• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

I noticed it too, it does look a bit bad. Honestly, given how you're one of the biggest hypers and defenders of this game, it doesn't surprise me a bit that you're gonna be a little blind to any negatives.

Not that that's a bad thing, of course. It's great that you're excited, but I certainly wouldn't look to you for unbiased impressions.

I just don't see that big a problem with it, but as someone said it reminded them of Garcia and I didn't find his animations bad as well. As for being unbiased, I still think load times suck and if they stay that way, I will surely discussing them in my review.

Also did I notice that when your aiming and moving at the same time the cursor moves as well with the animation of walking? Maybe it's done purposely, who knows. I can't say if it will affect my thoughts on the controls till I get my hands on it. I just know, no one who had hands on time with it really seemed to mention much of a issue about it.

A video of the TGS demo. It shows the save room a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjkBsTDKi4

Also the highest difficulty levels are called Nightmare and Akumu even in the japanese version.

pKwifra.jpg

Eww what's with that running animation?

Maybe the running animation is on purpose?
It looks like he his pretty hectic because he is frightened or the whole situation makes him all groggy? Could explain those "weird" animations?

Gurish

Running animation is one of the worst, I don't understand how Mikami approved this shit considering the superb animations RE4 had for its time, actually even today RE4 animates better than this, Sebastian's running looks goofy and quite ridiculous.

AsfaeksBR

Maybe the running animation is on purpose?
It looks like he his pretty hectic because he is frightened or the whole situation makes him all groggy? Could explain those "weird" animations?

So what you're saying is that Leon wasn't scared of the situation he was at, but Sebastian is?
____

And now that I saw the video, it's visible that the texture is loading slowly in the beginning. Just hoping that this IdTech 5 curse doesn't affect the whole game!

antitrop

Running animation is one of the worst, I don't understand how Mikami approved this shit considering the superb animations RE4 had for its time, actually even today RE4 animates better than this, Sebastian's running looks goofy and quite ridiculous.
I was playing RE4 today (up to the garden maze now) and Leon still animates remarkably well, especially in 60fps.

So what you're saying is that Leon wasn't scared of the situation he was at, but Sebastian is?
____

And now that I saw the video, it's visible that the texture is loading slowly in the beginning. Just hoping that this IdTech 5 curse doesn't affect the whole game!

Leon knew already from the Raccoon City incident, so he would be less scared, he survived the whole zombie mess, Sebastian is a detective, and never seen this horror before would be my guess.
Or am I missing something? Leon is already used to this because of RE2, Sebastian is new to this whole asylum thing.
Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the run itself is ok, it's more the jog he's in for most of it.

ToMjGpuHWbr7lVzccGQ.gif

He just bounces so much. Like if you couldn't see his bottom half he'd be doing some high knees or shit like that.

Raptor

Mikami:- "Whats on the schedule boys?"
Dev 1:- "There is running animation and some texture of an enemy the player will see only once"
Mikami:- "Focus the entire studio on that texture"
Dev 1:- "but sir, the animation, everyone on the internet noticed it and says is garbage"
Mikami:- "The texture looks good so lets make it brilliant, lets not focus on bad things"
Dev 1:-"but mikami san?"
Dev 2:- "You are insane Mikami san, the running animation is the worse ever made"
Mikami:-"Proceed"

...........Kamiya:-"Mikami is my hero!"

I must be weird because I actually like the jogging animation lol. Maybe people would like it more if it had a little less bounce.

Why is everyone who plays this game on video so terrible. Now I wish I had recorded my gameplay. Granted, I played for over an hour.

Gurish

Leon knew already from the Raccoon City incident, so he would be less scared, he survived the whole zombie mess, Sebastian is a detective, and never seen this horror before would be my guess.
Or am I missing something? Leon is already used to this because of RE2, Sebastian is new to this whole asylum thing.

You are reaching a little bit don't you think? it's just a shitty animation, nothing more, no need to over analyze things that obviously no one intended to.

antitrop

Mikami:- "Whats on the schedule boys?"
Dev 1:- "There is running animation and some texture of an enemy the player will see only once"
Mikami:- "Focus the entire studio on that texture"
Dev 1:- "but sir, the animation, everyone on the internet noticed it and says is garbage"
Mikami:- "The texture looks good so lets make it brilliant, lets not focus on bad things"
Dev 1:-"but mikami san?"
Dev 2:- "You are insane Mikami san, the running animation is the worse ever made"
Mikami:-"Proceed"

...........Kamiya:-"Mikami is my hero!"
Hahahahahahahaha

AsfaeksBR

You're probably right.
___

The only running animation that kind of makes sense is that one Sebastian's running away from a boss in an area with blades on the wall (it shows this in one trailer). But still, thst's still a bit exaggerated.

This gif is sped up though. The jog looks ridiculous.

It's like a few keyframes missing to make it smooth. This is why developers should opt for soft body physics. Procedural generated animations on the fly may be a bit costly but it also gives way to a more grounded movement design.

There are some really nice ideas here and there and it shows this is a mikami game! too bad he doesn't have capcom's budget like he used to on RE games or this would have turned out to be something amazing.

Still buying it day 1.

Apparently you don't need Capcom's budget to make a game that plays and feels better than their most recent Resident Evil games.

Capcom would have just wanted him to make RE4.5 anyway, when this is something entirely different and more refreshing.

There are some really nice ideas here and there and it shows this is a mikami game! too bad he doesn't have capcom's budget like he used to on RE games or this would have turned out to be something amazing.

Still buying it day 1.

Glad your still buying it but what does budget have to do with any game turning out amazing? Plenty of indie games that are absolutely fantastic and on small budgets.

AsfaeksBR

Glad your still buying it but what does budget have to do with any game turning out amazing? Plenty of indie games that are absolutely fantastic and on small budgets.

Maybe because they probably ran out fo money so they couldn't make the running animation better.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what's the budget of the game? And what was the budget for RE6?

-MD-

I have a friend that tries to tell me how much better games would be if they had higher budgets. He frequently tells me "man, imagine if Killer Instinct had a AAA budget how cool it would've been". I don't really get it.

And I hope leading up to release people don't keep bitching about the run animation, I hadn't even heard that mentioned until recently and now everybody is claiming it bothers them.

kodecraft

I agree. Shadow of the Damned had ugly movement animation also. I think an individual is only as good as the team they work in,

The RE4 team was just incredible talent. So was the Mad World and Vanquish team.

There's really no excuse for it.

antitrop

I have a friend that tries to tell me how much better games would be if they had higher budgets. He frequently tells me "man, imagine if Killer Instinct had a AAA budget how cool it would've been". I don't really get it.
Games need more time and creative freedom, not money,

And I hope leading up to release people don't keep bitching about the run animation, I hadn't even heard that mentioned until recently and now everybody is claiming it bothers them.

The animation never bothered me once during my playthrough, and I'm sure Dusk Golem doesn't have a problem with it either. In fact, Sebastian feels quite good to control.

The only thing I didn't like about the controls was that you had to hold down the button to be in stealth mode. Thankfully there's a toggle option in the menu for it.

AsfaeksBR

The animation never bothered me once during my playthrough, and I'm sure Dusk Golem doesn't have a problem with it either. In fact, Sebastian feels quite good to control.

The only thing I didn't like about the controls was that you had to hold down the button to be in stealth mode. Thankfully there's a toggle option in the menu for it.

Did you play the last biuld of the Demo?
Was the stealth still broken? Maybe that's a reason they won't release the demo publically...

Did you play the last biuld of the Demo?
Was the stealth still broken? Maybe that's a reason they won't release the demo publically...

Stealth was fine. I got a couple sneak kills.

I would love for them to release the demo publicly but it's probably not as polished as the final game and they're hesitant.

That was just my thoughts. It's looked the same forever and suddently we have a bunch of people posting about it likes its changed or its new footage. I didn't get it myself. Also the folks that had hands on never mentioned it concerning their plathroughs. It just strikes me as nitpicking really, if the rest of the game is solid, a running animation isn't going to be a big deal, not for me at least. To each their own.

And then you even posted about it. Maybe it's just one of those things, when your in the game, in the moment, that sort of thing really just dissapears in your eyes. I never noticed it till folks here said it and I watched the video a few times. I do see it now but still, doesn't bother me.

AsfaeksBR

"The game is amazing. There's nothing wrong with but, but the run animation of Sebastian is clunky. So Il'll be taking 4 points from it's score. 6/10" - Steam User Review

BashNasty

Obviously there are exceptions, but more money to work with on a large, 3D title like The Evil Within typically means more polish. My number one concern about this game is that it will lack polish.

Whether you like or don't like the jog animation for Sebastian, it has nothing to do with some lack of talent or budget at Tango. It's a deliberate choice - probably to make it feel like the character has some weight.

If you look at Sebastian's jog while he's holding the shotgun, its a lot less bouncy since he's holding a heavier weapon than the pistol.

Whether you like or don't like the jog animation for Sebastian, it has nothing to do with some lack of talent or budget at Tango. It's a deliberate choice - probably to make it feel like the character has some weight.

If you look at Sebastian's jog while he's holding the shotgun, its a lot less bouncy since he's holding a heavier weapon than the pistol.

So it's based on weight then? That's interesting. Also probably ties into the movement and sway of the aiming as well when your moving at the same time as shooting. Does that sound about right?

Top Bottom