• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
"Hey, you got a extremely rare xbox one console... be fucking happy" or something like that I imagine being said. LOL.
I'll be fucking happy an am with just the console, saves me expenses and I wasn't going to be able to get one for budget for a while.

...Buuuut also this is my most anticipated game right now, and a chance to play it early would be bliss as already the last few weeks have been going slowly for me, and I crave to play the whole thing. I'll wait like everyone else of course, but I can dream.

I already bought three copies from Steam, so I have the game regardless, just... Y'know.

I'll be fucking happy an am with just the console, saves me expenses and I wasn't going to be able to get one for budget for a while.

...Buuuut also this is my most anticipated game right now, and a chance to play it early would be bliss as already the last few weeks have been going slowly for me, and I crave to play the whole thing. I'll wait like everyone else of course, but I can dream.

I already bought three copies from Steam, so I have the game regardless, just... Y'know.

Oh I undestand completely. No knock on you. Just trying to think from a corperate perspetive. At this point I'm happy to have a TEW signed poster I won months ago for makig that box head costume. Hope you take some good pictures of it and post when you can. Will you be back at that time to receive it? I recall you mentioning you were going out of state or something of that nature. Also I feel you as well. Have 4 copies bought. PS4, Xbox one, PS4 LE and PS3 LE (a different one)

AsfaeksBR

"Hey, you got a extremely rare xbox one console... be fucking happy" or something like that I imagine being said. LOL.

Probably they thought "If we release without the game, we can sell the console or the normal price. If we add the game, we'll need to sell it for more"...

antitrop

Can someone evilify my avatar pls? :)

If you give me some time, I can make a transparent version of your original and one with a TEW logo if you want.

CTqQCfg.jpg

lol nevermind, good thing i refreshed

Amir0x

Banned
I am finally starting to come around and get excited for this game. Before I was sort of stand offish but now... it's starting to explode on my hype list.

AsfaeksBR

In the "Aesthetically pleasing boxarts" thread, I just posted The Evil Within backcover that was voted by the community.
I remember that I liked and voted for this image, but I hadn't seen the final boxart yet. And my God, it is beautiful!

29 days to go!

Eurocult

I'm on the hype train in a big way. I'm buying it on PS4 first, already pre-ordered on PSN actually, and then picking it up on PC for the IQ upgrade.

Only one month away! I haven't been this excited for any game in years.

In the "Aesthetically pleasing boxarts" thread, I just posted The Evil Within backcover that was voted by the community.
I remember that I liked and voted for this image, but I hadn't seen the final boxart yet. And my God, it is beautiful!

29 days to go!

Shit, that is gorgeous. Reminds me of the Wolf TNO cover.

You know, after stuff like Watch Dogs and Destiny and even Titanfall failed to meet the high expectations, it would be really great to see something like this actually come out and blow minds. I know it's a horror game so the excitement isn't going to have the reach of those games, but they're not pretending like this is the second coming of Christ but rather just, you know, a videogame and I'm always humbled by that. It doesn't have corporate shenanigans written all over it and frankly a success story from a game that didn't have to whore itself out would be a good thing right now, at least in my opinion.

However, stuff like this and Bayonetta 2 are likely going to be heavily shafted when it comes to sales and exposure because they're not being developed by industry prostitutes. Sorry. I'm a little drunk and my feelings are really coming out. *hugs*

Gaf, I don't wanna be THAT guy, but remember to temper your hype. I know this is Mikami, but everyone can make mistakes and we don't know what happens inside the studios.

I was one of the people who thought Bungie could do no wrong, lol.

Gaf, I don't wanna be THAT guy, but remember to temper your hype. I know this is Mikami, but everyone can make mistakes and we don't know what happens inside the studios.

THERE IS LITERALLY NO POSSIBLE WAY THIS GAME WON'T BE THE SINGLE BEST CREATION EVER TO GRACE THE PLANET EARTH AND I WON'T HEAR ANYTHING OTHERWISE. MIKAMI IS GOD AND WE ARE BUT HIS HUMBLE SERVANTS.

sutherlandscream.gif

Gbraga

I'm on the hype train in a big way. I'm buying it on PS4 first, already pre-ordered on PSN actually, and then picking it up on PC for the IQ upgrade.

Only one month away! I haven't been this excited for any game in years.

