• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Bl@de

The game is much funnier than I remember when I played it as a teenager.

I was laughing my ass off the entire time, especially towards the end. Some of Leon's lines towards Salazar and Saddler (and Ashley) are just absolute gold. Wouldn't change a thing about the writing, it fits the game perfectly.

Ashley's stupid "overtime" quip had me laughing well into the end credits, even though I've heard it all before before. Good shit.

Yeah how old is Ashley anyway in RE4? Whenever I play it, I think of her as 14-16 years old ... so the overtime remark to a 30 year old guy was kind of aaaaaaaaawkwaaard.

Bl@de

She's 20 in RE4.

oh ... hahaha yeah okay :D I would have not guessed that.

Ashley_re4.jpg

I think it might be a fair guess to assume TEW will do better then Alien Isolation at this point. I mean even look at how many views and posts this thread has versus any of the Alien threads. I want that game to do well, but not sure all that bodes well.

Speaking of that, is anyone else surprised at how many posts this thread has? No way did I think it would reach over 1,000 replies!

Speaking of that, is anyone else surprised at how many posts this thread has? No way did I think it would reach over 1,000 replies!

At first I thought it would be small, but seeing how alive it is for a game people were constantly posting about in that biggest bomb of the year thread, I don't think TEW has to worry about getting that claim anymore. I can't see it happening at all.

At first I thought it would be small, but seeing how alive it is for a game people were constantly posting about in that biggest bomb of the year thread, I don't think TEW has to worry about getting that claim anymore. I can't see it happening at all.

Yeah, the fact that it's on so many consoles + PC should already tell you it's not gonna be the biggest bomb. Bayonetta 2 on the other hand is in real trouble. That's gonna be the biggest bomb sadly.

imae

I've been keeping a close eye on this game for a while, and the more I've read and seen the more interested I've become.

I'm just looking forward to playing a good survival horror game, and I think with the right marketing the game could do fairly well sales wise.

I've been keeping a close eye on this game for a while, and the more I've read and seen the more interested I've become.

I'm just looking forward to playing a good survival horror game, and I think with the right marketing the game could do fairly well sales wise.

Word of mouth will no doubt help a lot too.

I hope we get more psychological and survival horror games like this where we have a chance to fight back rather than running away and hiding from everything. I guess this is why I preferred Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Lone Survivor over games like Outlast, Penumbra, Amnesia, Clock Tower.

I hope we get more psychological and survival horror games like this where we have a chance to fight back rather than running away and hiding from everything. I guess this is why I preferred Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Lone Survivor over games like Outlast, Penumbra, Amnesia, Clock Tower.

Yep - nowadays it's either run away and hide basic stealth or full on Rambo fight the hordes. I guess it must be really hard to make a videogame where having to balance between stealth/fight/flight and make the game both challenging and feel good to play (and on top of that add a really neat encounter shuffle/randomization element).

Tango really did a fantastic job in making the game feel organic and giving you the options to play how you want. If the final game delivers on its promise in the demo - I really hope Tango get their dues when the reviews roll around and people can see how refreshing of a game this is not just in the horror genre, but in games in general.

AsfaeksBR

I think this will become a sleeper hit that will have a growing fanbase.

Sincerely? It all depends on the reviews.
If the game gets 9+, people will buy it day one.
If it gets 7+, most people will wait a price drop.
Under that, people will bash at Mikami and say he lost his touch.

AsfaeksBR

Changed my mind, as I'm starting to become more and more of a STEAM fan, I will be getting this game through STEAM.

Steam is by far the best place to keep your games.
I love mine, but I just can't upgrade my PC at the moment. I see people buying the new GTX970 at the Steam thread like it's water, because it's actually cheap for that much power. But when these things come to Brazil, their price more than triple the price because of taxes. So, if I biuld a PC right now, it will be at least 3 times the price of a PS4 here now (which is about $650, not $1800 like when it was announced). But when I get a job I'm certain i'll be upgrading my rig!

antitrop

Yeah how old is Ashley anyway in RE4? Whenever I play it, I think of her as 14-16 years old ... so the overtime remark to a 30 year old guy was kind of aaaaaaaaawkwaaard.

Even funnier than Ashley hitting on Leon is
Leon turning right around and hitting back on Hunnigan without her glasses
. Perfect ending. The game is self-aware enough to pull it all off with finesse.

