• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Well since I'm getting the game for my birthday and I had 7.50 in amazon credit I ended up ordering the collector's edition strategy guide for 16 bucks.

Not bad for getting everything.

Wallach

Have you guys seen any 1080p footage of this game, at least among the official media? The only one I can find that they released is the "Sound of Skyrim" video, which has a fair amount of actual game clips in it. Everything else seems to be 720p.

water_wendi said:
I think it could run it on low, but I doubt it could run Skyrim at medium/high. I have the R1 version which is the first generation M11x aka slowest version. If I could run the game really well on medium I would definitely switch my preorder to the PC version. Medium on PC probably looks just as good or better than the 360 version.

Esch

Banned
Darkman M said:
Any reason for me to not cancel my amazon Skyrim order and just go with Steam? I have never bought a new release on steam.
This is the first retail game i've ever DD'd. It's a little terrifying to spend 60$ on something intangible, but there you go.

Wanace

Oh yeah, pre-load! Unfortunately my internet is shit, but fortunately the pre-load started far enough in advance that I won't miss any playtime.

Friday can't come soon enough! Too bad I have to wake up at 6:30 am to go to work Friday. At least I have a half-day and Monday off.

EschatonDX said:
This is the first retail game i've ever DD'd. It's a little terrifying to spend 60$ on something intangible, but there you go.

i buy all pc games DD and i would for console games if they offered new releases on day 1 as DD. can't fucking stand owning the disk and packaging

g23

European pre-madonna
So PS3 or 360? I put the preorder down for the ps3, but I know bethesda has a history of shady ps3 ports.

Payday is next monday.. why god why?

Gonna camp out on my buddy's couch trying to get a little play time while he's asleep I guess.

Loxley

The word-of-mouth this game has is insane, pretty much everyone I know who cares at all about vidoe games is talking about it. Many of them are Battlefield/CoD players as well, which is even more surprising. They all have said practically the same thing "Yeah, MW3 is gonna kick ass. But dude...fucking Skyrim".

CrazyDude

Loxley said:
The word-of-mouth this game has is insane, pretty much everyone I know who cares at all about vidoe games is talking about it. Many of them are Battlefield/CoD players as well, which is even more surprising. They all have said practically the same thing "Yeah, MW3 is gonna kick ass. But dude...fucking Skyrim".
Same here, I have over heard people sitting behind me at my class talk about skyrim.

CrazyDude

-GOUKI- said:
my local eb games has the game but says they aren't allowed to sell it.

>: O
GTA_IV_bank.jpg

Lets do this!

Derrick01

Banned
Loxley said:

Despite Bethesda's attempts at heavy streamlining for each of their games I still have no clue how they all sell 5+ million. It just doesn't strike me as the games that will appeal to casuals but they do somehow. Bethesda games and assassin's creed are the two with such huge success that I cannot explain at all.

Maaseru

Banned
So help me here guys, at launch(not counting future mods or PC improvements which I will play later too):

PC
Better performance overall, graphics specially, maybe
Small monitor 23'', but 3d capable.

Xbox360
Bigger screen, 42'''
Comfy couch

Both played with xbox360 controller.

Which one should I choose? Is the PC gonna be that much better at launch?

Hell what about ps3 vs xbox360 vs PC which is better overall at launch?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Derrick01 said:
Despite Bethesda's attempts at heavy streamlining for each of their games I still have no clue how they all sell 5+ million. It just doesn't strike me as the games that will appeal to casuals but they do somehow. Bethesda games and assassin's creed are the two with such huge success that I cannot explain at all.

I don't see how it's so surprising really. The games are incredibly fun, deep, and a ridiculous value. Anyone with the most cursory interest in RPGs should enjoy it.

NBtoaster

Maaseru said:
So help me here guys, at launch(not counting future mods or PC improvements which I will play later too):

PC

Xbox360
Bigger screen, 42'''
Comfy couch

Connect pc to bigger screen. Win-win.

Derrick01

Banned
Emerson said:
I don't see how it's so surprising really. The games are incredibly fun, deep, and a ridiculous value. Anyone with the most cursory interest in RPGs should enjoy it.

That's precisely why I don't understand how they sell so good. Most good games don't sell 5 million especially rpgs. I'm in the same boat though, all the casuals I know are talking about it too and did the same with Oblivion/Fallout 3. I'm not mad about it or anything, it just baffles me. I'll try to show off other great games and basically I get a "yawn let's play BC2 or COD". Most western gamers must have an itch for exploration that I never knew about.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Derrick01 said:
Assassin's Creed has ludicriously good (and spends a ludicrous amount on) marketing. Bethesda games work really well on word of mouth- their sales carry on way after release from people seeing friends playing, getting hooked, and buying their own copies.

