• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noooo! My 360 was just RRODed. I already bought Skyrim...but no money to fix my 360 and won't be able to for months. *tears* Alduin did this.

Dany

Banned
I'm curious. I know Skyrim is taking advantage of 11/11/11 but if the game sells well through the weekend, maybe this will be the new trend for big titles, releasing on friday?

bengraven

nicoga3000 said:
Epic much?

He's getting his ass kicked. For every punch he got in, he was spending 3 minutes hiding behind a rock doing a double-fisted healing spell. Died three times so far. haha

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
He's getting his ass kicked. For every punch he got in, he was spending 3 minutes hiding behind a rock doing a double-fisted healing spell. Died three times so far. haha
As it should be!

bengraven

Interesting that every time he reloads the dragon lands at the same spot. So while it's random, the system must keep in mind how long it's been since he's been attacked and so sets a time and place for him to get attacked.

You know you're excited when you start counting down the amount of sleeps you need to take before getting the game. For me, it's 2.

Soon, I will be counting down the hours... then minutes. Oh dear..

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
bengraven said:

That's sort of awesome. I fully expect people to make this happen - naked dragon punch rumbles.

zethren

Banned
-Yeti said:
You know you're excited when you start counting down the amount of sleeps you need to take before getting the game. For me, it's 2.

Soon, I will be counting down the hours... then minutes. Oh dear..

50 more hours until the midnight launch.

2 more sleeps = 16 hours total (8 hours per sleep).

50 - 16 = 34.

34 more waking hours until the midnight launch.

Want to make Skyrim come out sooner? Just go to sleep right now and wake up Thursday night. lol

Esch

Banned
The PC version gets unlocked thursday night right? RIGHT?

tumblr_lg7s7jLaOI1qef84so1_500.gif

bengraven

nicoga3000 said:
That's sort of awesome. I fully expect people to make this happen - naked dragon punch rumbles.

I want to try and turn a giant on a dragon and see if the giant's hammer strike will send the dragon flying up into the air like in that glitch video.

KorrZ

zethren said:

50 - 16 = 34.

:\ when you put it that way the wait seems even more torturous.

LProtag

So for those who have it, how rare exactly are arrows?

I'm looking at an archer/dual wielding stealth character.

Probably going to grab almost all the archery perks, a good deal of one handed and stealth perks, some of the basic light armor perks and maybe a few lockpicking/pickpocketing perks.

Fjordson

GhaleonEB said:
As it should be!
Agreed.

Seems like that sense of danger is there in this game that was really lacking in Oblivion. I've seen multiple people getting their ass kicked by a multitude of enemies.

zethren said:

50 - 16 = 34.

Want to make Skyrim come out sooner? Just go to sleep right now and wake up Thursday night. lol

I would TOTALLY do that if it weren't for work.

Einbroch

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
So for those who have it, how rare exactly are arrows?

I'm looking at an archer/dual wielding stealth character.

Probably going to grab almost all the archery perks, a good deal of one handed and stealth perks, some of the basic light armor perks and maybe a few lockpicking/pickpocketing perks.
Not rare at all once you get going in the game.

Archery is very strong but very difficult. No autoaim, strafing enemies, arrow travel time, have to pull back the string all the way before firing or you'll fire a limp shot.

So tell me what you guys think of this idea:

For the first run through, progress more or less along the main quest. A few side-missions that are presented to you, but otherwise nothing else.
When you beat the main quest, you will have a better idea of whether this character is the one you want to explore and really role play with.
If you want to change character, it is as simple as starting a new game. All the dungeons and ruins are there for you to conquer regardless.
This style essentially treats the main quest as an extended tutorial on the world of Skyrim, allowing you to better understand what exactly you want your character to be.

GhaleonEB

Fjordson said:
Agreed.

Seems like that sense of danger is there in this game that was really lacking in Oblivion. I've seen multiple people getting their ass kicked by a multitude of enemies.
I read a mention in the thread a while back that the higher you go in the mountains, the more dangerous it is. Naturally, once I'm out in the world, I'm setting my sights upward. I want to see just how hard the game gets, test the waters a little.

LProtag

Einbroch said:
Not rare at all once you get going in the game.

Archery is very strong but very difficult. No autoaim, strafing enemies, arrow travel time, have to pull back the string all the way before firing or you'll fire a limp shot.

I was hoping for mostly stealth archery kills, that is of course until I'm noticed or what not. Basically why I decided I'd invest heavily in dual wielding as well, to chop up anything that gets too close.

bengraven

Weak!

The guy seemed to lure it towards two vigilants of Stendarr and they helped him while he fired arrows from a far. Now these vigilants aren't paladins, they're old women in robes!

So when it was nearly dead, THEN he ran in and punched it to death. Success...?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
CrocMother said:

For the first run through, progress more or less along the main quest. A few side-missions that are presented to you, but otherwise nothing else.
When you beat the main quest, you will have a better idea of whether this character is the one you want to explore and really role play with.
If you want to change character, it is as simple as starting a new game. All the dungeons and ruins are there for you to conquer regardless.
This style essentially treats the main quest as an extended tutorial on the world of Skyrim, allowing you to better understand what exactly you want your character to be.
I could never do this. I see my first playthrough as a grand adventure, taking in everything in the world for the first time. Everything is new, and I wouldn't ever want to ruin this "first playthrough" feeling. First playthrough is always my longest/best/favorite.

Solo

keltickennedy said:
preload is around 6GB....Does this surprise anyone else?

Kind of. The Witcher 2 is a much smaller game by all accounts and yet its download was three times larger than Skyrim.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
keltickennedy said:
preload is around 6GB....Does this surprise anyone else?

Is it so hard to create high res assets for PC and do a nice job of downsampling said textures for consoles? Seems like Bethesda have relegated the mod community to make the game good enough for PC usage.

cackhyena

bengraven said:
Weak!

The guy seemed to lure it towards two vigilants of Stendarr and they helped him while he fired arrows from a far. Now these vigilants aren't paladins, they're old women in robes!

So when it was nearly dead, THEN he ran in and punched it to death. Success...?
No success. No pulling punches on nothing but punches.

Crazetex

CrocMother said:

I might do this. After watching a few streams, I'm actually really interested in the main storyline. I'll probably focus on the main quest and the Stormcloaks, juggling the two lines.

Arment

BlueTsunami said:
Is it so hard to create high res assets for PC and do a nice job of downsampling said textures for consoles? Seems like Bethesda have relegated the mod community to make the game good enough for PC usage.

The mod community, saviors of the PC experience.

Solo

Derrick01 said:
Your obsession with that game is bordering on disturbing.

Your obsession with my obsessions IS disturbing! Also, it was a straight RPG A file size vs RPG B filesize comparison.

Also, its GOTY, so why can't a man be obsessed? :p

Expected but still kinda interesting, the assets for Skyrim are laid out exactly like they are in Oblivion/Fallout 3/Fallout: New Vegas, in .BSA packages. I'm guessing you could probably open them up and see what's inside with the Fallout Mod Manager, just like you would anything else.

Of course, I don't wanna know what's in them yet because I'd like to be surprised at what I find in-game, but that means it'll probably be same old, same old for modders and easy to get going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom