• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Oh I see I got the Special Edition free update on steam, let me check out the graphics

10 hours pass, realize its 5AM and have to start work at 9

Tired at work lol

Well forgot about all the DLC that comes bundled with this version. Can someone recommend what order to play them?

Dawnguard first but it's still tough, imo. I was Level 21 and some fights are hard. You can always lower the difficulty though.

ah dang. might try reloading an old save where you know for a fact she was with you.

That's the problem, lol.

edit: OMG, she suddenly appeared out of nowhere, lmao.

kris.

Banned
Well forgot about all the DLC that comes bundled with this version. Can someone recommend what order to play them?

whatever you do, don't even attempt Dragonborn until you're at least level 35ish. Solstheim is a bitch at low levels and Miraak doesn't fuck around.

I think I'll try a 2 handed build. So satisfying doing a 2 handed warhammer power attack on an enemy mage seeing them drop to the floor

I had a feeling that when I started my first character, being all inebriated and what not, I would regret going with the destruction/one-hand Dark Elf... lol. Maybe I should just cross him over to being a sneaky archer thief. I think I'm early enough in the game that I can pull it off.

Unai

Don't have this yet, just planning my character but have a question:

If I build a sword/shield enchanter, are there enchantments that will give my sword ranged spells? I'm concerned that a sword/shield character won't have any ranged attacks, which could be an issue when fighting dragons.

Or...are dragon shouts sufficient ranged attacks?

Eventually in the main quest you learn a shout that
weakens a dragon and forces it to land
so there's always that.

Don't have this yet, just planning my character but have a question:

If I build a sword/shield enchanter, are there enchantments that will give my sword ranged spells? I'm concerned that a sword/shield character won't have any ranged attacks, which could be an issue when fighting dragons.

Or...are dragon shouts sufficient ranged attacks?

There are no such enchantments, but nothing is stopping you from carrying a bow. Bows are very useful in this game, so whatever build you go with, you should consider having one.
That said, dragons land on a semi-regular basis and if you get their HP low enough they land and then stay grounded.

My biggest problem with dragons is their attention-of-a-five-year-old AI. Several times I was fighting a dragon when it decided to fly off and attack random wildlife like rabbits and foxes, on a few occasions completely forgetting about me and just flying away.

idwl

I wish Nintendo didn't show this in the switch video. I really want it but I would love a portable version more, guess I'll just have to wait for 5 months :(

For PC players that are annoyed by the strong black crush:
Add fGlobalContrastBoost=-0.2 to your Skyrim.ini under [Display]. Skyrim.ini is in Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition.

Vanilla:
cSYO35I.jpg

fGlobalContrastBoost=-0.2:

Of course you can adjust the value to you liking. Just keep it negative to reduce contrast.

See, you actually make some good arguments. The Imperials chose the smartest of two shitty options, that's my take on it. The reason I say their hands aren't clean is because even though they chose tactically (from an objective point of view, they chose "correctly"), it did need them to get involved with the Talos stuff. Turning a blind eye while the Thalmor oppresses a religion stains their side of the fence and costs them the moral high ground.

That's why I don't find the Imperials so pristine. Necessary evil is still evil.

Yep! But surely Stormcloaks ambushing Imperial patrols, murdering kings, and turning a blind eye to racism is also evil ;)

No-one is good or evil in (almost) any conflict or war. Just got to consider the consequences and reasons for why the war is happening at all.

Kaz42

Other mods in combination with this might help make it more challenging, like Search and Destroy (increases distance and duration of time that enemies alerted to your presence will hunt for you) as well as Rebalanced Encounter Zones (adds higher level enemies mixed into encounters, so you won't always get a low level enemy for an easy one shot).

It definitely adds a level of tension where before it was easy to assume that you have the upper hand during an encounter. If you miss, alert anything else, or leave an enemy alive in closing distance, it's a lot more dangerous.
I wondered how rebalanced encounter zones would interact with the combat evolved mod but I'm going to try it out after seeing this post. Search and destroy too, I hadn't seen or heard about that one before.

-GJ-

I bought the game for my Xbox One but I play TESO on my PS4. Is anyone willing to trade their PS4 DLC code for my Xbox One code?

Vuze

Add fGlobalContrastBoost=-0.2 to your Skyrim.ini under [Display]. Skyrim.ini is in Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition.

Vanilla:

Of course you can adjust the value to you liking. Just keep it negative to reduce contrast.
Thanks! Pretty annoying.

parabolee

Vanilla:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Was seriously annoyed because I used the awesome IMAGINATOR mod to fix this issue before but it's not available for SE yet. And Reshade 3.0 was not doing the job.

Now if only I can find time to finish Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, then I can maybe make some time to add another 200 hours to Skyrim :)

Staf

So, i mainly use fire spells with my pure mage. But i need another element to complement it, don't want to waste perks on all three. Which should i choose? Frost or shock? I know there's more frost resistance but i feel like it should complement fire pretty good.

Loxley

I really like that we can choose which character we want to load before choosing the actual save file. I believe this is new for bethesda games.

Wow, I'm shocked I haven't heard about this yet - this has been a highly requested addition for Bethesda's games. Great to see them finally implement it! Hopefully it becomes standard for their titles.

So, i mainly use fire spells with my pure mage. But i need another element to complement it, don't want to waste perks on all three. Which should i choose? Frost or shock? I know there's more frost resistance but i feel like it should complement fire pretty good.

Frost is insanely overpowered against melee. Drains stamina so quickly, and slows movement speed.

Lanrutcon

Yep! But surely Stormcloaks ambushing Imperial patrols, murdering kings, and turning a blind eye to racism is also evil ;)

No-one is good or evil in (almost) any conflict or war. Just got to consider the consequences and reasons for why the war is happening at all.

Well said!

No trophies if mods are installed, ah man, jeez, didnt know that, Im not crazy about getting trophies but I guess I still enjoy popping up when I accomplish something.

Guys I'm getting weak. I've been browsing the xb1 mods and there's already like a dozen out there I want to get.

The game's $90 here though. :(

I'm very tempted.

br3wnor

Guys I'm getting weak. I've been browsing the xb1 mods and there's already like a dozen out there I want to get.

The game's $90 here though. :(

I'm very tempted.

$3 a day over the course of a month for hours upon hours of enjoyment. Succumb and let the greatness take hold (I impulse bought on Saturday).

Feeroper

As someone who has never bothered with the Mod scene for Skyrim, I was looking at some today on the Bethesda site and I noticed the Xbox One version has more mods than the PC version? I expected the PS4 to have few due to its limitations, but I thought the PC would have been more populated with mods than any of them?

So is the Xbox the platform of choice for mods for the SE release? (forgive my ignorance of the mod scene here if not).

Secondly, if Xbox supports mods that adds outside content to the game, doesn't that affect the performance on the console given that it is a closed platform (depending on the mod of course)? On a PC you have varying tech powering peoples machines so can run some more demanding stuff with better parts, but that isn't really an option on Xbox One.

kris.

Banned
As someone who has never bothered with the Mod scene for Skyrim, I was looking at some today on the Bethesda site and I noticed the Xbox One version has more mods than the PC version? I expected the PS4 to have few due to its limitations, but I thought the PC would have been more populated with mods than any of them?

So is the Xbox the platform of choice for mods for the SE release? (forgive my ignorance of the mod scene here if not).

Secondly, if Xbox supports mods that adds outside content to the game, doesn't that affect the performance on the console given that it is a closed platform (depending on the mod of course)? On a PC you have varying tech powering peoples machines so can run some more demanding stuff with better parts, but that isn't really an option on Xbox One.

most people us Nexus Mods for PC mods, not Bethesda's site. i don't have an answer as to why there are more Xbox mods than PC mods on theirs, though.

Vuze

As for your first point, the PC modding scene is mainly taking place outside of Beth's curated store for obvious (and less obvious) reasons.

No idea how much performance is impacted on Xbox.

Angelina

Banned

Vanilla:

i think 0.1 is better otherwise it starts looking to washed out

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Is there a cheaper way to update my regular Steam version to the Special Edition besides paying full price for a new copy?

There was bUT the time has passed. Anyone that owned the old legendary version (or skyrim+all dlc) got it for free. Was going for about $10 on some sites.

shermas

Essential NPC's in order to complete quests can get killed with no way to respawn them.

Yeah. I say it is a huge problem.

I've read that essential NPC's aren't killed... you might miss a shopkeeper or something, but nothing essential is killed by the vampires is what I'd read.

DeaDPo0L84

Wow, I'm shocked I haven't heard about this yet - this has been a highly requested addition for Bethesda's games. Great to see them finally implement it! Hopefully it becomes standard for their titles.

Wait does this mean I can create a new character but load a current save with that new character and not have to start all over?

Top Bottom