• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

So where is the game in my library? I thought it was a free upgrade but I don't see it?

MU0Tasn.png

As long as you have that by today you'll get it free under another name/

Unai

Hmm...I should try this. But aren't there sections or moments where you're forced to use melee attacks? How do you do this with daggers and light armor?
Also, I like killing enemies in RPG's :)

There are no such sections, no. But you can always carry a couple of daggers if you prefer them when things get close and personal.

There are no such sections, no. But you can always carry a couple of daggers if you prefer them when things get close and personal.

Hmm...what weapons do you use when you're playing as a thief or assassin? Just the bow? Where do you get enough arrows? Haven't played this game since 2011 so ....I forgot a lot ^^

Playing as a sneaky archer is SO much fun.

First time I played Skyrim I went with a generic sword and board style. Got burned pretty quickly as melee combat is mind numbingly dull.

Nothing like sniping bandits from miles away.

Also, they didn't "fix" the exploit that allows you to learn archery from the elf and take the money back from him since he's a companion.
The only way to play this fucking game. I always wondered why people said the combat in this game is shitty. Well, turned out I never noticed because I always played as sneaky archer in any TES.

Playing melee is the best way to ruin this game for oneself as it's indeed very dull.

Mod support seems to be coming along slowly but surely on PS4. this morning there were about 35 mods supported, now there are 50...i expect it to max out at maybe 150 to 200 in the end.

Which for me is kinda insane coming from an area of zero mod support whatsoever, and generally only having experience with gamesharks years ago for cheat codes.

I can't say i'll use them when i get the game and was previously uninterested, but a lot of the mods people have come up with that work on PS4 are surprisingly clever and really help the game along in subtle but effective ways

Mods aren't going to be maxed out, ever. Even older games like Fallout 3 still have new mods released today. If anything, there'll be even more modders trying to import their mods to PS4 to see if they're gonna work or not.

That's the amazing part of modding.

Just installed this on my pc. I think it looks pretty good, I like their implementation of depth of field. The only thing I'd like to see improved is hair and ground textures.

I don't see any texture mods, yet, in the in-game store.

Anyone know if we can expect those to be available in-game?

Alt-tabbing from the game still sucks. Can't seem to do it properly.

Use borderless full screen instead. Alt-tabbing is perfect for me now.

Razorskin

----- ------
Playing as a sneaky archer is SO much fun.

First time I played Skyrim I went with a generic sword and board style. Got burned pretty quickly as melee combat is mind numbingly dull.

Nothing like sniping bandits from miles away.

Also, they didn't "fix" the exploit that allows you to learn archery from the elf and take the money back from him since he's a companion.

Damn, I helped Sven instead.

Wallach

The only way to play this fucking game. I always wondered why people said the combat in this game is shitty. Well, turned out I never noticed because I always played as sneaky archer in any TES.

Playing melee is the best way to ruin this game for oneself as it's indeed very dull.

Mages are still the most fun for me overall. Destruction is a little boring (always has been), but I always enjoy running around summoning stuff, paralyzing guys and making people fight each other.

One of the only videos I ever uploaded of Skyrim was just me using Fury spells to turn Whiterun into a giant brawl. It'll never not be funny to me.

Gamepad

Been playing the PS4 version for a couple of hours and I'm already tired of it. I thought that the updated graphics would do it for me (played it on the PS3) but no, the game feels so outdated and old. Another wasted €60 just like with No Man's Sky. My own fault, though.

I usually use a mixture of ordinator and apocalypse spells (They're both available on Beth.net now I believe). It makes magic so fun.

I usually play pure mages too.

Those mods were not available when I originally played, can you describe what these mods provide not in the normal game?

Fess

Anybody else having trouble logging in to Bethesda.net when going to the Mods menu on PC?

I keep getting an invalid username/password message even though I can log in just fine with a webbrowser.

The game looks fine remastered but no mods at all on PC rigth now makes it by far the worst version :/

Edit: Fixed, I just had to get rid of special characters in the password

Nesther

So seeing as there are no classes I can basically become a jack of all trades huh? Seems like the way to go without becoming too monotone.

So just getting around to loading the game up. Probably said before I'm guessing, but the game looks like I remembered it did in my memories.

Not to say I won't play some more with it because Skyrim is awesome, but I guess I wasn't blown away. Playing with ultra settings on a 60" 4K with a GTX 1080

DrkSage

Went to Walmart, they didn't have skyrim yet. Went to toys r us, they only had the Xbox one version. Had to go digital which I didn't want to but oh well...

salty because GameStop left Puerto Rico

kc44135

Couple questions here, guys. Is there any chance of the PS4 version getting it's mod support restrictions removed/ lessened? It just seems so limited compared to X1 and PC. Also, what are the odds that Skyrim gets 4K support or something of the sort on Xbox Scorpio when it launches next year?

The reason I ask these questions is because I rented Skyrim for a couple days to check it out on PS4. My first impression was that it was Skyrim, nothing more, and nothing less, but perhaps not worth $60 to me on it's own... and then I tried out the mods. I'm a console gamer, and I've never had any experience with Mods before, but I was completely blown away. Just having a ring that gave me near infinite carry weight, and being able to summon any creature in the game (e.g. a Dragon) of the blue was incredible, and a total game changer. Now I'm left wondering, is it better to just snag the PS4 version here and now, or wait and pick the game up a year from now on my shiny new Xbox Scorpio and have full access to all those mods? Hmm...

illusionary

Well that had me disappointed for a while, struggling to get even 20fps on minimum with my laptop. A bit of search around, though, and it seems that the game's trying to run the game on integrated graphics for some reason. Forcing it on to my GTX-965M gives me 40-60pfps on "high", much better. I'll try tweaking for best performance in a bit (any suggestions from anyone else using similar graphics chips?)...

