• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Caught Poppy Hills in theaters today. Good times. Huge improvement over Earthsea, so between this and Arrietty things are looking up for post-Hayao Ghibli Studios. I'm normally much more of a fan of the more fantastical Ghibli movies, but I enjoyed this one a lot. In my book it is definitely the best of mundane-setting Ghibli movies. I think this is primarily because the story felt coherent, compared to Only Yesterday which felt like a series of loosely tied slice-of-life vignettes.

Are you saying that retrospectively? Because I'm pretty sure Miyazaki-san is still there.

I hope all my fellow brits have been watching the Studio Ghibli season on Film 4 - they're in the process of showing 18 Ghibli movies over easter!

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Caught Poppy Hills in theaters today. Good times. Huge improvement over Earthsea, so between this and Arrietty things are looking up for post-Hayao Ghibli Studios. I'm normally much more of a fan of the more fantastical Ghibli movies, but I enjoyed this one a lot. In my book it is definitely the best of mundane-setting Ghibli movies. I think this is primarily because the story felt coherent, compared to Only Yesterday which felt like a series of loosely tied slice-of-life vignettes.
I didn't really feel any Ghibli magic here. Characters were bland as was the story development. Only saving grace was the art and animation. Even in animation department it wasn't all that impressive.

Violet_0

Banned
Poppy Hills and Arrietty both have completely uninteresting stories to tell. At least Poppy Hills had the
borther-sister love subplot
going for it but not really oh god why was that in the movie. They're nice to look at, I guess

PBalfredo

Are you saying that retrospectively? Because I'm pretty sure Miyazaki-san is still there.

I'm talking about the prospects for Ghibli after Miyazaki eventually retires. Poppy Hill is much more reassuring than Earthsea that the younger talent will be able to carry the studio in the future.

Just saw My Neighbor Totoro for the first time. Loved it.

I know Ghibli denied the Urban Myth behind the movie, but it just seems to bug me how Satsuki denies the sandal is Mei's sandal and when you look at her expression - she seems a little distraught about it. Like she lied or something. I don't know.

Anyone want to clarify this for me, please?

I watched Spirited Away yesterday and loved it, first Miyazaki for me so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I think I might have missed out on some stuff that'll make more sense on rewatch. For example, the Haku reveal was fine, but his connection to Chihiro seemed kind of random; it made sense, but her suddenly dropping some backstory right near the end felt a little off. Not sure where to go from here, but browsing through the first few pages it seems like Totoro and Laputa are favorites for a lot of you.

The OP is great, really useful reference that's not bloated with too much stuff like Wikipedia would be.

Sushigod7

I watched Spirited Away yesterday and loved it, first Miyazaki for me so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I think I might have missed out on some stuff that'll make more sense on rewatch. For example, the Haku reveal was fine, but his connection to Chihiro seemed kind of random; it made sense, but her suddenly dropping some backstory right near the end felt a little off. Not sure where to go from here, but browsing through the first few pages it seems like Totoro and Laputa are favorites for a lot of you.

The OP is great, really useful reference that's not bloated with too much stuff like Wikipedia would be.

Enjoy watching these movies Spirited Away is my favorite followed closely by Princess Mononoke and Totoro. It's really hard to have a favorite though they are all great in some way. Watch them all and if you decide to buy get Blu-Ray it's worth the extra money.

LuuKyK

I discovered Ghibli through Spirited Away (which btw is one of my favorite movies ever) too, and have been a huge fan ever since. I recommend you watching every one of the movies as even the not so good ones are very pretty at least. :p But honestly I think there was not a single one I didnt like.

zeroshiki

I discovered Ghibli through Spirited Away (which btw is one of my favorite movies ever) too, and have been a huge fan ever since. I recommend you watching every one of the movies as even the not so good ones are very pretty at least. :p But honestly I think there was not a single one I didnt like.

Have you seen Gedo Senki? :p

zeroshiki

Im not an anime fan at all, but love the Studio Ghibli stuff. My 3 year old daughters favorite movie is Ponyo

I think its super reductive to be a fan or not a fan of something based on it being animation. A movie should stand on its own merits be it live action or animation. That said, Ghibli movies kind of stand on their own.

Perhaps your kid might like Totoro too?

Lets just ignore it exists. :p

We should be afraid of the day old man Miyazaki finally hangs it up because there will be no one to take his place.

Amazon officially cancelled my hold on the Nausica manga. Depressing, since I really wanted to read it too. :-(

After checking out how incredibly detailed the set was, I became really interested in getting it (I don't own any manga, so this is big for me). Then I looked on Amazon and saw prices ranging from $400 - $1200 where I read it used to be $65.

I found an online Aus retailer selling it for $65 and had to snap it up.

Shiv47

Wasn't aware that the Nausicaa box set was OOP. Aren't the paperbacks plentiful enough to collect, or are those subject to crazy prices too?

Necrovex

After checking out how incredibly detailed the set was, I became really interested in getting it (I don't own any manga, so this is big for me). Then I looked on Amazon and saw prices ranging from $400 - $1200 where I read it used to be $65.

I found an online Aus retailer selling it for $65 and had to snap it up.

Man, that international shipping would kill me.

Just can.

You want to help a Gaffer out? I can paypal money! :-D (Of course, this is me assuming the boxset is at a reasonable price.)

I recently watched Grave of the Fireflies.

I have the internet to thank for warnings in advance as the the feels I would encounter.

I was teary from when she lost her shoe.

Damn thing near destroyed me.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
WTF Viz, get your shit together and print another batch of hardcovers. This is ridiculous.

ugly

Have any of you seen Ocean Waves? It was released here in Australia as a sub only release. Its quite good too.

Man, I love Studio Ghibli, but Ocean Waves is so terrible. I actually had to turn it off halfway through, I couldn't bear it. Terrible Home-and-Away ass drama, characters had zero charm, literally nothing was drawing me in. I kept waiting for it to get better, but when you've squandered an hour of your film-time, it's a bad movie. Ah man. So, so bad.

bender

What time is it?
Add me to the "Amazon cancelled my Nausicaa box set" club. Here is hoping for a re-print.

I decided to go see Poppy Hill this past Friday despite reading a lot of unfavorable impressions. I guess low expectations help but I didn't mind it so much (even with the manager spoiling a huge plot point before the showing).

It looks like Porco Rosso is this summer's Blu Ray release in Japan. Hooray!

Do we know when Poppy Hill is getting a US home release. I thought it was supposed to be last month, but I can't find it anywhere.

Violet_0

Banned

now go watch Princess Mononoke, those two movies form the Ghibli top tier

Why hello thar.
uedN6xbl.jpg

Necrovex

ATTN: Necrovex

http://www.bookdepository.com/Nausi...ontent=Main-book&utm_campaign=EMWBIS-In-Stock

I just got an email from Book Depository (Australian) that now have it in stock for $65 and ship worldwide for free.

Anyway, I'm about a quarter-way through and it's really fantastic so far. The film condensed A LOT and I'm now essentially past where the film ended.

I just went to the link, and it's already unavailable. I'm going to go cry now. But before I do that, I want to say that I appreciate you aiming to help me out!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wait wha? Damn I feel bad. But I'm clicking on the link and it's still available for me to order from Canada though... weird.

Top Bottom