• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Sanctuary

I didn't really notice much about the run animation when playing, but that might be because on level 1 stamina Sebastian can only run 5-7 seconds before getting tired and the animation changes when he has about a third of stamina left. Also changes based on what weapon you're carrying, and if you're jogging just whenever or it if an enemy see's you and is chasing you.

It's not his actual sprint that is what is so annoying, even if that looks silly. It's his medium jog that he's doing 99% of the time. If that only happens every 5-7 seconds, then all of the videos took some really strange footage.

AsfaeksBR

So, Green Gel. Will it be more available for pickup at easier dificulties or harder ones?
It would make sense if it is the latter, because then you'd be able to upgrade more (being more rewarded) if you played the game the way it's meant to be played.

And will there be New Game+ ? Can we continue in a higher difficulty with all our previous upgrades?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, Green Gel. Will it be more available for pickup at easier dificulties or harder ones?
It would make sense if it is the latter, because then you'd be able to upgrade more (being more rewarded) if you played the game the way it's meant to be played.

And will there be New Game+ ? Can we continue in a higher difficulty with all our previous upgrades?
First question, no idea.

Second question, there is new game+, and it does carry over weapons and upgrades, but you can't go a difficulty above what you've beaten on New Game+. If you beat the game on Survivor, you can play New Game+ on Casual and Survivor, but will have to start from scratch on Nightmare and Akumu.

ironcreed

Banned
I am ramping up for Shadow of Mordor and Forza Horizon 2, but I will be picking this up as well on release a couple of weeks later. I'll probably pre-order it on PS4 for the discount.

AsfaeksBR

First question, no idea.

Second question, there is new game+, and it does carry over weapons and upgrades, but you can't go a difficulty above what you've beaten on New Game+. If you beat the game on Survivor, you can play New Game+ on Casual and Survivor, but will have to start from scratch on Nightmare and Akumu.

Ok, so there's no way I can 100% this game.
And I think I'll have to start from Survivor, since the itens doesn't go from Casual to Survivor.

Bl@de

This Thread:
Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif

Yesterday it was all hype. Now we are burning our Mikami posters and re4 copies in pure rage?

antitrop

Now we are burning our Mikami posters and re4 copies in pure rage?
Shheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, I played like 8 hours of RE4, yesterday.

Got from, I think like, Chief Mendez boss fight to Salazar boss fight in one day. And I haven't played in 9 years, so it was like the first time again.

Had a boner pretty much the entire time, but it's clearly true that the game's S-tier pacing does falter a little bit once it gets to the island. =/

This Thread:

Yesterday it was all hype. Now we are burning our Mikami posters and re4 copies in pure rage?

The running and movement animations are a mess, he looks like he is bouncing when running and constantly moving around like crazy. It reminds me of Nathan drakes animations in uncharted 3 that made him look like a panicking neanderthal.
Everything other than the camera/player animations look amazing. pre-order
not
cancelled

This Thread:

LOL. Naw RE4 is top tier and people just don't like his run animation. Fair point but I don't think Ive ever concerned myself with a running animation in any game.

I see uncharted 3 mentioned above. I never noticed that with terrible animations either. I just don't have a eye for running animations being bad or just didn't care enough. Did Alan Wake have bad timing animations too? Ive played that over 7 times before and never noticed, so please tell me.

antitrop

LOL. Naw RE4 is top tier and people just don't like his run animation.

No, really though. The location variety, enemy variety, and mix of pacing in RE4 is still something that no other game in the last 9 years, not even The Last of Us, has matched.

Other than the 2005-ass textures, RE4 feels like a game that could come out in 2014 and be fresh and new.

Which is sort of ironic, seeing as its half the inspiration for Gears of War, which launched an entire generation of shooters mostly from behind the shoulder that still didn't quite manage to live up to the master.

No, really though, other than the 2005-ass textures, RE4 feels like a game that could come out in 2014 and feel fresh and new.

Which is sort of ironic, seeing as its half the inspiration for Gears of War, which launched an entire generation of shooters mostly from behind the shoulder.

I completely agree, I've been replaying it on my channel and its been awhile since I played it but it holds up oh so well. Yeah look wise it's dated, but if a game came out today with the same quality of gameplay, balance, and pacing today... would be just as good.

LOL. Naw RE4 is top tier and people just don't like his run animation. Fair point but I don't think Ive ever concerned myself with a running animation in any game.

I see uncharted 3 mentioned above. I never noticed that with terrible animations either.

uncharted 3 animations were not bad but they were overdone, he was constantly bending his knees slightly and looking left and right quickly as if panicked all the time, that combined with his renewed forehead gave him almost neanderthal expressions.

i get the feeling that yet again the gaming press have screwed another developer as almost all the early previews complained that Sebastian didn't react enough to his surroundings and that his animations were stiff, i assume that Mikami and tango took it to heart turned the animation dial up to 11 and this is what we are left with.

djshauny

Banned
Hes not really running, hes jogging. Hence the bounce. But honestly I could care less lol.

Ive played the game and its not a big deal at all.

Raptor

So whats' going in on in this thread......?

Running animations still? lol is really bad, yes does it beak the game? nope!

ironcreed

Banned
I don't see the problem with the running animation. I never would have even thought anything about it, were it not for the comments.

ironcreed

Banned
Careful saying that, people will assume the worst. I already got the blunt end of that topic.

5xtDarG6KgYOkxBgP28.gif

LOL, what can I say? I'm sitting here watching the footage in question and I just don't see it. Looks no worse than Garcia Hotspur, but probably a bit better. The game itself looks great and that is all I see.

LOL, what can I say? I'm sitting here watching the footage in question and I just don't see it. Looks no worse than Garcia Hotspur, but probably a bit better. The game itself looks great and that is all I see.

I agree and while it could be perhaps better in ways, but I just don't see the shit animation people claim. Garcia's animation didn't bother me either. I mean, it's surely no euro rpg jank animations, but maybe most people don't play those titles to compare it to? I've pretty much talked about this to death, so I don't have much more to say, other then, it bothers some folks, and others didn't even notice. I personally believe, after hearing from the folks that had hands on with the game, that it's truly something most people playing just simple aren't going to notice.

ironcreed

Banned
I personally believe, after hearing from the folks that had hands on with the game, that it's truly something most people playing just simple aren't going to notice.

That is about how I see it. If anything, the familiarity of it will not even phase people who like games like this.

Shheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, I played like 8 hours of RE4, yesterday.

Got from, I think like, Chief Mendez boss fight to Salazar boss fight in one day. And I haven't played in 9 years, so it was like the first time again.

Had a boner pretty much the entire time, but it's clearly true that the game's S-tier pacing does falter a little bit once it gets to the island. =/

lol!

Pachimari

I FINALLY pre-ordered this game and I have seen almost nothing from it.

But knowing this is a Mikami horror game, and after having read that impression thread, I can't wait to play it through with my new Sennheiser 363D headset!

Top Bottom