• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Can I still enter?

The Contest starts on Wednesday, July 30 2014 at 10:00:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (“EDT”) and ends on Friday, August 8, at 10:00 a.m. EDT (the “Contest Period”).

http://www.bethblog.com/the-evil-within-your-game-case-giveaway-contest-2/

That was for the cover art. I have no idea what happened after that.

The Evil Within publisher Bethesda has announced plans for this weekend's PAX Prime event in Seattle, revealing the company will hold a special party and let gamers take part in a raffle for a chance to win a pretty excellent-looking Evil Within Xbox One custom console.

Bethesda's free event at PAX Prime this year will take place on Saturday, August 30 at "The White Room" in the historical--and spooky--Seattle Underground. From 8 PM local time to midnight, attendees can play The Evil Within and enjoy food and drinks.

The first 700 people in the door will receive a PAX-exclusive The Evil Within t-shirt (left). Attendees can also enter a contest to win one of three custom-made Xbox One consoles featuring special artwork based on The Evil Within.

Bethesda's Evil Within event at PAX Prime is open to people 18 years of age or older. Attendance is based on a first-come, first-served basis. More information about the event is available on Bethesda's website.

The Evil Within, developed by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami and his Tango Gameworks studio, launches on October 14 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC. Earlier today, Bethesda announced the voice talent for the game, including Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter) and Jackie Earle Haley (A Nightmare on Elm Street).

PAX Prime kicks off on Friday, August 29 and runs through Monday, September 1 (Labor Day in the United States). GameSpot will be on the ground in Seattle bringing you news and interviews from the show.

So the consoles were given away as a raffle at PAX. It sucks for people who didn't go.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/custom-xbox-one-evil-within-consoles-will-be-given/1100-6421924/

Sanctuary

Tech-dumb and somewhat off topic question, but is it bad that I just set my HDTV to 16:9? I was always told this was the best.

But, on topic, the black bars are weird, but they don't bother me much.

You probably don't need to adjust anything. The majority of blu-ray movies have black bars, because the aspect:ratio is set to cinema standards, which are usually filmed differently.

http://www.highdefforum.com/blu-ray-players/73325-16-9-still-have-black-bars.html
http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-aspect-ratio-4-3-16-9-21-9-cinemawide

The most common aspect ratio of TVs and monitors is currently 16:9, which also correspond to the aspect ratio of TV Shows. However, movies usually have an aspect ratio of 21:9, which will result in black bars above and below the picture if you watch it on your 16:9 screen.

As far as what to keep your TV set on? For most content you just want it to be "full" screen or whatever you have that's equivalent. You don't want to mess around with "zoom" or "just" or pretty much any of the other settings except under specific, rare circumstances.

Sanctuary

Pretty good pictures :D

The Silent Hill is strong in the bottom two. And god, I hope this game delivers. I typically don't let myself get wrapped up in hype, with how it almost never pays off, but I so badly want this game to be good, and so far it looks really good.

Glad this is incoming soon.

I haven't played a game like this in some time.

This and Alien Isolation look to finally bring back the REAL survival horror experience that the RE series forsake so long ago.

Sanctuary

Glad this is incoming soon.

I haven't played a game like this in some time.

This and Alien Isolation look to finally bring back the REAL survival horror experience that the RE series forsake so long ago.

Dead Space was one of the most pleasant surprises early on last gen for me. I wrote it off as a generic "Resident Evil in space" until I rented it. It was also the first game I've ever rented, completed and then purchased after. This was coming off of the huge disappointment that was RE5. Maybe Dead Space had too much ammo to be considered a real SH game, but I feel like it nailed eveything else that made the RE series great, and I guess maybe felt closer to RE4. Although the first game was like "Alien" and the second more like "Aliens" where they ramped up the action.

tesqui

Nvidia just released new driver for upcoming releases Evil Within included.

That some how gets me more excited knowing it's closer to release

Shauni

You probably don't need to adjust anything. The majority of blu-ray movies have black bars, because the aspect:ratio is set to cinema standards, which are usually filmed differently.

http://www.highdefforum.com/blu-ray-players/73325-16-9-still-have-black-bars.html
http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-aspect-ratio-4-3-16-9-21-9-cinemawide

As far as what to keep your TV set on? For most content you just want it to be "full" screen or whatever you have that's equivalent. You don't want to mess around with "zoom" or "just" or pretty much any of the other settings except under specific, rare circumstances.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Shauni

Bethesda - just give us a demo so we can play it over and over until its release. I'm dying here.

I gave up on demos. I think they're basically like a legendary drop at this point. It's great when we get one, but it's too rare to really count on. It's so close, though, so it doesn't matter much.

I gave up on demos. I think they're basically like a legendary drop at this point. It's great when we get one, but it's too rare to really count on. It's so close, though, so it doesn't matter much.

It would help a lil. :D These next three weeks are just going to crawl.

Game Informer has some new screens.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...-gallery-shows-39-laura-39-other-horrors.aspx

58lvAXr.jpg

Hlk3gjL.jpg

OivtzI6.jpg

jhuIGmh.jpg

Sanctuary

Game Informer has some new screens.

Those are actually quite ugly (the "screens" not the way the game itself looks). It just looks like they scanned images from the spread from their latest magazine. What a lazy way to do it, especially when the actual screenshots are most likely digital anyway.

I played through the first five hours of Tango Gameworks' upcoming The Evil Within, and came across the spider-like creature pictured in the screenshot above. Tango hasn't given any of its creatures and demons proper names, but publisher Bethesda Softworks has lovingly named her "Laura."

A reference to "D".

Sanctuary

I am so glad they changed the name for the English release. I didn't have as much of an issue with Biohazard, although it reminded me too much of the metalcore/groove band that was popular around that time.

Doesn't seem valid any longer. At least it doesn't work for DA:I. I already got TEW last week for $45. I wonder if that's the same code I used last week, which is why it's not working now.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am so glad they changed the name for the English release. I didn't have as much of an issue with Biohazard, although it reminded me too much of the metalcore/groove band that was popular around that time.

Doesn't seem valid any longer. At least it doesn't work for DA:I. I already got TEW last week for $45. I wonder if that's the same code I used last week, which is why it's not working now.

Interesting. I wonder if Kotaku will look into it

Yeah 9I47I9-ZOM38L-ZGV9KW is no longer valid. I just tried it to check.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
A video of the TGS demo. It shows the save room a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjkBsTDKi4

Also the highest difficulty levels are called Nightmare and Akumu even in the japanese version.

pKwifra.jpg

Boy, the bounciness of the character animation looks kind of atmosphere-destroying. Hopefully it's the kind of thing that you stop noticing as you play but it's so goddamn salient. Why is it so shitty, Mikami???

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Here's a voucter KZE3KM-RE0JH4-AZK3LF for 23% off it's a loyalty voucher.

Don't wait: your code is valid until 4pm UTC on Monday 30th September.

It makes the total: $46.20

I don't know if this is a one time use code or not. It cannot be used with GMG credit.

In the context of the game, it is actually pretty shitty. Who wants to see a character that moves like they are bouncing on a trampoline the entire time?

Well I'm just not seeing it I guess. With all the footage I've spent watching, not once did I think "man, that person looks ridiculous when running"

Sanctuary

Here's a voucter KZE3KM-RE0JH4-AZK3LF for 23% off it's a loyalty voucher.

It makes the total: $46.20

I don't know if this is a one time use code or not. It cannot be used with GMG credit.

This is not a valid voucher shows up for me. I have no idea what's going on with the vouchers, but they aren't working for me.

Well I'm just not seeing it I guess. With all the footage I've spent watching, not once did I think "man, that person looks ridiculous when running"

Is that actually his "run" animation though? It looks like he has three speeds; casual walking, the normal "jog" and sprinting. The jog walk is what I am talking about. The head bobbing is really, really bad.

BashNasty

I noticed it too, it does look a bit bad. Honestly, given how you're one of the biggest hypers and defenders of this game, it doesn't surprise me a bit that you're gonna be a little blind to any negatives.

Not that that's a bad thing, of course. It's great that you're excited, but I certainly wouldn't look to you for unbiased impressions.

AsfaeksBR

The animation of Sebastion is pretty shitty. Not nice and smooth like Leon from RE4 at a.

I know Mikami said that game director's gotta take their time to improva and polish the good part of their games to make it greater instead of focussing on the bad parts trying to make it less shitty.
But damn, is Tango that small of a studio that they couldn't get one animator to work exclusively on Sebastian?

It's really weird that his animations are stiff, while the enemies have super fluid animations!

Top Bottom