Not 10 minutes before all that, you have the final boss chastising you about Hollywood movie cliches. Perfect game.

antitrop

I think this will become a sleeper hit that will have a growing fanbase.

Wolfenstein, round 2.

Will be interesting to see if this meets Bethesda's sales expectation. I want to know if Wolfenstein did too.

All we have on how Bethesda feels about Wolfenstein is this quote from Pete Hines shortly after Doom was revealed:

""The last couple of games were either 'ok' or 'not great'," Hines said of Wolfenstein. "It wasn't a franchise where people were desperate for the next one. Wolfenstein isn't Uncharted. We knew this would take some explaining. But developer Machine Games has now untarnished the IP."

So, it seems like we'll get the sequel we deserve.

kodecraft

Steam is by far the best place to keep your games.
I love mine, but I just can't upgrade my PC at the moment. I see people buying the new GTX970 at the Steam thread like it's water, because it's actually cheap for that much power. But when these things come to Brazil, their price more than triple the price because of taxes. So, if I biuld a PC right now, it will be at least 3 times the price of a PS4 here now (which is about $650, not $1800 like when it was announced). But when I get a job I'm certain i'll be upgrading my rig!

I agree, but I am exceptionally interested in the new STEAM machines as well as the STEAM controller. Although they won't release until early next year, I want to experience TEW and Arkham Knight like this.

AsfaeksBR

I agree, but I am exceptionally interested in the new STEAM machines as well as the STEAM controller. Although they won't release until early next year, I want to experience TEW and Arkham Knight like this.

Ooh, I had forgotten about them.
That's actually an awesome thing, since it's basically shaped like a console (even thought you can buy a desktop that looks like a console right now), so I can put it at the side of the consoles. Thanks for the reminder!

kodecraft

Ooh, I had forgotten about them.
That's actually an awesome thing, since it's basically shaped like a console (even thought you can buy a desktop that looks like a console right now), so I can put it at the side of the consoles. Thanks for the reminder!

No problem.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
RE4's off color script is my favorite thing about it. It's not serious like RE5 and RE6, which are annoying with how seriously the games take themselves. Who gives a shit? MIIIIIIIIKEEEEe etc.

Even funnier than Ashley hitting on Leon is
Leon turning right around and hitting back on Hunnigan without her glasses
. Perfect ending. The game is self-aware enough to pull it all off with finesse.

Not 10 minutes before all that, you have the final boss chastising you about Hollywood movie cliches. Perfect game.

Once he said the bingo comment near the start, it truly set the mood for the rest of the dialog that was to follow. LOL

I'm sure you boys didn't just tag along so we could sing "Kumbaya" together at some Boy Scout bonfire.

But then again, maybe you did.

Nibel

Sincerely? It all depends on the reviews.
If the game gets 9+, people will buy it day one.
If it gets 7+, most people will wait a price drop.
Under that, people will bash at Mikami and say he lost his touch.

I don't think that sales can really judge what I mean. A cult classic is a cult classic because of the community and not because of review scores. Deadly Premonition has received very bad review scores but now it's being seen as something special.

Many reviewers have been reserved when it came to Wolfenstein, and look how that turned out: people not only love the game but many also claim it to be their favorite of this year so far.

Wolfenstein, round 2.

This is truly what I hope for.

Forget all the previews - this is Mikami with his own studio doing what he does best with a good budget. Nothing can shake my excitement.

antitrop

RE4's off color script is my favorite thing about it. It's not serious like RE5 and RE6, which are annoying with how seriously the games take themselves. Who gives a shit? MIIIIIIIIKEEEEe etc.
I poured out a beer for MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE last night. :(

Poor MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE. He just wanted to fly a helicopter and he knew a good bar. :(

antitrop

Once he said the bingo comment near the start, it truly set the mood for the rest of the dialog that was to follow. LOL

Before that even, his dialogue with the Spanish Police in the opening cutscene is pretty solidly tongue-in-cheek.

EDIT: I'm bad at double-posting today. :(

Ooccoo

My opinion completely changed about TEW mainly because I'm tired of seeing mindless shit games getting rad reviews or accolades from gamers. This is the real deal, a game created with passion for a dying genre. The amount of details, the set pieces, everything seems carefully crafted. It went from "poor RE4 clone" to me to a "day one purchase" recently. I just hate hate hate the fact they're selling a STORY mission through a season pass, fuck that shit.

Before that even, his dialogue with the Spanish Police in the opening cutscene is pretty solidly tongue-in-cheek.

