• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

Moff

Expectations are important, and most of us saw the terrible trailers and were pleasantly suprised. so I can see how someone is disappointed after reading all those positive opinions.

Skinpop

at least it gave us this sequence which I thought looked hilarious
ImmaculateBlaringCollardlizard.gif

edit. put in spoilertag since it's from the fourth episode. it doesn't spoil anything though so feel free to watch the gif.

Walshicus

it's a new experience for me, to read a whole thread full of positive reactions, then watch the episodes and feel like it's one of the worst things I've ever watched. it's so bad, not because of script, or art direction(though these contribute) but because I feel that the person who directed this thing at a fundamental level lack the understanding and skill to shoot and edit a script, then make that into a piece of video that works as a tv drama. the whole thing just falls apart and breaks down. And it's so strange, to the point of me starting to question reality, that I seem to be the only one noticing this.
Yeah, you're nuts. This is possibly my favourite sci-fi show of the last ten years, they're just getting everything right. Only criticism I have is the audio with regard to dialogue, it's a little too hard to hear without subtitles.

lt519

at least it gave us this sequence which I thought looked hilarious
ImmaculateBlaringCollardlizard.gif

edit. put in spoilertag since it's from the last episode. it doesn't spoil anything though so feel free to watch the gif.

How else are you supposed to get a drugged up person up a ladder in no G? :)

Yes it has its cheesy moments. But so does Game of Thrones with the awful sword fights and Jessica Jones with the laughably bad jumping super powers (thought Jessica Jones was an order of magnitude worse than this show and I liked Daredevil).

It's still TV budgets just like the others and no gravity is probably the hardest thing to do on a set.

Sorry you didn't like it, hopefully something else will come along more to your style.

Skinpop

How else are you supposed to get a drugged up person up a ladder in no G? :)

I didn't mean specifically to criticize that particular scene. It just made me laugh that's all.

I liked jessica jones, it's probably my favorite output from marvel besides the first two spiderman movies. daredevil was at best mediocre in my opinion, but I can totally understand how people might like it. with this it's just hard for me to do that. again I'm sorry if I have offended anyone with my poor choice of words, I probably came off as being too aggressive.

lt519

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone with my poor choice of words, I probably came off as being too aggressive.

No worries I'm just joking around! I laughed at that scene and a lot of other things in the show too. No matter how hard they try some things will always look goofy.

Selner

Knowing where things are going, I'd be surprised if most people weren't interested in where the show is going at the end of this season. If anything, to anyone who is mildly interested I'd recommend they keep watching since the story hasn't really kicked into gear yet, at all.

I agree the editing and directing is weird though, the face close ups in the suits for example (in the first episodes) didn't really transmit a sensation of isolation and paranoia (which I assume was the point) it was just plain weird.

Yes, I am very interested in seeing how they do some stuff later in the story. It was almost underwhelming in the book to be honest, but they should be able to do some very cool stuff on the screen.

And the "in helmet" cam was a little jarring to be honest. It almost felt like a way to cut down on set design. As instead of showing the whole ship, they just had to show small parts of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm really, really disappointed after all the positive reports in here and I usually like sci-fi even when it's cheap and stupid :(

edit: edited out some unnecessary hate.

It's better than Dark Matter and a little better than Killjoys. Honestly, I'm just glad it doesn't look completely like your standard shot-in-Toronto SyFy series. It's cheap but not as cheap looking at their other shows. Yeah, it's low standards but what can you do. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
All the talk of 'cheap' - genuinely curious what tv Sci-Fi doesn't get that label?
The less reliance on sets, the more money is spent. So Stargate, even though it was always the same forest outside of Vancouver, looks better because they're not trying to make a warehouse look like a jungle planet.

I don't count stuff like Eureka or Warehouse 13 because those are easier to work with since they are set on contemporary "Earth".

But, I mean, Ceres doesn't look like a converted warehouse which I think is commendable. Contrast that to the Mars warship that is basically three rooms and a couple of hallways.

Walshicus

Yeah, but what were people expecting to see on the Donnager? I actually thought the layout of the command area was brilliant; an isolatable room in the centre of the ship, not some extrusion with a tonne of glass.

Not a book reader but I think the entire season will be book 1.

Reading the chapter descriptions, season one ends a little bit over the first half of Leviathan Wakes.

The first two seasons will cover the first book, it seems.

Yeah, but what were people expecting to see on the Donnager? I actually thought the layout of the command area was brilliant; an isolatable room in the centre of the ship, not some extrusion with a tonne of glass.
Yeah, I know that both practically and realistically it's not bad given the show's scope, still, something at the back of my mind kept telling me the Donnager should be cooler and more expansive all around given all that suppodedly cutting edge Marian tech :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was just a tiny room though with no details other than some random desks and chairs. Also they happened to have an extra chair just for the guy because it was convenient for the plot. lol

Same with the other areas of the ship. It just felt like something they threw together because they knew they knew it'd be temporary. Which is fair, I'm not expecting them to make a ship as elaborate as the Galactica, but it's just something that you notice.

lt519

Reading the chapter descriptions, season one ends a little bit over the first half of Leviathan Wakes.

The first two seasons will cover the first book, it seems.

I thought the opposite, listing the episode names and parts of the books they line up well with the major plot points. I just listed them out but decided to delete them and not post here since I don't even want to post it in spoiler tags. I'm pretty certain the first season will cover the first book, I'm fresh off of reading the books too. Particularly Episode 8 implying a major plot point really far along in the book.

Where are you guys and gals streaming this from? My wife and I caught the pilot on Youtube and tried streaming the rest from Syfy's webpage, but the quality was horrendous and there was no full-screen option...

Am I doing it wrong?

I've been using Xfinity Streaming, but I watched the first episode on Syfy. You should be able to go full-screen with Syfy.

If you aren't using surround the sound mix is pretty bad in spots. I have a hard time understanding Avasarala with her accent. Also make sure that your output device is at 50% volume and you use your speakers to control from there. General rule of thumb with using any device attached to speakers. Maybe some of those that have bought on iTunes, Google, or Amazon can chime in.

Where are you guys and gals streaming this from? My wife and I caught the pilot on Youtube and tried streaming the rest from Syfy's webpage, but the quality was horrendous and there was no full-screen option...

Am I doing it wrong?

Just a reminder that Ep 3 is airing tonight for those of you that haven't seen it yet.
Remember the Cant

Holden and crew are taken prisoner and begin to turn on one another; Miller deals with rioters; Avasarala plays politics.

Am I doing it wrong?
It's available on demand on most platforms.

blackw0lf

I thought the opposite, listing the episode names and parts of the books they line up well with the major plot points. I just listed them out but decided to delete them and not post here since I don't even want to post it in spoiler tags. I'm pretty certain the first season will cover the first book, I'm fresh off of reading the books too. Particularly Episode 8 implying a major plot point really far along in the book.

Book spoilers: If
Holden and Miller are just meeting up on Eros in episode 8, that's only halfway through the book. Also in episode 9 it says they're stuck, so they haven't even left Eros. Episode 10 probably ends with them escaping Eros and learning about the protomolecule

That's based on the descriptions of the episodes found here http://next-episode.net/the-expanse/season-1

Spoilers at the link. Even if you're read the books

lt519

Book spoilers: If
Holden and Miller are just meeting up on Eros in episode 8, that's only halfway through the book. Also in episode 9 it says they're stuck, so they haven't even left Eros. Episode 10 probably ends with them escaping Eros and learning about the protomolecule

That's based on the descriptions of the episodes found here http://next-episode.net/the-expanse/season-1

Spoilers at the link. Even if you're read the books

Oh, that's disappointing, I assumed Episode 8 was
Salvaging the ship that attacked the Scopuli which is way past Eros.
. Where does this website get it's info? That or they are running more things in parallel with different people furthering different plot points. Different means to ends. Their description of 8 is still something that happens fairly far along.

We'll see :)

I'll try logging in through Comcast and see if they can stream it. Thanks!

Looks like Hulu now has it streaming if you can log in through your service provider.

Selner

Oh, that's disappointing, I assumed Episode 8 was
Salvaging the ship that attacked the Scopuli which is way past Eros.
. Where does this website get it's info? That or they are running more things in parallel with different people furthering different plot points. Different means to ends. Their description of 8 is still something that happens fairly far along.

Hmmmm... That is interesting. The description of eight talks about two events that are far apart in the book. I wonder how they will do that.

I think I can guess how they might do it. It's a way to condense some events and move things along.

It is good to hear that they are taking two seasons to do the first book. There's to much content for only 10 episodes.

Yeah, it seems they're going to take their sweet time with the
assault on the Protogen base and then the Nauvoo attack Eros. Still, they might go for a timeskip at some point during the second season and start with the events in Caliban's War, I guess.

Either way, I think the pace has been excellent for now.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Far too many book spoilers around these parts.

Loving the show, will probably audio-book the novels, have no time to read them!

lt519

Far too many book spoilers around these parts.

Loving the show, will probably audio-book the novels, have no time to read them!

Sorry I'll cool it on that, not fair to the show watchers to be walking on egg shells in here!

Have fun watching everyone tonight, I'll be stuck on a plane!

lt519

That's a major bummer, wasn't expecting that major of a drop. Hopefully it's holidays + VOD. Still holding out hope that when it gets to episode 5 it goes back up and word of mouth can spread it after the first season. If not, oh well, we'll still get two good seasons.

GavinUK86

I think they made a big mistake by releasing episode 3 and 4. Hopefully once we get past those ratings will pick up. The people not watching are really missing out.

Just watched ep 1 On Demand. Liked it quite a bit. Will eventually fire up the others. SyFy starting this in the heart of the holiday season was pretty stupid, but I suppose if they ordered two seasons they're assuming word of mouth will allow it to pick up a bit.

muzzymate

Burned episodes 1 - 4 on DVDs for some friends for Christmas who liked Battlestar but haven't heard of this show yet. Doing my part to get the word out...

I never understood how Syfy, the place that shows nothing but genre shows isn't on something like Hulu. Good on them for putting their seasons on Netflix, but that doesn't help renew shows.

Also the Syfy web player is dumb, why is there a progress bar that never disappears?

Love this show though, starting to get a sense of the story finally.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
So reading spoilers it appears to be following Leviathan Wakes pretty closely, eh? I just finished the book and am going to binge watch the show when Season 1 is over. Sounds fantastic, this was my "book of the year" so far of all the books I've read this year.

jerry113

Banned
So did this turn out better than that Dark Matter/Killjoys tripe? I only saw the first episode and it didn't seem too bad.

By far. Much more ambitious in its world building. Much bigger budget. First few episodes seem to be establishing the world a bit; it takes off by ep 4.

lt519

Multiple episodes still charting in the top 15/20 on iTunes and Play store after the Christmas holiday rush with no new episodes in a couple weeks. Not to shabby. They have to at least be pleased with that.

Anyone convince family to watch it over the holidays? Got my dad hooked.

I know this isn't really a book thread, but I somehow missed that book 5 had come out and am currently reading it. These ratings make me sad that the show will probably never get here =/ Hopefully it can pick up for the tail end of the season.

Walshicus

Multiple episodes still charting in the top 15/20 on iTunes and Play store after the Christmas holiday rush with no new episodes in a couple weeks. Not to shabby. They have to at least be pleased with that.

Anyone convince family to watch it over the holidays? Got my dad hooked.

The show is going to live or die on digital distribution...

Top Bottom