• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Soneet said:
Huh. Strange, I thought Oblivion felt smaller than Morrowind. I guess facts tell me I'm wrong :|

morrowind had slower run speed i believe ..plus the fog effect didn't allow you to see very far

MrBig

Deified Data said:
No worries - the days of the epic 30-hour, Shivering Isles-style expansion are over. All we have to look forward to are mini-campaigns about 3-4 hours in length. We're not missing anything.
Uh, no. Bethesda stated they are switching to the shivering isles expansion style rather than the fallout missions.

Khezu

KingK said:
They should really add spears as weapons in the Elder Scrolls games. Any particular reason they don't?

They were in the past games, they were removed for oblivion, and not returning to skyrim out of spite.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
bloodydrake said:
morrowind had slower run speed i believe ..plus the fog effect didn't allow you to see very far

First thing I always do is get those damn boots of blinding speed.

pahamrick

Spoilers for Companions Guild / Fighter's guild only read if you've completed that quest line. With that disclaimer out of the way...

Regarding Werewolves, for anyone who has beaten the Companion's Guild quests -- do they start showing up in the wild or do you only see them for that particular quest line?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
GreekWolf said:
Ahh, my beloved Sacred 2. So many hours spent wandering around aimlessly in a jank-fest of a world. The game finally showed mercy by deleting all my saves, after my Temple Guardian fell completely through the ground, bounced back up into the game world, shot off into the sky like a rocket and disappeared forever.

I stared at my television, slack-jawed, for over an hour.

This is amazing. Sacred 2 was a really fun game, but it was riddled with the most bizarre bugs. I had a TG with my mount get stuck in a building. Not as cool as rocketing off the planet though - that's pretty sweet.

Chris R

xelios said:
First thing I always do is get those damn boots of blinding speed.
And then figure out a way to get temporary 100% magicka resist and put the boots on and not take them off for quite a while.

GhaleonEB

hemtae said:
In Fallout 3, a lot of people commented on you knocking stuff around and staring at locked containers and what not.
I never noticed. I made it a habit to talk with people while standing on a table/counter and didn't get any flack for it.

DeathIsTheEnd said:
They've said if someone really hates you and you drop a weapon near them they might attack you with it.
Heh. I can see myself pissing someone off and then tossing a sword down just to see if they take the bait.

Deified Data said:
Odd. I've heard the exact opposite. Can anyone confirm?

Here:
“The Fallout 3 pace that we did was very chaotic,” Howard said to AusGamers. “We did a lot of them – we had two overlapping groups – and we don’t know what we’re going to make yet, but we’d like them to be closer to an expansion pack feel.”

“We don’t have any specific plans yet, but they’ve been really successful and we like making them. So right now I can say that we’d like to do less DLC but bigger ones – you know, more substantial.”
http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/29/howard-skyrim-dlc-likely-to-have-expansion-pack-feel/

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Now ask yourself - what exactly does dual casting do for Conjuration? Whatever it is I'm sure it's the fucking best.

Haha yeah. Also wielding two spell types.

Bit of Necromancy in one hand, bit of Destruction in the other, and a side order of delicious mana pots.

Destroying fools and then resurrecting them to join the battle on my side.

MrBig

Deified Data said:
Odd. I've heard the exact opposite. Can anyone confirm?

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3076322
usGamers: Now last question -- and this is kind of a weird convoluted one. So I know you can’t talk about DLC but based on what’s come before it’s definitely going to happen.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are really good examples of this: at the end of the game, if you’d finished it and you bought DLC... sorry, when you had finished the game before the DLC came out, you couldn’t just go back and continue to explore. Are you guys going to lock the player out when they complete this game?

Todd: No. No, that was a mistake, yeah. We were really confident about that, then the game came out and we heard pretty loud and clear that was not what they wanted. So we’re not gonna do that again. No, you’ll definitely be able to.. when you finish the main quest you can just keep playing.

And you mentioned DLC. We would like to do DLC; we don’t have any specific plans yet, but they’ve been really successful and we like making them. So right now I can say that we’d like to do less DLC but bigger ones -- you know, more substantial. The Fallout 3 pace that we did was very chaotic. We did a lot of them -- we had two overlapping groups -- and we don’t know what we’re going to make yet, but we’d like them to be closer to an expansion pack feel.

Akai

hemtae said:
In Fallout 3, a lot of people commented on you knocking stuff around and staring at locked containers and what not.

Oh man, the locked container commentary was so bloody annoying. You could just be turning around and if you managed to highlight the container for a split-second you'd be treated as a potential thief. The NPCs of Fallout have serious paranoia issues...

Jonsoncao

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Code:
Dark Souls     Reanimated undead have 100 points more health.
Referencing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in a single perk. Awesome.

I'm SUPER hyped for this game. The (now nuked) video where the player
turns into a fucking werewolf and starts eating people
has amped my hype up to 11.

I want this game in my hands now :)
Nice.

JAFAR said:
Is it friday yet?
Is for me.

Best part of it all? I have tomorrow, thursday and friday off. That's five days I get to play the shit out of this game.

Cue the hate-filled PMs... :lol

I'll post some more impressions in the morning, if you guys want 'em. If you've got any more questions you want answered, shoot me a PM.

hemtae

GhaleonEB said:
I never noticed. I made it a habit to talk with people while standing on a table/counter and didn't get any flack for it.

I don't think they cared if where you were standing, but if you started knocking around glasses or plates or those light metal barrels, then some NPC would yell something at you along the lines of "watch where you're going" or "careful"

Timber

This farmer is working his field, and suddenly he stops what he's doing because his chicken walks past. He's observing it, bending over a bit and following it with his head. Then, when the chicken is gone, the farmer looks up and stares at me with this quizzical expression on his face, like WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT.

Not as funny when I write it down because it was such a visual moment, but it was the funniest thing I've ever seen in a game.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The best way to wait for Skyrim is to read nonstop impressions of Skyrim, because apparently everyone has Skyrim now all of a sudden. :(((

Speaking of bugs, I had that large Frostbite spider clip partly through the ground when I killed it. It started slowly spinning around, dead but with its mandibles moving, and I couldn't loot the damned thing.

Another spider had its drop-down-from-the-ceiling animation cut short, and started walking around in the air.

All in all, nothing game-breaking, just a few Bethesda Signature Moments. :p

SpeedingUptoStop said:
The best way to wait for Skyrim is to read nonstop impressions of Skyrim, because apparently everyone has Skyrim now all of a sudden. :(((
Maybe. Not sure if it makes the wait harder or easier. Wish I could simply forget about Skyrim for a couple of days. It'd be like time-travel.

hey, about that "download" button on d2d... is that thing locked until friday, or can i actually play it when it's done??

edit: mmm those delicious skyrim bits and bytes are now streaming to my hd

catapult37 said:
hey, about that "download" button on d2d... is that thing locked until friday, or can i actually play it when it's done??
locked until it's unlocked on steam. It just downloads the files that the steam preload or the CD version would have. You still need the extra files that aren't released until the official unlocking time/date to actually play the game.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This week is killing me. It's so long and I have 7 straight days of exams between yesterday and next Tuesday. Friday and Monday are the worst of them :(

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
I really have a dilemma regarding which version should I get. I had the 360 version preordered, but after all the texture glitch debacle, and hearing the PS3 version was as good, today I swapped my preorder for it. But then I heard some issues with shadows and whatnot on PS3 and here I am, asking myself which one should I get. Ideally I should wait until digital foundry makes a face off analysis, but come on. The key for me is performance, since there is not any online component, I feel comfortable with both controllers, and don't care about achievements or trophies.

Any other gaffer in the same situation?

BTW, I am posting this from a pentium 4 (old but well kept), so superior PC version is out of the equation.

GhaleonEB

hemtae said:
I don't think they cared if where you were standing, but if you started knocking around glasses or plates or those light metal barrels, then some NPC would yell something at you along the lines of "watch where you're going" or "careful"
Ah, got it. I can report they very much did respond to my population-depleting end of game rampage. My combat shotgun burst a lot of noggins mid-conversation. There was something wickedly comic about the VATS zoom-in in the middle of conversation.

Dr. Ecco said:
I really have a dilemma regarding which version should I get. I had the 360 version preordered, but after all the texture glitch debacle, and hearing the PS3 version was as good, today I swapped my preorder for it. But then I heard some issues with shadows and whatnot on PS3 and here I am, asking myself which one should I get. Ideally I should wait until digital foundry makes a face off analysis, but come on. The key for me is performance, since there is not any online component, I feel comfortable with both controllers, and don't care about achievements or trophies.

BTW, I am posting this from a pentium 4 (old but well kept), so superior PC version is out of the equation.
Where are you hearing all of this from? I mean, I've seen the info about the 360 version having some texture problems...but that's when it's installed on the harddrive. When it was run off the disc it was fine so it seems like a non-issue. I saw a quick video of the PS3 version and it looked just as beautiful as the 360 does.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either version although I think the 360 might be a safer bet until more info is known.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Dr. Ecco said:

The texture shit, if there is a problem, is only related to install vs not right?

Dr. Ecco said:

It's a Beth game. Get 360, that install thing'll get patched soon enough.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Remember that Todd Howard video interview from earlier in the year where he commented on how he couldn't keep up with the Oblivion official thread on GAF due to its size and popularity, and hadn't really experienced that before? And that was a milestone for us as, iirc, our first official game thread to get to 10,000 replies. And to get to 10,000 replies, it took from

03-02-2006, 03:58 PM -----> 08-17-2006, 09:51 PM

Times sure do change.

KingK

I'm really starting to regret that I never stuck with Oblivion or tried to get back into it back in the day. I found the art style bland, the leveling system was shit, and I had no idea where I was supposed to go, so I dropped it after 3-5 hours of playing at my friends house back in '07.

But after I played Fallout 3, the huge, open world RPG style just clicked for me, and I gained an appreciation for Bethesda's style. I was just watching some playthrough videos of Oblivion while working on some Calc 3, and I can already tell that I would really like the game if I tried it again today. But I know it'll feel extra janky and backwards after playing Skyrim (since Skyrim actually has a beautiful art style and leveling that's not shit), so I'll probably never end up playing it. Oh well :(

EviLore said:
Remember that Todd Howard video interview from earlier in the year where he commented on how he couldn't keep up with the Oblivion official thread on GAF due to its size and popularity, and hadn't really experienced that before? And that was a milestone for us as, iirc, our first official game thread to get to 10,000 replies. And to get to 10,000 replies, it took from

Times sure do change.
lol, we're almost at 4,500 replies and the game is still 3 days away. I'm guessing the number of GAF members has significantly increased since 2006?

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Remij said:
Where are you hearing all of this from? I mean, I've seen the info about the 360 version having some texture problems...but that's when it's installed on the harddrive. When it was run off the disc it was fine so it seems like a non-issue. I saw a quick video of the PS3 version and it looked just as beautiful as the 360 does.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either version although I think the 360 might be a safer bet until more info is known.

~Kinggi~ said:
The texture shit, if there is a problem, is only related to install vs not right?

I'm basing all of this from the impressions of fellow gaffers. I always install my games and in this case it seems to halve loading times, which is some serious advantage. Maybe the texture glitch when installing will be solved with the day-one patch, or is it out already? (haven't checked out the thread for a while today).

Well, anyway I'm sure both versions will be pretty solid, but I'm a pathological perfectionist :p

Blue Ninja said:
It's a Beth game. Get 360, that install thing'll get patched soon enough.

Might end up doing that.

GhaleonEB

EviLore said:

Times sure do change.
Do you know how many more active users there are now than then? I know the community has grown, and a lot, but I don't have a feel for how much given the sizes of the jr. waves and subsequent attrition. It's crazy how fast threads can blow past 10k these days.

EviLore said:

Times sure do change.
Yet Todd Howard still watches over us all, blessing the good with smooth gameplay and cursing the wicked with game-breaking bugs.

Thus it is written. Believe.

bender

What time is it?
~Kinggi~ said:

It sounds like that is getting patched. I'd rather have the PS3 version if I was forced to let my 360 read discs as the sound is loud and annoying.

Along those lines, and this has probably been asked before, I know the install is 3.8GB for the 360 but is that a full install as in the 360 only checks the disc at boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom