• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

lt519

Ep 4:
cool space battle! feels like submarine combat. Faraway ships firing torpedoes at each other - fights taking place over millions of kilometers. Nice.

edit: oh shit, what a brutal way to go. I didn't expect to see that level of gore on a syfy show.

Ep4 Spoiler
Holden's no gravity move to save Naomi was baller and that orb of blood just falling down when gravity kicked in was super gnarly, was not expecting that. All of it so cool.

Glad everyone is enjoying it!

Kvik

Episode 3

Why Havelock didn't go to a proper language teacher? But I suppose if your teacher is very attractive and wearing lingerie all the time, it really didn't sound so boring. I wonder what pill was the MCRN interrogator eating each time? I liked how he tried to turn each crew against each other (and with varying degree of success)

Onto episode 4 tonight.

Episode 3

Why Havelock didn't go to a proper language teacher? But I suppose if your teacher is very attractive and wearing lingerie all the time, it really didn't sound so boring. I wonder what pill was the MCRN interrogator eating each time? I liked how he tried to turn each crew against each other (and with varying degree of success)

Onto episode 4 tonight.

I doubt there are language teachers for belter creole, at least on Ceres.

suzu

I've liked what I watched so far, so I hope this show does well. Now to wait for the new episodes. Ahhh.

DieH@rd

Banned
Episode 3

Onto episode 4 tonight.

Sense-enhancing drugs, so he can perceive all subtle reactions from the crew and identify the lies/truths.

Is it me or is the sound mix pretty bad? Even the characters without an accent are hard to understand. Luckily I've read the first book so I just deal with it but I feel bad for new comers.

lt519

Is it me or is the sound mix pretty bad? Even the characters without an accent are hard to understand. Luckily I've read the first book so I just deal with it but I feel bad for new comers.

It's bad even the authors tweeted about it, but just a problem with the streaming compression though not the on-air episodes. I had to rewatch some of the Avasarala scenes.

Just finished book two, onto three for the holiday's!!

Zoe

The mix sounded fine to me on a surround sound system. Never had problems with Hannibal either which also had similar complaints.

Selner

It's bad even the authors tweeted about it, but just a problem with the streaming compression though not the on-air episodes. I had to rewatch some of the Avasarala scenes.

Just finished book two, onto three for the holiday's!!

Yeah, that first interaction in episode 1 was complete mangled garbage.

I even had an idea what she was saying, having listened to the book. Still didn't understand a word, without subtitles.

And I finished book 1 a week or so ago. Will be recieving 6 months of Audible for Christmas. Woo!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The mix sounded fine to me on a surround sound system. Never had problems with Hannibal either which also had similar complaints.

Not having issues with this show. Hannibal on the other hand was almost painful to listen to sometimes.

Atrophis

SyFy UK is bloody useless. No air date for this yet. Shit, still we don't have Killjoys (coming next month) so it could be months away.

Watched all four and though I was mostly lost during the first episode, I was really digging it by the end of the second once the plot became a little clearer. Episode four in particular was pretty awesome and I am fully intrigued now. Might go back and watch the first again now that I have a better understanding of everything.

Moff

the trailer was really bad, i expected worst, everyone did.
but so far we don't have a single negative opinion in this thread

Skinpop

I read the positive opinions in this thread, yet after watching the four episodes I can't help but think that this is some of the worst tv I've ever seen. Either people are so simpleminded that any kind of crap with some spaceships thrown in automatically is "good" or I'm having a mental breakdown.

The show is a directorial disaster. There is literally no more than maybe five scenes in the entire series so far that works. Acting is atrocious. Editing is atrocious. Music is atrocious. Art direction is disgustingly atrocious. The cg is fine enough I guess and I suppose that already gives the series a pass for some. Script I have a hard time caring about since everything else buries it under its shit.

I'm really, really disappointed after all the positive reports in here and I usually like sci-fi even when it's cheap and stupid :(

edit: edited out some unnecessary hate.

Fireblend

Banned
am I going mad? I read the positive opinions in this thread, yet after watching the four episodes I can't help but think that this is some of the worst tv I've ever seen. Either people are so simpleminded that any kind of crap with some spaceships thrown in automatically is "good" or I'm having a mental breakdown.

The show is a directorial disaster. There is literally no more than maybe five scenes in the entire series so far that works. Acting is atrocious. Editing is atrocious. Music is atrocious. Art direction is disgustingly atrocious. The cg is fine enough I guess and I suppose that already gives the series a pass for some. Script I have a hard time caring about since everything else buries it under its shit.

I'm not even being hyperbolic. I honestly think this is one of the worst shows I have ever seen and I usually love sci-fi even when it's cheap.

I'm really, really disappointed after all the positive reports in here :(

Hey, opinions are a thing. No hurt feelings, there are enough TV shows out there for everyone to enjoy :) sci-fi shows are usually love or hate, so I see how you could dislike this one. Better luck with the next one.

I read the positive opinions in this thread, yet after watching the four episodes I can't help but think that this is some of the worst tv I've ever seen. Either people are so simpleminded that any kind of crap with some spaceships thrown in automatically is "good" or I'm having a mental breakdown.

I'm really, really disappointed after all the positive reports in here and I usually like sci-fi even when it's cheap and stupid :(

I can see people not being in to this, but worst you've ever seen? Do you not watch a lot of TV? Maybe I watch too much TV.

Moff

Either people are so simpleminded that any kind of crap with some spaceships thrown in automatically is "good"

I do admit that I have been craving some spaceship scifi, but I still honestly like it.
I am glad you voiced your opinion, though, it was getting a bit weird in here with everyone in agreement.

Burger

I'm pretty choosy with what I watch and your review strikes this one off any list it may have been on. Sure that trailer may have been bad but it looked fucking ridiculous to me.

The set designs bother me the most. Bad sets with passable CGI is the worst combination. It looks slightly worse than Dr. Who to me (another show I don't watch). Plus the books were pulpy nonsense, couldn't finish the second it was so average.

Just opinions tho.

Skinpop

I can see people not being in to this, but worst you've ever seen? Do you not watch a lot of TV? Maybe I watch too much TV.

it's not even at that level. I'm conceptually into this just as much as anyone else. But the editing and direction of the show just doesn't work. It's obvious to me that the creators of the show aren't proficient with the medium at all.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't mind admitting I'm starved for a decent space opera TV series.

Still, I do genuinely think is good. Oh well! :p

lt519

No need for the simpleminded comment though, especially if you didn't bother with the script because you couldn't get over the direction. You're opinion is certainly welcome, it has been mostly a book-fan circle jerk in here, but damn I haven't seen such a scathing review of anything in a long time :p

Maybe flesh out your "review" with a little more than "_____ is atrocious."

Moff, don't worry, I have a lot of friends that are really enjoying it that never read the books and watch a lot of TV. We aren't going crazy, yet.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Broken record here, but we're going to need more than just a book-fan "circle jerk" if the show is going to have much of a future, anyway.

Skinpop

It's totally fine to dislike it. The simpleminded people line is a bit much. lol

I feel a bit bad about using that term. I didn't mean to insult anyone, rather what I meant was that people are so starved for these kind of shows that they'll like stuff even if it's bad. that's the only way I can make any sense of this.

Fireblend

Banned
I feel a bit bad about using that term. I didn't mean to insult anyone, rather what I meant was that people are so starved for these kind of shows that they'll like stuff even if it's bad. that's the only way I can make any sense of this.

Having a different opinion from a majority is that new of an experience to you? I dislike a ton of media products, but they exist because people like them. I can accept that without immediately jumping to the conclusion that their fans are mindless consumers or have horrible taste.

lt519

Broken record here, but we're going to need more than just a book-fan "circle jerk" if the show is going to have much of a future, anyway.

Only time will tell. It's still getting the chance to grow over the next few weeks. It's in Xfinity's scrolling headline (and most popular), top 5 google show, and still in the top 5 for iTunes. Could be worse and buried under everything else. I have a feeling word of mouth is pretty good right now but it may not translate to on-air viewers. It's a good time to be in those spots with all the holiday travel and people getting new tablets/phones for Christmas. "Circle jerk" was just to lighten the mood, no offense meant (;

Naomi is fucking life. That knock-off Chief Tyrol that follows at her heel like a puppy needs to go, though.

Actually not into Naomi at all. Probably my least favorite character on the show, then Chief Tyrol.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Only time will tell. It's still getting the chance to grow over the next few weeks. It's in Xfinity's scrolling headline (and most popular), top 5 google show, and still in the top 5 for iTunes. Could be worse and buried under everything else. I have a feeling word of mouth is pretty good right now but it may not translate to on-air viewers. "Circle jerk" was just to lighten the mood, no offense meant (;

Oh, I didn't take any offense! I found it funny. :p

Knowing where things are going, I'd be surprised if most people weren't interested in where the show is going at the end of this season. If anything, to anyone who is mildly interested I'd recommend they keep watching since the story hasn't really kicked into gear yet, at all.

I agree the editing and directing is weird though, the face close ups in the suits for example (in the first episodes) didn't really transmit a sensation of isolation and paranoia (which I assume was the point) it was just plain weird. Also, the CGI is very nice for a show of this escope but some parts feel off. Still I'm really glad with the adaptation in my opinion they're doing great .

Skinpop

Having a different opinion from a majority is that new of an experience to you? I dislike a ton of media products, but they exist because people like them. I can accept that without immediately jumping to the conclusion that their fans are mindless consumers or have horrible taste.
it's a new experience for me, to read a whole thread full of positive reactions, then watch the episodes and feel like it's one of the worst things I've ever watched. it's so bad, not because of script, or art direction(though these contribute) but because I feel that the person who directed this thing at a fundamental level lack the understanding and skill to shoot and edit a script, then make that into a piece of video that works as a tv drama. the whole thing just falls apart and breaks down. And it's so strange, to the point of me starting to question reality, that I seem to be the only one noticing this.

lt519

Undoubtedly people are going in with lower expectations, but they aren't that low. I thought Master of None was awful and critics basically thought it was the second coming of comedy. Could never really put my finger on what I hated about it though. But at the same time I know it's still better than 90% of TV out there, I just don't watch a lot of TV. But what makes you so fired up about this to call it one of the worst TV shows ever is a little odd. Totally entitled to that opinion but I'd be interested in hearing some examples of why.

Top Bottom