• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i was thinking about getting the strategy guide but is it really worth it for a game like this?
The Oblivion strategy guide was toilet reading material for at least a year. Good stuff.

Xdrive05

nastynate409 said:
So I have a Nvidia GTX 465 1GB video card. Everything else on my PC is up to snuff for sure. Think I'll be able to get good quality graphics and gameplay out of this card on Skyrim?

You'll max it @ 1080p, easily - MAYBE with scaled back AA - maybe no need to scale it back. "Recommended" is only a gtx260 (+- 70% of your card).*

*Major league speculation, of course - based on good anecdotal info and official specs. But all signs indicate you will be fine.

Korosenai

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i was thinking about getting the strategy guide but is it really worth it for a game like this?
It is definitely worth it for a game like this. I don't see how it couldn't be for a game like this with so much content.

Plus

skyrim-official-strategy-guide-preview.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:

ES games are probably the only games you can actually justify having a strategy guide in today's time. The game is too big with too many things for internet guides, it will take a long time before organized and complete ones are out there.

Derrick01 said:
ES games are probably the only games you can actually justify having a strategy guide in today's time. The game is too big with too many things for internet guides, it will take a long time before organized and complete ones are out there.

i bought the darks souls one and that is pretty handy. maybe i will buy this then.... any difference between the paperback and hard cover?

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Have Alex Smith hold it for you while you're playing. Thats all that his tiny hands are good for.

TheLegendary said:
Have Alex Smith hold it for you while you're playing. Thats all that his tiny hands are good for.

he needs to save his strength to hoist the lombardi trophy (it will be renamed the harbaugh trophy after this year though)

So I hastily preordered Skyrim on Steam but after checking the system requirements I don't think I'm going to be able to actually run it. Does anyone know if you can refund preorders on Steam or am I fucked?

coopolon

GuitarAtomik said:
So I hastily preordered Skyrim on Steam but after checking the system requirements I don't think I'm going to be able to actually run it. Does anyone know if you can refund preorders on Steam or am I fucked?

You can get refunded by submitting a support ticket as long as you do it before the game is released. So I'd send in a support ticket ASAP because Steam support is slow.

LProtag

I'm also debating picking up the hardcover strategy guide for this game.

Is it as good as the Dark Souls strategy guide? I love that guide, even just the way it's set up is amazing.

Wallach

GuitarAtomik said:

You can, yeah. You just need to put in a support ticket... I wonder if that is online right now after the forum hack over there.

If they try to give you any shit about it tell them that it's because they don't have the specs on their store page.

Bog

Junior Ace
Has anyone heard how processor dependent Skyrim is? I have a 6950 2GB, but with a processor from a few years ago. BF3 doesn't seem to give a damn, so I'm hoping Skyrim won't either.

Complistic

Bog said:
Has anyone heard how processor dependent Skyrim is? I have a 6950 2GB, but with a processor from a few years ago. BF3 doesn't seem to give a damn, so I'm hoping Skyrim won't either.

If BF3 doesn't give a damn you'll be more than fine for skyrim.

Wallach

NubInaTub said:
Does this game have an ending where you can't free roam afterwards? I just want to know ahead of time.

You should be able to continue free-roaming in the world once the main quest is complete. That was stated in one of the earlier interviews.

SpaceHorror

NubInaTub said:
It is definitely worth it for a game like this. I don't see how it couldn't be for a game like this with so much content.

Plus

skyrim-official-strategy-guide-preview.jpg

Holy hell that thing is massive.

I will probably pick it up for toilet reading myself.

Ketch

I'm thinking about upgrading my gtx 260 to a 560 tomorrow so I'll be ready when the game comes out.

Someone said something about pre-loading? I'm not seeing it on steam.

Edit: Thanks Wallach

Wallach

EasyTGT said:
I'm thinking about upgrading my gtx 260 to a 560 tomorrow so I'll be ready when the game comes out.

Someone said something about pre-loading? I'm not seeing it on steam.

Restart Steam if you don't see it.

Well maybe you guys can help me before I go through all that. My computer is pretty old now with an Intel Core 2 6400 2.13Ghz processor, 3GB of RAM, and an Nvidia 9800 GT card. The only taxing games I can think of that I've run on it recently to compare are Crysis 1 & 2 (which both run fine on high but not maxed), Deus Ex: HR (which ran great pretty much maxed), and Witcher 2 (which is pretty unplayable even towards low settings). Do you think I'll be fine or am I skirting the line here?

If all else fails I can get the console version but I know if I do that I'll end up buying the PC version down the line.

GuitarAtomik said:
Well maybe you guys can help me before I go through all that. My computer is pretty old now with an Intel Core 2 6400 2.13Ghz processor, 3GB of RAM, and an Nvidia 9800 GT card. The only taxing games I can think of that I've run on it recently to compare are Crysis 1 & 2 (which both run fine on high but not maxed), Deus Ex: HR (which ran great pretty much maxed), and Witcher 2 (which is pretty unplayable even towards low settings). Do you think I'll be fine or am I skirting the line here?

If all else fails I can get the console version but I know if I do that I'll end up buying the PC version down the line.
I want to say it will run fine on ~medium settings for you. But I'd wait til one of the people are are better at judging PC specs responds to you. :p

Honestly, PCs that hit the minimum spec will probably run the game about as well as an Xbox... that is: low-medium settings at 720p with framerates in the high 20s and low 30s. Unless you have a single core processor or a low end video card from 2008 you'll probably be fine.

I have a relatively powerful laptop that I'm gonna play on but I'm willing to bet my old desktop computer with a C2D and GTS 260 or something like that would even be able to play the game at nice settings

Skullkid

Whooo so happy that the PS3 version is good. I wasn't sure what to play next after Dark Souls. Uncharted and Batman are in the backlog but they can wait now.

Preload finished. Now just to try to ignore everything about this game for 2 days to make the time go by faster. (like that'll ever happen.)

still mad that amazon isnt shipping the guide with same day delivery for Prime members, its really the main reason I even have the service

Loxley

GodfatherX said:
still mad that amazon isnt shipping the guide with same day delivery for Prime members, its really the main reason I even have the service

Yeah, I've got the hardcover CE pre-ordered but it won't get here until Monday >< My favorite part was at checkout when it gave me my shipping options:

~ FREE Two-Day Shipping - Get it Monday, November 14th!

or

~ $3.99 One-Day Shipping - Get it Monday, November 14th!

><

Esch

Banned
Piercedveil said:
Plan to play with my 5670. Honestly I think it will run pretty well.
Well it helps that my res is capped out at 768, i guess. And honestly i'll probably be playing a great deal of it on my comfy couch too.

Unicorn

Gattsu25 said:
The (now nuked) video where the player
turns into a fucking werewolf and starts eating people
has amped my hype up to 11.
WHAT

No, really. Was it just a spell or shout or something, or is that shit back from Morrowind?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom