• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Sushigod7

Watched grave of the fireflies this week.
It absolutely crushed me :( I almost regret watching it as beautifully made as it is.

Also watched Totoro which I think is my new favorite, the animation and the setting are just perfect.
I've also never seen the mood and atmosphere of countryside life depicted better anywhere else.

Studio Ghibli is in a league all of it's own when it comes to building interesting characters and animation. They put disney and pixar to shame.

I'm not sure about put to shame but I would say Ghibli is in a class of their own. Disney/Pixar are masters of their craft for sure but all 3 of these have their share of success and failure. IMO nobody does magical lands/creatures and atmosphere better than Miyazaki. Can't place a favorite these 3 studios are all great.

I'm not sure about put to shame but I would say Ghibli is in a class of their own. Disney/Pixar are masters of their craft for sure but all 3 of these have their share of success and failure. IMO nobody does magical lands/creatures and atmosphere better than Miyazaki. Can't place a favorite these 3 studios are all great.

After watching all the Ghibli movies you can't help to notice how preachy Miyazaki is about environmental issues. Pom Poko is exceptionally preachy. Thankfully he has toned it down in the past few movies and that message is more subdued

qindarka

Banned
Pom Poko isn't Miyazaki though. It was directed by Takahata. I'd say among Miyazaki's movies that Nausicaa is the preachiest on environmental issues.

Sushigod7

After watching all the Ghibli movies you can't help to notice how preachy Miyazaki is about environmental issues. Pom Poko is exceptionally preachy. Thankfully he has toned it down in the past few movies and that message is more subdued

I see what your saying, I can't help but agree with the message though it never bothered me. Over development is a worldwide problem so I can see why he uses it.

edit: oops should have combined the posts.

Necrovex

Yes it's all 7 volumes, Book 1 is 1-4 Book 2 5-7. 1104 pages total!! Get it now Amazon is back ordered 1 to 3 weeks.

Gah, I have to wait until my Financial Aid comes in.

Edit: Screw it, I don't want the item to disappear, or I will have to pay for the $60 tag on it. I must get that discount! I have completed my purchase!

Sushigod7

Gah, I have to wait until my Financial Aid comes in.

Edit: Screw it, I don't want the item to disappear, and I have to pay for the $60 tag on it.

iUogjNUK8OKkx.jpeg

Branduil

Pom Poko isn't Miyazaki though. It was directed by Takahata. I'd say among Miyazaki's movies that Nausicaa is the preachiest on environmental issues.

Nausicaa was pretty preachy, but Princess Mononoke is basically the most even-handed environmental fable told in film. And it's a much better story than Avatar.

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
My favourite by far has always been Howl's Moving Castle. Something about the world just... resonated with me. Then again, I have only seen a couple of Ghibli movies (Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the Heart, From Up on Poppy Hill, Nausicäa, Spirited Away), so... I definitely still want to see Porco Rosso, love the music! I actually bought a book full of Ghibli tabs for the Ukulele when I was studying abroad.
3AQmK.gif

Paper Fox

I haven't seen many Ghibli films, but I'm making it my mission to see them all, particularly Grave of the Fireflies.
And I also think that I'm the only one who didn't absolutely love Mononoke.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I haven't seen many Ghibli films, but I'm making it my mission to see them all, particularly Grave of the Fireflies.
And I also think that I'm the only one who didn't absolutely love Mononoke.

Mononoke is a slow-burner. You're either in the "I loved it from the first time I saw it!" camp, or the "this is slightly mediocre, I don't understand what the big hype for it is.." camp, but eventually everything clicks. I was a mixture of both at times.

All I can tell you is to let it rest for a while and watch it again in a few months time and see how it goes. Try to watch a few more of Miyazaki's efforts in between.

So, is the Kiki blu-ray out yet?

Only the Japanese domestic release.

FACE

Banned
Come on! It is not such a bad situation when the Japanese domestic release includes English dubbing and subtitles (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B008TNCYSQ/). If the yen change keeps that downwards adjustment against the dollar in the following weeks, you could maybe get this with an even more advantageous import price.

There's a steep import tax here in Brazil(60% of the original price). When we get stuff(like Ponyo) it's usually after the US release :\

epmode

I'm planning on buying the Japanese release of Princess Mononoke because of the licensing issues but we have a good shot for the others, right? Japanese blu ray prices are scary.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm planning on buying the Japanese release of Princess Mononoke because of the licensing issues but we have a good shot for the others, right? Japanese blu ray prices are scary.

Wait, which ghibli movies that might have low chance to release in US other than Princess Mononoke?

Sushigod7

Yeah I'd be importing asap if it was released. I'm going to start working on the BR versions I have most in a combination but will start replacing DVD's. First up Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle then hopefully this year Japan will release Spirited Away or Mononoke on BR.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What licensing issues are they having with Princess Mononoke? Thought it was just the usual, Disney sitting on their butts.

Sushigod7

What licensing issues are they having with Princess Mononoke? Thought it was just the usual, Disney sitting on their butts.

Basically Miramax (no longer subsidiary of Disney) held the rights in the US for it, they don't anymore it lapsed so no one has it. Disney may pick it up someday hopefully Lasseter will do it he loves Miyazaki.

cj_iwakura

Basically Miramax (no longer subsidiary of Disney) held the rights in the US for it, they don't anymore it lapsed so no one has it. Disney may pick it up someday hopefully Lasseter will do it he loves Miyazaki.

So uh, can't Disney just grab it and release it?

And what's wrong with Only Yesterday?

Sushigod7

So uh, can't Disney just grab it and release it?

And what's wrong with Only Yesterday?

They should I don't know why they wouldn't but I'm not doing negotiations for them either. I guess it didn't do well in the theaters so it's possible they could be worried about profits.

Eusis

I was worrying that Disney thought it went a bit too far for the clean image they want, and thought Miramax simply didn't exist at all as a label to put it through. If the rights are free again though then I hope Disney acts fast and doesn't let the gorier bits stop them, I really want to have that in blu-ray.

Paper Fox

Mononoke is a slow-burner. You're either in the "I loved it from the first time I saw it!" camp, or the "this is slightly mediocre, I don't understand what the big hype for it is.." camp, but eventually everything clicks. I was a mixture of both at times.

All I can tell you is to let it rest for a while and watch it again in a few months time and see how it goes. Try to watch a few more of Miyazaki's efforts in between.

I concur. It didn't help that the movie was already so hyped, so I was expecting something really spectacular. I didn't think it was a bad movie by any means, it just didn't grab me like the others did. I'll watch it again sometime this year.

Necrovex

I am of the belief that Amazon will never ship out the Nausicaa manga boxset. It will forever be stuck in my 'open orders.' :-(

cj_iwakura

I concur. It didn't help that the movie was already so hyped, so I was expecting something really spectacular. I didn't think it was a bad movie by any means, it just didn't grab me like the others did. I'll watch it again sometime this year.

I had a weird experience with Mononoke. Someone let me borrow a fansub and I thought it was nothing special.

Saw the dub in theaters and was blown away.

Sushigod7

I guess I was lucky I knew very little of Ghibli films and my wife introduced me to Totoro I was blown away. Then started watching more films little by little. Mononoke is my second favorite film just because of the subject matter and the scale of the movie in general. I can see how it wouldn't be instantly lovable though.

It isn't really Ghibli, but having watched Castle of Cagliostro recently I'd say that it's probably Miyazaki's best work. It feels well paced and the script moves quickly but always makes sense with competent action. I love his work but a lot of his other films feel almost like he's making things up as he goes.

GCX

It isn't really Ghibli, but having watched Castle of Cagliostro recently I'd say that it's probably Miyazaki's best work. It feels well paced and the script moves quickly but always makes sense with competent action. I love his work but a lot of his other films feel almost like he's making things up as he goes.
Miyazaki movies are produced in a way that the production begins before he has finished up the storyboards. He wants the script to find its natural conclusion during the production or something like that.

Most of the time the method works well but with a movie like Howl's Moving Castle you can see he kinda wrote himself in a corner.

Sushigod7

Ah man that is one of my fav's, it's actually kind of hard to find on DVD now. Was on Netflix for awhile I saw it there.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I still haven't gotten my Nausicaa boxset from Amazon after 2 months. Normally I would have kept the dented version they sent me, but Nausicaa means a lot to me and I wanted it in pristine condition.

Sushigod7

I still haven't gotten my Nausicaa boxset from Amazon after 2 months. Normally I would have kept the dented version they sent me, but Nausicaa means a lot to me and I wanted it in pristine condition.

Mine had a small nick in the binding on one book I opted for the discount I didn't want to wait for a replacements.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was looking up Miazaki's Japanese blurays, and I have a couple questions:

Is the quality of the Japanese masters pretty much the same as their US counterparts, like they just use the same one?

How are the menus and extras on the JP Miyazaki blus?

I saw a listing for Howl's Japanese blu on target.com, and its only $45. Is that an error? Sounds too good to be true.

Top Bottom