Does anyone know what it is about the game that throws off the graphics auto-detection?

In any case, PSA for laptop users - make sure that the game's actually using your GPU!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Forgive me since this has probably already been answered, are graphics mods for regular Skyrim now outdated with SE or should I still hunt them down?

Eyothrie

Why does foliage "flicker" so much on PS4 when you pan the camera around? It is so damn distracting. It's like the foliage darkens when the camera is moving, then it brightens back up when the camera stops

Why does foliage "flicker" so much on PS4 when you pan the camera around? It is so damn distracting. It's like the foliage darkens when the camera is moving, then it brightens back up when the camera stops
Possibly because of temporal anti aliasing? Fallout 4 did something similar I believe.

Second for a quick overview of Ordinator and Apocalypse magic.

I'm going to go with a Gandalf cosplay this time so I'm intrigued by new magic. Went two handed weapons with summoning last time.

I'm really bummed out because my laptop doesn't handle SE very well and I get like 10fps. Guess I'll head back to Legendary until I can upgrade. Am I missing out on anything major?

kris.

Banned
man idk, this runs like a dream for me. near-constant 60fps and any dips are only like a few frames. i've put in 7 hours so far according to Steam and haven't had a single crash yet which is a goddamn miracle because vanilla used to crash constantly for me.

Ryzaki009

Those mods were not available when I originally played, can you describe what these mods provide not in the normal game?

Ordinator is pretty much a perk overhaul that's made for compatibility in mind (so it's easier to mix other mods without needing hordes of compatibility patches). It tweaks the perk trees so that well...honestly I use it because it doesn't make mage feel useless and boring like in vanilla.

Apocalypse is a spell package with a good portion of spells. I mainly like it because it allows trees other than destruction damaging abilities (also some of the spells are plain fun like Drop Zone (Pretty much allows you to drop from mountains without worrying about become ethereal) and other convenient spells.

Couple questions here, guys. Is there any chance of the PS4 version getting it's mod support restrictions removed/ lessened? It just seems so limited compared to X1 and PC. Also, what are the odds that Skyrim gets 4K support or something of the sort on Xbox Scorpio when it launches next year?

The reason I ask these questions is because I rented Skyrim for a couple days to check it out on PS4. My first impression was that it was Skyrim, nothing more, and nothing less, but perhaps not worth $60 to me on it's own... and then I tried out the mods. I'm a console gamer, and I've never had any experience with Mods before, but I was completely blown away. Just having a ring that gave me near infinite carry weight, and being able to summon any creature in the game (e.g. a Dragon) of the blue was incredible, and a total game changer. Now I'm left wondering, is it better to just snag the PS4 version here and now, or wait and pick the game up a year from now on my shiny new Xbox Scorpio and have full access to all those mods? Hmm...

It's likely (but speculatory) that it will run in 4k on Scorpio, as it's getting a 4k patch for ps4 pro

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm... I don't remember SkyUI-less Skyrim being like this - it doesn't remember that the mouse and keyboard exist! Hell, I remember the old Skyrim knowing about the keyboard/mouse input, so why is Skyrim SE acting like I own a controller?

anddo0

So "Unbound" was all over the place FPS wise.. As low as 38fps, micro-stutter, averaging 58-60 fps. The framerate finally settled after I made it outside hitting, 60fps and above.. This was on PC (1070, 6820hk, 16gb ram). I'm guessing some control panel tweaks will fix most of these issues. I suspect, "Unbound" is a mess no matter what system you're running.

thinking about grabbing this on PS4...

is it worth the 60 bones to nab it up?

I'm getting the Skyrim itch...

For me, PC version now..
PS4 version when it gets some deep discounts.

kevin1025

Banned
thinking about grabbing this on PS4...

is it worth the 60 bones to nab it up?

I'm getting the Skyrim itch...

Having snagged the PC version for free, it's awesome to go back to the game all these years later.

For the PS4 price tag, it really depends. If the itch is big, then by all means you should go for it if you really want to jump into it! It's a fantastic game with a new coat of paint! Plus if you played the console version originally, as I had on 360, seeing it this new way is really cool :)

So it depends on what you're currently playing and if you feel it's worth the investment. It is still an incredible game, five years later :D

cftrooper

Does the PS4 version have precipitation occlusion as well? It's so cool that that's a thing now. I always hated how rain or snow would fall through a roof I was under. Took me out of it.

Ordinator is pretty much a perk overhaul that's made for compatibility in mind (so it's easier to mix other mods without needing hordes of compatibility patches). It tweaks the perk trees so that well...honestly I use it because it doesn't make mage feel useless and boring like in vanilla.

Apocalypse is a spell package with a good portion of spells. I mainly like it because it allows trees other than destruction damaging abilities (also some of the spells are plain fun like Drop Zone (Pretty much allows you to drop from mountains without worrying about become ethereal) and other convenient spells.

Cheers for the explanation. I'll check them out.

Top Bottom