Skyrim seems to have awesome marketing as well, so I expect pretty killer sales.

Anyone else worried the preload is only 5.8 gigs ?

Seems kinda small for such a wealth of content. Isn't this the exact size as the console versions ? Doesn't the higher res textures on the pc version take up more space?

Derrick01

Banned
gibon3z said:
Anyone else worried the preload is only 5.8 gigs ?

Seems kinda small for such a wealth of content. Isn't this the exact size as the console versions ? Doesn't the higher res textures on the pc version take up more space?

We're not getting higher res textures. They'll be marginally better at most until the modders kick in.

Derrick01 said:

I'm the first person to say the absolute worst things I can think of in sweeping generalizations of the entire awful, stupid, sad, lonely, pitiful, petty gaming community, but they have shown time and time again that they are not afraid of complexity or player agency if it's tied to big production values('AAA' games, ugh I hate that term).

Darkman M

Maaseru said:

PC

Xbox360
Bigger screen, 42'''
Comfy couch

52 Inches, comfy couch, PC

KingK

Emerson said:

That's the thing though, I know a lot of people who have no interest in RPGs, or even fantasy usually, who absolutely love Bethesda games. There's tons of people I know who generally only buy the yearly CoD and Madden games plus GTA who have loved Oblivion and Fallout 3. I can't explain it at all. It just does not seem like the type of game most of these people would usually enjoy, but they eat 'em up.

Tapiozona

Banned
Kinda been out of the gaming loop for the past year or two and only recently heard and been hyping myself for Skyrim but I have a couple questions I haven't seen answers for...

1) Will the enemy difficulty scale like it did in Oblivion. You know, no matter how big and awesome I got, everything I faught also got almost as big and awesome?

2) How long is the game supposed to take to finish with the main story arc? Not sure if this can be answered but I thought I saw some people in this thread who are playing it at the moment.

ajf009

Loxley said:

I've seen girls posting on Facebook to each other saying they won't be talking with their guys much because of Skyrim haha. One girl goes, 'yeah that call of duty game is coming out, so this week is going to suck'. Another answers, 'well that Skyrim is the one I'm worried about'

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
KingK said:
That's the thing though, I know a lot of people who have no interest in RPGs, or even fantasy usually, who absolutely love Bethesda games. There's tons of people I know who generally only buy the yearly CoD and Madden games plus GTA who have loved Oblivion and Fallout 3. I can't explain it at all. It just does not seem like the type of game most of these people would usually enjoy, but they eat 'em up.

Yeah, I see the point there. I dunno, maybe they're just really that good. I sure think they are.

Maaseru

Banned
Dizzy-4U said:
Can't you buy like a long HDMI cable to connect your pc to the 42'' tv?

oh yeah!!! But still gonna have to move the PC from one room to the other(big rig) and my TV is an old Vizio model just 720p, so it would look as good as xbox360?( Is that a fair assessment? )

Tha'ts why I'm pondering buying for xbox360...

Also I've stopped myself getting the Steam version because I like physical stuff, so I want the game in its box even if it's for PC (Do any online retailers give you a key plus send you the box later, is that even possible?)

KingK

Tapiozona said:
Kinda been out of the gaming loop for the past year or two and only recently heard and been hyping myself for Skyrim but I have a couple questions I haven't seen answers for...

1) Will the enemy difficulty scale like it did in Oblivion. You know, no matter how big and awesome I got, everything I faught also got almost as big and awesome?

2) How long is the game supposed to take to finish with the main story arc? Not sure if this can be answered but I thought I saw some people in this thread who are playing it at the moment.

1.) The level scaling is different from Oblivion, and more like Fallout 3 I believe. Basically, every area has an enemy level range (for example, 11-15), and once you enter an area for the first time, the level of the enemies will be whatever in that range is closest to your level (for the previous example, if you were level 9, it would scale the enemies to be level 11). That level that it sets is then permanent in that area for the rest of the game. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

2.) I've heard the main quest is something like 30 hours, of course it will vary widely by player.

Derrick01 said:
We're not getting higher res textures. They'll be marginally better at most until the modders kick in.

What seriously .....

Sigh I should have just waited on buying it until some high res texture packs were out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom