• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
are arrows unlimited? or do you have to steal/find/buy them? and how does one become invisible? does it work like active camo in Halo? Cheers

Woorloog

Banned
I Big JG I said:
are arrows unlimited? or do you have to steal/find/buy them? and how does one become invisible? does it work like active camo in Halo? Cheers
No, yes, spell/potion/scroll/enchanted item, no, cheers!

Addendum to last: Chameleon boosts your stealth while sneaking and a chameleon effect active.
Invisibility makes you invisible for the duration, any action breaks it. At least this is how they worked in earlier games.

spekkeh

Banned
webrunner said:
bethesda_lg.jpg

Skryim: Explorin' Crypts, Breakin' Scripts
:lol

Antagon

PONGSTAR said:
Thanks - how are the loading screens and how frequent are they? Similar to Oblivion?

Loading is about as frequent as Oblivion, maybe a little less in the dungeon I was in. The loading itself seems to go by pretty quick, definitely faster then Oblivion had on my PC. Can't compare it with the PS3 version of Oblivion though.

KingK

Alright, I guess I'm going to be a Dunmer with one-handed and destruction magic focus named Rhaegar (seems appropriate, considering the Dunmer homeland was destroyed by a volcanic eruption kind of like the Doom of Valyria, they're resistant to fire like Targaryens, and I'm a dragonborn :p).

spekkeh

Banned
I have a female Dunmer called Ysabel, planning to be a necromancer. Actually my first time ever playing a woman in an RPG, I figured I've been playing men for so long, gonna try something different.

Tried my best to make her semi dangerous and pretty, though I'm not sure why, it's a first person game and in third person the cam's too far away anyway. That's actually my main, er, minor complaint. In Oblivion they used to zoom in on the faces when you had a conversation. Sure it were weird bloated balloons that looked like they were going to pop and splatter all over your face, but now they stay zoomed out and oftentimes in their own selfshadowing. You can't make out their emotions. Oh well.

spekkeh

Banned
AndrewDean84xX said:
Question regarding the blurry textures when game is installed. Do you notice them in third person?
I think people are just bitching, the game looks a lot better, and the textures sharper, than Fallout.

exhume

Witchfinder General said:
Any Ausssies in Sydney grab the game yet?
I'm in Melbourne, but I just called EB and the dude says it won't be in 'til Friday, despite rumours they were gonna be selling it today. :(
Might try calling a few other places in a little bit.

KuroNeeko

GhaleonEB said:
She's 9. I tried to get her into Oblivion three years ago, but despite her reading skills being up to it (she's in 4th grade, reading at the 12th grade level), the complexity of the game was too much for her. I suggested she go back to it this year and she's spent the better part of the past four months playing, so we've been hyping each other up for Skyrim.

It's been fun watching her go through Oblivion, exposing all the highs and lows along the way. When making a character, she asks why everyone looks like they were "carved from a potato". She's really annoyed that if she's caught stealing vegetables from the basement of a house, everyone in the universe instantly knows and is after her. I've been updating her on how those things are fixed in Skyrim, so she's sharing my excitement for it.

She plays the game in such a different way than I do, it's been fascinating to see how our play styles are reflections of our personalities. For both of us, Oblivion was our first open-world RPG. I didn't touch the main quest for a good 40 hours or so, because I love dungeons and exploring and just went wild with it. Her, she also didn't touch the main quest, but she doesn't like dungeons - the music freaks her out and she finds the closed quarters unpleasant; she prefers the open.

To make money she's a thief, raiding every damn house in the world. She cases shops and houses by day, and then re-visits the ones with stuff she wants at night to loot them. She's an alchemist, archer and thief, who largely avoids combat and just creates mischief. She's only done a few quests, but she's poured well over 60 hours into the game and loves it.

We've agreed to set off in opposite directions in our respective games on Friday, and see how different our own experiences are. It'll be the first game we really play together like that. It's going to be a lot of fun. :D

I'm trying to get my 11 month old son to get hyped for this game, but he keeps trying to eat my controller. :(

Probably have to wait for Elder Scrolls VII... :(

spekkeh said:
I think people are just bitching, the game looks a lot better, and the textures sharper, than Fallout.
There's seriously something wrong with them when the game's installed, there's no denying.

Another question to the 360 players who have it installed. How big is the final install to the HDD? Is it the alleged 3.8 gb or bigger?

Wallach

Conjuration perk tree gives me such a boner. God damn, your favorite spell school never could. Please release the game now.

spekkeh said:
I have a female Dunmer called Ysabel, planning to be a necromancer. Actually my first time ever playing a woman in an RPG, I figured I've been playing men for so long, gonna try something different.

Tried my best to make her semi dangerous and pretty, though I'm not sure why, it's a first person game and in third person the cam's too far away anyway. That's actually my main, er, minor complaint. In Oblivion they used to zoom in on the faces when you had a conversation. Sure it were weird bloated balloons that looked like they were going to pop and splatter all over your face, but now they stay zoomed out and oftentimes in their own selfshadowing. You can't make out their emotions. Oh well.

I almost always create female characters, if games didn't me enough strong female characters I'll make one myself.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Lakitu said:
I will have the game installed. But do you think it's me being overly paranoid if I clear the system cache every time I start the game, just incase?

Enjoy redownloading all your patches constantly.

Wallach

loblaw said:
Holy dicks that's lovely.

Now ask yourself - what exactly does dual casting do for Conjuration? Whatever it is I'm sure it's the fucking best.

Edit - Also I want to know if bound weapons still use the core weapon skill they are based on or if they use Conjuration skill as a damage modifier.

Seep

Antagon said:
Got to say, I'm impressed with the game. Didn't like Oblivion, but Skyrim so far seems great. Much better setting, the art is quite decent and I liked the first dungeon I did as well. Combat isn't too terribly exciting though and sneaking seems to be nearly useless, but that might have to do with my skills.

Been playing on the PS3, runs the game pretty well. Some slight slowdown here and there, but nothing serious.
Any screen tearing going on in the PS3 version?

Lakitu

st5fu
Emerson said:
Enjoy redownloading all your patches constantly.

Bah, all I'll be playing is Skyrim and a patch only takes 30 seconds to a minute to download and install. Still, it may be overkill. I'll probably just do it when I notice the textures are out of whack.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Lakitu said:
Bah, all I'll be playing is Skyrim and a patch only takes 30 seconds to a minute to download and install. Still, it may be overkill. I'll probably just do it when I notice the textures are out of whack.

Man these 4 MB patches take forever on my internet. I dunno why, my internet is fast everywhere else. Probably a port thing or something.

abundant

Wallach said:
Now ask yourself - what exactly does dual casting do for Conjuration? Whatever it is I'm sure it's the fucking best.

All Duel Casting a spell does is double it's effect, so duel casting a summon spell will double the summoned creatures HP and it's duration.

UrbanRats

I think i'll go with either a Redguard or an Imperial.
See the Redguards are more badasses in general, but the Imperials have the highground in every debait, plus a significant leg up in life.
And ofcourse the moral highground, as they are trying to "educate" these Nordic savages.

Timber

Screen tearing is pretty ridic when viewing the map. Other than that I haven't experienced any issues.

Haven't installed the game (or the patch for that matter, can't get my console online) and some of the textures are still... eh... let's just say they probably weren't meant to be viewed up close.

Kuro Madoushi said:
ummm...sorry if this has been posted already. I'm a bit confused

I know skyrim has steamworks integration...

But does this mean if I get the game off of D2D, I can activate it on Steam?

Just wanted to make sure since I believe batman has steamworks, but you don't activate it on steam
The download off of D2D just looks like the files that come along on the CD version of the game. So on the official release date you just have to run the installer and it'll go through Steam and download the final few files you need to play the game and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom