• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Grief.exe

I would so preorder this but knowing my PC it will run like ass.
Mind you I have a good PC but Wolfenstein runs like garbage for example.

Reading the XBO version is in good shape I will get that one.

Apparently this is a heavily modified version of IDtech5, so hopefully that comes with some optimizations.

...of course this is a Japanese studio. Historically speaking, they tend to produce some terrible ports and have strange outlooks on what a good PC port should be. Platinum locking Rising to 1080p/60 FPS for example.

It was compared to Resident Evil (REmake), Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill. With maybe a touch of F.E.A.R..

That's quite the pedigree.

derFeef

Apparently this is a heavily modified version of IDtech5, so hopefully that comes with some optimizations.

...of course this is a Japanese studio. Historically speaking, they tend to produce some terrible ports and have strange outlooks on what a good PC port should be. Platinum locking Rising to 1080p/60 FPS for example.

I'll gladly wait for impressions from AMD users. It does not matter to me what the source is, PC or XBO, as I am playing this on my TV anyway. But I want it to run smooth.

Mupod

Avoid watching trailer, end up inadvertently watching trailer in gif form on GAF.

Anyways, hoping to have a GTX 980 to play this on. I'm sure my 580 would do just fine regardless, unless this is some kind of catastrophe like dead rising 3.

My roommate's son was surprisingly looking forward to this, and preordered along with me with the Greenman code. I then told him that he sucks for having never played RE4 and to rectify that immediately.

Grief.exe

Avoid watching trailer, end up inadvertently watching trailer in gif form on GAF.

Anyways, hoping to have a GTX 980 to play this on. I'm sure my 580 would do just fine regardless, unless this is some kind of catastrophe like dead rising 3.

My roommate's son was surprisingly looking forward to this, and preordered along with me with the Greenman code. I then told him that he sucks for having never played RE4 and to rectify that immediately.

I could easily run this game on my 560s, but I should have a 970 by this time as well.

AsfaeksBR

It was compared to Resident Evil (REmake), Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill. With maybe a touch of F.E.A.R..

I showed my friend the trailer a few hours ago, and he said this too.
"Oh wow, amazing. it looks like RE4, with the ambients kind of RE1 like and the atmosphere of Silent Hill. And there's a kid in the trailer, so it may be a bit like F.E.A.R."

antitrop

Seems Mikami will raise the bar once again. He just seems to understand game design like no one else.

I was watching the IGN video with Kamiya yesterday, and in it he mentions how one of the things he took away from Mikami-san was the idea that a game director should take the high points of the game and make them greater, not necessarily focusing too much on smoothing out the low points.

Guess that's why many people see "jank" in The Evil Within, while we see genius.

Raptor

I was watching the IGN video with Kamiya yesterday, and in it he mentions how one of the things he took away from Mikami-san was the idea that a game director should take the high points of the game and make them greater, not necessarily focusing too much on smoothing out the low points.

Guess that's why many people see "jank" in The Evil Within, while we see genius.

No I think thats why "gunplay/gameplay" in Vanquish is the best of its kind while everything else is garbage including killing enemies, he focused way too much on the act of controlling and shooting that he didn't thought about adding lots of gore and blood, good thing he came back to his senses with EW.

:p

antitrop

I showed my friend the trailer a few hours ago, and he said this too.
"Oh wow, amazing. it looks like RE4, with the ambients kind of RE1 like and the atmosphere of Silent Hill. And there's a kid in the trailer, so it may be a bit like F.E.A.R."
With a whole fucking lot of Jigsaw and Saw thrown in there.

in the new trailer, Ruvik claims to know Sebastian even better than he knows himself, very much like Jigsaw and how he tests his victims to help them discover their true self. Not to mention all the obvious traps and shit

Grief.exe

This is the type of game I will likely play with my headphones off and still on the stand.

Scary games with phenomenal sound design plus the sound stage and positional accuracy of good headphones just makes it a little too real.

I have found taking my headphones off tones down the intensity.

antitrop

No I think thats why "gunplay/gameplay" in Vanquish is the best of its kind while everything else is garbage including killing enemies, he focused way too much on the act of controlling and shooting that he didn't thought about adding lots of gore and blood, good thing he came back to his senses with EW.

:p

Vanquish's gore is the Havok physics and the scrap metal flying out of the robots. It's the reason the game is 30fps. You better appreciate that.

Sanctuary

This is the type of game I will likely play with my headphones off and still on the stand.

Scary games with phenomenal sound design plus the sound stage and positional accuracy of good headphones just makes it a little too real.

Wow, what a way to miss out on much of the experience. Did you play the first Dead Space this way too?

-MD-

Intensity is what I'm looking for in a game like this, I want to feel exhausted when I'm done playing.

Outlast offers this type of experience if you haven't played that game yet..

While it def does, it lacks the means to fight back whatsoever. My main issue with that game and others like it. I'm not saying to make me Rambo, but "something" would be nice for defense. Otherwise I did enjoy the experience.

antitrop

While it def does, it lacks the means to fight back whatsoever. My main issue with that game and others like it. I'm not saying to make me Rambo, but "something" would be nice for defense. Otherwise I did enjoy the experience.

Yup, Outlast and Amnesia aren't survival horror games, because you never really overcome any obstacles.

If the Amnesia monster touches you, absolutely nothing happens. You just wake up and it's gone and you continue about your way. I just ruined Amnesia for everyone, sorry. But everyone discovers that the first time you fuck up. Amnesia is game that is scary for 5 minutes, until you figure out its gimmick. At least Outlast has more than that.

But hey, goes over well with the YouTube crowds. I look for something more in my games.

antitrop

I played the first Dead Space through speakers, which achieves the same effect as removing my headphones.

I played Dead Space through my tinny TV speakers, but it was still my GOTY 2008. I played Dead Space 2 with a sick surround setup and it was incredible.

Mupod

Dead Space was the first game I ever played with good headphones - my trusty HD555s that I still have to this day. I almost couldn't deal with it at first.

Meanwhile, my friend played it at the college in the cafeteria. On a laptop, with the sound off, on easy. He told me it wasn't scary and I arnoldglare.gif'd at him.

xezuru

Can I get the avatar treatment, friends?

HTafqZx.png

EDIT: Oh god maybe I gotta lay off the barbwire these days... getting stuck on one track
lbJUEtf.png

I admit I wasn't too enthused by what I saw earlier but the new trailer is promising. I'll wait for the reviews but this may be worthy of consideration now.

Seems the new trailer is doing wonders for folks that were apprehensive and just confirming to the believers that this is totally going to rock!

Pyro.

The added claustrophobia of wearing headphones while in a dark room playing a scary game like this is too much. Gotta go with the surround sound. Thankfully I'm in a house, so I can crank it up.

AsfaeksBR

i'm playing through F.E.A.R. (and I'll probably heda onto the DLC's and the sequels later) as a preparation for The Evil Within..
But only now I've realized that I'm also reading horror books too.
First I've read "Pet Semetary", by Stephen King.
Then, "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison.
And now I'm halfway through "It", also by Stephen King, and it's probably the most disturbing one so far.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
i'm playing through F.E.A.R. (and I'll probably heda onto the DLC's and the sequels later) as a preparation for The Evil Within..
And now I'm halfway through "It", also by Stephen King, and it's probably the most disturbing one so far.
Play Extraction Point DLC for F.E.A.R. Has better horror elements than the original game in my opinion, 3-5 hours long and I'd say worth playing.

DVCY201

Guys do you think I should get a ps4 for this or just get it on ps3? I'm torn :/

Awesome trailer by the way...

Up to you. But, this is a game that I'll end up owning multiple times, much like RE4, I'm sure. I'm getting it for the 360 now, and then when I get a new console I'll get TEW again for that one. Capcom got me to buy RE4 4 times, I'm sure I can get TEW at least twice.

Up to you. But, this is a game that I'll end up owning multiple times, much like RE4, I'm sure. I'm getting it for the 360 now, and then when I get a new console I'll get TEW again for that one. Capcom got me to buy RE4 4 times, I'm sure I can get TEW at least twice.

I'm already sitting at 4 copies myself. Hot damn.

Raptor

Sadly I will net be able to get this till November :(

Im in deep debt right now, fuck!!!

Good thing I have Diablo 3 if not I would probably would have gone insane!

AsfaeksBR

Play Extraction Point DLC for F.E.A.R. Has better horror elements than the original game in my opinion, 3-5 hours long and I'd say worth playing.

My friend told me this yesterday, and said that the 2 most disturbing scenes in the whole series are in this DLC.
Weird because I always thought, because of the name, it would be more Action-oriented, just like the "Desperate Escape" DLC from Resident Evil 5, which is pure action while the "Lost in Nightmare" DLC is more "horror".

Yea, IT is pretty incredible. King is definitely hit or miss but IT is my favorite of his.

I too have been reading and diving into all things horror. Currently reading 'House of Leaves' (really great so far, lovecraftian themes galore) and watching/playing horror movies/games AND watching Let's Play videos of random survival horror games. I LOVE FALL TIME, YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My friend told me this yesterday, and said that the 2 most disturbing scenes in the whole series are in this DLC.
Weird because I always thought, because of the name, it would be more Action-oriented, just like the "Desperate Escape" DLC from Resident Evil 5, which is pure action while the "Lost in Nightmare" DLC is more "horror".
The other DLC, percussion-whatever, is more action focused. Extraction Point is more horror focused than the main game.

It's about getting to a point to escape the city after a helicopter crash, though know that the DLC is not canon though. It has less enemy soldier battles, more atmosphere moments, more scare scenes and more unique scare scenes in my opinion, and even had things like new enemies and weapons.

The locations are a bit creepier (won't spoil all of them, but they include a church and a subway system, for example), as I want to say stuff but just trust me, the DLC Extraction Points on a personal level is one of my favorite parts of the series and had a pretty strong horror element.

Yea, IT is pretty incredible. King is definitely hit or miss but IT is my favorite of his.

I too have been reading and diving into all things horror. Currently reading 'House of Leaves' (really great so far, lovecraftian themes galore) and watching/playing horror movies/games AND watching Let's Play videos of random survival horror games. I LOVE FALL TIME, YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

If your into that, be sure to check out my latest video on Doorways: The Underworld. It's pretty good indie horror game and it just released on steam today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnAAIBqkTfY&list=UUneXwJFn1BrVSUNOlrneROg

It also would explain the jank (not that there's a lot) in Kamiya games in general. Interesting comment for sure.

Intensity is what I'm looking for in a game like this, I want to feel exhausted when I'm done playing.

Yup. For me it's the mark of a good horror game. I want this game to abuse me and stress me the fuck out.

Dead Space was the first game I ever played with good headphones - my trusty HD555s that I still have to this day. I almost couldn't deal with it at first.

Meanwhile, my friend played it at the college in the cafeteria. On a laptop, with the sound off, on easy. He told me it wasn't scary and I arnoldglare.gif'd at him.

I might have died had I played Dead Space with headphones my first time through. I couldn't play it for more than one mission at a time. That game fucked with me. Hard. And I loved it :p.

Xpliskin

I can't seem to find it in portuguese on the Amazon Store for the Kindle.
But people told me to read "The Call of Cthulhu". Maybe I'll grab it in english later on

Maaan you made me remember I still need to finish the Call Of Cthulhu FPS.
It's bleeping amazing for a horror game. I recommend getting it.

Some updates from the bird:

Apparently the game is hard even on normal modes, resulting in many deaths.
A designer playing through the game stated "Be prepared to die " (yes the game can be played from A to Z, gold announcement soon)
Another one said ammo is not abundant and the game itself is quite tense to go through.

That same person said the TGS trailer is kinda spoilery but a required watch to get sold on the game.

Mandatory psychopath gif:
ijikgc4iabczwq5yk2.gif

Top Bottom