

I don't know, basically I just feel like if the main quest is similar to Oblivions, it will be weird being proclaimed saviour of Tamriel and Dragonborn lord of all if I'm an Orc, you know?

coopolon

I got my code for Skyrim from Direct2Drive so they seem to be up now. Can also download the game from D2D, hopefully that will work okay for preloading.

Jb

Blue Ninja said:
When you're finished with Skyrim, there's a change MW3 will have dropped in price, but not the other way around.
Yeah.... considering how expensive MW2 and BlOps remained 6 months after their release, I don't see this happening.

Okay, about to try installing the game... But first I want to witness a sunrise.

Bleak Falls Barrow spoilers:
I just exited, and the exit is nowhere near where it was in the video. :lol I'm at a place called... *checks map* Dragon Lair 3? Uh oh...

Rimfya

Banned
In a game this big, how bad can you screw up making a character that you will end up not liking?

I say this as someone coming to Skyrim as a palette cleanser from too many shooters.

legbone

Jay-B said:
Yeah.... considering how expensive MW2 and BlOps remained 6 months after their release, I don't see this happening.

there is probably no way i will be finished with skyrim in 6 months. i think that is the point. i got black ops last week for $33. pretty much one year after release.

Luthos

Has anyone commented on if the game has character profile management? Like in Mass Effect or Dragon Age, where character saves are automatically organized by character?

I doubt it, but it would be oh so nice to have.

Echoplx

Wallach said:
There's a download link? FFFFFFFFFF WHERE IS STEAM PRE-LOAD

I guess Steam pre-load will be very soon

But in the meantime

ifWan7azEchcR.png

Biggzy

Wag said:
Who me? Never! I would never mention that I had such a system and how awesome it is.;)

Lol. I do plan on upgrading my rig, but funds are a bit tight due to me being unemployed and also I might as well wait till Ivy bridge and the new line of graphics cards get released

Nalsh

Wilbury said:
So I'm fucking hyped.

I never ever ever played RPGs, ever. Hadn't heard of Morrowind. Shunned Final Fantasy. The only turn based I could abide was Pokemon. I was 13, it was 2007, and I was in a supermarket with my brother about to buy Spider-Man 3, complete with exclusive Green Goblin.

Saw Oblivion, argued with my brother for around 40 minutes because I insisted this was supposed to be good and I heard it wasn't all about making potions and spending experience points making Derek the barber as strong as you were, so we got that.

Played it for 170 hours, one save alone. I'm sure it was a Nord, could have been a Redguard. I created so many other saves after that first one I can't remember too much. Which is why I'm having the dilemma I'm having now. Picking a race.

The thing is, I don't think I'm an RPG player. Sure I'll explore everywhere, I'll do the hunting, I'll probably have some ulterior motive for picking a race, but I don't think if I was to imagine a backstory for my character, if I was to say 'well I will only do Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild because he wouldn't do other ones' I'd feel like I wasn't having the complete experience, and I'm generally very likely to use much more sword combat than I am making potions and using soul gems and using spells other than fire ones. That's just me, I'd like to be able to say otherwise because it might help me with this.

The smart money's on a Nord; comes from Skyrim and I can easily see them being the heroes of the tale, ones likely to be Dragonborn and thus fitting in with the story more. Redguards for the same reason, plus they're black which makes them cooler (and outs me as a positive discriminator). I don't want to be an Imperial - too vanilla - or a Breton - too average. The only Elf I'll consider is Dunmer because they're fucking cool, are good at everything (but can I really see one being Dragonborn and Hero Of Skyrim?) and the beast races all appeal to me; Argonian less so due to its completely reptilian look. But the Orcs in Skyrim look fearsome and formidable, especially the ones with white eyes and protruding bones through their noses and whatnot, while the Khajit are fucking lion men. Lion men. The same problem applies though, will it feel weird saving people and doing quests and helping rid the world of dragons if I'm a fucking lion man?

That gives me a choice of 5 to narrow it down to. Nord, Redguard, Dunmer, Orc, Khajit. Convince me GAF. Take into account the fact that if I pick Nord, I probably won't walk around topless and raping wolves into submission, or if I'm an Dunmer I won't burn everyone I suspect has a hatred of me. I'll probably play it a very simple way; completing quests, hacking and slashing, exploring and saying wow fucking wow. Help me here.

After some thought, I'm creating a black action hero. Redguards will fit my play style of one-handed melee/destro magic. It all depends on what type of character you want to play.

KingK

GAF, help me decide what character I will be. Keep in mind that this will be my first Elder Scrolls game (other than maybe 5 hours with Oblivion like 4 years ago), but I did play a lot of Fallout 3 so I'm fairly familiar with Bethesda's open world style.

Option 1 is a Bosmer with a focus on Archery plus stealth and alchemy, who also has decent one-handed for when when I have to fight close-quarters and illusion to compliment the stealth. Think a typical ranger/assassin.

Option 2 is a Dunmer with a heavy focus on Destruction magic and One-handed, with smaller focuses on alteration, illusion, and light armor to help with defense.

I have it narrowed down to these 2 (from 5 that I was originally thinking of). I was leaning heavily towards the Bosmer ranger; but concern over how effective I would be when I have to fight a dragon or use a lot of offense, plus how cool dual wielding magic+sword looks is making me really reconsider the Dunmer.

Just killed my first few slaughterfish. You can't attack things while underwater anymore (which sucks, but is realistic, I guess), and there's also no visible "oxygen level".

I'll play either Orc or Argonian to be a dragonborne heroic badass. Khajiit to be a complete asshole, like real life cats.

I've played a human or elf-type race in every game so far. Time to switch it up.

KingK said:
GAF, help me decide what character I will be. Keep in mind that this will be my first Elder Scrolls game (other than maybe 5 hours with Oblivion like 4 years ago), but I did play a lot of Fallout 3 so I'm fairly familiar with Bethesda's open world style.

Option 1 is a Bosmer with a focus on Archery plus stealth and alchemy, who also has decent one-handed for when when I have to fight close-quarters and illusion to compliment the stealth. Think a typical ranger/assassin.

Option 2 is a Dunmer with a heavy focus on Destruction magic and One-handed, with smaller focuses on alteration, illusion, and light armor to help with defense.

I have it narrowed down to these 2 (from 5 that I was originally thinking of). I was leaning heavily towards the Bosmer ranger, but concern over how effective I would be when I have to fight a dragon or use a lot of offense, plus how cool dual wielding magic+sword looks is making me really reconsider the Dunmer.

First play through with an ES game, I'd go with option 2. Except I would focus on restoration more than alteration and illusion, and go with heavy armor instead of light armor.

spirity

Wilbury said:
But the Orcs in Skyrim look fearsome and formidable, especially the ones with white eyes and protruding bones through their noses and whatnot, while the Khajit are fucking lion men. Lion men. The same problem applies though, will it feel weird saving people and doing quests and helping rid the world of dragons if I'm a fucking lion man?

The lone wolf, or guy who turns his back on his racial culture is fairly well represented in fantasy literature, and none is probably as 'famous' as Drizzt Do'Urden, a Drow (Dark Elf) who tells his entire race to basically die in a lake as he heads off having adventures, making friends and generally having a merry old time. He was a pretty bad ass charecter, perhaps the most skillful weapon master since his dear ol dad, he used to go into battle rages, was nigh on invincible when he did. He had a pet panther which was actually a spirit he could summon whenever he wanted, who's name nobody in their right mind reading this will be able to spell off the top of their head. He duel weilded scimitars. Drizzt, that is. Not Ghynnenenvaarer.

Its fantasy. There are no rules, especially in a game where you write your own story. Make your lion man and save the world.

cackhyena

KingK said:

I have it narrowed down to these 2 (from 5 that I was originally thinking of). I was leaning heavily towards the Bosmer ranger; but concern over how effective I would be when I have to fight a dragon or use a lot of offense, plus how cool dual wielding magic+sword looks is making me really reconsider the Dunmer.
Option 1 is my character for sure. I only play these games once through, so stealth it is, and Bosmer is the right choice it seems, according to stats.

Smash88

Banned
So I took a 2 hour nap. I dreamed that I pressed the Pre-load now button on Steam for this game. It's official, I'm screwed come Friday.

bodine1231

I really hope the combat is better than the other Scrolls games. The first person melee stuff has always been the weakest aspect of the series and whats kept me from playing for any extended period of time. Maybe it will feel better in third person since they've worked on making it playable.

Wilbur

Banned
spirity said:
The lone wolf, or guy who turns his back on his racial culture is fairly well represented in fantasy literature, and none is probably as 'famous' as Drizzt Do'Urden, a Drow (Dark Elf) who tells his entire race to basically die in a lake as he heads off having adventures, making friends and generally having a merry old time. He was a pretty bad ass charecter, perhaps the most skillful weapon master since his dear ol dad, he used to go into battle rages, was nigh on invincible when he did. He had a pet panther which was actually a spirit he could summon whenever he wanted, who's name nobody in their right mind reading this will be able to spell off the top of their head. He duel weilded scimitars. Drizzt, that is. Not Ghynnenenvaarer.

Its fantasy. There are no rules, especially in a game where you write your own story. Make your lion man and save the world.

Yeah, fuck the free world. Thanks man.

Odds are I probably won't decide until I'm there in the character creator. I'll probably just make a Nord and call him Thor or something.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
bodine1231 said:
I really hope the combat is better than the other Scrolls games. The first person melee stuff has always been the weakest aspect of the series and whats kept me from playing for any extended period of time. Maybe it will feel better in third person since they've worked on making it playable.

Notch would like a word with you.

Also, magic appears to be pretty huge in this, but the melee isn't ground breaking from the videos.

Got my key off D2D and activated it on Steam, the name of the key was
"Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Digital Disc).

Didn't say anything about region, so those looking at cheap key sites might be in luck. Now to wait for the pre-load... 1 day 16 hours to go.

spekkeh

Banned
My wife just completely botched the beginning.

When you have to jump out of the tower into the farmbuilding; she jumped on the roof and got off the side. You'll live but obviously the trigger doesn't go off. After walking through the town confused a couple of times, she went back up the tower, jumped through the hole in the tower again, and only then did the other characters run towards the town. What's wrong if a few player clipping walls.

Makes you wonder if they even playtested this thing. (once you're past the setpieces, the rest of the game is great, don't get me wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom