• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Hobbun

Well, I just hit 11th level and reached Fort Dawnguard last night for the first time. That was a long haul. Activated the main Dawnguard questline to check out a cave for the vampires.

It’s really odd, but I haven’t run into any vampires at all yet. I know they are supposed to be popping out of the woodwork around 8th level, but nothing here. With a friend of mine, he indicated he was seeing them often after he hit 8th, including attacks in towns. But after he defeated the dragon for the first time, the vampire attacks pretty much stopped and was replaced by dragon attacks, instead.

Haven’t seen any dragons yet, either, although I just defeated my first dragon last level.

Gluka

Just wanted to share that the maximum alchemy/blacksmithing enchantment seems to be 42% without using any exploits. The maximum fortify enchantment potion that you can craft is 60%.

UESP and other sites have conflicting information on this but this is where I settled after doing a bunch of alchemy enchantment cycles using Ahzidal gear, Seeker of Shadows and Seeker of Sorcery (plus vamp/necromage).

Now to farm alchemy supplies so I can stock up on fortify potions and finally stop being a vampire once and for all.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Use a trainer. IIRC there's one in the khajit caravan that moves around the map and I'm pretty sure there's other ones in the cities.

There's the master speech trainer at the Bard's College in Solitude, on the left before the Blue Palace. You just walk in and talk to him, ignoring the prompt to start the Bard's quest line should you want to.

His names Giraud Gemane and he's wearing a silly hat.

DrkSage

Playing on PS4. Is there a way to get money quickly without using mods?

Whiterun
Talk to the female blacksmith (forgot her name)
Go inside>place wooden plate against the wall>clip trough> use do not delete chest to jump to jump the chest>steal gold>jump to the abyss>talk to her husband>repeat steps from wooden plate and forward>quick save>load quick save>repeat

For some reason quick saving and loading restocks merchandise

Finally playing this on my Pro. Playing with mods is amazing. Adding the dark night effects and lanterns changes the immersion. Now it feels like Dragon's Dogma in the best way. Also enjoying more trees and better water effects. And the game looks amazing in 4K. Not noticing any FPS issues. Removing the HUD and wandering around at night is fucking incredible. Getting addicted again after spending so many hours on 360 seemed a dubious prospect but a great game is a great game and the upgrades aren't small.

Just picked this game up after snagging a black Friday deal. Couldn't pass it up.

Anyway, I've put many hours into the PC version - regarding playing it on PS4 Pro - what mods are essential for the best possible experience?

Also, how is performance? (I'm still at work and so I can't play it yet!)

Humdinger

Just picked this game up after snagging a black Friday deal. Couldn't pass it up.

Anyway, I've put many hours into the PC version - regarding playing it on PS4 Pro - what mods are essential for the best possible experience?

Also, how is performance? (I'm still at work and so I can't play it yet!)

I can't say what mods are "essential." It all depends on what kind of experience you want. I'm using rich merchants, increased carry weight, lanterns, better signage, less aggressive animals -- little stuff like that. There are a bunch of visual tweaks, but nothing like what you are used to on the PC version. Nor are there the major bug fix packages on PS4 (though there are some minor ones). PS4 got the stripped down mod catalog. Still, there are over 1000 of them, so lots to browse.

Performance is a little iffy at times. The way Bethesda handled the upgrade prioritized reaching 4K without necessarily maintaining a steady framerate, so you'll have times when the framerate dips a little. To me, it's not particularly annoying, but other people pull out their hair over that stuff.

I can't say what mods are "essential." It all depends on what kind of experience you want. I'm using rich merchants, increased carry weight, lanterns, better signage, less aggressive animals -- little stuff like that. There are a bunch of visual tweaks, but nothing like what you are used to on the PC version. Nor are there the major bug fix packages on PS4 (though there are some minor ones). PS4 got the stripped down mod catalog. Still, there are over 1000 of them, so lots to browse.

Performance is a little iffy at times. The way Bethesda handled the upgrade prioritized reaching 4K without necessarily maintaining a steady framerate, so you'll have times when the framerate dips a little. To me, it's not particularly annoying, but other people pull out their hair over that stuff.

Yeah I don't expect the performance I got (get) on my PC, but I just wanna play it on the big screen. I only have a 1080p TV so I won't be taking advantage of any 4K resolutions. I would just be happy with a pretty consistent 30FPS.

...might have to get that increased carry weight mod though! Can't stand encumberment limitations on games like this. Too much arsing around.

Hobbun

I had read on one of the Elder Scrolls Wikis that Elven armor, with upgrades/improvements on the armor, is easy enough to hit the 567 Armor Cap. Therefore making any higher light armors pretty pointless.

Is this what everyone else has found, as well?

That's quite disappointing if true.

Unai

Elven armor is really ugly, though. Even if that's true I wouldn't use it. Well, maybe using a mod that improves its visual.

I had read on one of the Elder Scrolls Wikis that Elven armor, with upgrades/improvements on the armor, is easy enough to hit the 567 Armor Cap. Therefore making any higher light armors pretty pointless.

That's just what the Thalmor want you to believe.

Hobbun

Elven armor is really ugly, though. Even if that's true I wouldn't use it. Well, maybe using a mod that improves its visual.

Eh, looks shouldn't be the only thing to determine levels of armor. It would be one thing if you easily hit the Armor Cap with Glass or Dragonscale, but Elven?

At least it makes it worthwhile to raise Smithing/Enchanting for weapons.

That's just what the Thalmor want you to believe.

I would be fine if it was only a RP factor.

FutbolBat

Banned
but that's the game that it's presenting itself as. I'm quite amused by the responses that say I shouldn't be playing the game as they've designed. And in some fashion your post that's excusing the poor combat. (Btw, I've also run around a bit but it felt a bit pointless - e.g.. I cleared out mist guard tower in the south via random wanderings; same old sort of gameplay more or less - also killed 2 dragons that I wandered near)

btw; i mentioned dragons' dogma. That games' open world combat shits all over this one. From archers, to magic to combat and the fights against the big monsters; way better. This game just plays a bit like crap. Fighting a dragon in DD is an amazing experience. In skyrim, not so much
Stop playing Skyrim??

Wallach

Technically you can make any armor in the game hit the Armor cap with the right talents and enough fiddling about with crafting.

If you want to get picky about it, Stalhrim armor is the best in the game because it has an intrinsic effect of increasing the bonus of any Frost-related enchantments applied to it (as do the weapons made of Stalhrim) which to my memory no other form of crafted gear has any similar kind of benefit.

And......... Done! I can now finally check out some mods. :D

gh8xweG.jpg

I have a ton of visual mods installed and the game looks stunning in 4K and runs fine on my PS4 Pro

Things like Hippy Project and the renovations to Whiterun totally change the towns. The water storm and night mods make exploring the wilderness a new experience. And I like playing like Dark Souls in terms of loot with my ring of 1000000 carry weight.

I also love adding female guards and mixing up the races. Giving them better armor and weapons helps immersion too. TBH I could get addicted to playing around with mods

leng jai

I have a ton of visual mods installed and the game looks stunning in 4K and runs fine on my PS4 Pro

Things like Hippy Project and the renovations to Whiterun totally change the towns. The water storm and night mods make exploring the wilderness a new experience. And I like playing like Dark Souls in terms of loot with my ring of 1000000 carry weight.

I also love adding female guards and mixing up the races. Giving them better armor and weapons helps immersion too. TBH I could get addicted to playing around with mods

I keep saying it but mods are a game changer for Skyrim. If you had the PC version you'd probably be occupied for a year just messing around with them.

Unai

Just starting this now.

I forgot there were difficulty levels.

Any advice on what to pick?

Honestly, I prefer the default difficulty level (adept). The only thing that difficulty levels change in Skyrim is the damage multiplier. The higher the difficult the less damage you inflict and the more you take.

Ashodin

And get mods that modify the combat like SMILODON if you can find it.

Also if you can find it, use Mortal Enemies. It makes combat closer to Dark Souls.

Coxy100

Banned
Playing this for the first time (with the DLC I mean).

I've heard how Dawnguard kills some NPCs. Can I go to the dawnguard area now (level 2) and start the quest lines now to stop the vampires?

Thanks.

witness

I've heard how Dawnguard kills some NPCs. Can I go to the dawnguard area now (level 2) and start the quest lines now to stop the vampires?

Thanks.

There's a mod that can stop that from happening so you can start it whenever you want.

golem

Thanks.

Dawnguard spawns vampire attacks on towns starting at level 10 I believe, which seem to be more lethal than dragon attacks. You can do the questline when that starts

Honestly, I prefer the default difficulty level (adept). The only thing that difficulty levels change in Skyrim is the damage multiplier. The higher the difficult the less damage you inflict and the more you take.

Thanks, bumped it up one notch to expert.

Disappointed you can't disable quest markers and fast travel in the base game. Oh well, at least fast travel is easy to ignore.

Edit: I'm an idiot, you can just disable the quest markers in the quest menu.

Unai

I'm pretty sure you can disable quest markers. The problem is that doing that you won't know where to go because the quest log isn't descriptive enough.

I'm pretty sure you can disable quest markers. The problem is that doing that you won't know where to go because the quest log isn't descriptive enough.

Hmmm, I don't see an option. You can disable them individually each time you get one.

I just don't want to be following a little icon at the top of the screen all the time. If you can't find the quest destination you can use the "show on map" option. There's also the clairvoyance spell.

Falling in love with this game again.

Same. (90 hours for now) I played some years ago but started again and so much fun, even after Witcher 3. Sneaky archer so fun. After finishing the game will look for mods.

There is so much bugs like all Bethasda games but i'm just laughing them, sometimes so fun, sometimes annoying for sure. :D

Unai

Hmmm, I don't see an option. You can disable them individually each time you get one.

I just don't want to be following a little icon at the top of the screen all the time. If you can't find the quest destination you can use the "show on map" option. There's also the clairvoyance spell.

I've checked it now:

Settings > Gameplay > Disable floating markers

Unless the description is horrible and it doesn't do what I think it does. I didn't test it.

itsc4z

Neo Member
Can someone confirm if the game bugs out over 60 fps @ 144hz? I have a weird bug on PC where, say, I change the difficulty in the menu and try to change it back it just keeps scrolling through the difficulties until I restart the game.

golem

TheZink

I have a Xbox one S and a PS4 Pro. I can't decide which version to get? I'm interest in mods and my tv is only 1080. Any help would be awesome.

calder

Ahh looks so great on PS4P compared to how I remember it on PS3

Just got back in and it's like I never left. But this time I'm forcing myself to try a new play style, I loved my stealth archer (loool so cheap, it was awesome), but this time I'm going pure destruction mage. No sneaking around this time, I'm just strutting up and melting fools.

Top Bottom