• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Spat_triate

Skyrim lore junkies creep me out. I just had the misfortune of stumbling upon a conversation about whether Argonians breast feed or not :|

GhaleonEB

I've been traveling on foot to areas I haven't discovered, then fast traveling when I have to travel back.

Do what works for you. If you are feeling adventurous, I suggest hoofing it now and then - lots of great nooks and crannies, and some amazing dungeons that are (way) off the beaten path. You'll see a lot of stories in this thread, and most of them came not from scripted events but from found dungeons, details and emergent AI combinations and encounters.

That's a terrible habit to start. Avoid fast traveling completely unless you just want to get the game over with and move on.

After going from using fast travel all the time, to trying to avoid it completely, I've settled somewhere in the middle and just use discretion with it. I still think the game is at its best when you let yourself wander around -- my current approach is usually to pick a nearby major quest objective and walk there making 1-3 stops along the way.

But it really sucks being close to your current objective, realizing that your inventory is full, and having to trudge back to town because you're avoiding fast travel. Doubly so if you're carrying a lot of heavy, expensive stuff (like dragon bones/scales or ebony gear) that you won't be able to get rid of in one trader run.

oneils

So what qualifies a dungeon as 'cleared'?

It seems to me that if it is bandits or forsworn or draugr, you have to kill the "chief" or "overlord." However, not every dungeon can be "cleared." There are some forts that are never cleared, for instance. So, uh, I guess I am not much help.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I cannot buy the house of Windhelm, the guy says that some shit happened inside it, but he wont tell me more than that and i cant seem to find any way to resolve this problem.

GhaleonEB

During a fistfight wager with a horse stable owner, my daughter accidentially punched a horse, Conan-style.

I do not suggest doing this while the stable owner is watching. :lol

Do what works for you. If you are feeling adventurous, I suggest hoofing it now and then - lots of great nooks and crannies, and some amazing dungeons that are (way) off the beaten path. You'll see a lot of stories in this thread, and most of them came not from scripted events but from found dungeons, details and emergent AI combinations and encounters.

I should've been clearer. On individual quests, I usually travel on foot to give 'em more meat. I also travel on foot to new areas (you have to, basically). I fast travel when I clear the required dungeon and have to return to the person to collect my reward. After I finish the dungeon, at that point I just want to get the quest done with and I'm really impatient to see the conclusion of the story and/or get on to something else.

I'm six hours into the game, and I have to say, my two biggest complaints are the following:

1. The atmosphere. Don't get me wrong. Traveling on the tops of the highest mountains, snow on the ground, snow blowing in the wind, the ambient forest sounds with star-crowded sky overhead, those moments are awesome.... It's the lower altitudes I have a problem with. Places like Riverwood and Whiterun. I never see the breath of people, or anybody shiver when they're outside. I feel like I go from the 70s-60s to the 30s-20s very quickly.

2. This is the harder complaint to deal with. The atmosphere I can brush aside, but the combat seems like it does its very best to stop me from playing. On my way to the dungeon to retrieve
the horn the Greybeards wanted me to completed as my first task, I encountered a dragon. And unlike the first dragon I encountered outside of Whiterun, this dragon was a lot harder to take down. Maybe a little too hard.
I previously said that I was going to be an archer because the melee combat in this combat is, at best, clumsy. While certainly less clumsy than the melee, being an archer sports its own clumsy aspects. Most of the combat in the game I end up walking backwards as an enemy charges, sometimes zapping me with a power, zapping me and beating me down, or just beating me down, while I'm hoping that I can get off enough arrows into 'em before they kill me. I don't have the maneuverability to go around the enemies (I can't jump that high and I walk very slow). I'm sure this'll get better as I level up, but during my fight with the dragon, the game was really trying my patience as I felt like it was forcing me to be more maneuverable than I could be at the moment. The combat is "What can I do to make it so my enemies aren't able to retaliate while I kill them?" when instead it should be "How best do I take out my enemies?" There isn't a nice push-pull scenario, merely push or pull.

Fortunately, I was able to lure the dragon
to an area with a couple people camping. The dragon concentrated on them, distracting it long enough for me to deal enough damage that I was able to finish him on my own when he finally returned his attention to me. Which was awesome.

I'm a level five. Is there anything I can do at this point to make the combat less clumsy?

Fjordson

I've been traveling on foot to areas I haven't discovered, then fast traveling when I have to travel back.
Yeah, that's what I do. Don't mind using fast travel if I have to jet back to a place I was just in.

Took a break for two weeks, but I'm getting sucked back in again. So many hours lost on this game (in a good way).

so apparently I downloaded the update that ive been avoiding on 360 while drunk, and now I cant load that file unless i update it again

any word on the 3rd update? possibly this week?

Anteater

so apparently I downloaded the update that ive been avoiding on 360 while drunk, and now I cant load that file unless i update it again

any word on the 3rd update? possibly this week?

The last one was the 3rd update wasn't it? That one fixed the magic resistance bug.

There won't be another patch until after the holidays if I remember correctly

The last one was the 3rd update wasn't it? That one fixed the magic resistance bug.

There won't be another patch until after the holidays if I remember correctly

i didnt know the 3rd had gone live, thought the last was the 2nd (broken enchantments/backwards flying dragons) guess ill go ahead and download it

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So, I want to marry Ysolda but I have one problem.

I can't seem to get her to give me her radiant quest so I can marry her... Is this bugged or is there something that I'm not doing right?

Also, Vekel the Man gave me a quest where I have to retrieve some journals for him. The only problem is that whenever I turn in the quest, he doesn't give me anything in return. It just completes with no reward (and I still have the journals). I haven't saved with the quest completed yet until I know if this quest is bugged and if it's possible to get a fix.

Piecake

Well, Ive finally been able to put in significant time into this game (bought it like 3 weeks ago, but my computer stopped working the day after), and I have to say that it is a significant improvement over Oblivion.

Right now I am rolling a archer/sniper wood elf who is really into 'the hunt'
So, obviously I had him turn into a werewolf and had him gain the favor of Hircine
. The companions kinda annoy me by screwing up my sneak and getting in the way, but if I dont kill the mob right away they are pretty nice to have as a meat shield.

I am definitely planning on leveling up illusion since Rage is all sorts of awesome, and if I can stick that on higher level mobs, I really wont have to worry about bringing a companion along (though I guess they are also kinda nice to have as a pack mule)

The game is absolutely massive though. I feel like I have played quite a bit, but I dont think ive explored more than 1/3 of the map. Pretty crazy.

Anteater

I can't seem to get her to give me her radiant quest so I can marry her... Is this bugged or is there something that I'm not doing right?

I think that radiant quest has the same id as another radiant quest or something (from what i read on the web), so you have to complete the other one inorder to get Ysolda to give you her quest, mine was the Black-Briar Mead quest from the Jarl at Falkreath I think, once I completed that I was able to get the quest from Ysolda.

If you don't have the black briar quest opened, I guess it could be the other radiant quests, I'm not 100% sure:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Rare_Gifts

The game is absolutely massive though. I feel like I have played quite a bit, but I dont think ive explored more than 1/3 of the map. Pretty crazy.

Yup. Nearly every time I've played, I've discovered significant new things in areas I thought I had already explored. It may not be the largest game world area-wise, but I haven't played any other game that matches the sense of discovery that Skyrim offers.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think that radiant quest has the same id as another radiant quest or something (from what i read on the web), so you have to complete the other one inorder to get Ysolda to give you her quest, mine was the Black-Briar Mead quest from the Jarl at Falkreath I think, once I completed that I was able to get the quest from Ysolda.

If you don't have the black briar quest opened, I guess it could be the other radiant quests, I'm not 100% sure:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Rare_Gifts

Sweet! Thanks, I'm going to have to see if I have any other radiant AI quests and then hopefully I can marry Ysolda (she seems to be one of the only NPCs that aren't obnoxiously annoying and she's a merchant).

Now if only I can figure out the Vekel problem all of the quest glitches that I thought I have had will turn out to be fixable.

this guy

Blackreach
is fucking huuge! I don't think I've felt this overwhelmed with a location in Skyrim yet. I might just finish the quest I'm on and come back later. It's not like I can carry all the loot being offered to me anyway.

Blackreach
is fucking huuge! I don't think I've felt this overwhelmed with a location in Skyrim yet. I might just finish the quest I'm on and come back later. It's not like I can carry all the loot being offered to me anyway.

I guess "overwhelmed" best describes it. It's becomes especially obvious after you update your map while scoping out maps at castles or after you open up one specific area only to find out that it's saturated with camps, caves, villages, etc. as well. I picked up Skyrim along with MW3 and Uncharted 3. I have been playing MW3 during my Skyrim down time but I just can't get myself to start Uncharted. I keep saying I might be playing this game for a whole year....

NBtoaster

Hah, just found an unmarked ruin in the plains I had found in my first 3 hours of playing, with some weird puzzle that I had forgot about. There's a chest below the grate, but I can't figure how to get to it. It might be bugged because the solution is fairly obvious...

puzt7jo2.jpg

Sharp

Hah, just found an unmarked ruin in the plains I had found in my first 3 hours of playing, with some weird puzzle that I had forgot about. There's a chest below the grate, but I can't figure how to get to it. It might be bugged because the solution is fairly obvious...

http://www.abload.de/img/puzt7jo2.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Probably glitched I guess, the obvious solution is the correct one in this case.

lol, well I'm late to the party.

Picked this game up a couple of days ago after several weeks of debating with myself wether or not, bc I just didn't like the look of it at first. But holy hell has it drawn me in!

I'm at 21 hours, a level 18 Nord 1 Hand Warrior/Mage/Archer and i'm loving it! Haven't touched DB, nor the Mage College (whatever its called), only did 2 Companion quests, nothing for thieves Guild yet, and as for the main story mode I'm about to
head to the Thalmor Embassy

Did some Civil War stuff, loved the
Battle for Whiterun. That place really felt like home to me for the first 10 hours of my quest, and then to invade it and say it in ruins, riding away from the burning town on horseback with extremely moody music. Man, that was so great!

And I just know i'm not the only one who, after having travelled and some quests, just goes to an inn and sits down to watch the fire and listen to the bards.

Fantastic game, my gf's going to hate me.

TTG

Just figured out that more than one Dwemer ruin connects to
Blackreach
. Is there some quest to tie that huge area together? Because I've only ever had to go down there once and to a specific spot on a sidequest. Over all, Dwemer stuff has largely been dungeon crawling for it's own sake.

Anteater

hrrm guess I might ditch alteration, just couldn't find a spell worth using, might not level the shield walls past the initial first level, that will give me more points to spare for my heavy armor/shield/sword/conjurer!

Might have a few points to spare for destruction magic that way, not sure if it's worthwhile with my gimped mp.

ShinNL

The other answer is wrong. You just have to wait for the khajit people to sit out in the front before you can do Ysolda's quest. As far as I know it's quite random when they'll return and how long they stay in Whiterun.

Anteater

The other answer is wrong. You just have to wait for the khajit people to sit out in the front before you can do Ysolda's quest. As far as I know it's quite random when they'll return and how long they stay in Whiterun.

hrrm I have an earlier save where Ysolda wouldn't give me the quest, and the khajiits are right outside whiterun for me, so I don't think that's it

ShinNL

hrrm I have an earlier save where Ysolda wouldn't give me the quest, and the khajiits are right outside whiterun for me, so I don't think that's it
That's strange. Maybe you have to chit-chat with the cats first? On my 1st save I got the quest like almost immediately, but in my current long game save I forgot to talk to Ysolda before the khajits left, so I had to progress much further into the game before I got to do it. When the khajits returned I was immediately allowed to do her quest. Since my 1st save hardly had anything done, I'd imagine you don't have to do a whole chain of stuff to activate the quest.

Anteater

That's strange. Maybe you have to chit-chat with the cats first? On my 1st save I got the quest like almost immediately, but in my current long game save I forgot to talk to Ysolda before the khajits left, so I had to progress much further into the game before I got to do it. When the khajits returned I was immediately allowed to do her quest. Since my 1st save hardly had anything done, I'd imagine you don't have to do a whole chain of stuff to activate the quest.

Yea I talked to the cats, you are probably right about the Khajiits though, since they seem to be always there whenever I start Ysolda's quest. I guess if he doesn't have any of the item quest opened then it's probably the khajiits.

The reason I think was the black briar mead quest was because I got the Ysolda quest really early in my first game (I went straight to whiterun), and I didn't on my other character (wandered to the other town at the beginning and got the mead quest), someone else mentioned the id thing when I googled it so I thought it makes sense and I got the quest after completing it.

Barrett2

Yesterday I decided to do a quest on the other side of the world, and just started walking there. Seven hours later I had stumbled upon and completed four separate incredible sidequests. Just wandering the open world is incredibly satisfying.

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished the game at 65 hours (which is four or five times past the moment I normally get bored with games). The last area was really beautiful and a nice ending for the game. One of my most favorite games of the last ten years and definitely this console generation.

Sharp

hrrm guess I might ditch alteration, just couldn't find a spell worth using, might not level the shield walls past the initial first level, that will give me more points to spare for my heavy armor/shield/sword/conjurer!

Might have a few points to spare for destruction magic that way, not sure if it's worthwhile with my gimped mp.
Alteration is incredibly useful. Paralysis, the various armor spells, detect life / dead, telekinesis can be enormously helpful in certain dungeons... even simple things like waterbreathing and the light spells can make a big difference. Probably my favorite school of magic.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Mainquest is broken in my game it seems...
Can't get the final word of power and I said f it and went on now I am supposed to talk to bearded guys again and it won't let me do it without getting the word of power... Which still won't happen.. Pisses me off because love the game..

Orlandu84

That horse needs armor! If only Bethesda would find a way to give it to us...

LOL! Although I would not pay for horse armor, I might consider paying for a DLC that enable mounted combat by both the player and NPC's. I don't know if this has been suggested, but a host of mounted marauders would make for a cool faction in Skyrim.

Just finished the game at 65 hours (which is four or five times past the moment I normally get bored with games). The last area was really beautiful and a nice ending for the game. One of my most favorite games of the last ten years and definitely this console generation.

65 hours?!? Pfft... you haven't finished the game at all. ;)

Arjen

Mainquest is broken in my game it seems...
Can't get the final word of power and I said f it and went on now I am supposed to talk to bearded guys again and it won't let me do it without getting the word of power... Which still won't happen.. Pisses me off because love the game..

Did you check www.uesp.net? You can find a lot of known bugs there and how to fix them

So this will be my first Elder Scrolls game and I will be getting it for my 360 come Wednesday. It will also be my first serious WRPG (well besides ME1 and 2). I've seen my friend play it for a couple of hours and the world looks amazing even though the combat seems really jarring. Anyway, what should I expect? And are there any tips for beginners that any experienced players have for me? Should I focus on magic or combat? What are the best skill trees to follow (I want that dragon armor)? How do I get the best weapons? And is there a reliable and accurate wiki for all things Skyrim that I can follow? Thanks!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What makes Skyrim awesome is that you can do anything you want.

Except maintain a social life.

Top Bottom