EDIT: I'm bad at double-posting today. :(

Oh no doubt! Yet it could have just been a funny start, then the bingo came and I was like... this is gonna be GOOD! lol.

Also I don't care what people say about RE4 being horror or not horror... REGENERATORS ARE SCARY AS FUCK!

QzlPERS.gif

AsfaeksBR

Oh no doubt! Yet it could have just been a funny start, then the bingo came and I was like... this is gonna be GOOD! lol.

Also I don't care what people say about RE4 being horror or not horror... REGENERATORS ARE SCARY AS FUCK!

QzlPERS.gif

Oooooooh, I really hope TEW doesn't have an enemy like the Regenerators.
This game seems scary enough already, I can't handle too much!

antitrop

Resident Evil 4 is absolutely a horror game. I wouldn't take anyone seriously that tries to posit otherwise.

Just because its not as scary as the original trilogy, doesn't mean it's not scary, because it is. Often. And it's creative in the ways with which it tries to shock you.

antitrop

Mike is a real cunt, completely worthless at giving support on Professional.

I was glad when they blew up his ass on my RE4 replay last week.

That's cold, I thought Mike was more useful than Luis.

Of course, Luis does most of his work separately from Leon, but still. I thought Leon took Luis' death much harder than it deserved.

Hell, at least Leon had some history with Mike from previous assignments/missions or whatever, he just met Luis a few hours ago locked up in a cupboard and they barely even crossed paths before he got the business end of Saddler's spiky tentacle.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My controversial opinion on the RE series on terms of scariness is;

REmake >>>>> RE4 >> RE2 = RE3 > Dead Aim > Zero = Revelations > Code Veronica

For the main older series (and Revelations) that manage to scare me at all.

That's cold, I thought Mike was more useful than Luis.

Of course, Luis does most of his work separately from Leon, but still. I thought Leon took Luis' death much harder than it deserved.

Hell, at least Leon had some history with Mike from previous assignments/missions or whatever, he just met Luis a few hours ago locked up in a cupboard and they barely even crossed paths before he got the business end of Saddler's spiky tentacle.

But hey, didn't you hear? Luis got something for you guys. -zoom-up on his crotch-

ironcreed

Banned
Oooooooh, I really hope TEW doesn't have an enemy like the Regenerators.
This game seems scary enough already, I can't handle too much!

I think the enemy design is even more disturbing. For instance, take the big guy with a fucking safe on his head:

the_evil_within_15.jpg

or this lovely, errm, lady:

tumblr_myt18kigwT1sj21aeo1_400.gif

antitrop

REmake >>>>> RE4 >> RE2 = RE3 > Dead Aim > Zero > Code Veronica
I think RE4's Oven Man might be the single most startling moment in any RE game, but I'm hardly an expert.

I haven't played REmake in 9 years, either, so of course I'm going to have to give that one a go when the new port comes out next year.

Dusk Golem

Being terrible is a million times better than being boring.
I know you're saying this as a comment to RE4's script (which I don't agree with, I think RE4 is enjoyably hammy and purposely so), the statement a very true to me. A terrible game can still be entertaining I how terrible it is. The worst thing a game could be for me is boring.

Sometimes I'm even in the mood to play terrible games.

I just had a dream about this game(although it was completely unrelated to the actual contents of the game) so I'm suddenly reminded how excited I am. Feels so far away, even though I suppose it's not.

Has there been any details on the differences between difficulties yet? Is it going to thrown in late game enemies in early or anything of that nature?

AsfaeksBR

Resident Evil 5 color is weird. It's basically grey and yellow with a "cold colors" filter on top.
But with the ENB Color Mod, it's a really pretty game!

Here's the Comparion Video showing the difference with and without the filter!

Dusk Golem

I just had a dream about this game(although it was completely unrelated to the actual contents of the game) so I'm suddenly reminded how excited I am. Feels so far away, even though I suppose it's not.

Has there been any details on the differences between difficulties yet? Is it going to thrown in late game enemies in early or anything of that nature?

From the demo I can say that puzzles are different based on what difficulty you play on. On casual mode, there's a eye icon to tell you when you've been spotted.

Mikami had hinted that there may be big changes in the game for te unlockable Akumu difficulty.

I'm not sure about this, but it seemed if you died (which I tried to do on purpose to test things out) on casual the enemies are les randomized.

Top Bottom