• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Nibel

I never had the impression that Leon is particularly superhuman in RE4: controls are limited to a degree which means your flexibility is limited as well, you are always outnumbered and have to decide in mere miliseconds what to shoot and even regular enemies could cause not only huge damage but kill you almost in an instant if you don't take care.

These elements cause a lot of stressful situations that keep you on the edge and create a new thrilling kind of horror. You are constantly under pressure of trying to survive, listening to enemies screaming around you while trying to kill you in the most gruesome ways (those death animations are something you don't want to see again after seeing them once which pushes you even further) and very often you have to fight in very small and narrow locations. Add the constant feel of paranoia which I mentioned above (and which makes the village at the beginning one of the best gaming levels of all time) and you've got yourself a horror game that uses unusual methods to create pressure on the player.

Just thinking about being in this small ass room with a fucking Wolverine-type enemy which suddenly awakes and tries to rip you apart or trying to escape from that black regenerator enemy that looks like the most badass and evil being ever gives me the chills. Resident Evil 4 is through and through a horror game, especially on your first playthrough and those on higher difficulties. People always use the "But it's a action game"-card because they belong to that huuuuuge ass group of people that critisizes a game for what it is not instead for praising it for what it is. You want oldschool RE? Play the oldschool RE games, buy that "HD remake" and have fun with your sea of crushed black. True RE fans should be thankful for Mikami pushing not only their favorite IP but an entire genre to new heights nobody even imagined before.

Now, RE6 is a different story: that is superhuman territory. Player characters can jump around like fucking basketballs in rooms construed with mattresses and have a huge amount of possibilities how to kill the enemies. That's the point: RE6 always looked to be about killing while RE4 always looked to be about actually surviving.

These are just my two cents though. I know a lot of people don't see RE4 as horror game, but to me the game uses new ways of creating tense moments that no horror game tried before. Heck, look at how so many First-Person horror games use a lot of darkness and all those cheap tricks to create a horror atmosphere.. just my opinion. :p

Bl@de

I never had the impression that Leon is particularly superhuman in RE4: controls are limited to a degree which means your flexibility is limited as well, you are always outnumbered and have to decide in mere miliseconds what to shoot and even regular enemies could cause not only huge damage but kill you almost in an instant if you don't take care.

These elements cause a lot of stressful situations that keep you on the edge and create a new thrilling kind of horror. You are constantly under pressure of trying to survive, listening to enemies screaming around you while trying to kill you in the most gruesome ways (those death animations are something you don't want to see again after seeing them once which pushes you even further) and very often you have to fight in very small and narrow locations. Add the constant feel of paranoia which I mentioned above (and which makes the village at the beginning one of the best gaming levels of all time) and you've got yourself a horror game that uses unusual methods to create pressure on the player.

Just thinking about being in this small ass room with a fucking Wolverine-type enemy which suddenly awakes and tries to rip you apart or trying to escape from that black regenerator enemy that looks like the most badass and evil being ever gives me the chills. Resident Evil 4 is through and through a horror game, especially on your first playthrough and those on higher difficulties. People always use the "But it's a action game"-card because they belong to that huuuuuge ass group of people that critisizes a game for what it is not instead for praising it for what it is. You want oldschool RE? Play the oldschool RE games, buy that "HD remake" and have fun with your sea of crushed black. True RE fans should be thankful for Mikami pushing not only their favorite IP but an entire genre to new heights nobody even imagined before.

Now, RE6 is a different story: that is superhuman territory. Player characters can jump around like fucking basketballs in rooms construed with mattresses and have a huge amount of possibilities how to kill the enemies. That's the point: RE6 always looked to be about killing while RE4 always looked to be about actually surviving.

These are just my two cents though. I know a lot of people don't see RE4 as horror game, but to me the game uses new ways of creating tense moments that no horror game tried before. Heck, look at how so many First-Person horror games use a lot of darkness and all those cheap tricks to create a horror atmosphere.. just my opinion. :p

Your opinion ... I like it. I alwasy thought of Re4 as a horrorthriller where as the classic trilogy is simply a different kind of game. I always compare Re1-3 to Alien.
Re1 =.the unknown horror
Re2 = bigger, more action. like alien 2. but still very similar
Re3 = Hunter and hunted. The prison in alien 3 but with guns. Still, against the nemesis guns won't help.

Re4 changed everything... And that was a good thing. Sadly that was the end in the evolution of Resident Evil. From then on it was all about production valies and coop with no vision.

antitrop

I really, really hope they ditch the coop focus with Resident Evil 7. It would have been a neat one-off gimmick if they only used it for RE5, but the fact they doubled-down on the forced coop with RE6 will be forever baffling to me.

AsfaeksBR

I really, really hope they ditch the coop focus with Resident Evil 7. It would have been a neat one-off gimmick if they only used it for RE5, but the fact they doubled-down on the forced coop with RE6 will be forever baffling to me.

Doubt it. Go to the Community Hub of The Evil Within right now and see the numerous people complaining that this game is Single Player only, and saying that it should have co-op because "it's 2014 already" .

Yep - nowadays it's either run away and hide basic stealth or full on Rambo fight the hordes. I guess it must be really hard to make a videogame where having to balance between stealth/fight/flight and make the game both challenging and feel good to play (and on top of that add a really neat encounter shuffle/randomization element).
Yeah that is one of the main reasons why I really want the game to succeed so that developers can strive for that perfect balance of stealth/fight/flight (I love your usage of this).

Btw is Sebastian supposed to be married? Just saw this screenshot and it shows a ring on his hand.

Also the game is supposed to have a prequel comic. Says October 8 for the first issue but it was supposed to come out in August and all 4 issues would have been released before the game did.

AsfaeksBR

There is no worse discussion of video games on the internet than the Steam forums. They are a disease.

Steam Forums is the "deep web" in the "surface web".

And it hurts my heart seeing those "I died by a zombie while eating. Best game 10/10" kind of reviews. People with 0.6hrs of gameplay, small "funny-ish" reviews and these are the most upvoted.

Yeah that is one of the main reasons why I really want the game to succeed so that developers can strive for that perfect balance of stealth/fight/flight (I love your usage of this).

Btw is Sebastian supposed to be married? Just saw this screenshot and it shows a ring on his hand.

Also the game is supposed to have a prequel comic. Says October 8 for the first issue but it was supposed to come out in August and all 4 issues would have been released before the game did.

Wanna bet he gets too into his job and his wife and children left him?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
RE4 isn't horror in the traditional sense, but I'd still call it a horror game. It just isn't one for 100% of the time like the original games.

RE5&6 completely drop the pretense of horror though. Even if their shitty marketing claimed otherwise.
FEAR YOU CAN'T FORGET.

-scenes of traumatic Chris in various scenes experiencing flashes of RE5, which is supposed to be after RE5 but makes no sense to the ending of RE5-

Mikami mentioned in a previous interview about the story (spoiler marking just in case)
Sebastian had a wife ad son who died (not explained how), which prompted him eventually to try and do good for the world as a detective to solve crimes and turned him to the bottle.

I assume the comics were pushed back as the later ones seem to deal with some story elements of the game.

AsfaeksBR

Sebastian
lost his wife
? The game has some SIlent Hill vibes? Hmmmm, I wonder...

And The Evil Within comics? Definately will buy!
Buy I'm pretty sure if the game sells well and receives a Complete Edition (or even GOTY) the digital version will come as a bonus.
And pleeeeeease, it needs to be released for the kindle. I'll only buy it when all the issues are available!

antitrop

Can I get in on this TEW avatar thing? :D

Sorry, I was gonna do this earlier, but then I got high

4Pb3osg.png

I want to believe that they're making it seem like the story is "Sebastian is crazy the whole time!!!" just to fuck with expectations in the final story

That would be so shit if they tried to make it a big reveal or something.......at least it should play well

antitrop

I want to believe that they're making it seem like the story is "Sebastian is crazy the whole time!!!" just to fuck with expectations in the final story

That would be so shit if they tried to make it a big reveal or something.......at least it should play well

I like to call this "Shutter Island syndrome".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dont think I can handle this game ending up being shit :/

frontovik

Banned
Sorry.. is this the discussion thread?

I'm curious to know if there's a retailer where I can buy the PC version of The Evil Within for a cheaper price? I understand that GOG offered a 25% discount for a limited time, but I wasn't able to commit a purchase then.

That being said, the game looks very promising. I'm curious to see how it will compare to Alien Isolation for this year's survival horror experience.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sorry.. is this the discussion thread?

I'm curious to know if there's a retailer where I can buy the PC version of The Evil Within for a cheaper price? I understand that GOG offered a 25% discount for a limited time, but I wasn't able to commit a purchase then.

That being said, the game looks very promising. I'm curious to see how it will compare to Alien Isolation for this year's survival horror experience.

GMG always offers 25% discounts. Wait it out.

-MD-

You want oldschool RE? Play the oldschool RE games, buy that "HD remake" and have fun with your sea of crushed black. True RE fans should be thankful for Mikami pushing not only their favorite IP but an entire genre to new heights nobody even imagined before.

848089.gif

They're doing it again with Revelations 2 so I don't see coop going away.

I mean he had a point til he trailed it with that pretentious dribble.

Managed to ruin an otherwise decent post.

Excellent post is on point

Verger

Banned
Copied from the Nvidia graphics card thread. Nvidia's new drivers released and they have this in the release notes:
New in GeForce Game Ready Drivers

The new GeForce Game Ready driver, release 344.16 BETA, allows GeForce owners to continue to have the ultimate gaming experience. This driver is aligned with today’s launch of the world’s most advanced GPUs—the GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970. With support for NVIDIA G-SYNC Surround displays, gaming has never been more realistic and immersive. In addition, this Game Ready BETA driver ensures you'll have the best possible gaming experience for the latest new blockbuster titles including Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, The Evil Within, F1 2014, and Alien: Isolation.

I have to admit, as someone who is about to get a brand spanking new GTX 970 this coming week, it's great to hear that nvidia seems to have planned for TEW to get good support out of these cards.

Though we will have to wait and see, it bodes well for those on the PC who use nvidia cards. Sorry ATI peoples :(

AsfaeksBR

Just canceled my PS4 pre-order.
I'm torn between a PS4 and a new PC, but I'm leaning more towards the PC.
But with the PC I'll only be able to play it at the end of the year or maybe even next year.

i'm still thinking about it, but I just pre-ordered from GMG and I'm keeping the key without activating it. If I upgrade the PC, I'll upgrade it. If I fall back and go for the PS4, I'll sell the key and buy it on the PS4 instead.

But with the PC I'll only be able to play it at the end of the year or maybe even next year.

i'm still thinking about it, but I just pre-ordered from GMG and I'm keeping the key without activating it. If I upgrade the PC, I'll upgrade it. If I fall back and go for the PS4, I'll sell the key and buy it on the PS4 instead.

I'll double dip if the PC port turns out well, but I'm in the same boat as you and a PC that I was supposed to use for my certifications back in July is now looking like January/February at the earliest.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

Say it ain't so boss, say it ain't so.

I don't think it will be bad on PS4. I'm anxiously looking forward to playing TEW on console.

Dusk Golem

Some speculation, spoiler marking as I'm at least semi-informed on things people may not know. Warning, may be actual spoilers.
There's no way this is just, "it's all in his head and he's cray-cray." Firstly there's a DLC campaign scenario as Juli. Second of all, they want to turn Evil Within into a franchise if the first game performs well enough. Thirdly, a leak from 4Chan back when the game was known as Zwei that has since been proven real said the story involved the main character getting infected with something Junji Ito-style, and as the game goes on it becomes questionable if Sebastian is even human anymore. Fourthly, Mikami serms to place some importance on the plot, and says the plot will take more than one Playthrough to fully understand things, and says there are multiple mysteries involved in the storyline, so I doubt it's simply the low-hanging fruit, "is he crazy." Fifthly, the game had a comic series featuring completely unrelated characters before the events of Evil Within happen and Sebastian and them come to the scene, starring the same sort of monsters Sebastian will face. And on this, the comic descriptions mention monsters "from the minds of the most twisted killers," and makes it sound like the characters in the comic have to face their own manifestations of inner demons. Even in the demo I picked up a file talking about people in the hospital researching how to open a portal, which I think is involved with them researching where imagination and dreams come from, which they believe to be an alternate plane of reality. Ruvik in the newest trailer says he created this world, we can't keep him here. And in-line with all of this, this all fits with the game name, Evil Within/Paycho Break.

AsfaeksBR

Just read everything Dusk Golem wrote in spoiler tags, and all I can say is:

- Oh my God, that's amazing
and
- I hate myself for reading it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh Dusk is back

welcome back Dusk, stop getting banned >_>

Dusk Golem

oh Dusk is back

welcome back Dusk, stop getting banned >_>
Rhaknar! I don't think I've ever been banned before, though. XD; Just been in Europe the last three weeks, and going back home finally on September 26th.

You've joined the TEW hype train~

Just read everything Dusk Golem wrote in spoiler tags, and all I can say is:

- Oh my God, that's amazing
and
- I hate myself for reading it

I think there's a bit more than what I wrote to the game, and elements of the plot I have no idea about
like the connection Sebastian and Ruvik have based in the newest trailer or the after mentioned dead family
, but I also think the facts and tidbits point to the the theory I currently have, which shows I've been following this game too closely. XD;

Very excited to play it and bet a lot of surprises still, though.

I'm pretty surprised that the game still hasn't gone gold yet....

The guys at Tango must be working like mad right about now.

A week ago a Tango employee tweeted their crunching super hard right now and spending whole days in the office, and commented soon he thinks his Psycho will Break. XD

Guessing with 5 versions of the game releasing at once, they have a lot of checking and working to do to optimize them all, fix last-minute minor things, and we can secretly hope a public demo.

dude, me too.

sounds incredible though and makes me even more excited if it proves to be true.

Most of what I stated was things that are true with a bit of speculation mixed in. The only thing not from an official source is the 4Chan rumor, but I'm almost 100% certain it's real now as (4chan rumor spoilers):
A message was posted on 4chan a few months before Project Zwei was revealed as The Evil Within. Poster claimed to be an ex-Bethesda employee, and talked about Wolfenstein, Fallout 4, and Project Zwei. Was right on Wolfenstein, and so far been right on everything TEW related. He said the game had a RE4-style camera, stealth elements, the main enemies were zombie-like, when he left the team had been working on the AI of a giant Lovecraftian-styled octopus-like monster who could turn invisible (which Is similar to the recently revealed Octopus-headed Haunted that can turn invisible, and I think the giant tentacled thing we saw in the recent trailer was what the leak was talking about), said they were working on a large city map mission with multiple areas to explore and you can travel between them in an ambulance you can drive. Said they were also designing some areas for later in the game, some looked rather gothic-horror-like, others looked more steampunk and surreal. Said Junji Ito and Lovecraft were two of the inspirations they were pulling from, Junji Ito mainly in how the main character gets infected early into the game and players are to question as it goes on if he's human anymore. And said that was all he had seen of the project before he left Bethesda in 2012.
So this early rumor was obviously a bit telling on some things.

Top Bottom