• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

lt519

Thanks Cornballer, haven't been watching them live so didn't know there was a little hype video for Episode 5.

Excited to start watching this live, hopefully it kicks up some more discussion in the thread!

What'd those that watched Episode 4 live last night think about it?

Hoo-boy, episodes three and four were spectacular. Show is off to a great, great start.

Ratings do have me concerned, though... Was this expected?

Riptwo

Ep 4 just appeared via iTunes, and I'm sold on this so far. It's got the noir-ish street level cyberpunk story mixed with a space opera, and it's a combo that I didn't really know that I wanted. Glad I grabbed the seasons pass after hearing friends mention that they loved the books!

Selner

Hoo-boy, episodes three and four were spectacular. Show is off to a great, great start.

Ratings do have me concerned, though... Was this expected?

Well, they did start the show right before the holiday break. They probably figured they would release the first four online, and then hope word-of-mouth and internet hype gets the episode five numbers to be higher.

They've already ordered Season 2 for the show. So they are giving it lots of runway to take off.

They've already ordered Season 2 for the show. So they are giving it lots of runway to take off.

I've seen people posting this all over, but can anyone point to a piece confirming this?

All I've read is that they've given the go ahead for the writers to start working on scripts for S2, something that is very easy to back out of with a minimal financial loss if the ratings remain at the catastrophic level they are currently at.

lt519

I've seen people posting this all over, but can anyone point to a piece confirming this?

All I've read is that they've given the go ahead for the writers to start working on scripts for S2, something that is very easy to back out of with a minimal financial loss if the ratings remain at the catastrophic level they are currently at.

No, but if you read this interview you can see the president has a very clear understanding that it wasn't going to be an overnight hit. I read as they are going to give it a fair chance to gather an audience. Maybe his definition of a fair chance is a whole season, but the way he talks, he seems to have learnt from the past of cancelling something before it's had a chance to be a hit. He's basically saying they are subscribing to the Netflix model of gaining an audience which requires more than one season.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/features...-childhoods-end-magicians-hunters-1201661266/

If they are writing it, and have most the sets built, costs for a second season won't be nearly as high as the first season. If it doesn't do well they may scale it back but I don't think it'd lose any of it's quality, just some major set piece eye candy. I'm overly optimistic about it though because for some weird reason I have faith they are actually trying to right their ship.

Interesting read for multiple reasons but they touch on that a lot.

Just finished ep 4. Holy fuck are they nailing this. It's almost exactly as I imagined it when I read the books. So awesome.

Notes: Amos is shorter than I envisioned but the actor is doing an amazing job
playing as the psychopath using others for his moral guidance

Holden is younger than I imagined,and I was worried about the actor's ability to assume a command role, but he really made a great transition in ep 4.

Naomi, perfect.

Alex, younger (and thinner) but also really good.

The whole scene in the donnager was just amazing. So pumped this is getting done right.

edit: sorry kirblar. minor spoiler tagged (it's honestly not that much of a spoiler really, the character has already displayed the tendencies blanked out above)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I caught up with all the episodes available on the SyFy site. This is the real deal guys, it's the space opera we've all been waiting for since BSG.

Moff

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that they apparently make 2 seasons out of the first book.
but I expect they don't to that for every book. they will probably mix up a lot and add a new stuff like in the later seasons of game of thrones.

can't wait for the next episode, thoug. the first 4 left a really good impression.

Sh1ner

Where did Syfy get the pennies for this show? Everything has been of such low quality from this channel from a long time I was surprised to see like the first 4 fully completed sets let alone all the CG.

DieH@rd

Banned
Where did Syfy get the pennies for this show? Everything has been of such low quality from this channel from a long time I was surprised to see like the first 4 fully completed sets let alone all the CG.

They are in heavy restructuring phase. They somehow got the idea that ratings will come if they invest more in good shows.

Defiance is sadly done [but it ended very well], 13 Monkeys is intriguing, and their future offering looks to be very solid.

MartyStu

So, is this genuinely any good.

I just finish watching Dark Matter on Netflix and it put me in the mood for cheesy '90s-ish TV sci-fi.

DieH@rd

Banned
Dark Matter is more procedural, with each episode almost having a contained story [some few things carry on]. I found it good [after first few rougher episodes], but not amazing.

The Expanse on the other hand is fully serialized. Each episode is essential for storytelling, pace is nice and fast. It is a very good adaptation of a awesome space opera book [set in almost hard-SF universe].

GavinUK86

It feels like it was so long ago since I last posted in this thread after watching the first four episodes back to back.

I'm looking forward to discussing the rest week by week now.

As most people have already said, the shows looking really good so far.

Hopefully it keeps up the pace.

Interested to see what they're doing with Havelock.

lt519

Why can't this be more popular? 8 pages?

We are in a really weird state. The majority of us have read the books so there is nothing to speculate on and I think non-book readers are less active due to all our book discussion. That and the first 4 episodes releasing at once, people kind of binged, gave their 2 cents and have moved on until episode 5.

I'd be happy to discuss the first 4 episodes if people wanted to! A Forbes blogger has been writing some articles about the physics of the show and how well they are doing it. So far they've been nailing that.

Here's a fun one about stealth in space: "The Expanse and the Physics of Stealth In Space"

People have been happy with the hard science aspect of the show, minus water being rare and spinning up an asteroid like Ceres would destroy it. Get past those big leaps and it's pretty spot on.

lt519

Wow! Thanks for sharing, that's fantastic news. Increasing the episode count from 10 to 13 is very encouraging.

1.6 mil P2+ viewers is pretty good? I don't know anything about ratings.

Also might be worth making a separate thread for that? A lot of people afraid to try the show out because of fear of cancellation. Might encourage more to try it out.

Edit: 2017 though ): Hopefully that's just early 2017.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just finished ep 4. Holy fuck are they nailing this. It's almost exactly as I imagined it when I read the books. So awesome.

Notes: Amos is shorter than I envisioned but the actor is doing an amazing job
playing as the psychopath using others for his moral guidance

Holden is younger than I imagined,and I was worried about the actor's ability to assume a command role, but he really made a great transition in ep 4.

Naomi, perfect.

Alex, younger (and thinner) but also really good.

The whole scene in the donnager was just amazing. So pumped this is getting done right.

edit: sorry kirblar. minor spoiler tagged (it's honestly not that much of a spoiler really, the character has already displayed the tendencies blanked out above)

So I only read the first book are you telling me that
Amos is a psychopath
?

Moff

So I only read the first book are you telling me that
Amos is a psychopath
?

Nemesis Games spoiler:
I don't know if it was mentioned in any books before but in the fifth book, which focuses a lot more on the main characters, it's made clear that Amos has no moral compass at all, he can't help it and realizes that. instead he watches the others and tries to imitate them

foxtrot3d

Banned
Nemesis Games spoiler:
I don't know if it was mentioned in any books before but in the fifth book, which focuses a lot more on the main characters, it's made clear that Amos has no moral compass at all, he can't help it and realizes that. instead he watches the others and tries to imitate them

Huh, I don't believe this was ever mentioned or implied in the first book.

RS4-

I'll be honest, I thought Amos was black. I probably missed a thing or two in the first book when they talked about him.

...and I didn't actually realize it until I read Nemesis Games.

Aiii

So not worth it

This pretty much confirms it is a huge streaming succes, great to hear we will get more.

And for those that are not looking forward to the big break, there is always the new book coming out this spring. Hope it follows the book 5 format and keeps the story centralized on the crew.

---
Edit: also, might be worth namedropping this as the spiritual succesor to BSG in the title, as namedropping just SyFy isn't exactly inspiring any confidence in production value nowadays.

aku:jiki

I'll be honest, I thought Amos was black. I probably missed a thing or two in the first book when they talked about him.

...and I didn't actually realize it until I read Nemesis Games.
Same here. Always pictured him as a Michael Clarke Duncan type dude. Huge guy with a heart of gold. The actor's doing a good job, but he's not quite big enough IMO.

I think the passage you're thinking of is in Abaddon's Gate, btw. I had the exact same "what, are you serious?" reaction and I haven't read further than AG.

Edit: also, might be worth namedropping this as the spiritual succesor to BSG in the title, as namedropping just SyFy isn't exactly inspiring any confidence in production value nowadays.
I really don't want to pull some annoyingly coy, wink/nudge half-spoiler here, but people who haven't read the books should be careful about hyping this up as the new BSG. There's going to be...some stuff.

lt519

Hey everyone, just a reminder about book spoilers. This is nitpicking but by mentioning a character's personality/plot/existence in a later book in the series implies survival. This can remove suspense from a situation where they are in danger, especially in a show where they have no problem killing people off. The TV Show may deviate but some of us are still working through the books as well. You don't have to explicitly say something to still create a spoiler.

Just tread carefully and tag everything after a book mention in a spoiler.

Aiii

So not worth it
I really don't want to pull some annoyingly coy, wink/nudge half-spoiler here, but people who haven't read the books should be careful about hyping this up as the new BSG. There's going to be...some stuff.

It doesn't matter, all it means is that it's a well written, well produced space opera and gets people to tune in. This is no Warehouse 13 or Haven.

Nemesis Games spoiler:

Book spoilers through Nemesis Games
It was definitely suggested from early on, and mentioned pretty explicitly in both The Churn and Cibola Burn. I don't remember any earlier specific examples, but I remember it not being a surprise so it was likely established earlier.

suzu

I gotta say I would not me comfortable
with a psychopath watching my back.

He's my favorite character out of the Roci crew, haha.. /o\

Book spoilers through Nemesis Games
It was definitely suggested from early on, and mentioned pretty explicitly in both The Churn and Cibola Burn. I don't remember any earlier specific examples, but I remember it not being a surprise so it was likely established earlier.

Books spoiler:
Yeah I can't say I was surprised when I found out. Still not something that should be openly talked about when we're only 4 episodes into the first season though. lol

kami_sama

I just watched the last episode, and I must say it has some of the best visual effects I've seen on a TV show.
But the story, al least for now, is algo great.
Color me impressed with the show, and I will continue watching it.

Top Bottom