• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would say that I'm approaching Slasher levels of hype for this, but that's likely incorrect. I'm still like, real fuckin' hyped though. This, Bayonetta 2, Dragon Age 3 are my most anticipated games for the rest of the year with Evil Within currently leading the charge.

In some ways it feels like we're about to get a new, lasting horror franchise that's a lot of Resident Evil and some Silent Hill thrown in for good measure. That's incredibly exciting to me. I don't hate the new RE games and I'm one of the few that accepted the Silent Hill games post The Room, but I'm more about games that are confident in what they are.

Resident Evil 5 took the mold that RE4 established and ran with it, and RE6 took that and transformed it into its own thing-- which some liked and many hated. I actually loved playing RE6, but it wasn't what I wanted out of the series. I think the newer Silent Hill games are pretty good. I didn't care much for Origins because I thought it was too in your face about Alessa's history, but I thought Shattered Memories was an interesting game, Homecoming was pretty good, and I loved Downpour.

But The Evil Within feels like a fresh new slate without any trappings. Its clearly inspired by a lot of things, and it looks to have action, but the action looks very horrifying and horror-inspired. Chases, being sucked into spinning blades-- all of that qualifies to me as good action-horror, and Mikami knows what he's doing. At the same time the atmosphere looks superb, the art direction and enemy designs are stunningly creepy and gothic, and the story seems super intriguing.

It may not turn out to be much, but I don't believe that.

If we only get our pride in the end then TEW will show us why. I wouldn't give it to anyone else. We're also a generation who grew up with PS1 survival horror. I'd take any complaints towards controls with a grain of salt. There's a lot of different methods to combat and strategy.

I don't think we'll get a lot of "remember this, here's a screenshot of RE2, and that's why this is done right". I think we fear it being judged on this pallet of white and brim. It doesn't need to have all the ribbons and trophies, just a good experience and ride through Mikami's vision of the game period.

Nemesis_

I didn't care much for Origins because I thought it was too in your face about Alessa's history,

I didn't mind Origins until I realised that it pretty much didn't really understand how Silent Hill worked and threw a lot of the traditions out of the window (ie. not showing the face of dead people).

Then I did some thinking and realised the entire game was based on a fallacious non sequitur and that the events of the game weren't even possible. It's just one of the only post-4 games that didn't understand any of the subject matter it dealt with, which is to be assumed since it's the only one that attempts to have direct ties to the original games. I can take or leave Downpour, Homecoming and Shattered Memories because they don't really impact the overarching storyline much. Not to mention that forced relationship between Lisa and Kauffman.

But Origins, yeesh. Just a dumb mess.

This, Bayonetta 2, Dragon Age 3 are my most anticipated games for the rest of the year with Evil Within currently leading the charge

I'm looking forward to a lot of games this year but I was wondering whether or not Bayonetta 2 or Evil Within was my most anticipated. After some careful thoughts, I think Evil Within trumps Bayonetta 2. I know what I'm getting with Bayonetta 2, it'll be a fantastic action game.

Evil Within will be (hopefully) an entirely original experience that taps into a genre I love and one that I feel like hasn't been substantially explored for a long time. We've had generic horror that nail atmosphere but still employ shitty jump scares (Outlast, P.T., Slender) but I feel like we haven't really had anything like what TEW is purported to offer.

I would say that I'm approaching Slasher levels of hype for this, but that's likely incorrect. I'm still like, real fuckin' hyped though. This, Bayonetta 2, Dragon Age 3 are my most anticipated games for the rest of the year with Evil Within currently leading the charge.

In some ways it feels like we're about to get a new, lasting horror franchise that's a lot of Resident Evil and some Silent Hill thrown in for good measure. That's incredibly exciting to me. I don't hate the new RE games and I'm one of the few that accepted the Silent Hill games post The Room, but I'm more about games that are confident in what they are.

Resident Evil 5 took the mold that RE4 established and ran with it, and RE6 took that and transformed it into its own thing-- which some liked and many hated. I actually loved playing RE6, but it wasn't what I wanted out of the series. I think the newer Silent Hill games are pretty good. I didn't care much for Origins because I thought it was too in your face about Alessa's history, but I thought Shattered Memories was an interesting game, Homecoming was pretty good, and I loved Downpour.

But The Evil Within feels like a fresh new slate without any trappings. Its clearly inspired by a lot of things, and it looks to have action, but the action looks very horrifying and horror-inspired. Chases, being sucked into spinning blades-- all of that qualifies to me as good action-horror, and Mikami knows what he's doing. At the same time the atmosphere looks superb, the art direction and enemy designs are stunningly creepy and gothic, and the story seems super intriguing.

It may not turn out to be much, but I don't believe that.

You know, I've been a huge advocate for this game on my youtube channel going back months ago. To say that I'm super excited would be to say the least. This is the first time I think I've done what felt like PR work when really just doing what I've done as a passion for the ideas behind this and the team that made TEW. They have a vision that looks absolutely amazing to me. From preview videos, to analyzing the demo, showcases new screenshots, doing the top 5 reasons why survival horror needs The Evil Within, doing avatars for folks, etc. I've just run the gamut at this point. The only thing I've NOT be able to do is actually get my hands on a demo anywhere, which is unfortunate. At this point, I'll I can do is talk to people, help them with their avatars, answers questions and sit and wait like everyone else, but at this point this HAS to be the most I've talked up, hyped, gotten excited about game on GAF. It feels good. If I walk away from the game disappointed, I guess I only have myself to blame, but I don't think I will. While I'm excited and about as hyped as one person could be, I'm not thinking visions of grandeur here, just a extremely well done survival horror, disturbing, gory, action/adventure game and I think I'll still be pleasantly surprised what's in store.

The wait is too intense for me, and I've done what I can to help spread the word of TEW and will continue to do so, were almost there... almost there.

antitrop

I'm looking forward to a lot of games this year but I was wondering whether or not Bayonetta 2 or Evil Within was my most anticipated. After some careful thoughts, I think Evil Within trumps Bayonetta 2. I know what I'm getting with Bayonetta 2, it'll be a fantastic action game.

Is the version of Bayonetta 1 that is coming packed in any way enhanced over the 360 version?

xezuru

Is the version of Bayonetta 1 that is coming packed in any way enhanced over the 360 version?

I believe solid native 1080p 60fps, and some minor additions like nintendo costumes, don't believe there's any new playable content or anything. Just fully optimized for the console.

Nemesis_

It's a port of the 360 version. Developed by Bee Tribe, supervised by Kamiya. It includes touch controls for the lay, as well as extra costumes based on Nintendo properties.

Peach's costume for Bayonetta allows her to summon Bowser in place of the usual infernal demon - it also replaces all Halos (the currency) with coins from Mario.

Samus's costume allows her to turn her visor on or off, as well as use the morph ball to evade attacks and the arm cannon to attack.

Link's costume replaces all Halos with rupees, allows her to wield the Master Sword and changes sound effects in the game to match Zelda game (ie. unlocking a door etc.)

Superficial stuff, but still a nice touch.

The wait is too intense for me, and I've done what I can to help spread the word of TEW and will continue to do so, were almost there... almost there.

I didn't realise it was only three weeks. There's so many games I've got to play between now and then (in terms of releases) so the wait should not be that bad I hope.

If we only get our pride in the end then TWE will show us why. I wouldn't give it to anyone else. We're also a generation who grew up with PS1 survival horror. I'd take any complaints towards controls with a grain of salt. There's a lot of different methods to combat and strategy.

In an age where people don't know how to play fucking videogames anymore, it won't be hard for me to ignore criticisms about that. I'm not a great gamer by any stretch, I don't set records, I don't do speedruns, I don't even really master any games. But here lately, I mean I get through stuff like Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Tropical Freeze, Skyward Sword... and all I see are people complaining about not being able to play or understand those. I'm not saying they're all super easy, but for me they're incredibly easy to understand. I have friends that are my age that had trouble controlling the bird in Skyward Sword and because of that gave up on the game. These sorts of things confuse me-- and I promise that's the most putting it mildly comment I will make all year.

I think a lot of people just want to play easy, no-brainer shit anymore. It's like why Transformers makes so much money. You can go to those movies with a "fuck it" mentality and just enjoy yourself for a bit without any commitment at all. I can enjoy that sort of thing too, but I know it's throwaway entertainment. I keep thinking about movies like How to Train Your Dragon 2 or Days of Future Past while Age of Extinction came and went because there wasn't anything to it. I sort of liken this to videogames. The Evil Within feels like that horror product that is actually legit, but it's not mainstream enough to make a splash.

I like things with layers to them. I haven't played the game yet, but just watching footage of this, I'm seeing all sorts of things going on. I'm seeing shooting mechanics, stealth, and some strategy involved, and unlike The Last of Us, it all feels very organic; that game was underwhelming to me because all the enemy encounters were telegraphed and bunched together. I never felt a sense of fear in that game because you were either... fighting enemies or... not fighting enemies. There was never an in-between. That game would have been loads better if you were just strolling along without knowing when a clicker would ambush you. Instead they were all grouped together, the level design would scream "hey here's some waist high barriers you can conveniently duck behind, I wonder what's about to happen!"

I don't get that out of this game though, at least not what I've seen from it. In fact it all looked extremely varied and unpredictable to me.

xezuru

Huh... Black Friday WiiU deal sounding better and better all the time...

But I'm still upset about that guy telling me I don't deserve Bayonetta 2, because I undervalue the WiiU. :(

If I had a WiiU, I would jump on so hard, I had to play the PS3 port at launch which I got half way through an Pure Plat infinite climax run before mentally snapping. And Bayo COMES with Bayo 2 Shiyuuuuut.

I didn't realise it was only three weeks. There's so many games I've got to play between now and then (in terms of releases) so the wait should not be that bad I hope.

The problem being that I just can't get my mind off it. Sure I'm playing Destiny, sure I'm playing other games, but it's like... "Nope... this isn't TEW!" My brain just won't turn off at this point. :p

Do it.

Also pick up a copy of ZombiU.

Good man! I only own a few Wii U games. Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3d worlds, Windwaker, Mario Kart, DzkC TF and ZombiU!t OH yes!

Just hoping it doesn't come with spoilers, like unreveiled enemies, places, dream sequences and all that.

I actually think this one will have quite a few spoilers in it (new locations, new enemies and some new story info). I can see them not holding back...

That's why I've gotta stay strong and not give in and watch it! All of your reactions to it should satisfy me enough.
Your reactions won't satisfy me : (

Amir0x

Banned
The main things I'm looking for with Evil Within is as follows:

How much content is there? One of the best things about RE4 is that no matter how great it is, it just keeps going on and on being great. It is persistently great for a longer period of time than most single player games ever are. It'd be nice to hear Evil Within is packed and is a long game.

I hear that the scares are randomized, but I'm not sure if that's interspersed with more solidly designed predictable segments. I don't want the jump scares to start feeling cheap (i.e. oh i know they're going to put some thing to randomly pop out at me in this building somewhere, *yawn*. As if there's a handful of preset types of scares that keep repeating or something in each area every time I play).

I also hope the enemy types are engaging. I loved the variety of enemies in RE4, lots of interesting fun ways to pop them open. Hope for similarly visceral shooting in Evil Within. Judging by the limited media I saw, it seems I can at least feel safe thinking this is cool. I try to keep on a blackout mostly so it's hard to evaluate the game right now

How much content is there? One of the best things about RE4 is that no matter how great it is, it just keeps going on and on being great. It is persistently great for a longer period of time than most single player games ever are. It'd be nice to hear Evil Within is packed and is a long game.

I hear that the scares are randomized, but I'm not sure if that's interspersed with more solidly designed predictable segments. I don't want the jump scares to start feeling cheap (i.e. oh i know they're going to put some thing to randomly pop out at me in this building somewhere, *yawn*. As if there's a handful of preset types of scares that keep repeating or something in each area every time I play).

I also hope the enemy types are engaging. I loved the variety of enemies in RE4, lots of interesting fun ways to pop them open. Hope for similarly visceral shooting in Evil Within. Judging by the limited media I saw, it seems I can at least feel safe thinking this is cool. I try to keep on a blackout mostly so it's hard to evaluate the game right now

Not sure if you read the information from Game Informers 5 hour preview but honestly it sounds just like that really.

Amir0x

Banned
Not sure if you read the information from Game Informers 5 hour preview but honestly it sounds just like that really.

what aspect sounds just like what? :p

(no I didn't read Game Informer preview. I've been trying to be on a blackout, that's why I was being razor focused on my questions above. no real spoilers possible with those questions)

Gbraga

I feel like the randomized aspect isn't as much to scare you as it is to keep you tense and focused, you never know when and where enemies will show up, or even how many of them. Also that dude that stalks you appearing in the middle of a hard encounter would be tense as hell.

I'm not a big fan of randomized game design though, so I hope most encounters are handcrafted. If a speed run of a game depends on your luck (I've seen reports of the same section having both none and several enemies), I think I have a problem with that game's design.

Gbraga

What if I told you I loved the Missile Ride in Bayonetta? I think TW101 is for me.

I pick up what the man puts down. We vibe.

ZT3n26z.gif

That was shit, please stop liking it.

Mupod

I'm concerned about this, myself. After RE4 and God Hand I was so convinced that Vanquish would have tons of unlockables and post-game stuff that I was telling people not to worry about it. I still love the game, but I can't lie about being disappointed in how much of it there was. Even though I replayed it a shit ton.

TEW seems to be a different case. They've brought up unlockables and such multiple times in interviews. No clue how long it'll be, but I'll be playing it my usual methodical way on hard mode. I think it took me longer to beat RE4 my first time than most, I was over 30 hours somehow.

This is stuff I'm actively avoiding information on. I don't want to know about this shit, I learned my lesson from Eternal Darkness where websites/magazines were tripping all over themselves at the chance to spoil every single sanity effect. But from what I can tell, the randomness is heavily based around enemy placements. Which is significantly more interesting to me, actually. The randomness element is a big part of why STALKER is so goddamn scary.

Trying to stay dark on enemies too. I have a weird combination of hope and dread that there's an 'oh god I just want to ALT+F4/shut off the damn console' enemy like Regenerators.

Gbraga

I'm concerned about this, myself. After RE4 and God Hand I was so convinced that Vanquish would have tons of unlockables and post-game stuff that I was telling people not to worry about it. I still love the game, but I can't lie about being disappointed in how much of it there was. Even though I replayed it a shit ton.

TEW seems to be a different case. They've brought up unlockables and such multiple times in interviews. No clue how long it'll be, but I'll be playing it my usual methodical way on hard mode. I think it took me longer to beat RE4 my first time than most, I was over 30 hours somehow.

This is stuff I'm actively avoiding information on. I don't want to know about this shit, I learned my lesson from Eternal Darkness where websites/magazines were tripping all over themselves at the chance to spoil every single sanity effect. But from what I can tell, the randomness is heavily based around enemy placements. Which is significantly more interesting to me, actually. The randomness element is a big part of why STALKER is so goddamn scary.

Trying to stay dark on enemies too. I have a weird combination of hope and dread that there's an 'oh god I just want to ALT+F4/shut off the damn console' enemy like Regenerators.

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR

Sorry, I always react to Nihei appreciation.

September 30th for the US, that's what the Steam store page says.

Wow, really? Bethesda pls don't forget Brazil.

Amir0x

Banned

If it's 12 hours long on average I'll be happy. The way I play a game that'll probably mean it's like 30 hours for me :D

Eternal Darkness ruined itself as far as I am concerned. Within an hour I was intentionally trying to make my sanity go down so I could just see the next canned nonsense effect. Honestly I thought that whole game was poorly designed, like an excuse for carnival sideshow parlor trick delivery. "Wow, look the volume on my tv is going down! How delightfully clever!" It's not really very clever when you realize the whole point of the game is to try to trick you when you lose your sanity. They needed a much more severe penalty for walking around with shit sanity.

I don't want to know the type of scares, though. Only if they're designed in such a way to really feel unique, or if there's a handful of canned repeat scare scenarios that they just randomly put at different areas to mix things up. Like, that would be a lot less interesting to me.

what aspect sounds just like what? :p

(no I didn't read Game Informer preview. I've been trying to be on a blackout, that's why I was being razor focused on my questions above. no real spoilers possible with those questions)

Sorry on my phone. Basically from the preview he mentions it seems very polished, very well paced while changing gameplay moments constantly yet doesn't feel like they just forced it. If that makes sense.

Mupod

Doesn't this game release on the 14th? Isn't that closer to 3 weeks rather than 2?

Also since Kamiya popped up, I'm playing through TW101 right now.

Me too. I got it at (NA) launch but forget why I stopped. Probably because I started FF14 around that time.

I cleared operation 7 last night and I'm having a blast. I feel like the game is too much for me sometimes even though I'm pretty sure I got a handle on the mechanics. Picking it back up after (almost exactly) a year hiatus was a bit rough at first but I adapted quickly. Saur's videos helped a lot, which is funny because that guy's the reason I bought God Hand at release.

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR

Sorry, I always react to Nihei appreciation.

I always figured people just assumed it's a xenomorph, but I change avatars so damn often I guess I need to stop

AsfaeksBR

After the game is released, when should we change our Avatars?

And it's 00:04 in Brazil right now, so 28 days to go!

Arklite

Well I sure hope the PC version turns out to be good because I over excitedly spent money without realizing we've seen nothing of the PC port.

Top Bottom