• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDude

Tapiozona said:
Kinda been out of the gaming loop for the past year or two and only recently heard and been hyping myself for Skyrim but I have a couple questions I haven't seen answers for...

1) Will the enemy difficulty scale like it did in Oblivion. You know, no matter how big and awesome I got, everything I faught also got almost as big and awesome?

2) How long is the game supposed to take to finish with the main story arc? Not sure if this can be answered but I thought I saw some people in this thread who are playing it at the moment.
1. I think it's suppose to be more like Fallout 3, but I am not entirely sure.

Maaseru said:
So help me here guys, at launch(not counting future mods or PC improvements which I will play later too):
PC

If you're worried about the TV just plug your PC into the TV. Your Xbox controller works on it as well. The only reason this would be an issue is if "your PC" is a desktop that you share with your mom or something. I honestly can't come up with a scenario where you'd want to choose the Xbox version of a Bethesda RPG if your PC is capable of running it.

oh yeah!!! But still gonna have to move the PC from one room to the other(big rig) and my TV is an old Vizio model just 720p, so it would look as good as xbox360?( Is that a fair assessment? )
If you have a shitty TV just play it on your monitor, does the actual size really matter to you when you're sitting further back anyways? If so, you're PC isn't too big to carry to another room in your house, I'm sure of it... two cords - Power and HDMI cable (plus maybe a mouse so you can open the game
where the fuck is Steam's Big Screen Mode? :((
)

Derrick01

Banned
CrazyDude said:
1. I think it's suppose to be more like Fallout 3, but I am not entirely sure.

it is. Each dungeon has a specific level range and if you're in the middle of that range, the dungeon will be at your level and stay at that level for the rest of the game.

So when you go back to it at level 50 you won't have any competition in there if you first entered at 14.

abundant

Here are 11 out of the 13 Standing Stones aka Skyrim's Birthsigns.

The Mage - Those under the sign of the Mage will learn all magic skills 20% faster.
The Thief - Those under the sign of the Thief will learn all stealth skills 20% faster.
The Warrior - Those under the sign of the Warrior will learn all combat skills 20% faster.
The Lover - Lets you learn all skills a little faster, but not as much as the Thief, Warrior and Mage stones.
The Apprentice - Doubles your Magicka and Magicka Regeneration Speed, but makes you twice as susceptible to spells.
The Atronach - Bonus to magicka pool and magicka absorption but reduces magicka regeneration. (don't know amounts)
The Serpent - Ability to paralyze enemies for 5 seconds.
The Shadow - Allows you to cast an Invisibility spell once per day.
The Ritual - Allows you to reanimate a corpse once a day for 60 seconds.
The Steed - Lets you carry more, and your equipped armour doesn't slow you down.
The Tower - Gives you the ability to unlock expert or lower locks automatically. (I'm thinking this is a once per day power)

Hyphen

Any UK GAF going to the midnight launch at the London 'Game' in Oxford Street? Never in my life have I been to something like this, but I've been looking forward to this game for some time, and the little goodies seem like cool bonuses. However, the man flu that I've been suddenly afflicted with is telling me to stay in bed, and simply go my usual route of online ordering. But as soon as my nephew caught wind of the midnight launch details his eyes lit up, and now all he's thinking about is how excited he is that I can take him. I don't have the heart to disappoint him and not go, and there's no way in hell I'm letting him go on his own. So, I guess I'm going...

Any idea what I should expect? Should I get there early just incase there is a queue of eager gamers? Surely there won't be too many people out this late to buy a game!?!? Or am I underestimating the power of Skyrim and the commitment of Elder Scrolls fans?

Drewfonse said:
I'm confused. According to this article

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/skyrim-on-the-xbox-360-is-low-res-without-an-install

The game is low res WITHOUT an install, but improves when the game is installed. Isn't that the exact opposite of what was being claimed in this forum yesterday. Sorry if old.
Looks like they just updated it saying that low textures occur WITH an install. So we're back to square one again.

Also this article looks like another classic case of GAF>Internet>GAF.

abundant said:

The 3 main stones that were seen in the 3 part demo are the only ones that are together, the rest of them are scattered individually throughout the world?

Maaseru

Banned
Houston3000 said:
PC

If you're worried about the TV just plug your PC into the TV. Your Xbox controller works on it as well. The only reason this would be an issue is if "your PC" is a desktop that you share with your mom or something. I honestly can't come up with a scenario where you'd want to choose the Xbox version of a Bethesda RPG if your PC is capable of running it.

If you have a shitty TV just play it on your monitor, does the actual size really matter to you when you're sitting further back anyways? If so, you're PC isn't too big to carry to another room in your house, I'm sure of it... two cords - Power and HDMI cable (plus maybe a mouse so you can open the game
where the fuck is Steam's Big Screen Mode? :((
)

Yeah probably just gonna go with PC anyways. I just lazy I guess lol, plus I use my PC alot for other games, school editing and stuff and moving it to my living room would either suck or suck me in deep :D I guess I'll just PC it and move around the monitor and TV to see which fits best.

Also do any retailers sells you the key + send you the game afterwards? is that even done? I just want a retail, physical copy of the game. IF not then GS midnight launch if there is one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
abundant said:

The Mage - Those under the sign of the Mage will learn all magic skills 20% faster.
The Thief - Those under the sign of the Thief will learn all stealth skills 20% faster.
The Warrior - Those under the sign of the Warrior will learn all combat skills 20% faster.
The Lover - Lets you learn all skills a little faster, but not as much as the Thief, Warrior and Mage stones.
The Apprentice - Doubles your Magicka and Magicka Regeneration Speed, but makes you twice as susceptible to spells.
The Atronach - Bonus to magicka pool and magicka absorption but reduces magicka regeneration. (don't know amounts)
The Steed - Lets you carry more, and your equipped armour doesn't slow you down.
The Tower - Gives you the ability to unlock expert or lower locks automatically. (I'm thinking this is a once per day power)
aw hell yeah.

Wanace

I like the ability to change birthsigns by visiting a stone. Works well depending on what your immediate goals are. Working on your magic skills, pop on The Mage. Want to unlock that lock you can't quite pick yet? Get the Tower.

mlarine said:
This game eerily reminds me of exploring northrend when WOTLK came out, anyone else?
Yep. Northrend was beautiful, dangerous, ginormous and I spent weeks exploring it.

I'm thinking Skyrim will be no less amazing.

Card Boy

Banned
Not getting the game at launch (waiting for a GOTY edition in a years time) but i would like to thank the OP for keeping OT at 1 post instead of the 15 post messes we seen in other OT's.

bowery

The Lamonster said:
Yep. Northrend was beautiful, dangerous, ginormous and I spent weeks exploring it.

I'm thinking Skyrim will be no less amazing.

I feel like they even borrowed some ideas from Blizzard in terms of varying the environments around instead of one large, snowy, landscape like Northrend is pictured to be. The art also reminds me a lot of Vyrkuls in WOTLK and a lot of their architecture in Storm Peak/Howling Fjord/Icecrown/Grizzly Hills. In fact the zones themselves look similar to footage ive seen in Skyrim.

Cant help but feel they borrowed some art direction from WOTLK, with the Vyrkul, Proto-drake culture.

Vrykul.jpg

vrykulladies.jpg

Enslaved_Proto-Drake.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
felipepl said:
Is it just me or the game is going to be released one day earlier on Steam?

Nope it says 2 days exactly for me, so midnight Friday on time.

Also about the Northrend thing, I agree it was amazing and exploring that land is still one of my favorite gaming experiences. It's a shame about Cata though :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wallach said:
As a mage I just cast... uhhhhh ghostwalk or something.
I'm going to be an assassin... but I really dug the idea of the Nightblade class in Oblivion, and chose that. Maybe I can get that spell and another sign would do me better...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man I can't wait for Sunday. I got a $50 coupon from Kmart today for purchasing two games, so come Sunday I'll be picking up Skyrim for a cool $10. Ohhhh yeahhhhh.

careksims

Oh man still pre-loading.... I'm going to spend some hours just trying to create a good face and then choosing what class to play. So exciting!

Do the books just have random stories and backstories or do some of them actually lead to quests or unique things you can find in the game?

Gravijah

abundant said:

you have to activate these in the world, right?

Aon

bigboss370 said:
Do the books just have random stories and backstories or do some of them actually lead to quests or unique things you can find in the game?

Some people were talking about quests and stat gains is definitely still in.

Fjordson

K2Valor said:
When do you guys think Amazon is gonna start shipping it out?
Probably early Thursday.

Pretty much get all my games from Amazon with release-date delivery. When they're getting it to me on a Tuesday I usually get the "shipped" email Monday morning.

Rapture

mlarine said:
I feel like they even borrowed some ideas from Blizzard in terms of varying the environments around instead of one large, snowy, landscape like Northrend is pictured to be. The art also reminds me a lot of Vyrkuls in WOTLK and a lot of their architecture in Storm Peak/Howling Fjord/Icecrown/Grizzly Hills. In fact the zones themselves look similar to footage ive seen in Skyrim.

Cant help but feel they borrowed some art direction from WOTLK, with the Vyrkul, Proto-drake culture.

Well to be fair they are both based on Norse/Viking culture, to say that the Blizzard art team came up with all those designs off the top of their head would be giving them to much credit in my opinion.

Qatar

I went to Kmart today to pick up MW3, while I was up to pay for it, I saw a huge pile of Skyrim for both Xbox & PS3. I asked him if I could get it, he said "for some reason the system doesn't let me sell it. I knew they won't let me buy it but I just asked anyways

Mrbob

Is the map worth anything? Now that preload is up I'm thinking about just buying the game on Steam. The main reason for me to get the retail package is for the map.

Einbroch

Banned
Okay, just got to a part that is seriously not fun at all. Companions are garbage and going stealth is not an option.

Remember in Deus Ex when you built your character around stealth and then you had those boss fights where you couldn't use stealth? Yeah. It's like that.

Sadface.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ichor said:
Preloading is complete. Now I am sad.

Just to clarify, preloading this means that at midnight Thursday/Friday, the game unlocks and can be played immediately, yes? Also, what time does it unlock? 12 PST or something, or is it timezone based?

Cetra

Einbroch said:
Okay, just got to a part that is seriously not fun at all. Companions are garbage and going stealth is not an option.

Remember in Deus Ex when you built your character around stealth and then you had those boss fights where you couldn't use stealth? Yeah. It's like that.

Sadface.
Oh that's a shame. I always play stealth characters in Scrolls games. =\

Fou-Lu

nicoga3000 said:
Just to clarify, preloading this means that at midnight Thursday/Friday, the game unlocks and can be played immediately, yes? Also, what time does it unlock? 12 PST or something, or is it timezone based?

Yes that's what it means. My steam account says 9pm PST on Thursday so I'm assuming it's 12am EST.

Loxley said:
Yeah, I've got the hardcover CE pre-ordered but it won't get here until Monday >< My favorite part was at checkout when it gave me my shipping options:

~ FREE Two-Day Shipping - Get it Monday, November 14th!

or

~ $3.99 One-Day Shipping - Get it Monday, November 14th!

><
same, i contacted support via chat, and all I got was "they can't guarantee release date delivery so it's not an option"

to which i responded "is it a possibility?"

amazon "can't guarantee that either"

The shipping is the only reason I have Prime, I could care less about their crappy video streaming service

Aptos

nicoga3000 said:

You'll have to decrypt the data first. Depending on your system that can take as little as 10 minutes, but could take more if you've got a bummer of a cpu.

I Don't understand why people with capable PC's don't just pick up an HDMI cable and 360 controller... Honestly it's worth it for this game to play on a Nice plasma screen etc... And the investment would let you play every single game you want for PC but also want to play on a Television...

I bought a fifteen foot HDMI cable for fifteen dollars off newegg.com a while back and played the Witcher 2 on my spankin new plasma screen... I'll never go back... Now my decisions in times like these are very easy... I will buy the PC version.. experience all the great mods and conversions down the road... and play with my ass seated on a very comfy couch...

The fifteen dollar investment has really been worth it... Why don't more people do this?? Lord knows.

P.S. ... It also makes the whole Girlfriend situation alot easier as well.. as she is usually interested in my games and this way she can make some popcorn and relax with me.. instead of hunkering down next to me on a PC monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom