• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Datwheezy said:
What weapon configs allow for blocking, other than sword and board?

Any one handed weapon can be used with a shield. Two handed weapons have a block too, but it's not as effective as the shield one. Dual wielders can't block. Mages can use ward spells that serve a similar function to shields.

Tenck

Zeliard said:
Still can't believe they kept the stupidity of guards and merchants magically knowing which items are stolen or not.

This! Oh my god This!!

Luckily I wont let it hamper my experience, but c'mon Bethesda, give me a break :'(

Seanspeed

Banned
DTKT said:
The scaling is brutal.

I might just take a break because it's really frustrating sometimes.
Yea, I'm stopping for a little while to watch some Thursday night TV.

This game has turned into a survival horror game, no joke.

Realyn

Seanspeed said:

Really? Get yourself Ebony or Glass armor/weapon, upgrade them twice, enchant +10 fire dmg or smth on them, repeat for companion > profit.

Zeliard

Haha, loved this bit from the Cracked article:

I have yet to do a single thing in Skyrim in the proper order. I'm constantly showing up to some dude's castle that I've never seen before, only to hand over a mystical item that I'd mentally scratched off as garbage hours ago, and then sit and listen to the story be retroactively explained to me:

King: Wanderer! Thank the gods you've come! The prophecy told us that a mighty warrior would arise, worthy of wielding Fjalnir, the God-axe, and slaying the evil Demon Prince Synraith. We believe you to be that warrior. What say you, traveler? Will you accept this task?

Me: Yea, verily I shall accept thine task and vanq- wait, Synraith? Fiery dude in a floating city? Cape made out of screeching souls? Ahhh, shit. I already killed that guy.

King: You ... already slew the Demon Prince, the Knife in the Dark, the Void at the Heart of All Men, whose identity you did not learn until just now?

Me: Yup. I saw that castle floating up in the sky, and I wanted to know if I could jump up the rocks to get in the back way. It took a lot of reloads, but I finally managed to hop on up in there.

King: You "hopped on up" into the Abyssal Palace?

Me: Yeeeep, yep yep yep. Just squat-jumped on in there and looted the place. Then I killed that Sydney guy-

King: Synraith, Demon Prince of the Abyss.

Me: -yeah him. I ganked that guy. Mostly just to see if I could. Plus he looked like kind of a dick.

King: Indeed, the Foulest of the Foul was "kind of a dick." But you vanquished him without the aid of sacred Fjalnir, the God-axe?

Seanspeed said:
Same happened to me except it was my corpse littering the yard.

Speaking of my corpses, I'm getting raped by everything nowadays. I fought frost dragons earlier in the game and beat them fine. Then I had blood dragons - not a big problem either. But now I'm seeing frost dragons again, except this time, they can kill me in one blast. Even with some resist frost stuff, I'm not able to put a dent into the thing. And it was flying directly over the village where I was trying to do a mission. Aargh.

And bears. Man, bears are scary as shit.

No enemy in the game has been nearly as absurdly tough so far on Master as a Draugr Death Overlord I came across at level 17. Those guys hit harder than fuck and can take a lot of punishment. And they have shouts, one of which makes you drop your weapons (which probably sucks more for you melee guys). :p I think a few of the Draugr have that ability though.

If anyone wants to go fight him I think I recall him being somewhere in the vicinity of Autumnwatch Tower, where you complete a miscellaneous dragon-killing quest and get a new shout (and don't confuse them with regular Draugr Overlords, these are different).

Seanspeed said:

I was honestly thinking that earlier lol. Still can't get off of it :p

50+ hours in, lvl 30 and I havent even triggered the dragons yet =D

Still using the "delete all saves cept your master save every hour" method and framerate, while still dippy, is acceptable and doesnt take away from immersion for me. My save file is nearing 10mb.

Speaking of Draugr, I was in some dungeon (don't remember which now) and the NPC with my warns that walking into these reeds can wake up the undead. I brushed the advice off, ran straight through the room and 5 Draugr Death Lords spawned in a small corridor and destroyed me. Level scaling can be crazy sometimes. When I reloaded and walked carefully through, none of them spawned.

Khezu

The 3 mods I desire the most.

Static merchants, with all the stuff they sell placed around there store, or in a safe hidden somewhere.

Rebalanced destruction magic, sparks is the coolest spell in the game, but its worthless at higher levels, same for frostbite and flames.

Non retarded vampires, no idea why they kept the oblivion styled vampires, should be stronger the more you feed, not the other way around. I know vampirism shouldn't be a straight up buff, there has to be a downside, but right now there isn't even an upside, all the powers you get are crap.

Also conjure horse.

Zeliard

How did they handle Vampirism this time around? Because gaining Werewolf form no real downsides. You lose the skill bonus when sleeping, but that's fairly trivial and more than made up for by the fact that you get 100% immunity to diseases.

Seanspeed

Banned
Realyn said:
Really? Get yourself Ebony or Glass armor/weapon, upgrade them twice, enchant +10 fire dmg or smth on them, repeat for companion > profit.
I could also just set the game to Easy and be alright, but it ruins the fun for me.

I really dont mind it like this. I'll figure my way through it without having to resort to needing a companion or putting on armor. It can be frustrating, but I still enjoy the adrenaline pump of being chased by a bear or having a pretty much unbeatable dragon come at me. I'm not complaining at all, just relaying the experience. Its all part of the adventure and I'm in no hurry.

Another thing - I was walking around at night with the aurora borealis lighting up the sky. I was just looking up at it, marveling at the orange fresco painted in the sky when a dragon flies over a mountain top directly in front of the orange light and it was so gorgeous. It was just a completely black silhouette of a marvelous dragon flying in front of an already majectic sight. Frightening, yet truly awe-inspiring.

I'm sure I've said it about half a dozen times now but this is beyond a doubt the best game I've ever played.

Khezu

There are 4 stages of it, stage 1 you're pretty normal but don't regen health, mana or stamina outside during the day, and you get a nighteye power, a weak raise dead power, and 25 to sneak and illusion. 100 weakness to fire, 25 resistance to ice, and no one knows your a vampire.

Stage 2 and 3 you get more poweful, but become more weak in the sun, and people won't talk to you unless you talk to them first, also you get a calm spell.

Stage 4 you get a invisibility power, 100 resistance to ice, and everyone will kill you on sight.

Drinking blood reverts you to stage 1.

Echoplx

Markath has the best house, awesome putting all my epic loot on display.

ibvOq7XUCIDtF1.jpg

itBamDycNYO8R.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish I could turn off the shadows in this game. They look like complete shit on the PS3 and I'm sure they do nothing to improve the performance of this game.

Realyn

Seanspeed said:
I could also just set the game to Easy and be alright, but it ruins the fun for me.

I really dont mind it like this. I'll figure my way through it without having to resort to needing a companion or putting on armor. It can be frustrating, but I still enjoy the adrenaline pump of being chased by a bear or having a pretty much unbeatable dragon come at me. I'm not complaining at all, just relaying the experience. Its all part of the adventure and I'm in no hurry.
Well that´s fine.
I was just trying to say that the game isn´t really that hard, even on Master. Sadly I went exactly the Bow/DW/Smithing/Enchantment route for my first char and it gets really boring. Bears, Giants, Trolls .. no problem.
Still having alot of fun ofc. Next playthrough will be a solo Mage or Thief as well.

3chopl0x said:
Markath has the best house, awesome putting all my epic loot on display.

ibvOq7XUCIDtF1.jpg

itBamDycNYO8R.jpg

WHERE IS IT IN MARKATH? I've bought the fucking house but have no fucking idea where it is or what its called. This has been driving me insane.

Pumpkins

I was one of the people that absolutely could not stand Oblivion.

I gave it a fair chance too, but it just never clicked with me.

Decided to rent Skyrim last night from a Redbox unit in my local grocery store (awesome service by the way) and WOW. What a different game this is! I played it for several hours straight, pretty late into the night. Placed my order on Amazon the next day.

Awesome game. Such a vast improvement over Oblivion.

Zeliard

I dunno, Vampirism sounds pretty neat. :p

I guess in practice it may be a hassle given some of the things it can keep you from freely doing, but if you're gonna live the life of a Vampire you may as well go all out.

mileS

How rare is the +smithing gear to find? I just had a quest that sent me into a cave to get some heavy gloves called "Forgemasters fingers" +12% chance to improve weapons and armor better and I'm starting to wonder If I should just hold on to them instead.

Echoplx

Scullibundo said:
WHERE IS IT IN MARKATH? I've bought the fucking house but have no fucking idea where it is or what its called. This has been driving me insane.

When you enter the city it's to the the north, up some stairs.

iLffi2hX5jD7q.jpg

Luthos

Scullibundo said:
Isn't there a quest objective to go to your house? It'd mark it for you.

Zeliard

Werewolf form is particulary glorious if you go in a certain direction in a certain quest involving a certain
Hircine

Seanspeed said:

I was minding my own business, just traversing through a mountain pass, when a shadow of a dragon passed over me. No roar, didn't actually see the dragon itself, just a flicker of a monstrous beast flying overhead.

That one instance terrified me more than any monster in any Dead Space/Resident Evil/horror game ever.

Incendiary said:
I was minding my own business, just traversing through a mountain pass, when a shadow of a dragon passed over me. No roar, didn't actually see the dragon itself, just a flicker of a monstrous beast flying overhead.

That one instance terrified me more than any monster in any Dead Space/Resident Evil/horror game ever.

I was underwater in Riften and one flew by, I saw the shadow, came up for air, but it never landed

Duki

Banned
anyone figure out whether you can improve the nightingale armour/weapons to legendary with smithing? im lvl 100 and have all the perks and theyre only going to flawless :(

Slermy

Luthos said:
Wait, what?

So I have to do a mage quest on my warrior or else hold onto this 5 pound dagger forever?

Well, like I mentioned earlier,
the weight on quest items isn't counted against you, so you don't have to worry about that.

As far as another way to get rid of it, I don't think so

Cudder

SuperSonic1305 said:
Now that i've noticed the shadow flickering I can no longer enjoy the game. FIX THIS SHIT BETHESDA.
Now that you've noticed? How long did it go unnoticed for you? It is absolutely HORRIBLE on the PS3. It makes Oblivion look better overall, imho.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SuperSonic1305 said:
Now that i've noticed the shadow flickering I can no longer enjoy the game. FIX THIS SHIT BETHESDA.

What? It's particularly noticeable at the very beginning of the game. How did you get past that part?

NBtoaster

SuperSonic1305 said:

On pc? Reduce shadow draw distance. It increases shadow definition and reduces noticable flickering by a lot.

Cudder said:
Now that you've noticed? How long did it go unnoticed for you? It is absolutely HORRIBLE on the PS3. It makes Oblivion look better overall, imho.

I'm about 12 hours in and only noticed when I got into the inn at Whiterun. NOW I CANNOT UNSEE.

Top Bottom