• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/5duxe4/picking_up_skyrim_special_edition_this_black/

I bought Skyrim on xbox one today!
I was saving this post from someone on the xboxone subreddit.

I thought it was really helpful for someone who doesn't mess with mods.

This is the intro for the subreddit post.

"This is quite a long read. I made it as short as possible.
If you want to enhance your experience of Skyrim dramatically, reading this, downloading the mods and putting everything together won't take you more than an hour. Your experience will improve more than you know, trust me.

This list is for pure mods that add to the game in a lore friendly way. No mods such as Thomas the Tank-Engine or anything like that. Sorry. This list is meant to improve upon the game and add new mechanics and content. From new spells and perks, to new weapons and dungeons. Improved combat to new dragons and thousands of bug fixes. This is the definitive Skyrim experience. I hope that it serves many of you well."

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Have they even acknowledged the fps issues on Pro? I haven't touched this game after getting a Pro and actually having it run significantly worse than my og ps4.

You can prestige your main weapons/magic to keep leveling up at a decent rate.
Yeah I have been doing that, at 191 with Archery/Smithing, 150 with Light Armor, about to prestige One-handed, Two-handed, and Enchanting. Still only at level 63 though so it is definitely a slog.

Haven't used Oghma Infinium yet, though. I know they fixed the main glitch with that, is there any other way to use it multiple times?

Santiako

Yeah I have been doing that, at 191 with Archery/Smithing, 150 with Light Armor, about to prestige One-handed, Two-handed, and Enchanting. Still only at level 63 though so it is definitely a slog.

Haven't used Oghma Infinium yet, though. I know they fixed the main glitch with that, is there any other way to use it multiple times?

I remembered the Oghma glitch from 360 (use it with LT+RT+A) and it worked fine on PS4, giving me +5 to everything (and 4 levels in the process :p)

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Are there any ENB mods for Xbox One?

Don't have the game yet but possibly deciding on the Xbox One version for better mod support, and also cause there's some weird stuff going on with reports of the PS4Pro performance.

Hobbun

Is there a place I can restock crossbow bolts? I have about 45 of them right now, but have scoured Fort Dawnguard of all they have laying around. I know later in the Dawnguard main quest line you are able to get a vendor where you can then purchase/craft bolts, but I am at the very end of Awakening (cannot defeat the named vampire), so a few quests away from that.

I have heard that Durak likes to shoot them outside by the tree stump, and the new recruit will shoot them inside at crates. However, the only time I have run into this was with Durak when I first got to Fort Dawnguard, and he actually glitched out and stopped firing. I picked all the bolts I could out of the stump, but he hasn't shot there ever since and no more are ever in the stump.

As for the new recruit, I have never seen him shooting at the crates yet. And I've checked at all hours of the day, at both locations (for Durak and new recruit).

Any suggestions?

Hobbun

So this is basically a no no on ps4 right? Lack of interesting mods is pretty deal breaking.

From what I understand, there are over a 1000 mods now on PS4, but I am not sure which mods are available.

As for a 'no go', if mods are what is important for you, then you will have a better selection with the 360, and especially PC version. With myself, I have never played Skyrim before now, so there is plenty for me to do with the vanilla version.

Hoooooooly crap I forgot what a time sink this game is.

Was up till all hours of the night yesterday (this morning?) sorting inventory and looting crap.. I need to try out the mods..

So this is basically a no no on ps4 right? Lack of interesting mods is pretty deal breaking.

I'm loving it in 4K on my Pro. Have 50 or so mods installed and it's a totally different experience.

Things like super dark nights and stronger storms totally change the game.

Deception

Any deals on this for Xbox digitally? I see its on sale for 35.99 through the xbox store but just thought i'd check if its cheaper anywhere else.

From what I understand, there are over a 1000 mods now on PS4, but I am not sure which mods are available.

As for a 'no go', if mods are what is important for you, then you will have a better selection with the 360, and especially PC version. With myself, I have never played Skyrim before now, so there is plenty for me to do with the vanilla version.

Yes, there are a thousand mods, but hundreds are repeats and they are almost all universally dull and boring. This is from someone who refreshed the web page and checked every new mod out for the past few weeks.

The coolest thing is the weather/FX mod that came out on day freaking 2, but 70% of the mods are basically moving decimals or adding some effect to some other thing that already exists.

It's my worst case scenario and I came into the ps4 version with a tiny bit of hope for the mod scene

Any deals on this for Xbox digitally? I see its on sale for 35.99 through the xbox store but just thought i'd check if its cheaper anywhere else.

It takes it down to 30 if you have gold. I did the gold for a dollar thing to get titanfall 2 and this on the cheap. I think it's going to be the best digital deal.

Deception

It takes it down to 30 if you have gold. I did the gold for a dollar thing to get titanfall 2 and this on the cheap. I think it's going to be the best digital deal.

Oh didnt realize that! Thank you I will be buying and game sharing with my nephew who has never played it before. What an incredible journey he has in store for him.

Hawk269

I have a Xbox one S and a PS4 Pro. I can't decide which version to get? I'm interest in mods and my tv is only 1080. Any help would be awesome.

I am in the same boat. I like the added mods that the Xbox one has, but I do like the improved visuals of the Pro mode. For me, the One version has a slight blur on distant objects/world, but due to the pro running in 4k it is a lot clearer. But I heard the Pro version has some frame rate issues, but I heard there was also a patch. Can anyone with a Pro speak to performance of the game after the patch?

With the game on sale today/tomorrow, it is a great time to get it, just need to decide which one. Arrrggghhhhh!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Can I buy the legendary PC version and get this special edition update free or was that something you had to do before release?

There was a cutoff for this a couple weeks ago, so you're out of luck.

Nameless

The Mod scene on PS4 has actually exceeded my expectations given the amount of limitations in place. Between the remaster job itself and the work the community is doing this feels about as 'next-gen' as Fallout 4, only VA doesn't completely bastardize the role playing component. IQ is also super crisp on Pro.

Maybe I was starving for an open world RPG but I've been playing like it's 2011 all over again.

Humdinger

So this is basically a no no on ps4 right?

No, not at all. It looks great on the PS Pro, and there are tons of mods available. If you really want to get in deep on modding, then you'll want to go with the Xbox version, but I'm quite happy with the PS4 version. I just need the basics covered, and it gets the job done. I'm impressed with how good it looks and impressed with the amount of mods available.

NolbertoS

Alrigh guys, caved in and got the Xbox One definitive version. I really want all mods available to replay and not just some mods that Sony won't approve. My Xbox One was starving for a game,so this and fallout 4 mods should keep it happy :)

Hawk269

Does the Xbox One version seem a little blurry in the far distance objects etc? I was at a friends house and it seems like walking around and walking into a town it seemed a little blurry. Anything up close was nice and crystal clear, but anything farther away seemed a little blurry. Was not sure if it was his setup/tv or if the game is actually like that.

So... I'm on the fence here. I've decided I'm going to pick up Forza tonight at Best Buy and I'm considering picking up Skyrim as well. I played the shit out of this game on the 360 (probably put a couple hundred hours into it) and the visual upgrade has me intrigued. The problem is I also have since played the shit out of The Witcher 3 and loved that game, and so I'm now worried that Skyrim will feel underwhelming in comparison. Do you guys feel the game is worth revisiting considering I've already spent so much time with it? Also, how does it hold up to TW3?

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I'm struggling to decide if I should buy this game.

120v

So... I'm on the fence here. I've decided I'm going to pick up Forza tonight at Best Buy and I'm considering picking up Skyrim as well. I played the shit out of this game on the 360 (probably put a couple hundred hours into it) and the visual upgrade has me intrigued. The problem is I also have since played the shit out of The Witcher 3 and loved that game, and so I'm now worried that Skyrim will feel underwhelming in comparison. Do you guys feel the game is worth revisiting considering I've already spent so much time with it? Also, how does it hold up to TW3?

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I'm struggling to decide if I should buy this game.

imo the game "aged" perfectly well with the facelift. i'm enjoying it just as much as i did 5 years ago

witcher 3 is such a different game it's kind of irrelevant. especially if you enjoyed skyrim before

imo the game "aged" perfectly well with the facelift. i'm enjoying it just as much as i did 5 years ago

witcher 3 is such a different game it's kind of irrelevant. especially if you enjoyed skyrim before

Thanks. I think I'm gonna have to pick it up. No telling how much time I put into the OG version and I never even got around to playing the DLC. I kind of broke the game by crafting some OP armor. I'll try to avoid doing that this go around haha

Hawk269

I'm torn between getting it on Xbox One for the better mod support, or the PS4 Pro for the better resolution. Xbox One/PS4 version look a bit soft with things in the distance seeming a little blurry, but on the PRO due to 4k it is a lot clearer with the negative of not have as a robust MOD support. Decision, decisions....any suggestions?

120v

I'm torn between getting it on Xbox One for the better mod support, or the PS4 Pro for the better resolution. Xbox One/PS4 version look a bit soft with things in the distance seeming a little blurry, but on the PRO due to 4k it is a lot clearer with the negative of not have as a robust MOD support. Decision, decisions....any suggestions?

special edition looks a lot better but keep in mind lot of the textures are still pretty uggo. higher resolution helps but it's only going to do so much

really depends on how much you need mods to enjoy the game

Damn this game is still like crack to me after all these years. Just started a new game on ps4 with a Khajit. Plan on going stealth bow with a little magic.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Is there a darker night mod on Xbox? I've searched and couldn't find one.

Download Vivid Weathers.

It will give you about 500 new weather conditions including thunder you can hear subtly indoors too. Really a neat immersive feature.

On top of this you are give a book which, when read, gives you options like night brightness. Select either "doom" darkness or the next brightest one and you have darker nights!

Sorry if you don't want the weather effects too.

Would you guys recommend purchasing the SE or original for PC?

In the extreme short term, the original is better due to a wider selection of mods made possible with the Script Extender (SKSE). However, the SKSE will be coming out "soon" for the SE and when that happens, there'll be mod parity for the most part. If you don't care about mods, then I'd recommend the SE since it runs better and looks better.

Wife gifted the game to me yesterday. Bought xbox one version because of mods. Also knowing it will run better on ps4 eventually, mods where more of a must for me than visuals. Since maybe later theyll add better textures mods for xbox one.

Love this game. Missed it a lot when my ps3 version was stolen when a thief entered my house and took it with my save, (didnt had plus thpse days) and bought the legendary edition on ps3 and had to start all over. But this feels like a fresh start.

Xbox version. Mods for today, Scorpio up-res for next holiday season. Best of both worlds.

Started playing this again last night on PS4 and I'm loving it again. Visually I think it's a nice remaster, it looks good I have no complaints and the load times are much faster which is great. And I just love the UI and map, perfect IMO.

Hawk269

I have a Xbox one S and a PS4 Pro. I can't decide which version to get? I'm interest in mods and my tv is only 1080. Any help would be awesome.

I decided to answer this since I had the same question. I rented both versions and IQ wise the PS4 Pro hands down, even with a 1080p set. There is a slight blur in the distance on the Xbox One and PS4 version, on the Pro things in the far distance are clearer. For example in the first town you come into, there is a fence that looks like it is made of sticks and on the Pro from a distance it is defined and not blurry, but on the PS4/Xbox One it is fuzzy/blurry. So on a purely technical level, I think the Pro version is the best.

If you are into Mod's however and you are ok with a little blur in distance objects, the Xbox One Mod support is far superior. Sony does not allow external assets for the MOD's so any MOD that is made for the PS4 uses whatever assets that are in the base game where on the Xbox One external assets can be used so better textures, better character models etc. can be created and used.

So after my testing it comes down to one version being cleaner and much better IQ or one with way better MOD support.

TheZink

I decided to answer this since I had the same question. I rented both versions and IQ wise the PS4 Pro hands down, even with a 1080p set. There is a slight blur in the distance on the Xbox One and PS4 version, on the Pro things in the far distance are clearer. For example in the first town you come into, there is a fence that looks like it is made of sticks and on the Pro from a distance it is defined and not blurry, but on the PS4/Xbox One it is fuzzy/blurry. So on a purely technical level, I think the Pro version is the best.

If you are into Mod's however and you are ok with a little blur in distance objects, the Xbox One Mod support is far superior. Sony does not allow external assets for the MOD's so any MOD that is made for the PS4 uses whatever assets that are in the base game where on the Xbox One external assets can be used so better textures, better character models etc. can be created and used.

So after my testing it comes down to one version being cleaner and much better IQ or one with way better MOD support.
Thanks man. Which one did you decide on?

Top Bottom