• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Oh, is that how it works? Cool, thank you very much! Ohh, one month left :D

Sometimes, maybe in every case(?), publishers/devs pull the season pass from the stores when the last bit of DLC comes out. But by the time of the second release you should be pretty set in knowing if the value is there or not.

Squire

Banned
In short, yes. Details on some of the bosses that I can recall:
You encounter The Keeper (Safe head) at least twice. You can 'kill' him the first time you meet him, but he'll spawn behind Sebastian.

There's Laura, the Ju-on spider hybrid. She's invincible like Ruvik for the majority of your meetings. I remember hearing about her being able to spawn in a similar fashion as Ruvik at any time in the game (from the blood pools of enemies you killed), but that may have been misinformation.

The Sadist, who is essentially the Dr. Salavador from RE4.

A huge spider that chases you throughout the shattered remains of a major city.

Some big, invisible water boss.

Game likely ends with fighting Ruvik.

Awesome! So
how would you handle an encounter with Laura? Can she be killed at all or do you just run away until she halts pursuit?

Thanks for all the answers, btw.

-MD-

I like The Evil Within for the similarity to Resident Evil. Psycho Break however does have that awesome, 80s/90s cheese factor to it that reminds me of Dino Crisis
*sobs*

I too like The Evil Within as a title (could maybe drop "the" from it but works either way), I also prefer Resident Evil over Biohazard.

TEW twitter just posted a webm of this, made it into a gif. I think these are some of the loading screens in the demo.

10b395.gif

Edit: just made it 1 gif instead of 2 so the flashes are less annoying.

Awesome! So
how would you handle an encounter with Laura? Can she be killed at all or do you just run away until she halts pursuit?

Thanks for all the answers, btw.

No problem.

You'll have to run, at least in the first encounter. You can slow her down with gun fire, but IMO it isn't worth it and you'd be further ahead of her by running than trying to turn around (no quick turn) and shoot several rounds into her. If the Ruvik style appearances are true than likely it will be handled the same way where you can run and hide for several seconds until she disappears. I'm going to assume she'll meet a permanent end at some point in the game.

Edit: Correction,
apparently bullets don't do a thing to her in the Ch. 4 encounter.
Thought I saw her stunned slightly in some footage but probably misremembered.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I too like The Evil Within as a title (could maybe drop "the" from it but works either way), I also prefer Resident Evil over Biohazard.

TEW twitter just posted a webm of this, made it into a gif. I think these are some of the loading screens in the demo.

10b395.gif

That's one of the loading screens, yes. Game has quite a few different scenes and some scenes have variations, like in this one, different characters can be standing whims te grating, like Ruvik, Laura, Boxman, Haunted, etc.

Squire

Banned
No problem.

You'll have to run, at least in the first encounter. You can slow her down with gun fire, but IMO it isn't worth it and you'd be further ahead of her by running than trying to turn around (no quick turn) and shoot several rounds into her. If the Ruvik style appearances are true than likely it will be handled the same way where you can run and hide for several seconds until she disappears. I'm going to assume she'll meet a permanent end at some point in the game.

Edit: Correction,
apparently bullets don't do a thing to her in the Ch. 4 encounter.
Thought I saw her stunned slightly in some footage but probably misremembered.

Excellent. Just excellent. One of my favorite things about RE4 is the rubber banding in the ammo drops, so I'm loving all the randomized elements here.

antitrop

10b395.gif

So, best loading screens since Spec Ops.

Dusk Golem

The loading screens were cool in the demo. There were a lot of them, they had 'randomized' elements too, all of them were animated, some in a loop, some slowly developed into something as it loaded.

Something I wouldn't expect to ask before I playe it, anyone want loading screen details from what I recall, or rather keep them a surprise?

Vaiim

I want to join the TEW avatar train, so if anyone fancies messing around with my coffee cup it'd be greatly appreciated!

I am (far too) hyped for this game, hope it turns out amazing, and it gets the attention it deserves. I probably need to tone down my hype levels just in case though, last time I was survival horror hyped, was Amnesia AMfP, and I was seriously disappointed lol. Although before that was ZombiU, and that truly delivered the goods!

Thanks!

Gbraga

I made you a higher quality normal avatar and a TEW one.

sCMi1Xt.png

v3KfAHW.png

:OOOO

Thank you, senpai, why are you so good to me? TT_TT

I don't deserve your love.

For the PC/current gen crowd, which system are you getting it on?

I wish they'd release a PC centric trailer, or in depth look to assuage any porting fears. I love my Kb/m precision, but I really want to make sure it's alright before getting it over the console version.

Which system are y'all rolling with?

I'm going with PC, I have a GTX 680 + i5 3570K. Hoping I can get some good results out of this. If the port is good, I should, but you never know.

I don't need everything maxed out and I'm ok with FXAA, but I really hope I can get 60fps.

Thanks for all the replies, y'all.

Still trying to decide between my rig and a PS4. I got a 680, but I also haven't used my PS4 for much. And trying to figure out if it'll be stable at whatever framerate- Wolfenstein had it's problems on my machine, but I absolutely loved it.

The Last of Us Remastered, inFAMOUS First Light (still didn't play Second Son, waiting on a better deal) and Diablo III are pretty good to give your PS4 some action.

Also, if you're interested in AC Unity, maybe it's worth going with the PS4 version so you don't have to gamble with day one Ubisoft on PC. At least that's what I think I'll be doing.

How does idTech run on AMD GPUs? I'm running with an i5 3570k and a HD7950

I am tempted to get Wolfenstein just to make sure this game will run ok.

I may also double dip on PS4, which would require purchasing a PS4. TEW a system seller??

I want to join the TEW avatar train, so if anyone fancies messing around with my coffee cup it'd be greatly appreciated!

I am (far too) hyped for this game, hope it turns out amazing, and it gets the attention it deserves. I probably need to tone down my hype levels just in case though, last time I was survival horror hyped, was Amnesia AMfP, and I was seriously disappointed lol. Although before that was ZombiU, and that truly delivered the goods!

Thanks!

1GHR25B.jpg

How does idTech run on AMD GPUs? I'm running with an i5 3570k and a HD7950

I am tempted to get Wolfenstein just to make sure this game will run ok.

I may also double dip on PS4, which would require purchasing a PS4. TEW a system seller??

Rage works great on them.

Now. At launch it was a clusterfuck. I've heard bad stories about Wolfenstein, but I haven't really researched it. Eitherway, I just had a smooth as babyshit launch with Dead Rising 3 on my AMD card, while the Nvidia guys had a bit of a nightmare, so we're probably due this one being a trainwreck.

Still, generally within a day or two you'll have a specific driver version that works, with a few ini tweaks to get everything good. So I'm not reconsidering getting this on PC or anything crazy.

Rage works great on them.

Now. At launch it was a clusterfuck. I've heard bad stories about Wolfenstein, but I haven't really researched it. Eitherway, I just had a smooth as babyshit launch with Dead Rising 3 on my AMD card, while the Nvidia guys had a bit of a nightmare, so we're probably due this one being a trainwreck.

Still, generally within a day or two you'll have a specific driver version that works, with a few ini tweaks to get everything good. So I'm not reconsidering getting this on PC or anything crazy.

Thanks. Yeah, I dealt with the terrible pc port of Deadly Premonition and even played about half of it without the Durante fix, so I think I can withstand a few fps drops. I checked a couple AMD threads, and am hoping to be ok to run this with mostly high textures at 1080p.

Raptor

Did a saw a .gif of a headshot and the brains got splattered on a wall on the right like a meter away?

Or I was dreaming?

xezuru

If this is disappointing (which I see less than a 10% chance of in my book)
I'll make an avatar of a match setting our evil within avatars aflame.

No chance it will be disappointing. We know it will be good - the only question remains is how good?

I wonder if GameInformer will release some new gameplay footage for this since they had some for Alien Isolation. I'm pretty sure we will get something at TGS, though.

djshauny

Banned
Holy crap this thread is picking up now. Good shit.

Anyone in the UK who orders from ShopTo can now get £5 off if they order from now and 10th October.

Survival horror is back! Releasing on October 14th, from the creator of the Resident Evil series, Evil Within will be available for PS4, PS3, XBOX ONE, XBOX 360 & PC!
We are now running a special promotion right up until October 10th against all pre-orders for this title! When pre-ordering with us, you will be automatically eligible for £5 discount against the current listed price on the site. This new price will be automatically reflected in your 'PRE-ORDER' section once placed.

If you have already pre-ordered the title though, no reason to cancel and re-place it. Your pre-order price will automatically update to the new price including the discount in your 'PRE-ORDER' section.
Get your pre order in now to secure The Fighting Chance DLC Pack.

AsfaeksBR

Started playing F.E.A.R. as a preparation, because people always say it's a creepy game.
Holy moly, that game is unsettling! What a great atmosphere and sound design!
If TEW sound design is as good as people are saying it is, I'm sure itwill add a lot to the game's atmosphere!

xezuru

Started playing F.E.A.R. as a preparation, because people always say it's a creepy game.
Holy moly, that game is unsettling! What a great atmosphere and sound design!
If TEW sound design is as good as people are saying it is, I'm sure itwill add a lot to the game's atmosphere!

I played FEAR 1 at a friends house when it was first hot and new, I was a counter strike head so listening to footsteps and sounds all around was super natural, man does that game fuck with you with all it's sick sound design... also...

Slick kick -> Slo Mo -> Shotgun face straight up -> Nailgun -> Nail head to roof.

The Best.

MrBlonde

Is there an easy difficulty or is normal the lowest? this sounds like the type of game that I want but also sounds like I could get frustrated with it even on normal.

That head disapeared.....and the pieceof brain got on a wall like a meter away......

:)......... "drools"
Seriously.... this game is going to provide the digital chubs when it comes to enemy reaction and animations.

Any guesses when this is going to go GOLD? I'm saying next week!

Dusk Golem

Seriously.... this game is going to provide the digital chubs when it comes to enemy reaction and animations.

Any guesses when this is going to go GOLD? I'm saying next week!
Before September 22nd, as that's apparently when my Xbox One is being shipped out and I want to believe a copy of the game is coming with it.
My hopes and dreams will be crushed.

Before September 22nd, as that's apparently when my Xbox One is being shipped out and I want to believe a copy of the game is coming with it.
My hopes and dreams will be crushed.

I would like to wish that was the case for you as well, but I'd have thought they would at least tell you that if so. :D Still, having that system is pretty awesome. I saw a pic of someone with one on twitter. Looked great.

Top Bottom