• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

You know you've been playing too much Skyrim when you lose your wife in the grocery store and for a split second expect to see a white arrow through the isles to indicate where she is.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
So I turned the HUD back on.

I admit defeat.

I play 95% of the time with it off. I have to turn it on occasionally to check where doors go or what items are worth. Really, there should just be an option to turn off the compass. Exploring the great outdoors is fantastic without the HUD. I also play where I can only access my map in towns. It's super fun writing directions from town and then trying to follow them using landmarks. Also, no fast travel is a MUST in this game.

The Thieves Guild quest "Dampened Spirits" is broken for me. Brynjolf told me to talk to Maven Black-Briar to start the quest. Maven has nothing new to say & Brynjolf always says he's busy. No one will give me the quest, so now I cannot continue the Thieves Guild. I also can't get the Jarl of Riften to offer me the house even though I've done 5 quests for her and about 10 quests for the citizens of Riften. I'm guessing it's bugged somehow.

I'm pretty annoyed since I've been role playing my character as a thief the entire game who would eventually settle down in Riften and become the master thief. I considered abandoning this character and starting a new one altogether, but I'm 120 hours in and pretty attached to my Khajit. So I'll have to think of some other destination for him. Perhaps his frustration with the Thieves Guild tempts him into seeking out the Dark Brotherhood.

MrBig

I play 95% of the time with it off. I have to turn it on occasionally to check where doors go or what items are worth. Really, there should just be an option to turn off the compass. Exploring the great outdoors is fantastic without the HUD. I also play where I can only access my map in towns. It's super fun writing directions from town and then trying to follow them using landmarks.
[Interface]
bShowCompass=0

the dark brotherhood gave me a quest to kill ennodius papius. first quest from nazir. the kill won't register no matter how i kill him the arrow is pointing on his corpse. i can't proceed in the quest like this.

so pissed right now.

GhaleonEB

Okay. So I started the game. I chose Imperial. That's extra stuff for magic and combat, I think. I followed the dude to Riverwood. Helped out Camilla and her brother (The Golden Claw). Did some clearing out of bandits for the dude in the inn. When I went to get my bounty, I think I finished the next part of the main quest. I don't really know what the main quest is.

I think I'll be playing as an archer because the melee combat in this game is very clumsy.

I'm having trouble grasping the leveling system. So I level up, which helps me purchase...something for either stamina, health, or magicka. Then I get brought to this huge menu of choices that I'm allowed to fill up, one unlock as I gain a level. I've spent both my unlocks on archery (I'm a level two at the moment).

What's the (side?) quest – Join the Imperial army?

Not following the story at all.

I had a huge, 10 paragraph reply all written up, and when striking a key my pinky hit another key - Ctrl maybe? - and my window backed up several times into my PM box. Going back forward, the post was gone from my reply box. Someone else will have to explain leveling, I don't want to spend another 20 minutes re-writing. Sorry. :(

I suggest reading the OP of the first Skyrim thread, here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450948

It has a great set of backstory summaries that set the stage. I didn't understand the scope of the civil war until a long time into my game, but once I did a lot of things made more sense.

The Civil War storyline is one of the major quest lines in the game. You can choose to join one side or the other, and tip the scales to that side accordingly. It's not a black/white decision. Both sides have legitimate grievances, and both have serious flaws.

If you want to advance the main quest - and I suggest you do, early - follow the one that leads you to the Jarl of Whiterun.

I didn't fast travel a whole lot either but I do it a bit more now. The problem is you can get so sidetracked by smaller quests or locations discovered in route that you can develop some Skyrim fatigue as well.

You just descirbed a huge part of Skyrim's appeal to me. I love going from place to place. Usually I'll decide in advance whether I'm going to march straight to my destination, or wander off to a cave or nearby ruin, depending on my mood.

GhaleonEB

How do I turn off the custom destination marker (360) it's driving me crazy.

Click a different part of the map. Your options should be to fast travel there, place the marker there, or remove the existing marker.

Yes, to remove the marker you have to not click on it. Go figure.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Playing today I stumbled upon Angi's Camp and Bard's Leap Summit. After a hundred hours there are still locations to discover that surprise and delight me :)

[Interface]
bShowCompass=0

I'm on 360. I plan on picking up the PC version when the GotY version inevitably drops.

The instances where I have to turn the HUD back on are so few that it's hardly an inconvenience.

NBtoaster

Finally got me some Dragonscale armor, at level 51. Looks good!

Levelling up after 50 isn't as slow as I thought, feels the same as 49-50.

GhaleonEB

A few things.

The little Star Wars (well, Empire) reference in Bleakcoast Cave was hilarious. I like that the game entirely eschews outside references, but this one was subtle enough to work.

Just cleared out Haldir's Cairn, which was quite enjoyable. I love those kinds of caves, that tell their own little story.

Anyone know where Shadowmere went? She was following me faithfully for a couple weeks and is now nowhere to be found. Just went back to the santuary where she first appeared, and she's not there. :(

Lakitu

st5fu
Anyone know where Shadowmere went? She was following me faithfully for a couple weeks and is now nowhere to be found. Just went back to the santuary where she first appeared, and she's not there. :(

Maybe she's dead? It's possible, I've had 8 horses die on me. I'm on my 9th now. Although I'd check the last place you saw her, just in case.

GhaleonEB

Maybe she's dead? It's possible, I've had 8 horses die on me. I'm on my 9th now. Although I'd check the last place you saw her, just in case.

I didn't think Shadowmere could die
since she's dead already.
I'd seen her go toe to toe with dragons and not take health damage.

I was hoping to keep her as my steed for the rest of this character, but I'll scoop up another soon if she doesn't turn up.

Atruvius

I didn't think Shadowmere could die
since she's dead already.
I'd seen her go toe to toe with dragons and not take health damage.

I was hoping to keep her as my steed for the rest of this character, but I'll scoop up another soon if she doesn't turn up.
She can die. I witnessed two dremoras butcher Shadowmere. It was a sad day. :(

What's the (side?) quest – Join the Imperial army?

Not following the story at all.
That's the civil war questline. The Main Quest is still pretty dormant at first, it'll properly kick off once you visit Whiterun and speak to the Jarl. It won't be very hard to follow then.

And yeah, use the carriage system outside the cities for a more 'real' fast travel system. I only use the in-map fast travel system when I want to travel away from one of the smaller cities like Dawnstar or Falkreath.

Man, what happened. You were a legend to many of us. Tell us what befell you. What drove you to abandon your principles?
I put my HUD to around 50% opacity. The compass is a lot less prominent in the screen that way (but still there if I need it) and I still see my crosshair, health, magicka and stamina indicators.

I don't use any map markers, though, unless I need to find a specific person and he proves hard to locate.

There's apparently also a glitch with the Dark Brotherhood questline where Shadowmere can disappear if you parked her outside of the Sanctuary while
the Penitus Occulatus are sacking it
. She did for me, but fast-traveling from Falkreath to Falkreath fixed it. :lol

Then again, I think she didn't glitch for me, but got run off by an Elder Dragon instead. The guy was making circles around the sanctuary when I entered it, and decided to attack the moment I stepped foot outside again.

Anteater

I'm a level 50 and there's this one Forsworn Briarheart that gives me trouble still

:lol Yea I was just playing today and I was going through one of those areas with the Forsworns, I saw a Briarheart charging at me with dual weapons, I remember reading this post and I was like "hey that's the guy!", he did do massive damage on his first hit or two, which took like 20% of my health alone just from that.

He surrendered pretty quick for some reason after I shield bashed him and hit him a few times (he still had like 65% health) and I just killed him before he did anything fancy, but yea he seems pretty strong and I approached him with caution.

Arjen

'finished' the thieves guild, really enjoyed the questline, favorite so far (stil need to do the dark brotherhood though. But i really don't feel like doing the extra work for the final achievement..mainly because you have to go trough so many loading screens al the time for such small quests.

lol, joined the dark brotherhood with my mage character and decided to
to kill the khajit dude since he was talking shit. Unwittingly I used chain lightning and ended up killing all three people!.

When I talked to Astrid she had this to say.

Hilarious

TTG

Can a soul gem with a high capacity ever be filled with a lesser soul? I'm wondering because the weapon I'm primarily using at the moment soul traps everything. I don't want to be stuck with wolf and skeever souls in grand soul gems...

Also, I'm up to 13 out of 15 deadric quests completed! Which is the most I have in any category(by 1 over side quests and 3 over thieves guild). The two remain are lengthy, might be putting it off for later.

MrBig

Weird. Thing is, I lost her when I was visiting a town. Pretty sure I parked her outside of Markarth and she wasn't there when I came outside. I didn't witness her die or take off. :(

If you just lost her she should be back at the sanctuary.

But she can die, which I had no idea about and so started jumping off high cliffs. Upon which she just fell flat on one and didn't get up. Since I had no idea about that though I allowed myself to you the console to revive ;)

Grinchy

Banned
Can a soul gem with a high capacity ever be filled with a lesser soul? I'm wondering because the weapon I'm primarily using at the moment soul traps everything. I don't want to be stuck with wolf and skeever souls in grand soul gems...

I've seen people put screencaps of having grand soul gems filled with petty souls, but I don't know how it happens. I use soul trap on some people, and it tells me I don't have a soul gem of high enough capacity. I have empty grand and greater soul gems though. It's good that it doesn't fill those with what is probably a common soul, but I thought it would do it anyway.

Anteater

Also, I'm up to 13 out of 15 deadric quests completed! Which is the most I have in any category(by 1 over side quests and 3 over thieves guild). The two remain are lengthy, might be putting it off for later.

Yea you could, someone mentioned you could just drop the gem and pick it back up to empty it, and that's what I do =P
I hate keeping track what gems I have filled and what I have, I hate going into that tap in the inventory because some of them aren't stacked... and one of the reasons I could lose track and mistakenly filled them with smaller souls.

NBtoaster

Just finished the dark brotherhood. It was very good, I think I liked in more than Oblivion's. Far more interesting characters though the loot leaves something to be desired.
Decided not to kill Cicero, even though he has good clothes. Sad that you can't save the rest of the sanctuary. The sight of Astrid after the fire made my stomach churn a bit, lol

Anteater

Just finished the dark brotherhood. It was very good, I think I liked in more than Oblivion's. Far more interesting characters though the loot leaves something to be desired.
Decided not to kill Cicero, even though he has good clothes. Sad that you can't save the rest of the sanctuary. The sight of Astrid after the fire made my stomach churn a bit, lol

Yea it was my favorite part of the game, I really liked
Astrid's character, i felt really terrible at the end for her because I paid like 1k gold for the bounty and that's it, it wasn't a big deal, I ain't even mad, not to mention I lied to her face about Cicero (didn't kill him either lol), didn't think she deserves such terrible fate

I finished it yesterday, too. Definitely a great questline, I don't see where all the complaints come from.

I felt really bad for killing the Emperor. I'd managed to sneak to his quarters without alerting anyone (and my Shadowcloak had already been used, so I had to use Frenzy on a sailor at one point to create a distraction). I killed him, but felt real bad about it. I didn't even loot him, just searched for some valuables and left. Pretty cool that you can find an extra set of Emperor's clothes in his cabin, even though I'll never wear 'em.

One thing I loved doing during the Dark Brotherhood questline was using disguises. It has little to no impact on the game, but it really felt like it made sense to me. I often visited the scene of the crime dressed in mourner's clothes and boots before I murdered my mark. During the quest where you kill
the Emperor's double
I was already dressed like a cook when I went there. I only used my Shrouded Armor while on the road, in the sanctuary or when I was undetected and about to make my kill.

If you've played Elder Scroll games before, you should know that you don't get to sample most of it even 20 or 30 hours in. I'm up to 60ish hours and I can finally say I've seen mostly every type of area/dungeon the game has to offer. The stuff they really put work into is still off limits to me because I haven't progressed far in a single quest line, other than the thieves guild maybe.

I gotta say, I had a lot of expectations for this game, but it delivered in 2 areas where I never thought they would. First, the game is gorgeous by any standard, but coming from the team that put out the uninspired, ugly mess that was Oblivion, it's especially impressive. And second, the nuts and bolts of the combat still put a smile on my face at times. Not that bashing another round of undead in crypt #32 is fun, but there are moments where it's engaging. Especially where range plays a big role or where you can really adjust your stats to fit the situation you're in. Sneaking is also a nice change of pace, even if it is a trial and error thing for my player.

Maybe they invest the profit from the 10 mil copies they shipped into building more completely unique dungeons, but they've hit pretty good stride with this game. The only time I'm really bored is in the Nordic ruins.
At the moment, the two things bothering me about the dungeons is the fact that a lot of the architecture is so similar (logical, you might say, but still boring) and the fact that I am just mostly fighting those undead dudes 90% of the time.

I've just got to the magic college, I'm part of that fighting guild (forgot the name, first big city you go to) and I'm going to seek out the Dark Brotherhood soon, so I'm sure to see a lot of unique content, but yeah... more variety would be nice because already I'm questioning whether it's worth exploring a dungeon I find on my travels.

I always give in and explore it, of course, but that should never been in doubt.

ParityBit

Is it safe to install the game on the Xbox with the new patches that are out? I have been away on travel for a couple of weeks.

Also is theatre any way yo move saved games from the hard drive to the cloud?

Thanks!

coopolon

At the moment, the two things bothering me about the dungeons is the fact that a lot of the architecture is so similar (logical, you might say, but still boring) and the fact that I am just mostly fighting those undead dudes 90% of the time.

I've just got to the magic college, I'm part of that fighting guild (forgot the name, first big city you go to) and I'm going to seek out the Dark Brotherhood soon, so I'm sure to see a lot of unique content, but yeah... more variety would be nice because already I'm questioning whether it's worth exploring a dungeon I find on my travels.

I always give in and explore it, of course, but that should never been in doubt.

Yah, the dungeons are a lot more interesting than Oblivion, but that's not really saying much. And after seeing the ~5 different palettes it starts getting boring again.

In other news, I thought I was done with this game for awhile, but this morning I sat down at my PC ready to play a new game and all I really wanted to do was play Skyrim. Geez.

Yea you could, someone mentioned you could just drop the gem and pick it back up to empty it, and that's what I do =P
I hate keeping track what gems I have filled and what I have, I hate going into that tap in the inventory because some of them aren't stacked... and one of the reasons I could lose track and mistakenly filled them with smaller souls.

Haha, that's amazing! I never knew this, and it is such a pain in the ass to have to constantly check "how many petty's do I have? Should I stop soul trapping smaller creatures? What size soul does this guy have?"

TTG

There are a lot of regional dungeons and dungeons uniquely tied to certain quests, but the Nordic ruins do take up a big chunk of the overall pie and they are mostly boring. Like I said, I'm very pleased with the huge strides they've made from the god awful Oblivion. And if I started counting the different "types" I've went through so far, it would be over a dozen for sure. And I'm at 52 dungeons "cleared", not bad. Even ordinary stuff like forts will have certain unique elements. For example, I just went through one that had some sort of underground wolf fighting arena, kinda weird.

I can definitely relate on passing up caves and stuff as you get further in the game. There's always a tipping point where I have so many ongoing quests that I only venture from a path if something looks interesting or if I'm in some corner of the map and I won't be coming back anytime soon, then I begrudgingly clear nearby places. That's basically my policy on dungeons that are not tied to any quest at this point.

I can't imagine playing through the whole game without ever walking away from an unexplored dungeon. That would be a massive time investment and would involve going through so many locations only to find out that the final door is locked or picking up some undroppable item because the dungeon is tied to a quest you haven't started(and don't know where to start).

randomwab

Just completed the game. My save says 165 hours. So god damn good.

I've only three achievements left to grab. Anyone know the best way to level from 45 to 50 easily? That, the bounty in the nine holds and a few more pickpockets and I'll 1000.

There's a civil war going on in Skyrim. Stormcloaks vs the Empire. Stormcloaks are the Nords of Skyrim who worship Talos (worship of whom was outlawed after a war between the Thalmor and the Empire; the Empire signed a peace treaty condemning the worship of Talos [though not enforcing it themselves, rather having the Thalmor enforce it]) and want to break free from the Empire and wage war on the Thalmor themselves while the Empire isn't in a position to wage war (whether or not you think Skyrim is capable of defeating the Thalmor being the main point, though that facet isn't explored in the game, only the set-up for it).

The main quest is completely separate.
Okay. Thanks for the reply, but I didn't understand a word you just said. :lol Did you get all that information from Oblivion? I read the story information in the OP and I'm still quite confused because it's so hard to keep track of all these names and people and factions.
That's the civil war questline. The Main Quest is still pretty dormant at first, it'll properly kick off once you visit Whiterun and speak to the Jarl. It won't be very hard to follow then.

And yeah, use the carriage system outside the cities for a more 'real' fast travel system. I only use the in-map fast travel system when I want to travel away from one of the smaller cities like Dawnstar or Falkreath.
I think I saved just after speaking to Jarl of Whiterun. It was some Jarl. I forgot the city I saved in. The one near the two farms outside of Riverwood.
I had a huge, 10 paragraph reply all written up, and when striking a key my pinky hit another key - Ctrl maybe? - and my window backed up several times into my PM box. Going back forward, the post was gone from my reply box. Someone else will have to explain leveling, I don't want to spend another 20 minutes re-writing. Sorry. :(

I suggest reading the OP of the first Skyrim thread, here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450948

It has a great set of backstory summaries that set the stage. I didn't understand the scope of the civil war until a long time into my game, but once I did a lot of things made more sense.

The Civil War storyline is one of the major quest lines in the game. You can choose to join one side or the other, and tip the scales to that side accordingly. It's not a black/white decision. Both sides have legitimate grievances, and both have serious flaws.

If you want to advance the main quest - and I suggest you do, early - follow the one that leads you to the Jarl of Whiterun.
The level system is very confusing to me. There are so many options and I'm unsure how each progresses that I'm left lost. Maybe you'll have mercy today and feel like typing up another 10-paragraph response! :lol I read the OP and it helped a little.

Edit: I think I already one magic available to me - fire - but when I tried to use it I think I only could do so once. Is that because I don't have enough magicka? Or is that stamina? Oh my....

Anteater

meh, kind of tired of the traveling, but I guess that's what I get for refusing to ride a horse, but I don't want to ride that crappy horse and watch my follower run!

Horse sucks anyway

Arjen

Okay. Thanks for the reply, but I didn't understand a word you just said. :lol Did you get all that information from Oblivion? I read the story information in the OP and I'm still quite confused because it's so hard to keep track of all these names and people and factions.

I think I saved just after speaking to Jarl of Whiterun. It was some Jarl. I forgot the city I saved in. The one near the two farms outside of Riverwood.

The level system is very confusing to me. There are so many options and I'm unsure how each progresses that I'm left lost. Maybe you'll have mercy today and feel like typing up another 10-paragraph response! :lol I read the OP and it helped a little.

Edit: I think I already one magic available to me - fire - but when I tried to use it I think I only could do so once. Is that because I don't have enough magicka? Or is that stamina? Oh my....

Regarding the cilvil war. To put it really simple.
The stormcloaks want an independant Skyrim
The imperial want to keep Skyrim being a part of the empire.
You can choose either side.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Is it safe to install the game on the Xbox with the new patches that are out? I have been away on travel for a couple of weeks.

Also is theatre any way yo move saved games from the hard drive to the cloud?

Thanks!

Yea, 360 has been safe. Issues with installing were always pretty much nothing.

oneils

It looks like my thieve's guild questline is broken. After completing "Loud and Clear" I did a bunch of "additional jobs" but now there is no way to trigger the next quest.

I am playing on PC. Is there anyway to trigger this through console. Or, is there another solution?

One-hit kills from NPCs are such bullshit. I met Delphine and was on my way to Kynesgrove, when I met two vampires on the street. I killed the first one with two charged fire spells, when the other one approached me and I died with a wonderful animation. Now I have to walk all the way again.

It looks like my thieve's guild questline is broken. After completing "Loud and Clear" I did a bunch of "additional jobs" but now there is no way to trigger the next quest.

I am playing on PC. Is there anyway to trigger this through console. Or, is there another solution?

If you're on a PC, pretty much any problem with the game short of a saved game corruption or a crash can be solved with the console (seriously Bethesda, GIVE. THIS. TO. CONSOLE. USERS!)

If I've read this correctly, the console command (without quotes) "setstage TG03 10" should start the next quest.

Top Bottom