• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

BagSquad

Banned
Holy shit, I just encountered the weirdest bug on the 360 version. I was in Solitude heading to the palace when I found a building with really weird and low textures on it. When I went up the stairs I fell through it, and landed in the lake below. So I could basically explore Skyrim without having to load out of the city. There were floating trees, invisible buildings, and a low polygon dragon stuck in some weird animation loop. When I tried to fight it, the game froze. Wish I could have took video.

^
Character looks great.

I'm a Dark Elf.. Love it...but It gets pretty annoying with everyone telling you how sick you look. I even have a dragon priests mask equipped and the fuckers start spatting out "You should probably get to bed" comments when I walk 5 feet from them.
You should go to a shrine of Talos, that'll fix it. I too got those comments and was wondering why. I would go to sleep but that wouldn't cure it, lol

Jeff Chen

Banned
Holy shit, I just encountered the weirdest bug on the 360 version. I was in Solitude heading to the palace when I found a building with really weird and low textures on it. When I went up the stairs I fell through it, and landed in the lake below. So I could basically explore Skyrim without having to load out of the city. There were floating trees, invisible buildings, and a low polygon dragon stuck in some weird animation loop. When I tried to fight it, the game froze. Wish I could have took video.

You could easily fall thru the floor in Windhelm with the charging shout. But not every time you can survive the fall - but if you do, you can enjoy the weird world ;)

nib95

Banned
So, basically I should just go ahead and forge them right now anyway?

Forge them but don't upgrade them (via the grind stone) till you have a good smithing potion. I bought one from the guy in Whiterun that added a 30-40% bonus to all smithing for 30 seconds. Used it to upgrade all Ebony weapons and armor. Going to do the same with Daedra but want even more of a smithing percentage addition from a potion.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Forge them but don't upgrade them (via the grind stone) till you have a good smithing potion. I bought one from the guy in Whiterun that added a 30-40% bonus to all smithing for 30 seconds. Used it to upgrade all Ebony weapons and armor. Going to do the same with Daedra but want even more of a smithing percentage addition from a potion.

So, your smithing would be like 130 - 140 with the effect of the potion?

kurohana

So, basically I should just go ahead and forge them right now anyway?

I believe you can have an enchant on your gloves when you upgrade it on the grinding stone to make it stronger than you would normally. I think it also helps to drink a blacksmithing potion, but I'm not sure if works before you make it, before you upgrade it, or if it works on everything.

To get even higher, you can just fill out the one-handed perk to 5 at the bottom and use enchant modifiers for one-handed damage.

Beaten again.

Holy shit, the
Draught Wight
I ran into in Saarthal was super tough, I eventually figured out it was beyond my level but wanted to see if there was a way to cheese it. And there was. I ran past it, jumped on that sarcophagus-looking thingamajig near it and managed to short out its AI since it obviously couldn't reach me now. It just stood in the distance, grunting at me, while I Sparked it to death which took like five minutes because I had to wait for my Magic to recharge several times. After that I realized I could've sped this up by donning the mage gear I'd been given which I'd taken off since I'd figured I'd need better defense in this fight. :p

Anyone got some spoiler-free tips on making some cash money/getting more spells? I'd like to go for some kind of Spellsword/Paladin character (my character is an Imperial) but it seems like my selection of offensive spells (Flame and Spark) just doesn't cut it at this point in the game. I'm either Level 5 or 6, can't remember right now.

Wallach

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade items at a workbench/grinstone as many times as you want, so even that shouldn't matter a whole lot.

Your Smithing skill is used to determine the quality of the improvement at the workbench though, so when you upgrade items it is in your best interest to buff Smithing as much as possible when you do so (regardless of what your base Smithing skill is).

gate777

Just found a bow that fills gem souls. Now off to filling my large amounts of soul gems I've harvested throughout my travels.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm a Dark Elf.. Love it...but It gets pretty annoying with everyone telling you how sick you look. I even have a dragon priests mask equipped and the fuckers start spatting out "You should probably get to bed" comments when I walk 5 feet from them.
They aren't telling you that because you're a Dark Elf, they're telling you that because you literally have a disease (e.g. Rockjoint or Bone Break Fever). You have to visit either a shrine or use a Cure disease potion to make them stop doing that.

Jeff Chen

Banned
Just found a bow that fills gem souls. Now off to filling my large amounts of soul gems I've harvested throughout my travels.

You can disenchant the bow and enchant your favorite weapons with the "Soul Trap" enchant you earn from it, at a later point of time.

scy

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade items at a workbench/grinstone as many times as you want, so even that shouldn't matter a whole lot.

Yeah, you can re-upgrade as your skill improves (or you get better Enchants on your equipment or Alchemy Potions) so there's no reason to not upgrade it whenever you can barring an issue with getting the materials.

Darklord

Banned
On the latest bombcast Will Smith noted that being a Dark Elf wasn't so great because everyone hates him. I haven't really come across any unique dialog about me being a dark elf. In fact, a few times I've even had dialog talking about a quest that's for a person of "true skyrim blood".

Is it more main story stuff or what?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can disenchant the bow and enchant your favorite weapons with the "Soul Trap" enchant you earn from it, at a later point of time.

Soul Trap is so easy because Soul Trap enchants can be recharged with...soul trap.

This becomes trivial with the Black Star.

Jeff Chen

Banned
They aren't telling you that because you're a Dark Elf, they're telling you that because you literally have a disease (e.g. Rockjoint or Bone Break Fever). You have to visit either a shrine or use a Cure disease potion to make them stop doing that.

Yeah, the last time I kept hearing ppl saying "You look really sick" and I realized it's pretty familiar... so I checked my status and found I was becoming a vampire soon... used the cure disease potion and fixed myself before it was too late.

My character actually became a vampire in Oblivion, and the way back to normal was long and painful - you cannot appear under sunlight, INCLUDING fast travel. I tried to fast travel to another town and was burnt to death half-way D:

Darklord

Banned
Yeah, the last time I kept hearing ppl saying "You look really sick" and I realized it's pretty familiar... so I checked my status and found I was becoming a vampire soon... used the cure disease potion and fixed myself before it was too late.

My character actually became a vampire in Oblivion, and the way back to normal was long and painful - you cannot appear under sunlight, INCLUDING fast travel. I tried to fast travel to another town and was burnt to death half-way D:

I wonder how Vamperism is like now? I'd like to see a view Vampire only quests because it really wasn't worth it at all in Oblivion but the Werewolf is pretty great in Skyrim.

Jeff Chen

Banned
I wonder how Vamperism is like now? I'd like to see a view Vampire only quests because it really wasn't worth it at all in Oblivion but the Werewolf is pretty great in Skyrim.

I read some posts and it seemed very close to what's in Oblivion. I cured the disease before the vampirism was finished because I was too afraid of the hassle. But later I found it only requires
a black soul gem
to fix it.

Anyone got some spoiler-free tips on making some cash money/getting more spells? I'd like to go for some kind of Spellsword/Paladin character (my character is an Imperial) but it seems like my selection of offensive spells (Flame and Spark) just doesn't cut it at this point in the game. I'm either Level 5 or 6, can't remember right now.

Yeah my girlfriend is playing as a mage. Once you get past the first few levels, those spells don't do shit. Get Firebolt and dual wield it. Get the perk that upgrades dual wielding and adds staggering. You can use it as a rocket launcher to blast enemies across the screen. Then when they get close just put a good weapon in one hand and Firebolt in the other and circle strafe. You can't die if you know how to circle strafe.

Also, I would say the best weapon for mages is the Daedric mace from the House of Horrors quests (in think in Markoth or whatever). It's a mace that has +30 magic damage and soul traps, so you always can keep it charged. That plus Firebolt and you'll be unstoppable.

Deadly

Does the Imperial vs Stormcloak story converge with the main quest and we are eventually forced to pick a side or is it completely optional?

Luthos

Making a Khajiit assassin. The biggest character question possibly of his whole playthrough...

To have that crazy whisker mustache or not?

Ghost23

My friends are trying to tell me that I chose the wrong path by going the light armor route on the smithing perk tree. They say the Daedric armor is the way to go. Will I be able to find Daedric armor without making it?

scy

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure I've seen one that could be picked up at an earlier point on one of my characters. Now I need to go find that spot that I had in mind :/

My friends are trying to tell me that I chose the wrong path by going the light armor route on the smithing perk tree. They say the Daedric armor is the way to go. Will I be able to find Daedric armor without making it?

You should be able to but you won't be able to upgrade them to their fullest. That said, it doesn't really matter. Defense caps out at a relatively low level that isn't hard to hit with even some basic Light Armor that has been fully upgraded with some +Smithing Enchanted equipment and +Smithing Alchemy potions. You don't even need those skills since you can just buy them at a decent enough level for this purpose.

Yeah my girlfriend is playing as a mage. Once you get past the first few levels, those spells don't do shit. Get Firebolt and dual wield it. Get the perk that upgrades dual wielding and adds staggering. You can use it as a rocket launcher to blast enemies across the screen. Then when they get close just put a good weapon in one hand and Firebolt in the other and circle strafe. You can't die if you know how to circle strafe.

Also, I would say the best weapon for mages is the Daedric mace from the House of Horrors quests (in think in Markoth or whatever). It's a mace that has +30 magic damage and soul traps, so you always can keep it charged. That plus Firebolt and you'll be unstoppable.

Thanks for the pointers, circle strafing looks like it's going to be tough with a controller (this is my first time playing a first person game with the dual analog setup, actually so I keep stumbling around like a drunk), but I recently came across someone selling a Firebolt spell and it shouldn't be amuch of a problem scraping together enough cash.

Dresden

Having lock-on would help a lot for Skyrim's combat. Add better hit detection and noticeable damage to bodies and it'd improve things immensely.

People who played Dead Island would know what I'm talking about.

Went back to the
Abandoned Shack
where you start the Dark Brotherhood quest line well after I finished all the quests and
the two I chose not to kill were still there tied up with no option to set them free
. Pretty hilarious.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Went back to the
Abandoned Shack
where you start the Dark Brotherhood quest line well after I finished all the quests and
the two I chose not to kill were still there tied up with no option to set them free
. Pretty hilarious.
Kill them all. It's for their own good. Plus I heard they had been naughty in the place under the college.

Light armor is perfectly fine. By the time you get very high in smithing, the difference between heavy and light armor is essentially a cosmetic one.

Mik2121

I know this is pretty obvious, but.. I was checking some news and saw this:

http://aaronhobson.com/gsv1.html

Some guy that, if I'm not wrong, retouches a bit the Google Street View photos, and makes them more artistic (color/contrast retouches, not the shapes). Anyway, there's this pic of Norway...

utsira_NWY.jpg

As soon as I saw it, it reminded me so much of Skyrim, and made me cry because I can't play it right now :(

Anyway, you can see more real-life Skyrim going to Google Maps, search for Utsira, Norway, and go into Street View :p

So, started a new character after getting my main to level 52. While I wouldn't rate the game "unplayable", the super lag and choppy framerate is killing me. Sadly coming from someone who played quite a long time on Ps3 before the problems set in (and my save ballooned to 13 megs). Upon release, both versions 360 and Ps3 were very comparable side to side, but as my file has grown so to has my lag. The Ps3 needs restarts often, loading times have become unbearable in some cases. The frame rate very clearly dips to the single digits almost permanently without a restart after a while.

At any rate, my old guy started as destruction but somehow became just a sword slaying mother fucker. Everything dies to Chillrend.

So my new guy, trying to focus a little more on magery this time as it was left behind on my other char. This new fellow is a stealth archer mage chick from Hammerfell. Loving stealth archery, totally awesome. Game runs like butter for now and being that I spent a lot of my time on my main in certain areas, I just went off to a fairly unexplored city and started there with some different quests, I'm late teens level now and it's amazing how different the experience has been. Good stuff.

Both classes of armor (light and heavy) have always been viable in these games, so go with what you like!

Dresden

Not only that, I think I would consider the Light Armor perk tree superior.

Yeah, it definitely is.

One would go the Heavy route up the smithing perk tree for the Daedric weapons, along with the fact that the best crafted light armor is reachable up that route as well. But going up the left side of the perk tree isn't going to cripple anyone; Glass is perfectly fine for the most part.

scy

Not only that, I think I would consider the Light Armor perk tree superior.

It's definitely streamlined better than Heavy Armor (two pretty meh perks for weightless-ness?). Then it comes down to Evasion vs Reflection at max, though the latter doesn't actually offer any mitigation boost which seems odd.

This is probably a dumb question, but how the hell do I sell stuff? It seems like every merchant I go to only allows me to buy stuff.

I have a crap ton of stuff I want to sell and I need the cash to buy a house. Where can I unload all of this?

NBtoaster

This is probably a dumb question, but how the hell do I sell stuff? It seems like every merchant I go to only allows me to buy stuff.

I have a crap ton of stuff I want to sell and I need the cash to buy a house. Where can I unload all of this?

Scroll down. Your stuff is listed under their stuff.

Wilsongt

Scroll down under your name. Then you can sell stuff from your inventory.

Top Bottom