• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

Something tells me the game will go gold on the end of September.
Almost 3 weeks should be enough to press the games, and ship them to the retailers.

This was posted on Facebook yesterday:

1AWqiIj.jpg

"Isolation and degradation only add to the atmosphere of The Evil Within."

Nibel

Have we seen any PC footage? I wish they'd release an PC graphics settings video or something!

I think the videos from Gronkh (German Let's Play Youtuber) are from the PC version.

You can deactivate the black bars, grain filter and customize some other stuff if I remember correctly. Also, depending on how much of the old id Tech 5 code they left in it, you should be perfectly able to play this if you have been able to play Wolfenstein or RAGE. But this is just speculation on my part.

I can confirm this. They also drop ammo :D

I can't wait to play as Juli. Love her design and personality.

Awesome. :D

Wanna bet he gets too into his job and his wife and children left him?
Lol... atleast they aren't going that route completely.

Mikami mentioned in a previous interview about the story (spoiler marking just in case)
Sebastian had a wife ad son who died (not explained how), which prompted him eventually to try and do good for the world as a detective to solve crimes and turned him to the bottle.

I assume the comics were pushed back as the later ones seem to deal with some story elements of the game.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

Grief.exe

I try and stay in the dark for games I'm getting so I am not watching that Game informer preview.

Stay As ambiguous As possible, but what is hyping everyone up?

antitrop

Two guys saying they really liked the game, nothing much to it actually.
I was just really excited about what they took
away from the game, we've come a long way since the IGN preview that essentially told everyone to just write the game off.

They basically said it was like Saw + Silent Hill + Resident Evil 4 + Eternal Darkness + The logical progression of horror-RE. And then some.

I was just really excited about what they took
away from the game, we've come a long way since the IGN preview that essentially told everyone to just write the game off.

They basically said it was like Saw + Silent Hill + Resident Evil 4 + Eternal Darkness + The logical progression of horror-RE. And then some.

And the fact that they just seemed be be super excited for it and claimed it played very well overall. If the preview is any indication of their review, I see it getting a high score from GI at least.

Also noticed this in the TGS trailer. WTF is it? http://i.imgur.com/NrARxp0.jpg Almost looks
like it has two heads, I think I see the outline of another face on the left side in the shadows

I've seen very little footage of the game, but it somewhat worries me that the game seems to throw pretty much the kitchen sink of horror elements into a single game. I hope everything comes together to form a cohesive game with a strong identity.

I've seen very little footage of the game, but it somewhat worries me that the game seems to throw pretty much the kitchen sink of horror elements into a single game. I hope everything comes together to form a cohesive game with a strong identity.

Well it appears from what the game informer preview/article says, he mentions how they do throw a lot of things into the floor, but they give the impressions it's all done very well and makes sense within the confines of the story. Only time will tell, but at least they don't think it feels disjointed in its structure at this point.

antitrop

And the fact that they just seemed be be super excited for it and claimed it played very well overall. If the preview is any indication of their review, I see it getting a high score from GI at least.

Also noticed this in the TGS trailer. WTF is it? http://i.imgur.com/NrARxp0.jpg Almost looks
like it has two heads, I think I see the outline of another face on the left side in the shadows
A low score from GI is an 8.0, so we'll see.

lyrGGcp.png

One of the most positive things they had to say was that it felt like it all worked well together. Of course, they only played the first 5 chapters, so it could certainly all fall apart in the middle.

AsfaeksBR

By now, I think it's safe to say that what really can harm the game's score is Intense Texture Pop-in (let's hope it's the minimum as possible, less than Wolfenstein)

antitrop

By now, I think it's safe to say that what really can harm the game's score is Intense Texture Pop-in (let's hope it's the minimum as possible, less than Wolfenstein)

- Lack of multiplayer
- iDTech 5 tech issues
- Overt difficulty

Those are obvious things that won't sit well with certain reviewers. Hopefully the ones that matter actually review the game for what it is and not what they think it should be.

I still remember some (terrible) reviews criticizing RE4 for the inability to move and shoot. Okay, maybe a quick sidestep to dodge hatchet throws would have been useful, but not the whole enchilada like they were asking for.

Supergluing RE6's combat system onto RE4 (which is essentially what some reviewers wanted back in 2005) would absolutely destroy the very core of the game.

One of the most positive things they had to say was that it felt like it all worked well together. Of course, they only played the first 5 chapters, so it could certainly all fall apart in the middle.

Looks like the Mikami trademarks of variety and good pacing are intact in TEW. Coupled with the fun, tactical gunplay, this should by all rights be another survival horror masterpiece from him. Best thing is, the guy isn't repeating himself - TEW feels new and fresh in a lot of ways.

mattp

the only thing that kind of bums me out from that GI video is the mention that it's mostly linear like re4, with sections that open up like the village
not that i didnt like that, but i was really hoping for something closer to re1's mansion. where you become intimate with the environment because you spend the entire game, or at least long stretches of it, in the same map

the only thing that kind of bums me out from that GI video is the mention that it's mostly linear like re4, with sections that open up like the village
not that i didnt like that, but i was really hoping for something closer to re1's mansion. where you become intimate with the environment because you spend the entire game, or at least long stretches of it, in the same map

The village was not open at all. There were big areas where big battles went down, but it was still completely linear. According to what I read about the mansion demo in TEW, it's more along the lines of the RE1 mansion in terms of where you can go.

Every new video is so tempting but I've been in the dark since just before the TGS trailer.

It's so hard to not look.

I've found the more footage you watch, the harder it becomes to do a media blackout. For games I look forward to, I don't watch any more than two trailers for it. For TEW I've seen only one trailer. Horror games are ESPECIALLY important to go in as fresh as possible imo.

mattp

The village was not open at all. There were big areas where big battles went down, but it was still completely linear. According to what I read about the mansion demo in TEW, it's more along the lines of the RE1 mansion in terms of where you can go.

yeah i know, that was my point. but i wouldnt say its ENTIRELY linear, you can still run around and explore

Biker19

Banned
You want oldschool RE? Play the oldschool RE games, buy that "HD remake" and have fun with your sea of crushed black. True RE fans should be thankful for Mikami pushing not only their favorite IP but an entire genre to new heights nobody even imagined before.

You're kidding, right? If anything, RE got worse after RE 4, & Mikami wasn't even on RE 5 & 6.

Why isn't that GI video public, yet?

No idea but the video was unlisted for a reason and now it's gone. I got a copyright strike on that, so hope you all enjoyed it while it lasted. My fault though. Not doing that EVER again. Wanna see the video, better sign up for gameinformer digital versions. This is what happenes when you want people to get more excited for a game.

Vaiim

The TEW demo mansion is kinda similar to RE1, but be aware it is far far smaller. There's also much less backtracking/revisiting. But yes it is an area you can explore in your own way, and that is awesome! I just hope there are also bigger areas, that are similar to it.

antitrop

No idea but the video was unlisted for a reason and now it's gone. I got a copyright strike on that, so hope you all enjoyed it while it lasted. My fault though. Not doing that EVER again. Wanna see the video, better sign up for gameinformer digital versions. This is what happenes when you want people to get more excited for a game.

You have to pay for a video of two guys sitting at their office desk talking about a game demo they just played?

Fucking lol

Anyone remember The 1up Show?

You have to pay for a video of two guys sitting at their office desk talking about a game demo they just played?

Fucking lol

Anyone remember The 1up Show?

It's content exclusive to their magazine, so I can understand a bit more. It's my fault and error for uploading the video in the first place. I did it for a friend as the video was unlisted and then it got spread around. Wasn't my intention, and I've emailed Game Informer on the issue. Anyways, hopefully they will chose to reveal the video again in the near future for more people to see, it's really well done.

The TEW demo mansion is kinda similar to RE1, but be aware it is far far smaller. There's also much less backtracking/revisiting. But yes it is an area you can explore in your own way, and that is awesome! I just hope there are also bigger areas, that are similar to it.

Yes, smaller, of course. The RE1 mansion was 75-80% of the game while the one in TEW is a single chapter (I think). I haven't seen it but I was happy to read you could explore it in your own way.

Nibel

Welp, never upload anything that isn't 100% yours. Though in this case.. well, yeah.

lemmykoopa

Even if this ends up getting mediocre review I'm still buying it to support Shinji Mikami. That man has made 3 of my top 5 favorite games ever.

Top Bottom