• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antagon

Luthos said:
Your mage impressions are making the decision even harder, lol.

If someone could post some pictures of mage outfits on their character, I'd be most grateful. =D

Not mine, but this is an early outfit:

skyrim_argonian_robes_by_dovahkiin117-d4c4wtc.jpg

Minor spoilers about it:
Gotten in the introduction dungeon.
Robes: Generate magicka 50% faster.
Hood: +30 magicka.
Almost forgot: Neither of them have any defense. So defense spells will come in handy, which use a lot of magicka. It's a nice trade off.

Rapture

Antagon said:
Minor spoilers about it:
Gotten in the introduction dungeon.
Robes: Generate magicka 50% faster.
Hood: +30 magicka.

Ah damn, definitely going to have to start a Magic focused character simultaneously to my main Stealth-based character. They've made magic just too good to pass up this time!

Kwixotik

I am about to explode. Skyrim on Friday, but I can't even play it because I have two papers due (20% of my grade in each of two classes) and a chemistry exam (15% of chem grade) Monday.

Academic failure in exchange for adventure? Might be worth it.

-Mikey-

So, if I get a boxed PC copy could I potential get the cd-key and install it through Steam without ever using the disc?

Kak.efes

Is it possible to play solely as a melee character, a sort of brute, with no magic? I've never played an oblivion game before, so I'm going in blind.

KuroNeeko

Hey all,

Been tossing around the question of which version I should get. I've mostly been a console player up until now but I did enjoy playing Oblivion on the PC (with all those fantastic mods that made the game enjoyable.)

Now with Skyrim, I'm looking to double dip - 360 in the beginning and then upgrading to a GotY pack w/ bundled DLC for the PC. Problem is my computer is getting a little long in the fang. Could you give me an idea of how Skyrim would run on this -

Core i7 920
Quad Core @ 2.66GHz
6GB ram
Radeon HD 4870 - 1GB

I'm not looking to rawk out with all those eye-candy texture packs (mostly because it would probably kill my computer), but would like something that looks better than console at runs at least 30 fps + consistently.

I'd probably go PC from the start except Skyrim doesn't unlock on Steam here until December 8th. :(

Thanks!

Kwixotik said:
I am about to explode. Skyrim on Friday, but I can't even play it because I have two papers due (20% of my grade in each of two classes) and a chemistry exam (15% of chem grade) Monday.

Not worth it!

Too bad you can't fudge a paper on the chemical properties of Skooma or the alchemical benefits of using nightshade over spiddal sticks...

Kwixotik

Kak.efes said:
Is it possible to play solely as a melee character, a sort of brute, with no magic? I've never played an oblivion game before, so I'm going in blind.
Yeah, pretty much. You can be whatever you want. I highly doubt you'll be forced to use magic at any point, unless you count the dragon shouts as magic.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
KuroNeeko said:
Hey all,

Been tossing around the question of which version I should get. I've mostly been a console player up until now but I did enjoy playing Oblivion on the PC (with all those fantastic mods that made the game enjoyable.)

Now with Skyrim, I'm looking to double dip - 360 in the beginning and then upgrading to a GotY pack w/ bundled DLC for the PC. Problem is my computer is getting a little long in the fang. Could you give me an idea of how Skyrim would run on this -

Core i7 920
Quad Core @ 2.66GHz
6GB ram
Radeon HD 4870 - 1GB

I'm not looking to rawk out with all those eye-candy texture packs (mostly because it would probably kill my computer), but would like something that looks better than console at runs at least 30 fps + consistently.

I'd probably go PC from the start except Skyrim doesn't unlock on Steam here until December 8th. :(

Thanks!

Thats a good computer. it will run skyrim fine. The gpu isn't the latest and greatest, but it is still plenty powerful to get the results you are looking for.

koji

Picked up my PC CE yesterday at my local retailer. Shame I can't play it yet though, urgh.

The dragon in the box is actually pretty cool, didn't think I was going to like it this much :)

KuroNeeko said:
...my computer is getting a little long in the fang.

Core i7 920
Quad Core @ 2.66GHz
6GB ram
Radeon HD 4870 - 1GB

I'll be playing this on my X2 3800+ with 2GB of pc3200.

lol you should be fine man.

spekkeh

Banned
I wonder how kb/mouse will work out. I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome just thinking about constantly shifting between your left and right hand during a battle.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Kwixotik said:

Game isn't going anywhere. Just stop reading GAF or coverage on other game sites right now, and pretend like Skyrim's launch date is 11.21.11. I mean... you've waited YEARS for Skyrim... what's a few more days?

Antagon

Kak.efes said:

Outside of maybe some mage guild quests and a couple of other optional, mage related things, everything should be doable without magic. Don't worry, elder scrolls games are all about giving you freedom.

reektann

-Mikey- said:
So, if I get a boxed PC copy could I potential get the cd-key and install it through Steam without ever using the disc?

That's what I always do with retail games that use Steamworks. Primarily because I forgot to order a DVD ROM with my PC build...

spekkeh said:
I wonder how kb/mouse will work out. I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome just thinking about constantly shifting between your left and right hand during a battle.
Isn't it just left mouse button right mouse button?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
-Mikey- said:

Think of the included DVD as a Skyrim themed coaster.

KuroNeeko

Themacabre said:

I'll be playing this on my X2 3800+ with 2GB of pc3200.

lol you should be fine man.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Thats a good computer. it will run skyrim fine. The gpu isn't the latest and greatest, but it is still plenty powerful to get the results you are looking for.

Thanks Brovahkiin!

First Skooma is on me! :D

Is there somewhere I can read up on the world, factions, important events and all that stuff of the location its set in? Always had a passing interest and figured it would be nice to go in with a little knowledge!

D23

Kwixotik said:

me and you both!!

Dead Man

betty swollocks said:
Is there somewhere I can read up on the world, factions, important events and all that stuff of the location its set in? Always had a passing interest and figured it would be nice to go in with a little knowledge!
http://www.uesp.net/ Be careful, spoilers for the previous games are unmarked.

Orgun

Pro tip from the PA guys

i-9HNNHvS-XL.jpg

My copy is on its way, have Friday booked off. Looking forward to vegging out on the couch all day with Skyrim

IMACOMPUTA

From the video I've seen of the spell selection/items etc. It seems to be really controller focused.

Will PC get a different menu style for those things?

Eusis

Oh, yes: Skyrim still provide a solid manual, or no? If even Bethesda's decided to start slimming down there then I'd have no reservations about ordering on D2D and calling it a day.

KuroNeeko said:
So how is it so far? Is it living up to your expectations after 5 years of accumulated hype?
Honestly, at first, it wasn't. The game felt weird. The moment where you stepped outside for the first time was underwhelming at best. I was feeling kinda disappointed...

But then, as the previews said it would, the game just... Opened up. I got used to the new things, and now I can definitely say it lived up to the hype. It's so good.

Eusis said:
Oh, yes: Skyrim still provide a solid manual, or no? If even Bethesda's decided to start slimming down there then I'd have no reservations about ordering on D2D and calling it a day.
It's a thinner manual than say, Oblivion's, but it still has a lot of info.

Twinduct

So the game unlocks 12:01 Am in each local time zone (according to Pete) but the steam counter is saying a different time?

Which one should I believe? I want to take off on Friday, but if I go with Steam's time, it will only unlock Friday night at 6 :<

SteveWD40

Seems like it unlocks midnight on Thursday / Friday AM here in the UK according to Steam...

Looks like I will be a bit sleepy on Friday :D

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
Honestly, at first, it wasn't. The game felt weird. The moment where you stepped outside for the first time was underwhelming at best. I was feeling kinda disappointed...

That's a shame. I loved those moments in Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Darkone said:
is there a difficult level to choose from in the game?
Yeah. The difficulty levels are:

Novice - Apprentice - Adept - Expert - Master

The game seems to default to Master (or at least, my game started off on that difficulty), but I put it on Adept because I didn't like getting my ass kicked when a Draugr so much as sneezed at me. :lol

Antagon

Defaults to adept on the PS3. Might turn it to master though, as it feels a bit easy. But then I have one of the most optimized builds right now you can have, so I guess that helps a lot.

Mutombo

weird question maybe, but for someone who still hasn't played any and would like to get one,

Which one would you recommend: dark souls or skyrim?

I do not have acces to the internet on my xbox, mind you.

Gravijah

Mutombo said:
weird question maybe, but for someone who still hasn't played any and would like to get one,

Which one would you recommend: dark souls or skyrim?

I do not have acces to the internet on my xbox, mind you.

what are you looking for in a game?

Antagon

spekkeh said:
Damn, I love how they got the aesthetics of the mountains, blanketed by clouds and whatnot, so completely right

Yeah, clouds and fog are fantastic in the game. Really adds a lot to the atmosphere. I also like the water. It doesn't really look realistic, but it is beautiful.

Antagon

Blue Ninja said:

But then, as the previews said it would, the game just... Opened up. I got used to the new things, and now I can definitely say it lived up to the hype. It's so good.

It's a thinner manual than say, Oblivion's, but it still has a lot of info.

To me the step outside wasn't too impressive, but when you got to the lake... stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom