• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

antitrop

Nice one :) yeah Vanquish

tumblr_lzmsxxk2vi1r1jr6xo3_500.gif

Really odd, some months ago the press was not impressed with it and was slightly saying this game is meh, and now with a better build and almost finish with completion they totally changed their mind, that is interesting.

-MD-

Really odd, some months ago the press was not impressed with it and was slightly saying this game is meh, and now with a better build and almost finish with completion they totally changed their mind, that is interesting.

All the trashing the media did to the game was mostly from before any of them had a chance to actually play the game.

No worries, you're just caught up in the hype. I watched the vid when you posted it so all info is good info.

Like I said it was unlisted, but still my fault. I just hope the folks at Game Informer accept my appology. I don't mean to be on anyones bad side whatsoever or disrespect anyone either or their work. Not my aim in the slightest.

All the trashing the media did to the game was mostly from before any of them had a chance to actually play the game.

Thought so, but how can the media rate a game anyway just on pictures or videos alone...
Journalists and the media in particular should know better already.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thought so, but how can the media rate a game anyway just on pictures or videos alone...
Journalists and the media in particular should know better already.

Oh it's easy, just swing to the music and imagine a controller in your hand.

You can pretend you're playing because a lot of games seem to have a linear path. You may swing a camera around or say you know how something feels without actually playing it. Take those E3 trailers for instance. I've played enough CoD to know how a sneaking mission is like or how throwing a grenade feels like. If they threw something up at a wall. I know I'll push the same button but with the joystick pointed up.

They probably wanted it to go inside someplace with the camera zooming in on them like they were at the Hollywood premiere. They probably expected gun fire to be this huge explosion or something. I can only imagine. With an ego, all things are possible.

Heck, I think I'm playing Tekken without my TV or PS3 turned on. I think I might be winning too. lol

You could be jumping in Advanced Warfare right now and not even realize it. You've played enough games to have someone come out thinking you just started. That's the only logic I can make when I hear something from a person who didn't even play games when RE1-3 were in the popular conversation or when they just came out. We're looking for things that they (the media) aren't necessarily concerned about.

antitrop

Wait, Mikami made Vanquish?
I always thought it was Kamiya...

Here is each one's games while serving as Director:

Mikami
---------

Resident Evil - 1996 - Director/Producer
Dino Crisis - 1999 - Director/Producer
Resident Evil (remake) - 2002 - Director
P.N.03 - 2003 - Director
Resident Evil 4 - 2005 - Director
God Hand - 2006 - Director
Vanquish - 2010 - Director
The Evil Within - 2014 - Director

Kamiya
----------

Resident Evil 2 - 1998 - Director
Devil May Cry - 2001 - Director
Viewtiful Joe - 2003 - Director
Ōkami - 2006 - Story/Director
Bayonetta - 2009 - Story/Director
The Wonderful 101 - 2013 - Story/Director
Scalebound - TBA - Director

Oh it's easy, just swing to the music and imagine a controller in your hand.

You can pretend you're playing because a lot of games seem to have a linear path. You may swing a camera around or say you know how something feels without actually playing it. Take those E3 trailers for instance. I've played enough CoD to know how a sneaking mission is like or how throwing a grenade feels like. If they threw something up at a wall. I know I'll push the same button but with the joystick pointed up.

They probably wanted it to go inside someplace with the camera zooming in on them like they were at the Hollywood premiere. They probably expected gun fire to be this huge explosion or something. I can only imagine. With an ego, all things are possible.

Heck, I think I'm playing Tekken without my TV or PS3 turned on. I think I might be winning too. lol

You could be jumping in Advanced Warfare right now and not even realize it. You've played enough games to have someone come out thinking you just started. That's the only logic I can make when I hear something from a person who didn't even play games when RE1-3 were in the popular conversation or when they just came out. We're looking for things that they (the media) aren't necessarily concerned about.

Okay, makes sense, seems the media is not objective, I thought they should be though?
Well, the things I've seen so far Trailers and Screenshots look promising, even if the media would give this game bad scores, I would buy it still for PC nonetheless.
Problem is many people are influenced by scores and reviews, I hope Mikami has success with this game.

Mikami
---------

P.N.03 - 2003 - Director

Kamiya
----------

It really is amazing when you see it all listed out...

Mikami
---------

P.N.03 - 2003 - Director

Kamiya
----------

The worst one in the entire list is PN 03 and can't blame for the way it was due to dev time. Otherwise, I fucking love all those other games. :D Not to say I didn't enjoy PN03, played it a few times, but it's the weakest out of all of them imo.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Okay, makes sense, seems the media is not objective, I thought they should be though?
Well, the things I've seen so far Trailers and Screenshots look promising, even if the media would give this game bad scores, I would buy it still for PC nonetheless.
Problem is many people are influenced by scores and reviews, I hope Mikami has success with this game.

The people who adore RE are also older (not terribly old), just older. I remember when Code Veronica came out on the Dreamcast. It was the hottest game out there to me. Same with RE1-3. I remember it was the pickup game if you bought a PSOne. I rented RE1 dozens and dozens of times because there was simply nothing out that did what that series did.

In retrospect, that wouldn't happen now. Even if RE sticks with their formula. There's such a wider field and everyone has looked away to the same thing being done by someone else. That's where I think Mikami has more appeal. He helped define a genre for over a decade. I just think people stop to look at that and they focus on that raw criticism. I also think today's market is beyond critical sometimes. We're past good graphics at this point generally speaking. We can't take a game that has PSOne graphics and put it up there with say CoD or Forza.

The people who adore RE are also older (not terribly old), just older. I remember when Code Veronica came out on the Dreamcast. It was the hottest game out there to me. Same with RE1-3. I remember it was the pickup game if you bought a PSOne. I rented RE1 dozens and dozens of times because there was simply nothing out that did what that series did.

In retrospect, that wouldn't happen now. Even if RE sticks with their formula. There's such a wider field and everyone has looked away to the same thing being done by someone else. That's where I think Mikami has more appeal. He helped define a genre for over a decade. I just think people stop to look at that and they focus on that raw criticism. I also think today's market is beyond critical sometimes. We're past good graphics at this point generally speaking. We can't take a game that has PSOne graphics and put it up there with say CoD or Forza.

Yea, I'm 29 and Resident Evil is easily my favorite game of all time. I literally play through it 1-2 times a month, more so lately because I'm so pumped for The Evil Within. It's just so brilliantly put together, never gets old to me. It's one of those games where it seems everyone remembers their first playthrough. Just pure terror, apprehension and the feeling of mystery as to what exactly was going on in the mansion, it was something I'd never experienced in a game, so awesome.

Yeah, fixed cameras wouldn't work anymore, the audience is much broaden now, and most people do not even know the name of Mikami, they said that dude which created RE. I really look forward to it, and how the idTech5 engine works with this game, cannot wait.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yea, I'm 29 and Resident Evil is easily my favorite game of all time. I literally play through it 1-2 times a month, more so lately because I'm so pumped for The Evil Within. It's just so brilliantly put together, never gets old to me. It's one of those games where it seems everyone remembers their first playthrough. Just pure terror, apprehension and the feeling of mystery as to what exactly was going on in the mansion, it was something I'd never experienced in a game, so awesome.

Yup we were born on the same year. Even when I see things like The Walking Dead or DayZ/7 Days to Die I think of RE. It defined being attacked by zombies. You even put it better than me.

Yeah, fixed cameras wouldn't work anymore, the audience is much broaden now, and most people do not even know the name of Mikami, they said that dude which created RE. I really look forward to it, and how the idTech5 engine works with this game, cannot wait.

Plus the box art, we probably won't see anything like that again.

@SlasherJPC

I apologize for any inconveniences caused on my part (posting a link to your private video). I found the link to the video on evilwithin.net forums. I didn't even know it was yours.

@SlasherJPC

I apologize for any inconveniences caused on my part (posting a link to your private video). I found the link to the video on evilwithin.net forums. I didn't even know it was yours.

I apologize for making the topic, I didn't know either. DX

No need to appologize guys. It's my fault. I've already spoke with Game Informer via email on the situation and appologized. It's all good. :D

Getting a copyright strike just means you're part of a special club, now.

The sad part is it won't be removed from my channel till March, 2015. HOLY SHIT that sucks! Oddly enough it doesn'tprevent me from 15 minute or longer videos. Just a few other abilities, streaming,etc. Now that've I've discussed via email with Game Informer, I asked if they could remove it. Will see what happens.

Sanctuary

My controversial opinion on the RE series on terms of scariness is;

REmake >>>>> RE4 >> RE2 = RE3 > Dead Aim > Zero = Revelations > Code Veronica

I wouldn't argue against REmake being number one in that regard, but RE4 being "scarier" than RE2? What the fuck? It had great atmosphere and some really tense moments, but no way was it creepier or have as many joy-buzzer moments. Also, if RE2 got the REmake treatment like was initially promised, it would be no contest.

Guys, the running animation could have been much worse.

I mean they could have left it like this (go to the 7:15 mark)

Clearly the atmosphere was thicker in that build.

Found all this in storage at my folks today!

WMnwDCJ.jpg

I've actually been wearing that shirt since release, and still do. It's definitely showing its age though.

Also, since when was anyone arguing that RE4 was not a horror game? Is this new? The argument has always been that it's not a Survival Horror game, and it really isn't. It's Action/Horror. Horror is a really generic term anyway, because it can encompass things that are not "scary" at all like your generic slasher flick, movies that rely on jump out shock scares, or things that have very little if no blood at all but are very unsettling anyway.

I wouldn't argue against REmake being number one in that regard, but RE4 being "scarier" than RE2? What the fuck? It had great atmosphere and some really tense moments, but no way was it creepier or have as many joy-buzzer moments. Also, if RE2 got the REmake treatment like was initially promised, it would be no contest.

RE2 is more 'scary' than RE4 in terms of jumping out of your seat, but that's because it's built around clever jump scares. RE4 only has one real jump scare (oven man).

I think RE4 is definitely scarier than RE2 though for a number of reasons.

1) I found the ganados to be a lot scarier than zombies. They are faster, smarter, and utterly overwhelming when they surround you. Also, I think they are scarier because they seem like normal people, but there's something 'off' about them, and when they are slowly advancing on you with knives and pitchforks it's a pretty disturbing feeling for me.

2) It is built upon defying player expectations and constantly throwing new things at you, so you never know what to expect. The first chainsaw guy, del lago, the hedge maze, verdugo, IT, the garrador. They are all unexpected moments/adversaries, and they don't take it easy on you at all. You have to be on your toes the whole time.

3) I personally find the closer camera of 4 to be scarier than the fixed angles of 2 (for the most part). Keep in mind, I absolutely love the fixed angles and they really add to the atmosphere of the game and are key to how it functions (REmake in particular makes really great use of the angles), but I find those pulled back cameras make me a little more divorced from the action and horror. The more claustrophobic camera in 4 makes me empathize with Leon even more, and it also has the double purpose of making it hard to have situational awareness, especially when aiming.

4) I personally think that the village in RE4 is the creepiest RE environment next to REmake's mansion. It's seems so remote, lonely, and, most of all, believable in a way. It's not the kind of place you want to be with a bunch of rural people inexplicably trying to kill you. It feels uncaring, and isn't as over the top as other RE locations (even within the same game).

Overall I think the constant tension of 4 is scarier than 2's jump scares.

-Cwalat-

Mikami
---------

P.N.03 - 2003 - Director
Resident Evil 7 - 2016 - Director/Producer

Only he has the power to bring the series back to its glory days.

AsfaeksBR

I think I'm almost certain that i'll biuld a new PC instead of going back to consoles.
I jus need to talk to my brother first, and when I'm 100% sure I'll activate the key on my Steam account.

But I'll probably only play it in late December/ January :'''(

antitrop

I think I'm almost certain that i'll biuld a new PC instead of going back to consoles.
I jus need to talk to my brother first, and when I'm 100% sure I'll activate the key on my Steam account.

That GTX 970 looks mighty tempting, no?

Maybe rent the game on consoles till you get your new PC?

AsfaeksBR

That GTX 970 looks mighty tempting, no?

Not in Brazil. It's double the price of the GTX760 right now, so I'll be holding off of it.
But when I need to upgrade my soon-to-be rig, i'll keep the GTX760 for PhysX only.

My soon(hopefully)-to-be rig specs:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
Gigabyte GeForce GTX760 Windforce 2GB DDR5
Gigabyte p/ Intel GA-Z97M-D3H LGA 1150
Corsair TX650M 650W Reais ATX/EPS
2x Memória Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
HD Seagate SATA III Barracuda 7200 1TB
Kingston SSD 2.5´ 120 GB V300 SATA III
Corsair WaterCooler Hydro Series - High Performance H60
BitFenix Prodigy Black BFC-PRO-300-KKXSK-RP

Maybe rent the game on consoles till you get your new PC?

I'll be able to run it on my Notebook, but on the lowest setting (medium if it's well optimized).
But I rally don't want to play it without proper lightning and shadows. If these two aren't set to Maximum in a "horror" game, I rather back off.

Sanctuary

Overall I think the constant tension of 4 is scarier than 2's jump scares.

I agree that in general it had more tense situations (in an arcadey way), but it doesn't have the same atmosphere at all (I'm not complaining mind you since I loved RE4's atmosphere). I just don't really feel it's the creepiest of the two, and I honestly didn't have as many "I'm fucked" moments with RE4 or having to worry about ammo. Leon wasn't a "Terminator", but he was an army surplus store. This is especially apparent if you played the majority of the series up until RE4. You learned how to conserve as much as possible and that mentality transfers over. When applying that to RE4, you end up with a silo full of ammo even counting the fact that the game had a lot more enemies thrown at you.

I think the transition between RE and RE2 was phenomenal. Probably the most significant jump until RE4 decided to change up the status quo. RE had its really creepy moments and some gross out situations, but RE2 just ramped it up beyond 11 in literally every area. By the time RE4 arrived, there wasn't a whole lot to really be shocked over in terms of enemy designs or sound effects. Also, all of the "HD remasters" are fucking dumb. REmake is so far the only real remaster in my opinion and how they should be handled if a game is going to get a rerelease. RE4 has not received similar treatment, even with the PS3/360/PC releases. The only real improvement so far has been the more recent 60fps on PC.

Also: Codedlo, codedlo, codedlo, codedloooowwww...

Gbraga

Not in Brazil. It's double the price of the GTX760 right now, so I'll be holding off of it.
But when I need to upgrade my soon-to-be rig, i'll keep the GTX760 for PhysX only.

My soon(hopefully)-to-be rig specs:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
Gigabyte GeForce GTX760 Windforce 2GB DDR5
Gigabyte p/ Intel GA-Z97M-D3H LGA 1150
Corsair TX650M 650W Reais ATX/EPS
2x Memória Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
HD Seagate SATA III Barracuda 7200 1TB
Kingston SSD 2.5´ 120 GB V300 SATA III
Corsair WaterCooler Hydro Series - High Performance H60
BitFenix Prodigy Black BFC-PRO-300-KKXSK-RP

I'll be able to run it on my Notebook, but on the lowest setting (medium if it's well optimized).
But I rally don't want to play it without proper lightning and shadows. If these two aren't set to Maximum in a "horror" game, I rather back off.

You can get the 970 for around R$1300,00, I think it's a pretty good deal, actually.

Not perfect, but way better than I imagined.

How's the combat in this? Is it anything like xcom enemy within?

I'm curious, what gave you that impression? Hahaha

Top Bottom