Fuck it, I'm getting both too, I'll preload it on both PS4 and PC and start playing on PC, if the port is fucked I'll just keep playing the PS4 version and then will replay on PC at harder difficulties when (if?) they patch it.

You know, after stuff like Watch Dogs and Destiny and even Titanfall failed to meet the high expectations, it would be really great to see something like this actually come out and blow minds. I know it's a horror game so the excitement isn't going to have the reach of those games, but they're not pretending like this is the second coming of Christ but rather just, you know, a videogame and I'm always humbled by that. It doesn't have corporate shenanigans written all over it and frankly a success story from a game that didn't have to whore itself out would be a good thing right now, at least in my opinion.

However, stuff like this and Bayonetta 2 are likely going to be heavily shafted when it comes to sales and exposure because they're not being developed by industry prostitutes. Sorry. I'm a little drunk and my feelings are really coming out. *hugs*

Well, the media is also expressing disappointment with those hugely hyped games, so maybe when GOTY awards time comes, those games will be remembered.

Unless they also suck, then we're screwed.

I know what you mean, but this is actually winning me over with more info, instead of being just blind hype. In fact, even though it was always a day one purchase to me because Mikami, for quite some time I thought every single demo looked like shit. Too much scripted slow walking crap and not enough gameplay. Not to mention the absolutely terrible framerate, it was so bad that, even though everyone knew those things get ironed out further on, we were still worried.

It was only after people from the community got to play and talk about it here that I actually got excited for the game. And now I'm totally feeling the Mikami.

-MD-

I've seen and heard enough to already know that I'll like it. How much I'll like it will be decided after I finish the game.

I definitely didn't fall for that Destiny hype though lol, that game looked piss boring from the jump.

Can someone evilfy my avatar,

I'm down for the cause.

Thanks in advance!

Someone hook this guy up, i'm no good at it. Need to brush up on my photoshop skills.

Well, the media is also expressing disappointment with those hugely hyped games, so maybe when GOTY awards time comes, those games will be remembered.

I honestly don't know that it matters. I think the big guns will still take those away regardless because it's what people want to hear, and the Last of Us will still somehow win all the awards despite it just being a remaster.

Mikami is all that matters. He is the arbiter of quality. He was the reason RE1.5 never came out, and the reason all the versions of RE4 that weren't the best game ever made didn't end up being the version we got to play.

He is the reason why we haven't played Zwei, and the reason why The Evil Within is going to kick severe ass.

Believe.

xezuru

I'm secretly waiting for a certain someone who's posted to ask for an Eviler avatar, cause theirs randomly gave me an idea. Too bad hue.

I will have my apartment to myself pretty much the entire month of October, meaning I get to play this in total darkness and silence with no interruptions. Ohhh man now I'm really glad it was delayed.

I would say that I'm approaching Slasher levels of hype for this, but that's likely incorrect. I'm still like, real fuckin' hyped though. This, Bayonetta 2, Dragon Age 3 are my most anticipated games for the rest of the year with Evil Within currently leading the charge.

In some ways it feels like we're about to get a new, lasting horror franchise that's a lot of Resident Evil and some Silent Hill thrown in for good measure. That's incredibly exciting to me. I don't hate the new RE games and I'm one of the few that accepted the Silent Hill games post The Room, but I'm more about games that are confident in what they are.

Resident Evil 5 took the mold that RE4 established and ran with it, and RE6 took that and transformed it into its own thing-- which some liked and many hated. I actually loved playing RE6, but it wasn't what I wanted out of the series. I think the newer Silent Hill games are pretty good. I didn't care much for Origins because I thought it was too in your face about Alessa's history, but I thought Shattered Memories was an interesting game, Homecoming was pretty good, and I loved Downpour.

But The Evil Within feels like a fresh new slate without any trappings. Its clearly inspired by a lot of things, and it looks to have action, but the action looks very horrifying and horror-inspired. Chases, being sucked into spinning blades-- all of that qualifies to me as good action-horror, and Mikami knows what he's doing. At the same time the atmosphere looks superb, the art direction and enemy designs are stunningly creepy and gothic, and the story seems super intriguing.

It may not turn out to be much, but I don't believe that.

AsfaeksBR

I remember reading a news of some people at Capcom saying they would take TLoU as an inspiration on how to make Resident Evil 7 better.

But from what we've seen, The Evil Within would be a much better inspiration for Capcom!
It's like Shinki is saying "THis is what RE5 would have been if I was making it!"

Top Bottom