• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'd say that's about right for me as well aside from Dead Aim, which I didn't find scary at all. :p
Shh, some of those dark tunnel scenes and jump scares for me, but I played on Hard the first time, which had its challenges (especially final boss).

Code Veronica didn't really scare me. There were cool moments, beautiful music, wonderfully twisted elements, but I never actually experienced the feeling of fear, especially once I uncovered how broken the knife is in that game

Zero's Leechmen gave me a few frights.

Shh, some of those dark tunnel scenes and jump scares for me, but I played on Hard the first time, which had its challenges (especially final boss).

Code Veronica didn't really scare me. There were cool moments, beautiful music, wonderfully twisted elements, but I never actually experienced the feeling of fear, especially once I uncovered how broken the knife is in that game

Zero's Leechmen gave me a few frights.

I want to reply REmake so bad again on the Wii U but waiting for that remaster version at this point,

antitrop

I want to reply REmake so bad again on the Wii U but waiting for that remaster version at this point,

If I've waited 10 years to replay it, I can wait 6 more months. I'm not gonna hook up my GameCube to my HDTV and the high-res character models stand out too much from the low-res backgrounds on Dolphin.

Dusk Golem

Same situation, holding off for Rebirth to not get burned out.

REmake is the only RE game I would consider really continuously scary as opposed to just a few scenes or moments. I could go into that, but I'm sure many others have before.

RE4 is an action game, but also a horror game, and moments like the first encounter with Dr. Salvador, the hedge maze, Regenerators, etc., scared me more than the stuff in the rest of the series outside of REmake.

I thought about playing REmake on Wii U but as Chris this time, but decided to wait for the PS4 remaster.

I'm replaying RE1 on the DS instead. Great version of the game. I like it better than the Director's Cut on the PS1.

RE4's off color script is my favorite thing about it. It's not serious like RE5 and RE6, which are annoying with how seriously the games take themselves. Who gives a shit? MIIIIIIIIKEEEEe etc.

RE4 is like an 80's action movie, RE5 and RE6 is like recent action blockbusters like Battleship.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I know you're saying this as a comment to RE4's script (which I don't agree with, I think RE4 is enjoyably hammy and purposely so), the statement a very true to me. A terrible game can still be entertaining I how terrible it is. The worst thing a game could be for me is boring.

Sometimes I'm even in the mood to play terrible games.

I know RE4's script is goofy on purpose, but I'm not entirely sure the malapropisms and occasional nonsensical grammar were done deliberately. I'd rather believe someone was a bad writer/translator.

To be clear, I think it's terrible in an enjoyable way. I liked constantly wondering "how did this get written?" I wish big budget Japanese games were still that way, but now they've moved on to trying to be serious and well-acted and well-written and falling short of the standards set by the best Western games. That often makes for a self-serious and boring experience.

I don't really know what to expect from TEW's script, but from what we've seen I'm not too worried about it being boring.

Bl@de

My controversial opinion on the RE series on terms of scariness is;

REmake >>>>> RE4 >> RE2 = RE3 > Dead Aim > Zero = Revelations > Code Veronica

For the main older series (and Revelations) that manage to scare me at all.

You're missing RE1 .... the REmake is not the same^^ Because I would rate RE1 lower than REmake but higher than RE2/3^^

EDIT: I am replaying RE1 DC (PSX) right now after finisihing 4,5 and 6 in a row^^ Finished the first part of the mansion. For
me the game is still scarier than RE4. Despite ugly graphics and the age. It's like a classic horror flick^^

AsfaeksBR

Ok guys, you won. I'll download Resident Evil 4 HD right now.
I'll see if I can get used to the "slow aim" from the game. I couldn't even hit the three crows at the beginning because the aim was so slow it wouldn't catch up with the flying one (i screwed up making it fly, I know, but I remember I hit him flying when playign in the PS2 and PS3).

RE4 is like an 80's action movie, RE5 and RE6 is like recent action blockbusters like Battleship.

I'm actually playing through RE6 now (Leon's campaign) and I'm baffled at how a lot of people say that it has good TPS gameplay. Guns feels like toys, enemies have terrible hit reactions, encounter design might as well be non-existent and some of the boss set pieces are just baffling. Just a chore to play through - boring level design and poor pacing. Basically has none of the things that made RE4 good.

I thought about playing REmake on Wii U but as Chris this time, but decided to wait for the PS4 remaster.

I'm replaying RE1 on the DS instead. Great version of the game. I like it better than the Director's Cut on the PS1.

I love Deadly Silence, I played through it myself a few weeks back.

I recently did a playthrough of RE on the Saturn. Great port, I think the character models are superior to the PSX version. Such an incredible game too, the original RE never gets old for me. The game felt more difficult too than Director's Cut but that might have just been my mind.

I'm currently chipping away at Code Veronica: X. Not my favorite, by a long shot, but it has it's moments and I can't deny that it is a really good game overall. I feel like CVX is where RE started to go off the rails. Steve and the Ashford's , what awful characters considering the nature of the first 3 games.

Animator

I'm actually playing through RE6 now (Leon's campaign) and I'm baffled at how a lot of people say that it has good TPS gameplay. Guns feels like toys, enemies have terrible hit reactions, encounter design might as well be non-existent and some of the boss set pieces are just baffling. Just a chore to play through - boring level design and poor pacing. Basically has none of the things that made RE4 good.

RE6 is a shitty game but it has it's moments of brilliance. That snake boss fight in the apartments in the Chris campaign was awesome. Some of the enemy designs are really cool as well. I had fun playing it coop with a friend and laughing at all the ridiculous shit that happens. :)

Yea, 6 is a shit fest for sure.

I went into it thinking, "there's no way this'll be worse than 5" and an hour later I thought, "WOW, 5 really is a great game..." lol.

The way the enemies react to being shot leaves no room for skillful crowd control, the one thing that 4 and 5 did extremely well.

6 is such a ridiculously stupid game. It's just comes off as such a bone-headed approach.

An example of product over-bloat. This is what happens when you have too many developers working on one game. You get trinkets of highlights that really sets it apart from other TPS, but other than that it's excessive padding all the way through.

Meanwhile, the story is so hammered in they really wanted to have all campaigns converge at Tatchi China - clearly a caricature of Hong Kong as I recognize most of the ambience, and the factory style buildings, the franchised transportations and the signs. Pretty accurate I must say, sadly, the rest of the game doesn't carry the weight of all the positives.

I just finished Chris' campaign now. Going to finish Sherry's than Ada's campaign and I'm pretty much done with it.

Dusk Golem

RE6 takes time to sink on, if you try playing it like RE4/RE5 I don't think you'll like it, how you shoot and deal with enemies, dodge and slide with them, and use weapons is very different and there's a lot of shit the game doesn't explain to you.

Those who are saying the enemies don't react are doing what I dd when I first played and tryin to play it like RE4/RE5, I did that at first too and ha the same thoughts, but with practice (and Mercenaries Mode) you'll get a better handling of how to play the game than instinct. XD;

Explaining it in words won't do a good job, I should make a video of how to play RE6. XD; It's hard to explain without being there with examples.

antitrop

The combat system works terribly in RE6, the way the campaigns were designed.

It works perfectly in Mercs, though.

I can't speak to all of the enemy designs (I actually kinda enjoyed the Deborah boss fight) - but I really hate the fact that enemies have shitty hit reactions. The bigger, fat zombie enemy I just run past when I can because they're just bullet sponges and so boring to fight against.

Yup, it always feels like you're shooting enemies in RE6 with nerf guns. Just the way it is.

RE6 is a shitty game but it has it's moments of brilliance. That snake boss fight in the apartments in the Chris campaign was awesome. Some of the enemy designs are really cool as well. I had fun playing it coop with a friend and laughing at all the ridiculous shit that happens. :)

I can't speak to all of the enemy designs (I actually kinda enjoyed the Deborah boss fight) - but I really hate the fact that enemies have shitty hit reactions. The bigger, fat zombie enemy I just run past when I can because they're just bullet sponges and so boring to fight against.

antitrop

As long as they don't throw some snakes in boxes or barrels, I think I'll be ok. I hope.

Please no snakes

Crate Snake was the only thing that gave Oven Man a run for his money in the "HOLY SHIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" department. =/

Not quite as bad as a Mimic from Dark Souls, though.

Dusk Golem

The legs. The fat guys weakpoits is to tear up their kneecaps, they're super weak there. Their body is meant to be a sponge, but their legs are super weak.

My favors strategy is shooting their front kneecap then sliding past them and then turning while sliding to shoot the back of their kneecaps and then running up and melee them as they stumble.

Foggy

No worries, there's no crate snakes.

There's now randomized bombs inside openable chests if you open too fast, though.

Oh joy!

No snakes that you know of!

Crate Snake was the only thing that gave Oven Man a run for his money in the "HOLY SHIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" department. =/

Not quite as bad as a Mimic from Dark Souls, though.

Damn, I forgot about oven man! As much as I hate the snake jump scares, it's actually handled really well. Like some of the best jump scares, it allows you a half a second to register the still image, subconsciously understand something wrong, and then BAM! it jumps at your face! Once I got the Chicago Typewriter, every box and barrel was getting shot!

antitrop

Damn, I forgot about oven man! As much as I hate the snake jump scares, it's actually handled really well. Like some of the best jump scares, it allows you a half a second to register the still image, subconsciously understand something wrong, and then BAM! it jumps at your face! Once I got the Chicago Typewriter, every box and barrel was getting shot!

Yup, it only does half a bar of damage, but you feel that hit as much as any pitchfork from a Ganado.

Yea, 6 is a shit fest for sure.

I went into it thinking, "there's no way this'll be worse than 5" and an hour later I thought, "WOW, 5 really is a great game..." lol.

The way the enemies react to being shot leaves no room for skillful crowd control, the one thing that 4 and 5 did extremely well.

6 is such a ridiculously stupid game. It's just comes off as such a bone-headed approach.

Yeah, one thing I can say is that it's making me appreciate RE5 more.

An example of product over-bloat. This is what happens when you have too many developers working on one game. You get trinkets of highlights that really sets it apart from other TPS, but other than that it's excessive padding all the way through.

Meanwhile, the story is so hammered in they really wanted to have all campaigns converge at Tatchi China - clearly a caricature of Hong Kong as I recognize most of the ambience, and the factory style buildings, the franchised transportations and the signs. Pretty accurate I must say, sadly, the rest of the game doesn't carry the weight of all the positives.

I just finished Chris' campaign now. Going to finish Sherry's than Ada's campaign and I'm pretty much done with it.

I was gonna say, it feels like the game was designed in a boardroom. It has no vision.

The combat system works terribly in RE6, the way the campaigns were designed.

It works perfectly in Mercs, though.

Yup, it always feels like you're shooting enemies in RE6 with nerf guns. Just the way it is.

Definitely gonna give Mercs a go after the campaign.

The legs. The fat guys weakpoits is to tear up their kneecaps, they're super weak there. Their body is meant to be a sponge, but their legs are super weak.

My favors strategy is shooting their front kneecap then sliding past them and then turning while sliding to shoot the back of their kneecaps and then running up and melee them as they stumble.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that when I come across them again.

xezuru

Wow this thread had a lot of twist and turns while I was ded.
For those replaying things to feel the hype succumb over them...
Iunno, I feel like RE5 Mansion DLC is the closest thing after RE4 you're gonna get.

AsfaeksBR

Wow this thread had a lot of twist and turns while I was ded.
For those replaying things to feel the hype succumb over them...
Iunno, I feel like RE5 Mansion DLC is the closest thing after RE4 you're gonna get.

Lost in Nightmare is amazing. The opening of the doors are the creepier parts of the DLC!

The best thing about LiN is the item/weapon randomization, and the difference in enemy placement depending on difficulty.

I remember playing it online with my friend once on Professional. I won't spoil it, but something completely unexpected happened and we were both screaming at the top of our lungs through our mics. It was fucking hilarious. Keep in mind that this was our third time in a row playing it, so it completely threw us off guard.

With that said, LiN is absolutely dreadful in single player. Didn't enjoy it much that way.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Resident Evil 4 is absolutely a horror game. I wouldn't take anyone seriously that tries to posit otherwise.

Just because its not as scary as the original trilogy, doesn't mean it's not scary, because it is. Often. And it's creative in the ways with which it tries to shock you.

How can a game be scary when you are controlling a super hero?

AsfaeksBR

The best thing about LiN is the item/weapon randomization, and the difference in enemy placement depending on difficulty.

I remember playing it online with my friend once on Professional. I won't spoil it, but something completely unexpected happened and we were both screaming at the top of our lungs through our mics. It was fucking hilarious. Keep in mind that this was our third time in a row playing it, so it completely threw us off guard.

With that said, LiN is absolutely dreadful in single player. Didn't enjoy it much that way.

At first, I had the feeling that a zombie would jump out on me while I was opening the door, but after 5 doors that feeling passed. Around 50 minutes in the game, BAM. Caught me completely off guard.

Nibel

Resident Evil 4 creates a feeling of horror by making putting you in a setting you don't understand and giving you the constant threat of being surrounded by dozens of enemies. Paranoia plays a huge role I think.

A lot of people say it isn't a horror game, but in my opinion it still has a lot of horror elements by throwing always something new at you around every corner.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Resident Evil 4 creates a feeling of horror by making putting you in a setting you don't understand and giving you the constant threat of being surrounded by dozens of enemies. Paranoia plays a huge role I think.

A lot of people say it isn't a horror game, but in my opinion it still has a lot of horror elements by throwing always something new at you around every corner.

Yeah, I thought they toned down the horror a lot aside from the initial chainsaw man encounter when I first played it on the GC all that time ago and classified it as not really horror. When I played RE5 I gained a lot more respect for 4 and realize I was being silly.

RE4 isn't horror in the traditional sense, but I'd still call it a horror game. It just isn't one for 100% of the time like the original games.

RE5&6 completely drop the pretense of horror though. Even if their shitty marketing claimed otherwise.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

When I play the game now, for the 10th time, I'm a super hero. The first time I played it I had hardly any experience with 3D shooting games. The character may have been highly capable, but as a player I was not. It was as tense and "scary" as any video game had ever been for me.

Why are the older RE games scary? Because you're weak and clumsy and have limited saves? That made me scared of failure because failure was annoying. In RE4, I was tense and every kill was a little dose of relief, which was a more sustainable and engaging type of fear.

Maybe I just don't give a shit if a game is "scary" and would rather it be engaging on a mechanical level in addition to an atmospheric level. RE4 achieves that for me. Older REs do not.

When I play the game now, for the 10th time, I'm a super hero. The first time I played it I had hardly any experience with 3D shooting games. The character may have been highly capable, but as a player I was not. It was as tense and "scary" as any video game had ever been for me.

Why are the older RE games scary? Because you're weak and clumsy and have limited saves? That made me scared of failure because failure was annoying. In RE4, I was tense and every kill was a little dose of relief, which was a more sustainable and engaging type of fear.

Maybe I just don't give a shit if a game is "scary" and would rather it be engaging on a mechanical level in addition to an atmospheric level. RE4 achieves that for me. Older REs do not.

I see what you're saying but the old RE's aren't held back by their controls, camera angles and limited saving. RE 1-3 and even CV:X play so damn good. You just have to know how to approach them. I love the old RE's far more than 4-6, though I really enjoy 4, it's a brilliant game.

The early RE titles really require finesse when dodging zombies and whatnot. They are so incredibly brilliant but certain aspects of the games have been stigmatized. It's a shame too because it probably keeps younger gamers from exploring these titles and truly enjoying them for what they are.

This. Shoot both legs till they get bloody, at that point he will fall on his knees. Then you can use a coup-de-grace.

I think enemies reactions are good. You just need to hit them in the right place or use the right weapons. Hell an entire game mechanic is based on enemies reactions. And you can also use quickshots (and even the slide) to stun them easily.

kodecraft

It is impossible to be frightened while controlling Leon the terminator.

I don't get this. When you play Mercenaries all of the characters have some sort of counter and survival ability.

In Separate Ways, Ada explains Leon has an uncanny ability to survive. Playing RE4 shows that. Leon is just a bad ass, nothing super human about it. It's like a superior athlete compared to an average one.

Top Bottom