• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

USA is among their list of countries they ship to.

I'd say click on their 'Add to wishlist' option. I did that about 10 days back, then ordered from DVDLand. And now all of a sudden Depository had it in stock after I expressed interest. So maybe they'll order more in if it's interest-based.

Edit: Good stuff.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Barnes and Noble has it on their website for $35. It's out of stock at the moment, but it says that orders will ship on April 26.

Every time the thread is bumped, I come in hoping it's the trailer for Miyazakis new film. I thought it would be releasing this summer, shouldn't there be a trailer by now? :|

Necrovex

I don't believe it. I just got an email from Barnes and Noble stating my shipment of Nausicaa was sent to me for only $37. Is this reality?

Oh, it looks like Amazon even have copies now. A new shipment for the major retailers. Hurry people, go out and get this collection before it disappears again!

zeroshiki

Ghibli has been releasing their old stuff on BD slowly. Like, twice a year slow. They're running out of stuff to hold back though so Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are more than likely coming soon.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Almost finished the first book of the two, shit is epic. I'm never going to enjoy the film on the same level again. :(

You haven't seen anything yet. I don't say this lightly, but book 7 will blow your mind. Well, it blew my mind at the time.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Maybe old? But it was news to me!

Live-action ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’ movie now in production
The rumors are indeed true. Well, sort of. Studio Gihbli denied that they were producing a live-action version of the Hayao Miyazaki-directed hit anime Kiki’s Delivery Service a few weeks ago. But now it has been confirmed that a movie version of the 1985 novel Majo no Takkyūbin by Eiko Kadono, on which the Ghibli film was based on, is now in production.

16 year old newcomer Fūka Koshiba, who has had minor roles in a few dramas and commercials, will be starring as the titular Kiki/Minami Takayama, a young witch who uses her abilities to earn a living while living in a town apart from her fellow witches, together with her cat, Jiji. Takashi Shimizu, famous for horror films like The Grudge and Tormented, will be directing but let’s hope this doesn’t mean a darker, scarier version of Kiki.

The film will be based not on the 1989 film that was written, directed and produced by Miyazaki, which he based on just the first book by Kadono. The live action version will be based on the first two novels. The book series has four titles all in all, but it is not known if there are plans to make films out of the other books. The film is expected to hit theaters in the Spring of 2014.

Sushigod7

Here is something interesting for all of us Ghibli fans

The short film focuses on Ghibli’s “God Warrior” from “”Nausicaä of The Valley of The Wind”, the creatures who caused radiation poisoning and cause destruction with their atomic blasts. In context, while this short film is a celebration of the tokusatsu genre and traditions, I believe it is also a commentary on Japan’s nuclear reactor crisis. This sentiment and symbolism has a shared history, considering the close ties between Studio Ghibli and Gainax’s founding members.

ixos9dOlQi1DR.png

Link for a pretty in depth article about significance of giant monsters in Japan. The video has been taken down but will pop up somewhere I'm sure.

http://blog.weigy.com/2013/04/god-warrior/

Pau

I don't believe it. I just got an email from Barnes and Noble stating my shipment of Nausicaa was sent to me for only $37. Is this reality?

Oh, it looks like Amazon even have copies now. A new shipment for the major retailers. Hurry people, go out and get this collection before it disappears again!
Is it worth it if I have the TPB collection?

Necrovex

Is it worth it if I have the TPB collection?

Scuilli would be able to answer that question. I am still waiting for my order to get in from Barnes.

But, I generally enjoy having a collection rather than having the individual paperbacks.

Probably the paperback 7 volumes editions that were released in 2004.

Trade paperback.

Yup, these.

Ah. Well obviously I never had the paperback, but I can tell you that the hardcover edition is very, very impressive. I think it's an absolute steal. It's just such a nice set and were it not such a nice set, I probably wouldn't have picked up individually (this is my first manga). Watching an unboxing is what convinced me to pick it up. It's really classy and fits nicely with everything else on my shelf because of the sublime design.

Pau

Ah. Well obviously I never had the paperback, but I can tell you that the hardcover edition is very, very impressive. I think it's an absolute steal. It's just such a nice set and were it not such a nice set, I probably wouldn't have picked up individually (this is my first manga). Watching an unboxing is what convinced me to pick it up. It's really classy and fits nicely with everything else on my shelf because of the sublime design.
The price and overall quality is really, really nice. The only things it adds from the softcover collection are the hardcover and 16 pages in color. But man, I do love my nice box sets. :/

Caved in and ordered it. I think I'll gut the seven volumes of the posters they each bring and donate them to the school library.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The price and overall quality is really, really nice. The only things it adds from the softcover collection are the hardcover and 16 pages in color. But man, I do love my nice box sets. :/

Caved in and ordered it. I think I'll gut the seven volumes of the posters they each bring and donate them to the school library.

I just got my hardcover collection from Amazon. I think the collection is definitely worth it (paper quality is much better, looks great on the shelf), but it's a little more difficult to read. Volume 1-4 is in the first book, while 5-7 is in the second, and they are quite thick. I think I would keep both sets.

One additional: I do wish they chose a better picture for the front cover of the collection. Miyazaki himself had this to say about it:

"This has nothing to do with the story and was very hard to draw."

Cranky Miyazaki cracks me up.

cdkee

Banned
I watched Princess Mononoke recently. While it was very good, I prefer Spirited Away for some reason. Just ever so slightly.

Actually I don't know, they were both so good...yeah never mind I can't decide.

jett

D-Member
Watched Kiki's Delivery Service yesterday, what a cute movie. I've officially watched all of Miyazaki's movies now. I pretty much liked all of them, Spirited Away is still my favorite though.

Watched Kiki's Delivery Service yesterday, what a cute movie. I've officially watched all of Miyazaki's movies now. I pretty much liked all of them, Spirited Away is still my favorite though.

I actually watched Kiki yesterday as well and really liked it. I realised I had only seen the middle section on tv years ago so decided to get a hold of it. It's really nice having a film that isn't concerned with getting from plot point to plot point and is able to just give you a window into the back and forth flow that is these character's' lives.

Pau

Kiki's Delivery Service is so cute. And it's the perfect film to watch whenever you're feeling down about something like your art and talent.

Same with Whisper of the Heart.

Up to the last chapter of Nausicaa (Book 7). Hot damn what an epic, sprawling story. The film honestly just doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the book's story.

Asbel

Up to the last chapter of Nausicaa (Book 7). Hot damn what an epic, sprawling story. The film honestly just doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the book's story.

The movie is still great for the constraints of a movie and I would love an HBO treatment for the manga.

Sushigod7

The movie is still great for the constraints of a movie and I would love an HBO treatment for the manga.

What does HBO have to do with manga? Maybe I'm missing a show but Spawn back in the 90's is about all I remember them doing. Or do you mean live action?

Sushigod7

I'm pretty sure Asbel means an episodic drama that spans the course of 12-13 hours.

With live action it could be good but would need an Avatar like budget doing all that in CG or actual sets would be pretty expensive. Not that I wouldn't like to see that could be amazing.

GCX

Always nice to see people realize just how gigantic the difference between the anime and manga version is.

Asbel

With live action it could be good but would need an Avatar like budget doing all that in CG or actual sets would be pretty expensive. Not that I wouldn't like to see that could be amazing.
Yeah i meant live action. I would go for a lotr treatment if they can keep it serious.

Ghibli really should have animated the rest of the manga.

Yes and no. It would be a pretty goddamn long film, but it is rather criminal how badly the story and the characters have been shortchanged. Princess Kushana has probably been shortchanged the most. In the film she's pretty one-dimensional and non-sensical. But then so is that film's ending.

Necrovex

Yes and no. It would be a pretty goddamn long film, but it is rather criminal how badly the story and the characters have been shortchanged. Princess Kushana has probably been shortchanged the most. In the film she's pretty one-dimensional and non-sensical. But then so is that film's ending.

I was thinking more of a LOTR trilogy type deal rather than cramming everything into one film (since that would be fucking lunacy). The last time I watched Nasuciaa was the release of the Blu-Ray. I'm excited to finally read this manga on Thursday.

HoJu

Do you guys think the bluray prices will ever drop, or should I just pick them up now?

and why isn't Porco Rosso on bluray yet it's the greatest ghibli and i want it

knkng

Do you guys think the bluray prices will ever drop, or should I just pick them up now?

and why isn't Porco Rosso on bluray yet it's the greatest ghibli and i want it

1) The Japanese blurays? Not likely. Just get them now or shop around for better prices if you can.

2) Porco Rosso releases July 17.

HoJu

1) The Japanese blurays? Not likely. Just get them now or shop around for better prices if you can.

2) Porco Rosso releases July 17.

The North American ones. I think it's only the JP bluray of Porco Rosso that's coming out in July.

GCX

It's important to remember that the movie came out in 1984 while the final manga chapter was released in 1994. The movie was comprised of the story elements Miyazaki had on hand at the time, even he didn't have a clear picture of where the manga would be heading character and storywise.

Top Bottom