• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

So it's based on weight then? That's interesting. Also probably ties into the movement and sway of the aiming as well when your moving at the same time as shooting. Does that sound about right?

hmm.. I couldn't tell you for sure, but the shotgun crosshair is much larger than the pistol's but also seemed more steady? So that could be tied to weight I think.

hmm.. I couldn't tell you for sure, but the shotgun crosshair is much larger than the pistol's but also seemed more steady? So that could be tied to weight I think.

Yeah, that will be interesting to see how it all works out mechanically and with different weapons. If it is affected via weight, that's pretty awesome, but I won't get my hopes up.

Sanctuary

Games need more time and creative freedom, not money,

This is only true in magic unicorn land. Unless you live in Poland and have everyone cramped next to each other in a dilapidated working environment, where their "payment" is in the form of a promissory note. Games cost money. The more people you have working on a project, the more money required. The more time allocated, the more it costs. Even if you have a much more talented group of people working on a project, they are not going to be doing it for free after a specific amount of time. Games need more time and creative freedom, with the resources to match.

The whole issue with the XX million dollar titles is that they are brute forcing their way through the project, as well as advertising costs.

AsfaeksBR

When a game is so good, you have to find SOMETHING to pick apart right? *theoretically of course! ;)*

edBQBeJ.gif

antitrop

This is only true in magic unicorn land. Unless you live in Poland and have everyone cramped next to each other in a dilapidated working environment, where their "payment" is in the form of a promissory note. Games cost money. The more people you have working on a project, the more money required. The more time allocated, the most it costs. Even if you have a much more talented group of people working on a project, they are not going to be doing it for free after a specific amount of time. Games need more time and creative freedom, with the resources to match.

The whole issue with the XX million dollar titles is that they are brute forcing their way through the project, as well as advertising costs.

I'm saying that I think modern AAA projects are too large and too many people have their hands in the creation. They could stand to be scaled back. Quite a bit, really.

That's why you have devs like MachineGames, who break off from their previous studio solely because they felt like the overbudgeting ruined the creative freedom they felt necessary to make the kind of game they want.

And we got GOTY so far this year because of it.

AsfaeksBR

Any word on how the inventory works in this? Is it like RE4?

I hope those annoying storage bins aren't going to be in this.

• The game has a circular style menu for the inventory and weapons. You can also quick select items that have been assigned to the d-pad on the controller.

I'm saying that I think modern AAA projects are too large and too many people have their hands in the creation. They could stand to be scaled back. Quite a bit, really.

That's why you have devs like MachineGames, who break off from their previous studio solely because they felt like the overbudgeting ruined the creative freedom they felt necessary to make the kind of game they want.

This is the EXACT reason RE6 came off the way it did. Too many hands in the cookie jar, and no focus. It showed....big time and I say that as a person that enjoyed it.

Sanctuary

It's just a huge misallocation of funds. That's why I said they are brute forcing their way through projects. Got a problem? Don't spend less money using better programmers, just throw three times as many at it! Pretty much anyone who has a real budget has to answer to corporate suits who care very little about the day to day affairs with the products they are trying to profit off of. Which means the inevitable deadline.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well I'm just not seeing it I guess. With all the footage I've spent watching, not once did I think "man, that person looks ridiculous when running"

I've thought it every time I've seen footage. It's the main goddamn character. He's ALWAYS on the screen. His animation should be extremely well crafted. It's clearly not.

I'm still looking forward to the game a lot and I'm sure the animation won't ruin my enjoyment but it's baffling to me that he looks so bad while everything else looks very solid.

AsfaeksBR

This is the EXACT reason RE6 came off the way it did. Too many hands in the cookie jar, and no focus. It showed....big time and I say that as a person that enjoyed it.

This is kind of the reason The Bureau: XCOM Declassified isn't that great.
Too many people from around the world worked on it, and it looks like they made the game without talking to each other.
There is a mission where they tell you to do one thing in the beginning. Then at the end, the cutscene shows you doing the exact opposite and NO ONE noticed it. The story kept going without even saying that you did the wrong thing.

This is kind of the reason The Bureau: XCOM Declassified isn't that great.
Too many people from around the world worked on it, and it looks like they made the game without talking to each other.
There is a mission where they tell you to do one thing in the beginning. Then at the end, the cutscene shows you doing the exact opposite and NO ONE noticed it. The story kept going without even saying that you did the wrong thing.

Yeah but in that games defense, it should have been much worse then it turned out to be as the game was in dev hell for a long time. RE6 wasn't as far as we know. I think what will make TEW stand out is that Shinji has been guiding the team for his vision of survival horror.

Yeah but in that games defense, it should have been much worse then it turned out to be as the game was in dev hell for a long time. RE6 wasn't as far as we know. I think what will make TEW stand out is that Shinji has been guiding the team for his vision of survival horror.

I trust Shinji on this one, so far he never disappointed in the Survival Horror aspect.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That was just my thoughts. It's looked the same forever and suddently we have a bunch of people posting about it likes its changed or its new footage. I didn't get it myself. Also the folks that had hands on never mentioned it concerning their plathroughs. It just strikes me as nitpicking really, if the rest of the game is solid, a running animation isn't going to be a big deal, not for me at least. To each their own.

And then you even posted about it. Maybe it's just one of those things, when your in the game, in the moment, that sort of thing really just dissapears in your eyes. I never noticed it till folks here said it and I watched the video a few times. I do see it now but still, doesn't bother me.

It's right in front of the player's face, constantly. It's not nitpicking to criticize it.

And for the record, as if it matters, I've thought it looked bad from the very beginning and I know I saw plenty of other people criticize it in early footage as well. It's not good animation. Objectively. Deal with it.

It's right in front of the player's face, constantly. It's not nitpicking to criticize it.

And for the record, as if it matters, I've thought it looked bad from the very beginning and I know I saw plenty of other people criticize it in early footage as well. It's not good animation. Objectively. Deal with it.

BD7RHOI.gif]

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Everyone seem to be pretty pissed off by the running animations...
Just wow..

You're the player. You've always had a slow step. It's a natural feeling to being in control of someone else. Ever follow the camera when you're backing up without reversing the camera? To me it's the same thing. Running at angles can do that, especially if they're in the opposite way. Uncharted and AC must of spoiled everyone.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Do I think it's a good animation? Not particularly.

Am I bitching about something that probably won't change 3 weeks before the game comes out? Nope, definitely not.

If we didn't bitch about things we couldn't change, GAF would be a blank web page.

I already said I was looking forward to the game, despite the animation, in order to soothe the more sensitive fans. So I don't know what else I can do to make my criticism more palatable. I'm obviously a big fan of Mikami's previous work and would like very much for TEW to be a masterpiece. I'm just genuinely confused about why the basic run animation looks like it's from a budget game.

The truth hurts when you've already made up your mind about a game before playing it.

I'll assume that you can't help but agree with my point that it's not nitpicking.

The fact you even assume I've already made up my mind about the game before playing it is pretty silly of you. I just don't have a issue with the animations at all. I don't know why I have to "deal with it" I've already said the load times suck if they stay that way. So I cherry pick my issues now I suppose? Come on now. You don't like the animations that's fine, but when people tell others to deal with it, I just can't help but think it's a way of saying "I'm right, your wrong" and I don't think anyone is right or wrong in this situation personally. It's obviously going to be on a case by case basis per person on what they think of said animation.

AsfaeksBR

Ok guys, time for a break.
No more arguing, this thread is kind of derailling with this much "hate".

It's just an animation, get over it. Let's all make peace and go back to the waiting game until Oct 14

DVCY201

Leon's sprint in RE6 looks worse than any animation in TEW.

Animations in RE6 are...weird. Especially when you play in co-op and look at your partner. Let's not forget that award-winning thumbs up animation from Leon either!

Some of the animations are stiff, clunky, weird. It's also something I'm going to get used to in literally 5 minutes. So I'm not worried.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The fact you even assume I've already made up my mind about the game before playing it is pretty silly of you. I just don't have a issue with the animations at all. I don't know why I have to "deal with it" I've already said the load times suck if they stay that way. So I cherry pick my issues now I suppose? Come on now. You don't like the animations that's fine, but when people tell others to deal with it, I just can't help but think it's a way of saying "I'm right, your wrong" and I don't think anyone is right or wrong in this situation personally. It's obviously going to be on a case by case basis per person on what they think of said animation.

I've read your posts in threads about the game. Is it really silly that I perceived extreme optimism and positivity? Did you not make what was basically a promotional video for the game out of the goodness of your heart? You aren't going to dislike this game no matter how it turns out.

Anyway, it's subjective that you're not bothered by the run animations and I don't have a problem with that, and I never said anything disparaging about people who weren't bothered by them. But, it's objective that they aren't good. They aren't good in a vacuum, they aren't good in the context of the game's serious tone and otherwise well-crafted visuals, and they aren't good compared to movement animations in most third person games with reasonably large budgets. All I claimed was that they aren't good. So, in this very particular case, I am right. Aren't I?

Cramoss

Come on guys, he's got a point. The running animation is kinda weird. It affects him more than some people here but that's it. No need to make a big deal about it.

Sanctuary

But, it's objective that they aren't good. They aren't good in a vacuum, they aren't good in the context of the game's serious tone and otherwise well-crafted visuals, and they aren't good compared to movement animations in most third person games with reasonably large budgets. All I claimed was that they aren't good. So, in this very particular case, I am right. Aren't I?

No. While I agree that the animation looks way off (and I'll probably just forget about it after 30 minutes of acclimation), all of this is an opinion tinged with bias, so it's not objective at all.
But hey, if the only thing anyone can really complain about so far is the jog animation, then there's probably not too much to worry about overall right? I'm not counting the loading times, because I'm part of the master race.

The previews make it look quite challenging and tense at times. I wonder if this game is going to have a good amount of different enemies and boss fights throughout the game.

I know it's because of the engine, but it still really sucks to see textures load in in such an advanced build of the game. Also, what's with that item box appearing out of nowhere at the start of the video?
Just remember how the last few weeks/ months have been for optimizing.I know they were aimed at getting the load times better.

Lucent

I hope texture load in is minor and in-frequent. Or maybe even fixed by launch. That stuff bothered me on every Unreal Engine game (Gears of War for example). It's like ewwww--okay that looks good now. lol

AsfaeksBR

I hope texture load in is minor and in-frequent. Or maybe even fixed by launch. That stuff bothered me on every Unreal Engine game (Gears of War for example). It's like ewwww--okay that looks good now. lol

Fixed? Doubt it, that's an IdTech 5 thing.
But from the videos, it's not so frequent so... It appears to be better than Wolfenstein and RAGE's problem

And I hope leading up to release people don't keep bitching about the run animation, I hadn't even heard that mentioned until recently and now everybody is claiming it bothers them.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned his animations being weirdly jank a long time ago. Like when that cabin footage leaked.

The RE6 and Shadows of The Damned run/sprint animations are similarly "off", so it's not like I'm picking on TEW. I just like good looking animations. It can be the best part of 3rd person games, but can also harm the experience if it isn't natural looking. Won't make or break my purchase though.

AsfaeksBR

Or maybe the shotgun has a steadyer aim because it's supported against Sebastian's shoulder. I don't know how to say it in english actually, but just think of a person aiming with a shotgun. Now with a pistol. Can you imagine the difference and why it has a firmer grip?

Grief.exe

Or maybe the shotgun has a steadyer aim because it's supported against Sebastian's shoulder. I don't know how to say it in english actually, but just think of a person aiming with a shotgun. Now with a pistol. Can you imagine the difference and why it has a firmer grip?

Coming from a shooting background, shotguns and rifles are much easier to aim and shoot than pistols.

AsfaeksBR

I remember reading that Sebastian can shoot without aiming, and people especulated that it would be probably to escape large crowds.
But watching the Pete Hines gameplay and seeing how hard it is to aim a good Headshot when the enemy is too near (he takes lots of damage a few times because of it), I think it'll probably be used as a way to escape these kind of situations without getting damaged.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I didn't really notice much about the run animation when playing, but that might be because on level 1 stamina Sebastian can only run 5-7 seconds before getting tired and the animation changes when he has about a third of stamina left. Also changes based on what weapon you're carrying, and if you're jogging just whenever or it if an enemy see's you and is chasing you.

The reticle on the shotgun is bigger than the handgun. I mentioned this before, the reticle 'square' is actually where you may hit when you shoot, somewhere in that square. Sebastian lower-leveled steadiness will not hit dead-center and can hit anywhere in that square. The shotgun spreads, so the square shows the spread area, and is much bigger.

I didn't really notice much about the run animation when playing, but that might be because on level 1 stamina Sebastian can only run 5-7 seconds before getting tired and the animation changes when he has about a third of stamina left. Also changes based on what weapon you're carrying, and if you're jogging just whenever or it if an enemy see's you and is chasing you.

The reticle on the shotgun is bigger than the handgun. I mentioned this before, the reticle 'square' is actually where you may hit when you shoot, somewhere in that square. Sebastian lower-leveled steadiness will not hit dead-center and can hit anywhere in that square. The shotgun spreads, so the square shows the spread area, and is much bigger.

So there is def changes based on what your carrying at the time. I find that pretty cool. Trying to think of other games that factor that in as well.

Top Bottom