• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Unai

I have to admit that I am surprised that Bethesda never patched in a cap for weapon, potion, enchantment or armor power.

Using a combination of enchantments and potions, it's hilarious how ridiculously overpowered you can get for even legendary difficulty. Every enemy goes down in one hit. Its great if you want a specific armor look.

My weapon power is over 1000 damage.
Each piece of light armor is approaching 100K

My enchantments make potions/smithing 2000+% more powerful, lockpicking, sneaking and pickpocketing 15000% easier. Not to mention a carrying capacity of over 10K.

For lockpicking I unlock Master locks without even moving the pin, I can sneak so well that I am never even seen when I am right up in front of the enemy. Pickpocketing though appears to be capped at 90%, so I still get caught from time to time.

Despite having all of this godlike power, I am enjoying myself immensely.

Oh and I am doing it without the use of any MODs for my PS4.

If you are not using the fortify restoration glitch, it takes a lot of time/gold to do that by abusing the fortify enchantment potion - fortify alchemy enchantment loop, so it is kind of fair I guess.

The fortify restoration glitch is fixed in the unofficial patch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you are not using the fortify restoration glitch, it takes a lot of time/gold to do that by abusing the fortify enchantment potion - fortify alchemy enchantment loop, so it is kind of fair I guess.

The fortify restoration glitch is fixed in the unofficial patch.
I used the fortify restoration glitch.

I won't use mods and I sure as fuck won't use an unofficial patch if Bethesda is gonna disable trophies and achievements.

AmyS

So, I'm installing Skyrim SE on my original launch PS4 which has now been relegated to the bedroom's 1080p TV. Hopefully I'll experience a slightly smoother game.

Calabi

I personally don't understand why people use the "Weightless" mod... IMO, that would take a lot away from the game, knowing you can just run around, take everything and make tons of money with 0 thought.

Games arent realistic I play them to have fun. I use some of the weightless mods for ingredients and things like that. I dont want to spend ages constantly managing my inventory. Although I like weight in the other items because it gives a limit so I dont end up carrying too much stuff. Its fun to make tons of money, shame their isn't much to spend it on though.

Unai

My problem with weightless things is that it would make abusing health potions even more of a problem than vanilla.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor
Scroll down to Armor Cap.

I never understood why people cheat in a game that gets too easy too fast anyway.

Because I have played through the game many times. I don't need to go through all the grinding boring parts over again,

I'll never understand why people think a game has to be hard to enjoyable.

The Souls games are the exception. The difficulty is the biggest part of what makes them special:

Humdinger

Yeah, I've played through Skyrim normally already, spent 200+ hours on it. If I'm going to go through a second time, I'm going to make it a little easier on myself by cutting out the time-consuming, unrewarding bits like constant inventory management. I don't mind that it's easier. I don't really need things to be difficult to enjoy the game.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So at first I tried to copy over a few of my vanilla save files to the SSE folder and none worked, but after I played around in vanilla for a while and made a few new saves, a new one does seem to show up in SSE. It did give me a warning about mods no longer present, but practically every mod I used was solely for visuals (e.g., lighting, dynamic snow, one of those mods, etc.) so would it probably be safe to keep playing from that save file in SSE?

One annoyance about though is that the character name from the vanilla save does not show up in the character select in SSE, so I can only see her save files when I look at all saves.

Volimar

It unbelievable that after hundreds of hours playing, I've just now found Arcwind Point for the first time. This game man.

That's a great spot, but if you clear it before you get a Letter from a Friend or direction from Greybeards to find it, it causes a bug. Even after you clear it, they'll eventually tell you there's a shout there making it impossible to clear meaning you won't get any further hints about shouts from the letters or Greybeards.

It unbelievable that after hundreds of hours playing, I've just now found Arcwind Point for the first time. This game man.

For real. Last night I stumbled upon a dwarven ruin I'd never seen before to the far west of the map. I had no idea I could even get that far without the "You cannot go this way" message popping up. I'm actually really impressed with some of the map decisions Beth made, in that you can still find new things even after hundreds of hours of play.

A lot of my vampires are wearing vampire boots, vampire gauntlets but not vampire armor, instead having plain leather equipped. I can't, for the life of me, remember if that's a vanilla thing, or if it's because of some mod I installed.

Roufianos

Bought Skyrim on two seperate occasions but never got into it after loving Oblivion.

Gave this a shot and finally it's clicked. Really enjoying it actually.

Makes me think I gave up on Fallout 4 too soon, probably not though.

Ashodin

Bought Skyrim on two seperate occasions but never got into it after loving Oblivion.

Gave this a shot and finally it's clicked. Really enjoying it actually.

Makes me think I gave up on Fallout 4 too soon, probably not though.

The best part about these games is the ability to come back later and still delve into them.

Freeman76

Bethesda never fail to piss me off. The PRO performance on this game is not even as good as the PS4 i noticed this alot as I put about 60 hours into it before upgrading to PRO. Its hitchy, jittery, and not as smooth in general.

Beth make some amazing games why the fuck dont they make sure they work properly out the gate, i mean I get that games of their scope will have bugs etc which is to be expected, but this PRO patch is unnacceptable.

Freeman76

I personally don't understand why people use the "Weightless" mod... IMO, that would take a lot away from the game, knowing you can just run around, take everything and make tons of money with 0 thought.

I dont understand people who think weight restrictions are a good idea, but there ya go

TannerDemoz

Picked this up the other day. I was reluctant to play it again but I'm having just as much fun this time round as I did when I first played it.

Going for a magic build (I was stealth/archery last time) so this is all really new to me. Anyone got any tips? Been using a lot of conjuration and destruction but I'm wondering are the robes even worth it or could I just add enchantments to light armor?

Not sure how many hours in now: but my character is level 12; playing a mage - got to winterholden, did a few quests.

Does this game ever just get fun? I feel like I'm going through the motions. Fast travel A, do quest, talk to too many people, do more quests, fight some creatures. Its not really interesting/fun like how Dragons Dogma was to me. The combat mechanics are so shit compared to dragons dogma and the combat is also so dull.

Ashodin

I dont understand people who think weight restrictions are a good idea, but there ya go

Immersion!

Not sure how many hours in now: but my character is level 12; playing a mage - got to winterholden, did a few quests.

Does this game ever just get fun? I feel like I'm going through the motions. Fast travel A, do quest, talk to too many people, do more quests, fight some creatures. Its not really interesting/fun like how Dragons Dogma was to me. The combat mechanics are so shit compared to dragons dogma and the combat is also so dull.

Try turning off quest markers, and just wander around. Enter places that you think seem interesting. Get into mischief and jsut say to yourself "hmm that place looks cool".

MCN

Banned

Stop fast travelling. Explore the world. Stumble upon a cave and find a nest of vampires.

Wallach

Bethesda never fail to piss me off. The PRO performance on this game is not even as good as the PS4 i noticed this alot as I put about 60 hours into it before upgrading to PRO. Its hitchy, jittery, and not as smooth in general.

Beth make some amazing games why the fuck dont they make sure they work properly out the gate, i mean I get that games of their scope will have bugs etc which is to be expected, but this PRO patch is unnacceptable.

Yeah, pretty annoyed by this myself. Enough that I hooked my PC up to the TV so I could play it in 4K @ 30 FPS locked through that instead.

leng jai

Skyrim isn't about the combat. If you're just teleporting from quest to quest and engaging in combat constantly in all honesty it's a pretty bad game. 90% of the fun is from roaming the incredible world, discovering shit and doing random side quests that you come across.

Skyrim isn't about the combat. If you're just teleporting from quest to quest and engaging in combat constantly in all honesty it's a pretty bad game. 90% of the fun is from roaming the incredible world, discovering shit and doing random side quests that you come across.

but that's the game that it's presenting itself as. I'm quite amused by the responses that say I shouldn't be playing the game as they've designed. And in some fashion your post that's excusing the poor combat. (Btw, I've also run around a bit but it felt a bit pointless - e.g.. I cleared out mist guard tower in the south via random wanderings; same old sort of gameplay more or less - also killed 2 dragons that I wandered near)

btw; i mentioned dragons' dogma. That games' open world combat shits all over this one. From archers, to magic to combat and the fights against the big monsters; way better. This game just plays a bit like crap. Fighting a dragon in DD is an amazing experience. In skyrim, not so much

leng jai

but that's the game that it's presenting itself as. I'm quite amused by the responses that say I shouldn't be playing the game as they've designed. And in some fashion your post that's excusing the poor combat. (Btw, I've also run around a bit but it felt a bit pointless - e.g.. I cleared out mist guard tower in the south via random wanderings; same old sort of gameplay more or less - also killed 2 dragons that I wandered near)

btw; i mentioned dragons' dogma. That games' open world combat shits all over this one. From archers, to magic to combat and the fights against the big monsters; way better. This game just plays a bit like crap. Fighting a dragon in DD is an amazing experience. In skyrim, not so much

That's just how Bethesda design their games - the main quests and actual mechanics are usually average or even shit tier but the open world design is 10/10. I'm not excusing it, I'm just saying those are the worst aspects of the game and you'll have a better time approaching the game from a different perspective.

Dragon's Dogma has incredible combat but aside from that the rest of the game is pretty terrible. That's just how it goes with open world games - they either have gimped mechanics or crap world design usually. It's rare to get both. GTA5 and Witcher 3 are in the same boat, a lot of people don't even like the combat or controls in those games either.

Vanilla Skyrim is a straight up mediocre game. It's basically a canvas that becomes incredible after you apply 50+ mods to it though at the end of the day the combat and animations will still suck.

Don't use fast travel. Carriages are okay, but explore. If you're playing just to finish your quests, you won't have fun. Right now I've got a couple of quests lined up in the Solitude area and I'm slowly making my way there on foot, exploring anything I come across.

5th playthrough since the original release and I still can't bring myself to side with the Imperials

I'm the other way around. Since I started in 2011, I've never once sided with the Stormcloaks. The Thalmor suck and I kill them any chance I get, but the Stormcloaks are a bunch of bigots that only exist because the Thalmor want them to. It's made pretty clear during one of the quests that the Thalmor are the ones benefiting the most from this civil war, and that they're the ones that gave Ulfric the idea in the first place.

Ashodin

9bsRcuI.png

I seem to have found myself in Dwemer ruins.

Okay, jokes on you guys, I'm here looking for something for someone.

This is Mzulft, and damn if it doesn't smell like metal something FIERCE up in here.

Eventually, I'll find what I'm looking for however.

DrkSage

I have to admit that I am surprised that Bethesda never patched in a cap for weapon, potion, enchantment or armor power.

Using a combination of enchantments and potions, it's hilarious how ridiculously overpowered you can get for even legendary difficulty. Every enemy goes down in one hit. Its great if you want a specific armor look.

My weapon power is over 1000 damage.
Each piece of light armor is approaching 100K

My enchantments make potions/smithing 2000+% more powerful, lockpicking, sneaking and pickpocketing 15000% easier. Not to mention a carrying capacity of over 10K.

For lockpicking I unlock Master locks without even moving the pin, I can sneak so well that I am never even seen when I am right up in front of the enemy. Pickpocketing though appears to be capped at 90%, so I still get caught from time to time.

Despite having all of this godlike power, I am enjoying myself immensely.

Oh and I am doing it without the use of any MODs for my PS4.
I have 2 different saves. One were I screwed up the alchemy and enchanting process and ended up OP as fuck and the second save were I tried to balance it as much as possible so I could play on maximum difficulty and be balanced with the rest of the game e.g. (Legendary dragons still being a challenge, and other enemies still putting up a fair fight). Right now my armor rating is around 860 (daedric armor) and my weapons (daedric sword 111, daedric bow 113).
Note: I still haven't put any enchanting on it or have the bonus armor rating perk.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
5th playthrough since the original release and I still can't bring myself to side with the Imperials

I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life but you realize the Stormcloaks are fanatical, racist nationalists willing to murder to keep non-Nords out of Skyrim, right? They always feel like the worst option and IIRC they do more damage to Whiterun.

Jamesways

same here. fuck the thalmor seriously. not even an "option"
I've played 4 characters, over 1k hours and had 2 nords join the Imperials. Even with those I'd kill any Thalmor party I'd come across without hesitation. I'd view it as not liking the agreement/system, but realizing it's for the better of Skyrim.
They are pure evil, especially
learning they tortured and are using Ulfric as an asset to weaken Skyrim through the civil war

bosseye

Stop fast travelling for a start, just walk and explore, stumble across things. There is a ton of fascinating stuff to find in the wilds, often with some totally incidental story telling associated. Caves, mysterious ruins, lovely landscapes etc. I've played for hours across multiple consoles and pc and the other day still stumbled across a talking door I've never seen before. I also found a dead alchemist in a small lake, followed the stream up and found his camp with a poignant diary. There's loads of great little moments to be stumbled across which really flesh out the world.

Also one of my favourite things is waiting until everyone is asleep, picking the lock on the traders/armourer/random house and going burgling. Sneaky sneaky.

DrkSage

I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life but you realize the Stormcloaks are fanatical, racist nationalists willing to murder to keep non-Nords out of Skyrim, right? They always feel like the worst option and IIRC they do more damage to Whiterun.

I came to realize that now in the remaster, Ulfric is like trump. Make skyrim great again.

i still sided with them in me first playtrough of the remaster. Not because they're racist or anything of that, but because i hate the thalmor. If the imperials weren't sided with them I would have picked joined them. I still hate how the stormcloaks left whiterun after the war, that's why in my second playtrough i haven't sided with anyone.

i wish you could create your own army and lay a beating on both stormcloaks and imperials, and then become the true king of skyrim

I came to realize that now in the remaster, Ulfric is like trump. Make skyrim great again.

i still sided with them in me first playtrough of the remaster. Not because they're racist or anything of that, but because i hate the thalmor. If the imperials weren't sided with them I would have picked joined them. I still hate how the stormcloaks left whiterun after the war, that's why in my second playtrough i haven't sided with anyone.

i wish you could create your own army and lay a beating on both stormcloaks and imperials, and then become the true king of skyrim

If you complete the Civil War for the Imperials, the last thing Tullius says is to prepare for the next war against the Thalmor. So I wouldn't say they're sided with them at all, they're grudgingly living under their yoke for now.

ckohler

I'm enjoying my pure mage build although the only problem I'm running into is all the one hit kills from mele attackers. I've been putting all of my points into magica and my health is still only 100. I use stoneflesh which helps but I still get one shotted a lot. I don't want to use armor so I'm really struggling at the moment. Should I increase my health? I kind of don't want to.

120v

I'm enjoying my pure mage build although the only problem I'm running into is all the one hit kills from mele attackers. I've been putting all of my points into magica and my health is still only 100. I use stoneflesh which helps but I still get one shotted a lot. I don't want to use armor so I'm really struggling at the moment. Should I increase my health? I kind of don't want to.

never did a pure mage build but maybe you could mess around with enchanting your robes for defense?

Raxious

Seeing as I'm planning to upgrade from a normal PS4 to a PS4 pro, I was wondering if the game's fps has been fixed on the Pro.

Unless you have a bunch of fortify main spell type enchants I'd probably just switch to any other armor and build up that skill tree. Magic regen gear is nice but not necessary. You will get one shotted in many melee situations otherwise. Sucks that there isn't an unarmored/robe skill tree.

ckohler

Unless you have a bunch of fortify main spell type enchants I'd probably just switch to any other armor and build up that skill tree. Magic regen gear is nice but not necessary. You will get one shotted in many melee situations otherwise. Sucks that there isn't an unarmored/robe skill tree.
Recently I've been sticking to letting my summons do the fighting and hanging back. That works as long as I don't let a guy with a giant sword get close.

Thing is, I've already been specking my mage up to never wear armor and I want to RP that way. I know once I get 100 in Alteration I'll get mage armor as strong as one can get.

The armor spells (oakflesh etc.) are extremely weak because of Skyrim's nonsensical armor system. Don't bother with them until you have at least two points in the Mage Armor perk and Ironflesh.
And yes, you should increase your health as a mage. You don't need that much magicka anyways.

Top Bottom