• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

I'm enjoying my pure mage build although the only problem I'm running into is all the one hit kills from mele attackers. I've been putting all of my points into magica and my health is still only 100. I use stoneflesh which helps but I still get one shotted a lot. I don't want to use armor so I'm really struggling at the moment. Should I increase my health? I kind of don't want to.

double fireball seems to take care of most attackers from a distance. if in close quarters send a fire atroache. I'm mostly double casting and sometimes, one hand is flames, other is healing. Works 99% of the time.

Im also playing pure mage: one of the first things I did was make my way to winterholden to get spells.

theBmZ

I put well over 700 hours into Skyrim on 360. I was excited for this remaster, but a part of me felt like I would only play it for 50 or so hours for the nostalgia trip and then move on. But I gotta say, playing it on Xbox One with the new enhancements and 70 something mods on has dramatically altered the experience for the better. The game feels wholly new again. I can easily see myself spending another several hundred hours in this world again.

Right now I'm playing a female Bosmer Hunter type character. I'm going on a tour of the world, moving from city to city, hunting, and clearing a dungeon or two along the way. My only real goal right now is to get enough money to buy property to build a home base on. Mods like Alternate Start, Frostfall, Camping, and Wildcat have completely changed the way I play the game. Surviving the elements, setting up campfires and tents. More dangerous combat. No fast travelling makes the game much, much better. I'm already seeing things I haven't seen before. The little adventures and stories I get myself into are already more interesting than anything I encountered in vanilla Skyrim back in 2011-12. The mods seem to encourage role play much more as well. I never played any of my characters on 360 like I do now. Just having a great time so far.

leng jai

I put well over 700 hours into Skyrim on 360. I was excited for this remaster, but a part of me felt like I would only play it for 50 or so hours for the nostalgia trip and then move on. But I gotta say, playing it on Xbox One with the new enhancements and 70 something mods on has dramatically altered the experience for the better. The game feels wholly new again. I can easily see myself spending another several hundred hours in this world again.

Right now I'm playing a female Bosmer Hunter type character. I'm going on a tour of the world, moving from city to city, hunting, and clearing a dungeon or two along the way. My only real goal right now is to get enough money to buy property to build a home base on. Mods like Alternate Start, Frostfall, Camping, and Wildcat have completely changed the way I play the game. Surviving the elements, setting up campfires and tents. More dangerous combat. No fast travelling makes the game much, much better. I'm already seeing things I haven't seen before. The little adventures and stories I get myself into are already more interesting than anything I encountered in vanilla Skyrim back in 2011-12. The mods seem to encourage role play much more as well. I never played any of my characters on 360 like I do now. Just having a great time so far.

If you install the right mods then it might as well be en entire new game outside of the main quest.

ckohler

The armor spells (oakflesh etc.) are extremely weak because of Skyrim's nonsensical armor system. Don't bother with them until you have at least two points in the Mage Armor perk and Ironflesh.
And yes, you should increase your health as a mage. You don't need that much magicka anyways.

Just to be clear, you're saying that Mage Armor perk plus Ironflesh (or greater) works well enough? I was debating Mage Armor perks and instead just building up to double-casting Dragonflesh since it can be overcharged without the Mage Armor perks. That way I can still wear a Dragon Mask since wearing one (as light armor) negates the Mage Armor perks entirely.

Also, I'm level 16 with almost to 300 Magica. Once I get 300, I'll start increasing my Health more.

double fireball seems to take care of most attackers from a distance. if in close quarters send a fire atroache. I'm mostly double casting and sometimes, one hand is flames, other is healing. Works 99% of the time.

Im also playing pure mage: one of the first things I did was make my way to winterholden to get spells.

I've been been using the firebolt/healing combo. It works decently but if a heavy melee guy gets close enough he does a power attack that kills me instantly regardless of if I'm healing. As for Winterhold, I'm going to wait a bit longer before I go there since I know there are leveled quest items that are strongest if you're level 25 or higher.

I've been been using the firebolt/healing combo. It works decently but if a heavy melee guy gets close enough he does a power attack that kills me instantly regardless of if I'm healing. As for Winterhold, I'm going to wait a bit longer before I go there since I know there are leveled quest items that are strongest if you're level 25 or higher.

Are you using shouts? Unrelenting force is the bread and butter of getting people out of your face. Especially since it doesn't take up a hand.

Humdinger

but that's the game that it's presenting itself as. I'm quite amused by the responses that say I shouldn't be playing the game as they've designed.

If you think Bethesda designs or presents their games to be played one way, I don't know what to tell you besides you just aren't tuned in. There are a multitude of ways to approach this game.

btw; i mentioned dragons' dogma. That games' open world combat shits all over this one. From archers, to magic to combat and the fights against the big monsters; way better.

Yeah, combat is better in DD. Just about everything else is better in Skryim -- exploration, characters, story, dialog, immersion, landscape, variety, levelling, lore, loot, open world, all the little touches, the amount of content, the sense of discovery, etc.

It's a matter of taste/preference. Skyrim is probably not for you. Sounds to me like you need a game with more of a focus on combat excitement. That's not Skyrim's strong point. It's more about exploration, discovery, leveling a character you like, and creating your own adventure.

Hey GAF, what are the must-have mods on PS4 ?

There are over 1000 mods on PS4 now, so there's a lot to choose from. I don't know which are the "must have's," but here are the ones I'm using:

• rich merchants (so they aren't always short on cash)
  • increased carry weight
  • better loot
  • faster leveling (not good at the start, because leveling is fast enough already, but once you hit 25 or 30, the leveling pace starts to crawl, so this mod can help keep things rewarding)
  • lamp posts
  • better signs
  • lore-based loading screens
  • nicer children (kids can be annoying jerks in Skyrim)
  • less aggressive animals (wild animals, especially small ones, should not constantly attack human beings, plus it's annoying)
Some of those are a little cheaty, of course. I've played through it once already, and I wanted my second run to be easier and less of a hassle.

Pro users, this game worth picking up for 25 on BF? I played and beat skyrim on PC years ago (gtx760), but I am curious to try this out on the pro. Seems like the game is still glitchy and may have pro issues, but I wonder how much of that actually hampers the "fun" of it all.

nOoblet16

Been playing this and I first bought this on PS4 only to have it returned and get the Xbox One version.

In my opinion PS4 players are missing big time by not having access to mods that use assets from outside the game, since those are the best mods that are really worth installing. And it's not just because of the graphics and ability to have improved character models and animations. They even miss out on ridiculously hilarious stuff like Sofia and a lot of other good mods that rely on other mods with outside the game assets, even quests, magic and locations !! And there's also the fact that the max mod size limit is 800MB, I already have close to 1.5GB worth of mods installed on Xbox One.

I never installed mods on PC simply because it wasn't as easy as it is here, granted there are mods available on PC, but the installation system here is sooooooooo god damn good!

leng jai

Been playing this and I first bought this on PS4 only to have it returned and get the Xbox One version.

In my opinion PS4 players are missing big time by not having access to mods that use assets from outside the game, since those are the best mods that are really worth installing. And it's not just because of the graphics and ability to have improved character models and animations. They even miss out on ridiculously hilarious stuff like Sofia and a lot of other good mods that rely on other mods with outside the game assets, even quests, magic and locations !! And there's also the fact that the max mod size limit is 800MB, I already have close to 1.5GB worth of mods installed on Xbox One.

I never installed mods on PC simply because it wasn't as easy as it is here, granted there are mods available on PC, but the installation system here is sooooooooo god damn good!

Literally 99% of the mods outside of ENB stuff is just cut and pasting files into the data folder.

nOoblet16

Literally 99% of the mods outside of ENB stuff is just cut and pasting files into the data folder.
It is, which is why it can get a bit out of hand when you want to delete things or disable them. While I do like having a mod manager it can still get out of control ar times because of the manual process of having to add them to mod manager on PC. It's happened a lot with me with Bethesda games in the past. Point being regardless of how easy it is on PC to add mods, it's not even close to how convenient and helpful it is to have an inbuilt mod manager and search within the game itself...which the console versions have...since it just cannot get any simpler than this.

Godamnit bethesda!

Keep hitting a crash on PS4 when trying to enter the Alfthand Aminoculary. As soon as it loads, it goes to autosave and it crashes every fucking time.

Humdinger

I'd miss the Xbox One's access to quest-based mods, were it not for the fact that there is already a ton of content in this game that I'm not going to get to, as it is. I really don't need more.

nashman

Pro users, this game worth picking up for 25 on BF? I played and beat skyrim on PC years ago (gtx760), but I am curious to try this out on the pro. Seems like the game is still glitchy and may have pro issues, but I wonder how much of that actually hampers the "fun" of it all.

Plays great on the pro. 4K looks tight. Haven't noticed any glitches. Framerate has been fine too , people blowing that out of proportion imo.

I bought the original on 360 at launch but didn't really have time to get into it (probably 5 or so hours).

Jumped into the Special Edition on Xbone this weekend and man I've been having a blast. Just playing the vanilla version is really engrossing. Looking forward to trying out mods once I complete the main quest and the add-ons (more like IF I can ever beat them lol).

It is, which is why it can get a bit out of hand when you want to delete things or disable them. While I do like having a mod manager it can still get out of control ar times because of the manual process of having to add them to mod manager on PC. It's happened a lot with me with Bethesda games in the past. Point being regardless of how easy it is on PC to add mods, it's not even close to how convenient and helpful it is to have an inbuilt mod manager and search within the game itself...which the console versions have...since it just cannot get any simpler than this.

????????

The pc version has the same inbuilt mod system. You can even mix and match between them and nexus if you want.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not sure how many hours in now: but my character is level 12; playing a mage - got to winterholden, did a few quests.

Does this game ever just get fun? I feel like I'm going through the motions. Fast travel A, do quest, talk to too many people, do more quests, fight some creatures. Its not really interesting/fun like how Dragons Dogma was to me. The combat mechanics are so shit compared to dragons dogma and the combat is also so dull.

if you're in PC, go install ordinator and apocalypse, makes playing as mage characters good

with that said, the mage-focused questline of the college is downright dumb especially when compared to Oblivion's mage's guild

then again almost every quest in Oblivion is better than Skyrim

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I already own Skyrim. If I purchase all the DLC now will I be upgraded to the Special Edition for free still?

Basically just trying to find the cheapest upgrade path here.

Boss Doggie

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I already own Skyrim. If I purchase all the DLC now will I be upgraded to the Special Edition for free still?

Basically just trying to find the cheapest upgrade path here.

Nope, it was for before they released SE.

nOoblet16

????????

The pc version has the same inbuilt mod system. You can even mix and match between them and nexus if you want.
Oh PC version of special edition has inbuilt mod? That's good. I recall the original requiring an external mod manager.

Anyhow I couldn't get the PC version for free because I never owned any DLC.

Boss Doggie

um, I'm somehow a vampire? How do you cure it? Its really quite annoying now to have stamina in the day.

you probably contracted the disease Sanguinaire Vampiris but didn't realize it

If it's still mild you can cure it with any disease-cure stuff (potions, shrines, a random idiot of Stendarr).

If it has progressed, for cure you go to a random inn (preferably Morthal) and click on rumors until they talk about Falion's expertise in undead. Then you talk to Falion. He will task you to bring a Black Soul Gem with Grand soul in it while meeting up with him at a specific time.

TannerDemoz

Any final say on best armour for a mage build?

I'm thinking of getting rid of my robes and looking at light armour instead once I get my enchanting up. I'm having a lot of fun but the 1 hit KO's are getting really old, especially if I don't have any nearby saves

Just to be clear, you're saying that Mage Armor perk plus Ironflesh (or greater) works well enough? I was debating Mage Armor perks and instead just building up to double-casting Dragonflesh since it can be overcharged without the Mage Armor perks. That way I can still wear a Dragon Mask since wearing one (as light armor) negates the Mage Armor perks entirely.

Also, I'm level 16 with almost to 300 Magica. Once I get 300, I'll start increasing my Health more.

Dual casting alteration spells increases duration, not effectiveness.

Take a look at the graph here:
ehFO8vz.png
It shows how armor affects your physical durability when not wearing any armor pieces.
The formula is: Effective HP = (HP*100)/(100-armor*0.12)
Even Ebonyflesh with all ranks of Mage Armor will only increase your physical durability by 56.25%. Other flesh spells are significantly weaker.

Skunkers

you probably contracted the disease Sanguinaire Vampiris but didn't realize it

If it's still mild you can cure it with any disease-cure stuff (potions, shrines, a random idiot of Stendarr).

If it has progressed, for cure you go to a random inn (preferably Morthal) and click on rumors until they talk about Falion's expertise in undead. Then you talk to Falion. He will task you to bring a Black Soul Gem with Grand soul in it while meeting up with him at a specific time.

Or you can go to the Dawnguard keep; they will happily kill you.

bosseye

Hey GAF, what are the must-have mods on PS4 ?

I've got about 20 installed at the moment, the main ones I can remember:

- Less aggressive animals
- Volumetric fog
- Bigger storms
- More natural conversations
- Better combat AI
- Project Hippy (adds more trees to Whiterun etc - looks really good)
- Weightless dragonbones (I always found it a total hassle to have to clear out my inventory to carry bones off)
- Rich merchants (sick of traders running out of coin when I have a ton of stuff to sell)
- Lamposts
- Lore based loading screens
- Better water
- Water drips etc on clothing
- NPCs ragdoll immediately on death
- More blood and gore
- Higher chance of decapitation (dem heads yo)
- More fallen trees

Others I can't recall.

Couple of seemingly bugs I've noticed ........

Loading up a game, it tells me things are more powerful than compared to what I have equipped (green + numbers), when they aren't. If I take off and re-equip, then it starts showing the correct stats.

Also, I was playing for about an hour and a half, big long journey across northern Skyrim, in and out of buildings and caves, used the inventory a lot, and noticed it was auto saving every so often. I ended up dying on some pedastsl, I assume because I grabbed a dagger on it. Game reloaded, and I was back to my quick save an hour and a half ago. Checked all save files, not a single one available after that point despite it saying it had been auto saving .......

Anyone else have these ? (PS4 version)

Couple of seemingly bugs I've noticed ........

Loading up a game, it tells me things are more powerful than compared to what I have equipped (green + numbers), when they aren't. If I take off and re-equip, then it starts showing the correct stats.

Also, I was playing for about an hour and a half, big long journey across northern Skyrim, in and out of buildings and caves, used the inventory a lot, and noticed it was auto saving every so often. I ended up dying on some pedastsl, I assume because I grabbed a dagger on it. Game reloaded, and I was back to my quick save an hour and a half ago. Checked all save files, not a single one available after that point despite it saying it had been auto saving .......

Anyone else have these ? (PS4 version)

I remember this was in the game in 2011/2012 as well. :p

MaddenNFL64

So just an update: 1.3 beta just released, with some vague patch notes about general stability, and 144hz monitor support.

Decided to check if Vsync was properly implemented now, just in case, and I can say after a bit of testing (new game on the cart ride to helgen is only time i get a real dip), yes it works now. I got dips into the mid 40's or mid 50's then back to 60. The outrageous drops to 60 to 55 then to 30 the next second are gone.

I can't say for sure of course, since the patch notes don't say anything, but on my end it seems that vsync has triple buffering now.

No more rivatuner + borderless window!

edit: jacked game up to ultra w/ max draw distance just to make sure. Solid 52 fps at the head chopping intro lol! Triple buffering is so nice!

I'll probably just install some mods, fuck the trophies. The base game is a bit shit. I mean, to remaster it, they could at least fix the merchants having enough money but nooooo. After I posted, I followed some dog into a dungeon to talk to some god and fought some creatures in a dungeon and I was like "this dungeon feels like the 10 dungeons before it"

was talking to my flatmate last night and I just said "I dont think I like this very much, its really not fun".

mods it is.

So just an update: 1.3 beta just released, with some vague patch notes about general stability, and 144hz monitor support.

So by "144hz monitor support" what they mean is they capped the game to 60fps. The iVSyncPresentInterval ini setting longer unlocks the framerate (for me anyway). I realize the physics is tied to the framerate but I was having no issues with it capped at 96 and with gsync I was enjoying a silky smooth experience. Now it is judder city :(

I beat Skyrim for the first time last week and other than the crashes, I was such a fun experience. skyrim with no mods is noticeably inferior to The Witcher 3 and Fallout New Vegas. However, with PS4 limited mods, it was surprisingly more comparable to Witcher 3 in terms of overall fun factor.

I might buy this again on Switch if that has mod support.

Cmagus

I've put so many hours into this already and it's a pretty good game so far but unfortunately I've hit a bug that has pretty much ruined my build and there is no way to fix it.

I've hit the bug in the quest
Conjuration Ritual Spell
where I can't
summon the Dremora after killing him once
and apparently the only fix is to load an earlier save but the problem is after I killed him I went off to do something else and spent many hours and have leveled a ton since then so now i can no longer obtain master level spells :(

The grind from 60 to 70 is so real lol. Currently at 67. Pickpocket is on Legendary 2, Smithing, Enchanting, Lockpicking and Archery on Legendary 1. Almost there...

Humdinger

67? Damn. I just cracked 50, and things are really slowing down, even with the fast leveling mod. In my original game 5 years ago, I think I topped out somewhere in the upper 30's, iirc. And that was after exhausting just about everything the game had to offer.

I'm not going to play so exhaustively this time, though. I'm just doing the quests that interest me and leaving the rest alone. I'll probably end up with a level somewhere in the mid-50's.

I'm pretty overpowered for most encounters, but that makes them fun. I haven't even started into enchantments yet.

Eusis

I managed to get up to 80. Leveling up alchemy really helped me.
It really is the easiest way to shoot up given you can make stuff with high end ingredients immediately. Been holding off on going legendary with Smithing until I max out enchanting and can make some crazy buffed stuff, then I'll go on that treadmill again.

Top Bottom