• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linconan

exhume said:
I'm in Melbourne, but I just called EB and the dude says it won't be in 'til Friday, despite rumours they were gonna be selling it today. :(
Might try calling a few other places in a little bit.
I'm in Tas and ringing around, nobody's selling atm ffs!,lol
Hopefully someone will.

I hate it when a games just about released and people are on their cue cards..
"No, the 11th"
They've got the game, sell the fucking thing!
Somebody's gotto break.

Kmart, Target, BigW would be the likely bet to break first. Eb won't, unless someone else is selling first and get word from head office to start aswell.

Come on, somebody put me outta misery or save me. GIMMIE THE FUCKING GAME!
lol

Acosta

KuroNeeko said:
I'm trying to get my 11 month year old son to get hyped for this game, but he keeps trying to eat my controller. :(

Probably have to wait for Elder Scrolls VII... :(

hahaha, that's the cutest thing I have read today, kudos!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hrm, so with 18 skills and 10-15 perks per skill, and a soft level cap of 50, that definitely encourages some specialization and multiple distinct playthroughs. Good to see.

KuroNeeko

Just curious but -

1) Can anyone out there with a US version of the game (360) confirm / deny that the game runs on a Japanese console?

2) If I buy the Asian version (for compatibility with my Japanese Xbox), will I be able to download / use DLC from the US marketplace?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EviLore said:
Hrm, so with 18 skills and 10-15 perks per skill, and a soft level cap of 50, that definitely encourages some specialization and multiple distinct playthroughs. Good to see.
whassa soft level cap?

Gravijah

EviLore said:

1h, stealth, pickpocketing... alright i'll be good.

Fjordson

CrazyDude said:
Well, who do you think sits on a throne?
Well the High King of Skyrim is gone. Might be the leader of the Stormcloaks? I haven't really looked into the setup for this game as far as lore goes.

Well, I've slain my first dragon. The battle was definitely awesome, though maybe a bit too easy (I put the difficulty on Adept at the start of the game). The moments afterwards are pretty awesome, to be sure.

I also had way too much loot stored. I figured I'd drop an axe I didn't need on a table in the palace of Whiterun, but I was reprimanded by a guard who told me I shouln't leave dangerous things lying around. :lol

Timber

I think they actually went and wrote some new lore books for this one. Not entirely sure tho, they might have picked some from previous games that were specifically about the province of Skyrim.

At the very least there is
Lusty Argonian Maid, volume II.
It's ace.

Lakitu

st5fu
The depth of how you can play is one of the things that draws me to the series, among other things. Apart from how you approach your character stastically, there's also the roleplaying side of things. Hell, you could even roleplay as a boring Imperial named Colin, who comes home from after a long day of woodcutting to his wife, has a meal, then goes for a few pints of mead at the local tavern.

erragal

Hawkian said:
whassa soft level cap?

There's a soft cap of 50 for the game. The game is only balanced ( I imagine this means level scaling/enemies all max at 50) up to level 50. You can go beyond that but it's supposedly much slower.

Basically if you go beyond 50 you're 'breaking' the difficulty curve of the game. Assuming you play the game without trying to power level (Since not all content scales) the majority of relevant game time should really require specialization; as EvilLore said it really adds value to multiple playthroughs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blue Ninja said:
I figured I'd drop an axe I didn't need on a table in the palace of Whiterun, but I was reprimanded by a guard who told me I shouln't leave dangerous things lying around. :lol
bahaha.

Thanks for the answers on the level cap.

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Well, I've slain my first dragon. The battle was definitely awesome, though maybe a bit too easy (I put the difficulty on Adept at the start of the game). The moments afterwards are pretty awesome, to be sure.

I also had way too much loot stored. I figured I'd drop an axe I didn't need on a table in the palace of Whiterun, but I was reprimanded by a guard who told me I shouln't leave dangerous things lying around. :lol
Really?
REALLY?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Out of curiousity, how does this game compare in size (square milage, number of quests, content, etc...) to vanilla Fallout 3?

Lakitu said:
The depth of how you can play is one of the things that draws me to the series, among other things. Apart from how you approach your character stastically, there's also the roleplaying side of things. Hell, you could even roleplay as a boring Imperial named Colin, who comes home from after a long day of woodcutting to his wife, has a meal, then goes for a few pints of mead at the local tavern.
What a coincidence, one of the main characters from the TES book series is an Imperial called Colin. :lol

He's a bit less normal than what you're describing, though.

Derrick01

Banned
Timber said:
I think they actually went and wrote some new lore books for this one. Not entirely sure tho, they might have picked some from previous games that were specifically about the province of Skyrim.

At the very least there is
Lusty Argonian Maid, volume II.
It's ace.

The saga continues!!!

moojito

I wonder if there's an achievement for collecting all of the books and putting them in your bookshelf. That'd be priority #1 for me if so.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
aidan said:
Out of curiousity, how does this game compare in size (square milage, number of quests, content, etc...) to vanilla Fallout 3?

Morrowind - 10 square miles
Gothic 2 - 10 square miles
Fallout 3 - 15 square miles
Oblivion - 16 square miles
Skyrim - 16 square miles
Two Worlds - 16.2 square miles
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel - 22 square miles
Two Worlds 2 - 23 square miles
Gothic 3 - 29 square miles

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:

Okay, that's pretty interesting. I wonder how much people will react to you doing actions like that. In Oblivion and Fallout 3 you could leap around like a bafoon on the table while swinging a sword around and dump a pile of loot at someone's feet an no one would notice.

Hawkian said:
bahaha.

Thanks for the answers on the level cap.
Yeah, really. :lol

I did come across something odd. I decided to drop an Iron cuirass instead and just drag it around until I reached a store. I accidentally went through the door back into Whiterun without picking it up again, and when I went back inside the cuirass was gone.

Damn Whiterun guards, always stealing my shit.

Edit: whoops, screwed up on my phone again, was trying to quote Woorloog. Lol

hemtae

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, that's pretty interesting. I wonder how much people will react to you doing actions like that. In Oblivion and Fallout 3 you could leap around like a bafoon on the table while swinging a sword around and dump a pile of loot at someone's feet an no one would notice.

In Fallout 3, a lot of people commented on you knocking stuff around and staring at locked containers and what not.

GhaleonEB said:
They've said if someone really hates you and you drop a weapon near them they might attack you with it.

Woorloog

Banned
EviLore said:
Skyrim - 16 square miles
Wasn't Skyrim stated to be larger than Oblivion's Cyrodiil?

ShinNL

EviLore said:
Skyrim - 16 square miles
Huh. Strange, I thought Oblivion felt smaller than Morrowind. I guess facts tell me I'm wrong :|

Blue Ninja said:

what would have happened if you hit the guard in the face with the axe? haha

painey

anyone think Skyrim will have Black Friday deals? I remember last year I got some great games for $30 when they were $60 in stores

KorrZ

My hype for this game is reaching critical levels. Just have to make it through tomorrow and I'll be ready for the midnight release. Been watching the first gameplay trailer for Skyrim and man I still think that's the best trailer they've put out for this game. I just love the moment where it goes "But there's one they fear....in their tongue he's dovahkiin, DRAGONBORN" *Epic music kick in*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muK3GGppPpM&feature=player_detailpage#t=62s

Soneet said:
Huh. Strange, I thought Oblivion felt smaller than Morrowind. I guess facts tell me I'm wrong :|

Oblivion had much less different type of areas. Morrowind had swamps, deserts, mountains, beaches, lakes, different types of forests and so on...

Oblivion had very little different scenery.

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
What a coincidence, one of the main characters from the TES book series is an Imperial called Colin. :lol

He's a bit less normal than what you're describing, though.

Speaking of which, I really need to read them. Feels like I'm missing a good chunk of the lore.

Woorloog

Banned
Lakitu said:
Speaking of which, I really need to read them. Feels like I'm missing a good chunk of the lore.
Me too. I just can't find them here in Finland, so i probably have to order them. Annoying.
Though maybe i'll try to learn everything i can from the time beetween OB and SK through Skyrim first.

Trojita said:
Ugh I didn't realize the PC (and PS3) will be getting DLC a month late. I hate this shit.
No worries - the days of the epic 30-hour, Shivering Isles-style expansion are over. All we have to look forward to are mini-campaigns about 3-4 hours in length. We're not missing anything.

GreekWolf

EviLore said:
Skyrim - 16 square miles
Ahh, my beloved Sacred 2. So many hours spent wandering around aimlessly in a jank-fest of a world. The game finally showed mercy by deleting all my saves, after my Temple Guardian fell completely through the ground, bounced back up into the game world, shot off into the sky like a rocket and disappeared forever.

I stared at my television, slack-jawed, for over an hour.

kokujin

Banned
Deified Data said:
No worries - the days of the epic 30-hour, Shivering Isles-style expansion are over. All we have to look forward to are mini-campaigns about 3-4 hours in length. We're not missing anything.
Plus we'll be occupied modding the game to perfection.

Few answers:

First off, the texture issue doesn't seem to affect third person. However, the way the camera alternates from over the shoulder to oblvion-style really kills it, imo, so I wouldn't call it a viable way to play even WITH the pretty animations.

The guy on the throne is
Ulfric Stormcloak
. He's not the only one in Skyrim sitting on a throne, though.

And I stopped playing for today: I still live with my parents so I couldn't pull an all-nighter since my Xbox is downstairs along with my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom