• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny2Bags said:
I Don't understand why people with capable PC's don't just pick up an HDMI cable and 360 controller... Honestly it's worth it for this game to play on a Nice plasma screen etc... And the investment would let you play every single game you want for PC but also want to play on a Television...

I bought a fifteen foot HDMI cable for fifteen dollars off newegg.com a while back and played the Witcher 2 on my spankin new plasma screen... I'll never go back... Now my decisions in times like these are very easy... I will buy the PC version.. experience all the great mods and conversions down the road... and play with my ass seated on a very comfy couch...

The fifteen dollar investment has really been worth it... Why don't more people do this?? Lord knows.

P.S. ... It also makes the whole Girlfriend situation alot easier as well.. as she is usually interested in my games and this way she can make some popcorn and relax with me.. instead of hunkering down next to me on a PC monitor...

Witcher 2 was more fun for me playing with keyboard and mouse as opposed to a 360 controller. I have a monitor which I can play games on just fine and a very comfy chair. I understand why people would play on a 360 controller + tv, but the PC experience on an actual PC is better for me.

To add to my above post... I keep my DVI plugged in to my 23 inch monitor for every day use... i also keep my HDMI plugged into my Plasma on Video 3 or whatever... when i want to play i just unplug one and plug in the other.. whallah!! ... and vice versa... It's really not an ordeal at all..

Best investment i've made all year was that little Cable...

FallingEdge said:
Witcher 2 was more fun for me playing with keyboard and mouse as opposed to a 360 controller. I have a monitor which I can play games on just fine and a very comfy chair. I understand why people would play on a 360 controller + tv, but the PC experience on an actual PC is better for me.

That's Fine by me!! I love gaming on the P.C. ... I play total war (obviously) and games like it that require mouse on my screen... I even played witcher 2 for a while with the mouse and keyboard on my plasma before i realized that it was so well optimized for use with a controller...

I'm sure you can agree that my point is valid... I was addressing the myriad of forum goers who say they are undecided between PC or 360... and they don't want to miss the mods or anything... blah blah blah.. and yet they still can't decide (for some ungodly reason?)....

This solves their problem... and I still play games on the PC properly as well haha... diablo 2, Deus Ex HR ... basically anything that isn't prepared to properly convert the controls in a jiffy to a controller pad....

EDIT : Sorry for the double post~~!! I thought someone else posted below me =*( Sincerest apologies.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The reason I don't is because it's a pain in the ass getting it working. Launch on pc monitor move screen over to tv monitor change sound card settings so music comes out of hdmi squint like hell when text appears thAn run back to pc when Skype receives a call or message closing out game window.

It's not easy unless you just have a pc connected to the tv normally for some of us gaming from a console is more convienent. hell I use Olive for all my PC gaming anymore it's even more convienent than any console.

STEAM where is BIG PICTURE MODE???????

Aptos

Dorfdad said:
The reason I don't is because it's a pain in the ass getting it working. Launch on pc monitor move screen over to tv monitor change sound card settings so music comes out of hdmi squint like hell when text appears thAn run back to pc when Skype receives a call or message closing out game window.

It's not easy unless you just have a pc connected to the tv normally for some of us gaming from a console is more convienent. hell I use Olive for all my PC gaming anymore it's even more convienent than any console.

If you have AMD/ATI you can use their preset manager thing built in to CCC to create profiles that you can easily switch between with hotkeys. I have a standard 2 monitor setup for development/standard use, a 1 monitor setup with over clocking and 50% fan speed, and a TV setup that I can switch between with Ctrl + [f1-f3].

I bet there's a similar feature for NVidia users.

Dorfdad said:

I guess i can see that for some people... when I game on my television however, that is all i'm doing... not skypeing or anything of that nature.. and yeah just like you i usually launch the game first... Maybe i've just had the best of luck, but i've had absolutely no problems so far...

This also allows me to watch HD and Blue ray content in 1080P without purchasing a standalone player...

PS.. THANKS APTOS!!! FOR SOME REASON I DIDN'T even think of that... haha wow.. i'm setting it up myself right now in CCC... can i leave them both plugged in??

Aptos

Johnny2Bags said:
PS.. THANKS APTOS!!! FOR SOME REASON I DIDN'T even think of that... haha wow.. i'm setting it up myself right now in CCC... can i leave them both plugged in??

Yes, I have all 3 plugged in: two monitors, and HDMI to TV.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Johnny2Bags said:
I Don't understand why people with capable PC's don't just pick up an HDMI cable and 360 controller... Honestly it's worth it for this game to play on a Nice plasma screen etc... And the investment would let you play every single game you want for PC but also want to play on a Television...

I bought a fifteen foot HDMI cable for fifteen dollars off newegg.com a while back and played the Witcher 2 on my spankin new plasma screen... I'll never go back... Now my decisions in times like these are very easy... I will buy the PC version.. experience all the great mods and conversions down the road... and play with my ass seated on a very comfy couch...

The fifteen dollar investment has really been worth it... Why don't more people do this?? Lord knows.

P.S. ... It also makes the whole Girlfriend situation alot easier as well.. as she is usually interested in my games and this way she can make some popcorn and relax with me.. instead of hunkering down next to me on a PC monitor...

I do it with a 20'' cord and a 1080p projector which I actually have in my bedroom, due to it being the only room with a big enough wall. 103'' screen. But I haven't been able to use a controller so far. Somebody in this thread suggested a Xbox 360 wireless adapter which I ordered but hasn't come yet.

Seth C

Johnny2Bags said:

First, my PC is not in the same room as my TV. It's in my office. I would need a 50 ft. HDMI cable. Good luck with that. My stereo system, while perfectly cable of everything I need, doesn't support HDMI. Now I'd also need a 50 ft. optical audio cable (not happening). So I could buy a new stereo just so I could play Skyrim on my TV or I can just play it on the 360. By the time there are mods I care about I have a feeling I could catch Skyrim on Steam for $10.

Aptos said:
Yes, I have all 3 plugged in: two monitors, and HDMI to TV.

Check your PM's I would really appreciate a step by step how to do this at my home... myself and my g/f will be indebted to you my friend... I can't seem to figure it out in CCC

Seth C said:
First, my PC is not in the same room as my TV. It's in my office. I would need a 50 ft. HDMI cable. Good luck with that. My stereo system, while perfectly cable of everything I need, doesn't support HDMI. Now I'd also need a 50 ft. optical audio cable (not happening). So I could buy a new stereo just so I could play Skyrim on my TV or I can just play it on the 360. By the time there are mods I care about I have a feeling I could catch Skyrim on Steam for $10.

Haha, well no offense intended buddy, I just was trying to help people out who are in my situation with both mediums residing in the same room... and I split my audio out to my surround sound in the same room as well, which is just a quick switch on the reciever...

Clearly your layout does not allow for this amazing and rewarding setup... No worries !

This was (as stated) intended for those myriads of people who post in this thread with setups similar to mine... The investment is cheap and rewarding as far as i am concerned... obviously i understand your inability due to space and distance etc..

Just to satisfy my curiosity the 50 ft. cable is sitting at 41 bucks... I don't however suggest you change your stance, it sounds like a huge headache.

For the record I played oblivion on the 360 for the same reasons as you, and I loved it just the same... just stating that i'm a changed man

zethren

Banned
GasProblem said:
I'm going to spent a ridicilous amount of time staring at the character creation screen asking myself what I want for the first playthrough.

I know, I generally play as a Dark Elf but this time I think I'm rolling with a Nord. Just feels right. Gonna bash some skulls in, first playthrough. Second playthrough will be a sneaky sneaky Dark Elf Archer/Assassin.

Seth C

Johnny2Bags said:
Haha, well no offense intended buddy, I just was trying to help people out who are in my situation with both mediums residing in the same room... and I split my audio out to my surround sound in the same room as well, which is just a quick switch on the reciever...

Clearly your layout does not allow for this amazing and rewarding setup... No worries !

This was (as stated) intended for those myriads of people who post in this thread with setups similar to mine... The investment is cheap and rewarding as far as i am concerned... obviously i understand your inability due to space and distance etc..

I just don't want my PC in the same room as my main TV. I use it primarily for video and photo editing (and storage of all my media which I stream to my devices). I've had a PC hooked up to the TV before and didn't get much use out of it for gaming anyway. I'd rather just play Skyim on the 360 even if my PC was hooked up to the 50". There is a very specific convenience to it.

Seth C said:
I just don't want my PC in the same room as my main TV. I use it primarily for video and photo editing (and storage of all my media which I stream to my devices). I've had a PC hooked up to the TV before and didn't get much use out of it for gaming anyway. I'd rather just play Skyim on the 360 even if my PC was hooked up to the 50". There is a very specific convenience to it.

It's cool man, sounds like you have a very nice setup anyways and will enjoy the game in all it's glory! By the way how did you set up your streaming??? just curious I'm always looking to add some shortcuts to my setup..

GeoramA

zethren said:
I know, I generally play as a Dark Elf but this time I think I'm rolling with a Nord. Just feels right. Gonna bash some skulls in, first playthrough. Second playthrough will be a sneaky sneaky Dark Elf Archer/Assassin.
I'll be going from a Dark Elf in Oblivion to probably a Nord as well. Or an Orc...definitely a warrior race.

Second playthrough, Argonian probably.

Neverfade

The Hardcover guide on Amazon says "Get it day of release! Monday November 14th, 2011". Release date is also the 11th, though.

Anyone else seeing this? Bah.

Seth C

Johnny2Bags said:
It's cool man, sounds like you have a very nice setup anyways and will enjoy the game in all it's glory! By the way how did you set up your streaming??? just curious I'm always looking to add some shortcuts to my setup..

Ah, my setup is okay. I always want to upgrade! I use my 360 as the streaming device in the living room, and with Windows 7 that's pretty easy. I just use Media Center with Media Browser. It plays everything but DTS tracks (you can encode an additional Dolby Digital track). Everywhere else I stream to my iPad using Air Video, which will live stream absolutely anything.

Dorfdad said:

huh? I have my video card plugged into my TV via HDMI.
When I want to play a game on my TV in the other room, this is why I do:

Turn on TV
Switch to the HDMI input.
press windows+P on my computer, and select Projector only. This swaps the screen over to the TV.
Play. The audio is automatic swapped over(because its HDMI)

text heavy games, yeah I agree the interface could use a big screen mode, but with a 1080p TV it's legible.

legbone

Fjordson said:
Can't stop watching the trailer Bethesda put out today. Has a very cool vibe to it.

this is the one i would like a link to.

edit: thanks ghaleon. hadn't seen that one. great vid.

Lakitu

st5fu
Einbroch said:
Okay, just got to a part that is seriously not fun at all. Companions are garbage and going stealth is not an option.

Remember in Deus Ex when you built your character around stealth and then you had those boss fights where you couldn't use stealth? Yeah. It's like that.

Sadface.

That is disappointing. But companions always blow stealth for you in Bethesda games. My New Vegas character was primarily a stealth character to get a shit ton of sneak criticals. Whenever I had a companion, they would blow it for me so most of the time I would be on my lonesome. Sounds like the same here.

Luthos

Here we are, a couple days away, and I'm still not sure what type of character I want to be first. It's between a warrior/paladin, and a pure mage.

I love mages, but it's usually a toss-up if games do them good. But magic looks so much more fun in Skyrim, and there are some cool looking robes. In that World of Skyrim trailer, the old mage in the snow has a really sweet looking robe. (looking good is important to me as a mage, lol.) But as a mage, I'd miss out on all the sweet armors/weapons.

Atruvius

VPD hasn't sent my copy yet which means there's no way I'm getting it on release. :I Well, I'm off to cut my wrists.
Don't worry, I won't :D

Lakitu

st5fu
Luthos said:
Here we are, a couple days away, and I'm still not sure what type of character I want to be first. It's between a warrior/paladin, and a pure mage.

I love mages, but it's usually a toss-up if games do them good. But magic looks so much more fun in Skyrim, and there are some cool looking robes. In that World of Skyrim trailer, the old mage in the snow has a really sweet looking robe. (looking good is important to me as a mage, lol.)

Yeah, I'm still undecided. I want to be everything, I want to be a mage, I want to be an archer, I wanted to be a warrior who loves two handed weapons like claymores and axes, I want to be an assassin, I want to be part mage / part archer / part stealth and...

Chances are I won't decide until I get into the game and start leveling up my skills.

Just got a really awesome new shout called
'Stormcall' which summons a massive storm and strikes enemies with lightning bolts. It's pretty epic watching the weather turn from bright blue morning skies to dark, foreboding skies full of torrential rain, with lightning bolts striking down in front of you. Takes a long while to recharge though.

Antagon

I've started out as a pure mage. Was planning to go for more of a nightblade character, but the fire spell you start out with is ridiculously good.

The spells I've got now are quite cool and definitely useful. There also seems to be a lot more mage centric equipment around this time. Definitely recommend trying it, its very viable from what I've seen.

Mastperf

Lakitu said:
Yeah, I'm still undecided. I want to be everything, I want to be a mage, I want to be an archer, I wanted to be a warrior who loves two handed weapons like claymores and axes, I want to be an assassin, I want to be part mage / part archer / part stealth and...

Chances are I won't decide until I get into the game and start leveling up my skills.
I think we should all expect to start over quite a few times before settling into a character we're comfortable with.

Fjordson

GhaleonEB said:
Uploaded by IGNentertainment on Feb 24, 2011

Yes, yes we have. :p

I assume he was referring to this one, which is indeed awesome. That music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwMqpaDpaFU
Yeah, Ghaleon's link is the one I meant.

I just love the tone, I don't know. Especially the "I would gladly retire from the world". Guy looks bad ass. Still want to know who that is (guessing the leader of the Stormcloaks).

Also, that 3 seconds of Khajiit is making me want to roll one. Love the voice acting.

Ashodin

Fjordson said:
Yeah, Ghaleon's link is the one I meant.

I just love the tone, I don't know. Especially the "I would gladly retire from the world". Guy looks bad ass. Still want to know who that is (guessing the leader of the Stormcloaks).

Also, that 3 seconds of Khajiit is making me want to roll one. Love the voice acting.
I have to say, the characters, the races, EVERYTHING oozes more definition, more characterization, more thought put into every word, every nuance, every happenstance. Miles and leagues beyond Oblivion when watching just that one trailer.

The architecture, finally no fucking lock in camera and zoom while talking (makes for much more cinematic conversations), the characters looking REAL and not hideously created, the lands of Skyrim as amazing ZONES instead of copypaste rockfests like Oblivion's Cyrodiil, just just.... I'm awed.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Played the game another couple hours tonight. Liking it more than my lukewarm/lightly positive impressions I posted last night. Skyrim is dense.

But man, I hate to harp on it, but... Bethesda really needs to build a new engine from scratch. It's not even really the engine. Just a side effect of HUGE open world games like this. It's disappointing to fight someone in the bar, literally beat them into submission until they are on the ground, then initiate dialogue with them 5 seconds later and have them speak to me like nothing happened.

Skyrim, like Oblivion before it, is full of little moments like that, and little bugs.

The game is at its best when you're just pure dungeon crawling, I think. For the record I've cleared two dungeons, and they were both quite long. But they also both had at least one copy/pasted room.

LEGGZZZZ

This is my first Elder Scrolls game, it boy does it look amazing. Make me even more hyped to see Fallout 4 with all these improvements I'm seeing.

D23

this two days is going to be the worst! i have two big exam on thursday.... but after that HNNNNNNNNNGGG i will lock myself in my room n play skryim for the whole weekend!

Luthos

Antagon said:
I've started out as a pure mage. Was planning to go for more of a nightblade character, but the fire spell you start out with is ridiculously good.

The spells I've got now are quite cool and definitely useful. There also seems to be a lot more mage centric equipment around this time. Definitely recommend trying it, its very viable from what I've seen.
Your mage impressions are making the decision even harder, lol.

If someone could post some pictures of mage outfits on their character, I'd be most grateful. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom